• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Console prices adjusted for inflation...goddamn

dreamcast really was a steal. Teh fuk were gamers thinking back then.

"Why would I waste $200 on a system that plays N64 quality games when I could just wait another year an get Toy Story quality graphics?"

"No Madden, no buy."

"Pssh, Sonic is so last week. It's all about the Bandicoot now."

"After the shit show that was the Saturn, I just can't trust Sega anymore."

"...I'll wait until it hits $99."

ReBurn

Gold Member
For all those in the thread with poor memories...

sonyprice.jpg

But two jobs and no games.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
The NES and PS1 are the craziest when you consider how many people bought them.

Not really. The basic NES was either $80 or $99 in 1987. The $200 was for the one with ROB and the light gun. They had a 3rd sku that came with the Gun. All systems came with 2 controllers and at least SMB.

Interesting if true.

I always thought the response to the PS3 was a little over the top given how much I paid for a Saturn and how much some other consoles had cost. Particularly given you were getting a blu-ray player. Now I can see if you didn't want a blu-ray player being a little chuffed, but even then, it never seemed that insane to me. This would seem to validate that standpoint.

I must say I don't remember the dreamcast being that cheap. What a fucking awesome system - Sega's PS4 moment when they finally "got it" but for them just too late.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Not really. The basic NES was either $80 or $99 in 1987. The $200 was for the one with ROB and the light gun. They had a 3rd sku that came with the Gun. All systems came with 2 controllers and at least SMB.

I had the one with ROB and Gyromite. Such a terrible gimmick, but I played it anyway.

jvm

Gamasutra.
lol the subtitle for the second graph is wrong

Should be "absolute terms" as it's the official price it launched with at the time

Both graphs are labeled adjusted for inflation which is incorrect
Indeed! So much for the editors! ;)

I'll get it fixed tomorrow. I don't have direct access to the image storage.

Thanks!

interesting.. five of the six 'cheapest' consoles are nintendo ones. goes to show they have always been aiming for a slightly different audience in a way.

also you can see here that the sixth gen had the most competitive pricing, probably because there were four companies competing. good times..

Could also mean they don't like to dabble in more expensive/more powerful hardware

Has Nintendo ever had the most powerful console in any given generation? Probably at least once right? Would have to be prior to N64 though

IISANDERII

There was a thread a while ago that demonstrated that the way they account for inflation is flawed so don't take this too seriously.

RisingZan

Neo Member
All this does is reconfirm how much my parents love me (yes I equate Christmas console gifts with an emotional connection).

JordanN

Banned
"Why would I waste $200 on a system that plays N64 quality games when I could just wait another year an get Toy Story quality graphics?"

"No Madden, no buy."

"Pssh, Sonic is so last week. It's all about the Bandicoot now."

"After the shit show that was the Saturn, I just can't trust Sega anymore."

"...I'll wait until it hits $99."
I don't know anyone who thought Dreamcast was a N64. It was always viewed as being more powerful than last gen but PS2 would still crush it in the end.

Same goes for Bandicoot. I never heard of anyone put down Sonic in favor of him.

Zebetite

Banned
In hindsight, the Wii's launch price is more than a little absurd considering the Gamecube was $99 at that point. The first Nintendo console to launch at more than $200 and it wasnt even really a generation leap in hardware.

Then again, they probably desperately needed to make a profit on the console at that point considering the N64 and Gamecube didn't set the world on fire and they'd lost a lot of third party support (and therefore, licensing money).

Dire

Rather than looking at this in a vacuum it'd be much more interesting side-by-side with comparable computer prices of the time adjusted for inflation.

Dregun

Banned
These numbers mean little as people still had the same percentage of disposable income back then as well..probably a little higher!

So while a NES might have been $200, a gallon of gas was only $0.93, yes Ninety-Three cents!

Here's some stats from 1986 (when NES was on sale for $200)

Median Household Income: $24,897.00 (2074 a month Pre Tax)
Cost of a new home: $89,430 or ($785 Month with interest)
Cost of a gallon of regular gas: $0.93
Cost of a dozen eggs: $0.87
Cost of a gallon of Milk: $2.22

Likewise, this is the data I could find for 2012

Median Household Income: $55,030 (4,585 a Month pre tax)
Cost of a new home: $236,000 or (1,154 Month with interest)
Cost of a gallon of regular gas: $3.50
Cost of a dozen eggs: $1.61
Cost of a Gallon of Milk: $3.36

Back in the late 80's is when dual incomes started to happen, as such other expenses are common now that offset that additional income. Instead of 1 vehicle, now their is 2; along with double the cost of insurance (that I can't even find reliable data on) and double the amount of gas consumed,

Also lets not forget the new costs we have today, Internet, Cellphones, Netflix/Hulu/Prime that didn't exist back then.

It might seem that with the cost of inflation consoles were expensive, this is just what people want you to believe. Fact is we still have the same percentage of income left after expenses as we did in the 80's, 90's etc etc.

2012 Monthly Expenses
Food $604
Cable/Sat/Internet = $145
Cellphone x 2 = $135
Car Payments 2 x $300 = 600
Car Insurance for 2 Vehicles $155
30 Gallons of Gas x 2 Vehicles per month = $210
Mortgage = $1,154

Total without heat, electric etc = $3,003 (income after = $1582) or (34% of income)

1986 Monthly Expenses
Food $326
Cable $36 (most still had OTA unlike now)
Cellphone replaced with land line = $15.25
Car Payment x 1 = $132
Car Insurance x 1 = $43
30 Gallons of Gas x 1 Vehicle per month = $26.10
Mortgage = $785

Total without heat, electric etc = $1363 (income after = $711) or (34% of income)

Different times back then, we think $200 for a console now is cheap because most of us spend more than that on Gas for our car a month. Yet, back then 1 months worth of gas couldn't buy you a single GAME! Now a months worth of gas can buy you 3!

The real kicker!! That $50k figure above for median income..well that is skewed because now more than any other time in our history a large gap exists between the super wealthy and the poor. So for every multi-millionaire their are 200-300 people only making about 15k-25k a year! Throw those figures into the mix and normal Norman doesn't have 34% of his income left..he's got less than 12%!

Probably more in depth then anyone cares to read..but whatever.

NeoGash

I can't relate to this at all. The PS1&2 were $700 here in Australia, and the PS3 was $1000. The PS4 is $550. Don't know what it is, but Sony like bending Australian's over so damn much.

Cipherr

What was it exactly about the NeoGeo hardware wise that towered over the other consoles of the time? IIRC I remember hearing is was storage space on its carts but I never verified that.

Everyone knew it was a beast in comparison to the cheaper consoles but I never knew exactly what it was.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
What was it exactly about the NeoGeo hardware wise that towered over the other consoles of the time? IIRC I remember hearing is was storage space on its carts but I never verified that.

Everyone knew it was a beast in comparison to the cheaper consoles but I never knew exactly what it was.
It was an arcade machine with a cartridge slot.

Anyone who frequented arcades in the early to mid 90s understood exactly why that was a big deal, even if none of us could ever afford it.

Top Bottom