• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bebpo

Banned
HyperZone<3 said:
How was Michigan?
or Michigan: Report from Hell, as our european brethern know it.

I heard it sucks and that basically their pre-Killer 7 games were incredibly low budget to the point that it hurt the quality of the games. I'm kinda interested in checking out their older stuff but I'm also thinking I might just look forward to their upcoming stuff instead :p

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Thanks for impressions guys.

About the pouch, I really like the way it looks and want one for my DS Lite....it seems a bit big though. Any chance for some pictures of impressions? Is it only suitable for a normal DS?

How do i get one btw? Too late now?

kaizoku said:
Thanks for impressions guys.

About the pouch, I really like the way it looks and want one for my DS Lite....it seems a bit big though. Any chance for some pictures of impressions? Is it only suitable for a normal DS?

How do i get one btw? Too late now?

I am using it for my DSLite and it works fine. It just seems like it would be a tight fit for a normal DS. With the lite it just has some breathing room.

You might be able to get your hands on one, the stores in den den town are selling them with the game still. Must not have sold very well the first day(of course) -_-

Jonnyram

I thought I'd had a couple of boss fights until I reached the first actual proper boss :lol
I wasn't quite prepared for that, so I'm going to have to try again. This game is rocking my socks off though. I've been levelling up all three weapon types evenly so far and got some nice bits of loot in the meantime. I love the NPCs and the way the story is told - it's really charming. I think Mother fans will probably like this a lot.

But we still need to try out the wi-fi stuff. BudokaiMR2, have you set up a friend code yet?

Haha I have just gotten to I guess my third boss real boss fight. It is pretty crazy and I tried once and failed miserably. Best way I can describe it is:
Crazy ass flying pyramid on the top screen while it shows you trapped inside it on the bottom in a wire-frame pyramid with wireframe zombie guys rotating around you.
I'll go back later tonight to try and figure it out haha.

I actually missed a couple of outfits by being stupid and then went back to get them. The way you get the later ones is pretty hilarious. Damn the writing is great.

I gotta say this is one of the most refreshing RPGs I have played in a while. Been pretty burnt out on the genre lately.

I'll try and set my friend code up tonight. Just gotta rummage around and find my dongle heh.

duckroll

Okay so when I get my DS Lite, I need:

- Bleach DS
- Contact

I think I had a longer list sometime back, but when the DS Lite proved impossible to attain at launch I kinda forgot. :(

Anyone wanna remind me?

duckroll said:
Okay so when I get my DS Lite, I need:

- Bleach DS
- Contact

I think I had a longer list sometime back, but when the DS Lite proved impossible to attain at launch I kinda forgot. :(

Anyone wanna remind me?

Metroid? Tetris? Kirby? Phoenix Wright? Castlevania? Hell I dunno, haha.

On another note I tried to convince a friend to pick up Contact last friday, but when I saw him today he told me he got Xenosaga DS instead, which I warned him about. Seriously I have started questioning his intelligence and taste on games lately. He even explained to me that the PS2 version of Xenosaga bored him, but he has high hopes for the DS version(wtf?) so I just laughed.

He then explained to me that he was not wholly dissapointed because the battle system was 'old school'.

duckroll

BudokaiMR2 said:
Metroid? Tetris? Kirby? Phoenix Wright? Castlevania? Hell I dunno, haha.

Metroid? LOL NO. I don't even like Metroid Prime. :p

Tetris DS! OH YES! I dunno how I forgot that one! ^_^

Kirby is pink and gay. No thanks.

Phoenix Wright, I'll get that just for the Alex O Smith translation. :D

Igavania? Ugh don't make me puke. :(

Ok so it's looking like:

- Bleach DS
- Contact
- Tetris DS
- Phoenix Wright

duckroll

Jonnyram said:
I know you're gonna get Xenosaga really, but you're just hiding it from us ;P

crying.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
duckroll said:
Metroid? LOL NO. I don't even like Metroid Prime. :p

Tetris DS! OH YES! I dunno how I forgot that one! ^_^

Phoenix Wright, I'll get that just for the Alex O Smith translation. :D

Igavania? Ugh don't make me puke. :(

Ok so it's looking like:

- Bleach DS
- Contact
- Tetris DS
- Phoenix Wright

I hate Kirby. I love Kirby: Canvas Curse. True story. It is the only Kirby that is worth being a Nintendo franchise!
Also Castlevania DS rocks :(

Question about Contact:

I haven't liked any Suda games so far. But, the more relevant thing is... would I, as a devout follower of the church of Mother, find this game appealing? Yes, yes... I know everything is but a pale imitation by its side. But as a companion piece to GOTG Mother 3, do you think Contact is worthy? It seems like there's a pretty positive reaction to this game, and I admit the graphics/art did give me a woody when I saw it. How is the humour? Please do not compare it directly to Mother for in its shadow nothing can live up, but reasonably speaking is this a worthy addition to my library (especially if I never intend to do the WiFi thing)?

duckroll said:

Oh you forgot one of the best touch screen uses ever. Plus the nice bright colors show of the DSLite perfectly. <shrug>

edit:

Amir0x said:
I hate Kirby. I love Kirby: Canvas Curse. True story.

QFT, I have never touched a Kirby game before Touch Kirby. It is an absolutely genius game that I still go back to for the Time and Line trials.

Jonnyram

Another awesome part of Contact's game system: Food!
You can buy foodstuffs and also get them from dead enemies. Some food is edible as is, while some needs cooking first. Cooking is a fun thing in its own right, but the food itself is fantastic.

Most food seems to heal a bit, as a base, and then provide extra stats on top of that for a certain amount of time, e.g. roast chicken may give you extra strength for 5 mins, while drinking cola will reduce your intelligence for a while. On top of this, there is a stomach icon which fills up a little when you eat food, and when it is full you can eat no more. Your character burps if you try to give him some. So there's a crafty maximum for how much you can heal in boss battles, while maintaining an awesome sense of reality.

gimz

oh i was hoping this game has a US release date when i first read the name of this topic, but oh well, hope it comes to North America

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
gimz said:
oh i was hoping this game has a US release date when i first read the name of this topic, but oh well, hope it comes to North America

It is. Atlus. July.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Bebpo said:
http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/929857.asp

Only two reviews so far. I gave it the 8.8 and play gave it an 8. I expect scores around 8ish all around. It's a really fantastic game but it's also really repetitive and simple in gameplay mechanics kinda like Killer 7 and Contact. Grasshopper seems to be good at making games with well-thoughout cool gameplay mechanics and then throwing the player through a repetitive situation (Killer 7, shooting; Champloo, slashing, Contact, fighting) over nad over but it's saved by the amazing presentation they keep on at all times which makes you want to see more of the story so you don't mind the repetition.

Doesn't play always give stupidly high ratings? I remember them giving a ridiculously high score for Minority Report when it came out.

mutsu

This question might be answered already, but I can't be bothered reading the entire thread...

How many hours of gameplay does this game have?

Thanks.

TheTrin said:
Doesn't play always give stupidly high ratings? I remember them giving a ridiculously high score for Minority Report when it came out.
Play is the home to Dave "Cybermorph" Halverson, so yeah, their reviews skew a little high.:lol

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
mutsu said:
This question might be answered already, but I can't be bothered reading the entire thread...

How many hours of gameplay does this game have?

Thanks.
would you rather play Super Mario Bros or Superman 64?

Forget the length. It's the experience that counts. :)

Amir0x

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Another awesome part of Contact's game system: Food!
You can buy foodstuffs and also get them from dead enemies. Some food is edible as is, while some needs cooking first. Cooking is a fun thing in its own right, but the food itself is fantastic.

Most food seems to heal a bit, as a base, and then provide extra stats on top of that for a certain amount of time, e.g. roast chicken may give you extra strength for 5 mins, while drinking cola will reduce your intelligence for a while. On top of this, there is a stomach icon which fills up a little when you eat food, and when it is full you can eat no more. Your character burps if you try to give him some. So there's a crafty maximum for how much you can heal in boss battles, while maintaining an awesome sense of reality.

That sounds really cool.

Dignified companion to Mother 3 confirmed. Will purchase on release.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Farore said:
Atlus... so... this game will be hard to find... damn! >__<
Atlus has been getting much, much better in distribution lately.

Trauma Center was all over the damn place for the first month or two it was out, and I still see copies every now and then in stores.

Sagitario

GaimeGuy said:
Atlus has been getting much, much better in distribution lately.

Trauma Center was all over the damn place for the first month or two it was out, and I still see copies every now and then in stores.

Well, that's good for USA people :) ...

For those (like me) who live in Latinamerica (don't know about Europe), Atlus games are hard to find and really expensive (Trauma Center is $50+ here)...

mutsu

GaimeGuy said:
would you rather play Super Mario Bros or Superman 64?

Forget the length. It's the experience that counts. :)

Yeah I know what you mean, Ouendan is probably a classic example of this.

Still, I want to know how much I can get out of this game before I put my money down on this. I've got a family to sustain you know!

Emotions

Farore said:
Well, that's good for USA people :) ...

For those (like me) who live in Latinamerica (don't know about Europe), Atlus games are hard to find and really expensive (Trauma Center is $50+ here)...

I'm from Latin America too and so far i have the 3 Atlus DS releases : Puyo Pop Fever, Trauma Center and Snowboard Kids .They were widely available at launch.
On a side note i'm so getting this game, i fully support these kind of experimental and quirky games. We usually get the games here in like 4 or 5 days after the US lunch, so that's when i'll get it.:D

Sagitario

Emotions said:
I'm from Latin America too and so far i have the 3 Atlus DS releases : Puyo Pop Fever, Trauma Center and Snowboard Kids .They were widely available at launch.
On a side note i'm so getting this game, i fully support these kind of experimental and quirky games. We usually get the games here in like 4 or 5 days after the US lunch, so that's when i'll get it.:D

¿De qué país? Soy de México. En ninguna tienda he visto juegos de Atlus en mi ciudad, en línea sólo he encontrado 1 con Trauma Center (y no tiene los otros dos juegos que mencionas).
In case that non-Spanish talking GAFers [99% od the forum :p] are interested on what I said:
Country? I'm from México. I haven't seen TC in any store in my city, and only 1 on-line store here carries it (and that store doesn't have PPF or SK)...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Bebpo said:
I heard it sucks and that basically their pre-Killer 7 games were incredibly low budget to the point that it hurt the quality of the games. I'm kinda interested in checking out their older stuff but I'm also thinking I might just look forward to their upcoming stuff instead :p

I really want to find a copy of Flower Sun and Rain. There was another one they did for PSone that was supposed to be fantastic.

Everyone seems to have forgotten about this title. I have been busy and haven't been able to put too much time into it lately but still having a blast when I do.

How does everyone feel when it comes to the soundtrack? At first I didn't feel there was anything special, but a lot of them have grown on me. Anyone know who it was who composed it? Same guy as Killer7?

Oh and one question for people who may be farther than me:

I have just gotten past the pyramid island and made it to the huge island that is an electronics store with the evil fridges and vacuum cleaners. But there is still one loose end at the pyramid island. I have to take the 6 different stones/artifacts to the one treasure hunter guy. I have 5 of them, and I even bought the document and got access to the 2nd out of the way pyramid. I got the 1 piece inside there, but I can't find the last one. There is still one guy in the village that lost some boxing gloves, maybe he will give it to me if I trade him gloves(I haven't found any yet..)

Anyone know? Hopefully I can get some playtime in today. I am curious to see how much longer I have to go.

Jonnyram

I think you're way further than me...
I'm still at
Area 52
. I just haven't had much time to play recently.

Jonnyram said:
I think you're way further than me...
I'm still at
Area 52
. I just haven't had much time to play recently.

That was a pretty nice island, the first two or three screens with the lake in the backgroud were just beautiful.

One warning though, I went through the whole area and some of the other island without getting a costume from there. Make sure you don't make the same mistake.

Jonnyram

Ah, at what point do you get the
"Steals"
costume by the way?
I've found lots of stuff that needs it, but I may have missed it already?

Jonnyram said:
Ah, at what point do you get the
"Steals"
costume by the way?
I've found lots of stuff that needs it, but I may have missed it already?

You get it from a quest that starts on the pyramid island. I thought the same thing, but you are not supposed to have it. There is a letter from the dungeon that starts it. I missed the letter until like my fourth time through though...

I gotta hurry up and finish homework so I can put some time in the game. =)

Jonnyram

Some great info on the wi-fi stuff at GameFAQs:

NatsumeMan said:
If you "contact" other friends through the wi-fi connection, they will appear in your game with their own personally written comments as NPCs that you can talk to. (And you will appear in theirs.)

As the number of friends that you've contacted online increases, you will gain skill bonuses, get new items, and unlock certain areas like Waiwai Island (Waiwai is like "Yay yay!") Waiwai Island is where your friends will reside. A maximum of 8 friends can live there.

Contacting friends will not only unlock stuff in Waiwai Island, but also items and NPCs in the regular game areas.

To clarify, it is not a multiplayer online RPG. It is just a game that simply takes advantage of the fact that your DS can contact other gamers.

Looks like we need to get this sorted out asap.
Who's up for trading IDs?

Also, Budokai, I'm kind of stuck on the boss of
area 52
Loads of soldiers keep coming out - should I be attacking something else instead of wasting time on them? I am already really low on potions because of the fights in the run up to the boss
. Also, that knife that you give to the soldier by the sea - can you ever get it again? I seem to recall him saying there's only one - but I was hoping I could get a complete inventory list :(

Jonnyram said:
Some great info on the wi-fi stuff at GameFAQs:

Looks like we need to get this sorted out asap.
Who's up for trading IDs?

Also, Budokai, I'm kind of stuck on the boss of
area 52
Loads of soldiers keep coming out - should I be attacking something else instead of wasting time on them? I am already really low on potions because of the fights in the run up to the boss
. Also, that knife that you give to the soldier by the sea - can you ever get it again? I seem to recall him saying there's only one - but I was hoping I could get a complete inventory list :(

Once I figure out why my stupid dongle isn't working I will post mine. Can't seem to get it to work even though it worked fine before with Bleach DS.

Yeah there is a machine on the top of the room that you can attack. What I did was save up my EP points till the boss and then wail on the machine until the soldiers came. Then I would get surrounded and use the spin sword attack to take them down a bit. I think you can only attack the machine between the soldier respawns. And you should find another Army Knife. I think I had a couple to sell.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
This still coming in July?
I'm very excited for it.

I can't wait to play with the other... uh... 6,000 japanese players :(

Jonnyram

BudokaiMR2 said:
Yeah there is a machine on the top of the room that you can attack. What I did was save up my EP points till the boss and then wail on the machine until the soldiers came. Then I would get surrounded and use the spin sword attack to take them down a bit. I think you can only attack the machine between the soldier respawns. And you should find another Army Knife. I think I had a couple to sell.
I got past it a day or two ago :)

I'm in the blasted pyramids now. Man, I'm not sure which is the story one and which is the optional one, but both seem to be pretty crazy! I'm missing a sword in the list and I was trying to be complete. Do you know what comes between Butterfly Knife and Sabre? I guess I could look up a Japanese wiki... ;)

Yeah the pyramid area was probably my favorite. The part with the
Girl who strips off her racing clothes and takes off in her car was just genius

Oh and I finally got my stupid nintendongle to work. Here is my code:

2620 6235 9070

ID is Comet

Troidal

jj984jj said:
Anybody play this and Mother yet? How do the two compare?

Yeah I was wondering the same thing, because every one of my co-workers seem to be hooked by the recently released Mother 3. I have never played any of them, but I am looking into buying Contact...

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
John Harker said:
This still coming in July?
I'm very excited for it.

I can't wait to play with the other... uh... 6,000 japanese players :(

And the US players who aren't spoiled by Mother games! (well not since 1959!). I really hope this game does better in the US... Atlus is bringing it right? Hmmm It won't have good promotion here either, then. But considering Atlus is all excited that Trauma Center sold 70k, then maybe it doesn't have to sell a whole lot to make them happy.

Troidal

Well, I picked up the game yesterday.
Played for a few hours, my brief impressions so far:

+Nice graphics. I like how they split it up with NES and SNES style graphics on the top and bottom screens respectively.

+Quirky and humorous dialogues.

+Character design. The space dog that wants to become a cat is so cute :)

-Wish the professor does more than just throw comments at you (I know I need to heal my HP professor! Why don't you just heal me instead, damn it!).

-You can play the game without a stylus, so far the DS "touch" elements are mostly used as an alternative control scheme. The decal feature feels more like a gimmick. Wish there are more "touch" gimmicks than what's being presented...are there?

I like the game though, but feels average at this point. I have no complaints with the art and presentation though...it's certainly different and refreshing from the typical handheld RPGs.

Jonnyram

How far have you got? You might not have witnessed some of the more amusing events yet. Also, there are some things that can only be done with touch screen, but that's best left unspoiled until later. I've just got the Steals costume, so I've been going around looking for the stuff I missed. Seems I still can't open some of the chests because I need to level up my stealing skill :(

I've been cooking lots of stuff though. Mmmmm.

mutsu

Hope this game drops in price soon so I can get a piece of the fun too.

Too much games to buy recently so don't have full budget for this...

Troidal

Is it just me, or is this game pretty challenging?

I am at
Area 52
and good lord it's hella tough. Do you have to level grind to get passed each section? Cuz it feels very much that way so far with this game :/

Troidal said:
Is it just me, or is this game pretty challenging?

I am at
Area 52
and good lord it's hella tough. Do you have to level grind to get passed each section? Cuz it feels very much that way so far with this game :/

I haven't really level grinded at all, and I am at the final dungeon now. It definitely isn't easy, but I don't think the difficulty is too bad...

Does the touchscreen controlscheme work well? I read part of the battle system requires using the touchscreen and I dont like ds games that switch back and forth.

Probationsmack said:
Does the touchscreen controlscheme work well? I read part of the battle system requires using the touchscreen and I dont like ds games that switch back and forth.

I find that it works alright. I usually play switching between the two. Or I wil sometimes use them in combination.

I just beat the game last night- So awesome.

Top Bottom