• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Content that never made it into games

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
AceBandage said:
Wait, what?
Did something happen to Aeris that I'm unaware of? I haven't beaten FF7 yet.
I'm so sorry I'm going to be the one to tell you this, but Aeris... Aeris... is a man.

fernoca

Lyonaz said:
Yeah but the DC extra/DLC that you can finish within 1-2 hours, is just not the same as a full game. =(

I miss old school Resident Evils.
There are 2 chapters; they've only shown one..and you could and can finish "old school RE games" in under 2 hours...so it is kinda the same.. :p

genjiZERO

EXGN said:
[Loads of SotC pics]

Aren't these just concepts though, and not things cut from the final game? My understanding is that they made loads of colossi, but chose the ones that worked best for the
game.

Roxas

AceBandage said:
Wait, what?
Did something happen to Aeris that I'm unaware of? I haven't beaten FF7 yet.

There's a ghost of her in the church after you revisit Midgar, and apparently if you use a gameshark and keep her in your party after she dies, she has some unique dialogue.

tass0

Banned
HL2 lovers will like this.

In 2002/2003 a nice German man hacked into Valve's network and stole the source code of HL2+HL1 Source+CSS+Team Fortress 2 and stole every single HL2 map they had, maps even dating to 1999.

Funny that looking at this map pack, HL2 was basically and entirely different game, here are some nice shots of what could of been..

Air Exchange:

Airex_reactor_inside_1.jpg

750px-Airex_inside.jpg

750px-AirEx_reactor_pistons.jpg

750px-Proto_docks_fixed0006.jpg

750px-D2_airex_060011.jpg

Here is the first test level ever shown to the media:

Get_Your_Free_TVs.jpg

750px-City_test03010.jpg

^ rebuilded from the map pack

800px-City_test03_005.jpg

Borealis:

750px-Borealis-ice.jpg

750px-D3_borealis_020000.jpg

229px-Borealis_worker.jpg

^ Crew member alive, every crew member was originally supposed to be murdered

Seems like Valve have run out of ideas since they are bringing back the Borealis for Episode 3.

Some random stuff:

(Bullsquids were in HL2
Bullsquids_canals.jpg

Stalkers(for some reason these guys would fire red laser beams from their eyes)
315px-Stalker_beta.jpg

Combine guard
346px-Combine_guard.jpg

Old menus:

HL2_background_Dark_Messiah.png

800px-Playable_beta_menu.png

and many, many, many, many more stuff...

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
IIRC in Crysis there was originally planned a "final act" where the Americans and Koreans would team up together to fight against the aliens. But I think EA getting involved put the brakes on that as they wanted sequels.

bernardobri said:
A lot of content in MGS2, you can see the original plan on this PDF

Some tidbits:

- The Ninja on the Plant Chapter was supposed to be a female robot that would change her voice & personality based on whoever was closer (Snake->Meryl, Otacon->Sniper Wolf)
- The player would have been given the choice of saving either Emma or the President, and Snake would rescue the remaining one.
- Johnny Sasaki was intented to be killed after making contact with Raiden and giving him a keycard.
- The original Codec staff of Raiden where intented to be more people (everyone being an AI), with similar roles of the MGS1 crew. Most of them were references to the New York book series "City of Glass", and later where mixed with the main ones.

There was an "escape scene" in the tanker where Snake would have to outrun the water gushing into the tanker. It was cut because Kojima didn't think it was fun.

Zenith said:
Arma's wildlife

Reminds me of FarCry 2. IIRC they intended to have lions/tigers/etc but removed them because they couldn't get the AI right or something.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
dygiT said:
If we're talking about endings here, I wanna know where the ending to MW2 and Borderlands went.

Well Westwood literally cut the ending to EotB to save a floppy disc. When you kill the end guy you are kicked immediately to a dos prompt with a "Congrats YOU WIN!" message :lol

Kade

Number 2 said:
Well Westwood literally cut the ending to EotB to save a floppy disc. When you kill the end guy you are kicked immediately to a dos prompt with a "Congrats YOU WIN!" message :lol

That sucks. At least you got a message of encouragement at the end.

Phreaker

Phantom Dust (Xbox):

The Station
489.jpg

491.jpg

Yukio Futatsugi (creator) Interview:

Xboxphreaker.com: Was there any content (maps, skills, school) that didn't make it into the final game? If so, can you tell us something about them?

Futatsugi-san: スキルはアイデアだけなら500ぐらいありました。その中から整理して削って、今のスキルになっています。マップは当初はもっとたくさんつくる予定でしたね。アイデアとしてあったのは、
「水族館」

これは、廃墟となった水族館になぜか水が張っていあり、魚だけが泳いでいる。水槽の中だけがライトアップされて、戦闘で壊れると消える。床には水が薄く張ってある、というようなイメージでした。
「駅」
もうひとつは駅です。東京の地下鉄は複雑に入り組んでいて、ひとつの駅が立体的に構成されています。そこに記憶の列車を走らせて、列車にのると他のホームに移動できる。列車の中にカプセルを置く。というような動的なマップを作成したいと考えていました。

まぁ、両方とも実際に作るとなると作業量が膨大であきらめましたが360でならつくれたと思います。

他には、対専用の専用マップも案としたありました。しかし、ノーマルマップを含むレベルデザインの作成には思った以上に時間がかかり、またデザイナーが開発環境に慣れるのにも時間がかかり、あれ以上のマップの作成は難しかったですね。

We had more than 500 skill ideas. From that large batch we organized them, edited them, and cut them down to the present level. At first, we had intended to create a lot more environments, including:

The Aquarium
This would be the ruins of an aquarium, with only water and fish still remaining. Only in the middle of the fish tanks would be lit up, and that light would be destroyed as players fought and destroyed things around them.

We also envisioned the floor to have leaking water on it.

The Station
The other stage we had in the planning stages was a station. In Tokyo there are a number of different subway lines, and we wanted to isolate one of them and make that into a 3D stage. In that one area there would be a memory train that was still running. Players could ride that train to different platforms. Inside the trains we would place the regenerating capsules. This is one of the very dynamic stages I had wanted to make.

You know, practically speaking it was just too much production work for our time to make these two maps, but I think we could have done it if we were creating the game on Xbox 360…

Lastly, we had also wanted to create maps to be used exclusively for multiplayer, but creating stages took longer than expected. Including normal-mapping took longer than expected, then getting designers to be comfortable with the development took a lot of time, so map creation was quite difficult.

stilgar

It's impressive to think it hasn't happened since, but remember the cancelled photo mode in Perfect Dark :

583_2.jpg

617_2.jpg

Overall, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are full of last-minute-scrapped locations/characters/concepts. But this one may be the most interesting.

Kazenone

Roxas said:
There's a ghost of her in the church after you revisit Midgar, and apparently if you use a gameshark and keep her in your party after she dies, she has some unique dialogue.

This is actually a glitch. You can see her 'ghost' on disc 1 right after Tseng kidnaps her. Go back to the Church and it'll be there.

industrian

stilgar said:
It's impressive to think it hasn't happened since, but remember the cancelled photo mode in Perfect Dark :

583_2.jpg

617_2.jpg

Overall, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are full of last-minute-scrapped locations/characters/concepts. But this one may be the most interesting.

IIRC the cancellation of that was all due to Columbine.

Sonic Shuffle on the DC was going to have online play, but that was binned.

I remember reading about the gameboy camera compatibility with PD but then it was binned, me and a friend were quite upset when talking about who we were going to use as targets :lol

Kuraudo

Banned
San Andreas' hot coffee missions.

Resident Evil 3 had a lot of items dropped from the final game. One of the more intriguing ones being a remote control, both with and without batteries. I remember an interview with Mikami during the game's development where he was asked about new items and he said something to the affect of "wait until you see how to kill a zombie with a TV remote." I was kind of miffed when the only TV remote in the game wasn't an item and was used to solve a simple puzzle. It wasn't til years later that I discovered that there was an other remote, hidden away in the source code. Still want to know how it was intended to kill zombies though...

stilgar said:
Thanks, I had totally forgot that. Still, are there any games that enable such a customization?

Wow, totally forgot about that.

Didn't Rainbow Six or another Tom Clancy game let you take a photo of your head and play as yourself?

Anyway, I would love to see what Rare had of Conker 64 before transforming it into Bad Fur Day. Always seemed like they had a lot of stuff based on the trailers.

Was Mario 128 anything? Or was that just a tech demo?

Donkey Kong Racing. Still have a trailer of that on my hard drive. :lol

stilgar

Diablohead said:
Sonic Shuffle on the DC was going to have online play, but that was binned.

I remember reading about the gameboy camera compatibility with PD but then it was binned, me and a friend were quite upset when talking about who we were going to use as targets :lol

But it really would have been for diehard fans : GB+GB Camera+Transfer Pak :lol :lol :lol

Even worse than Four swords...

industrian

stilgar said:
Thanks, I had totally forgot that. Still, are there any games that enable such a customization?
VGChampion said:

Didn't Rainbow Six or another Tom Clancy game let you take a photo of your head and play as yourself?

Both the R6 Vegas games allow you to do it using the PS Eye and 360 Camera.

VGChampion said:

Anyway, I would love to see what Rare had of Conker 64 before transforming it into Bad Fur Day. Always seemed like they had a lot of stuff based on the trailers.

Was Mario 128 anything? Or was that just a tech demo?

Donkey Kong Racing. Still have a trailer of that on my hard drive. :lol

It was an idea concept, basically.
Bits and pieces have been used in various games, so far.

Roxas said:
The whole Aeris ghost/having dialogue after she died thing etc etc

Did they plan on her being brought back to life?

No. That was never the plan, since Aeris' passing was a symbolic connection to Sakaguchi's mother who passed away.

I am not sure if Sakaguchi's mother met with the same end, however.

Kade

DMeisterJ said:
What's the story behind the Fable content?

Peter Molyneux: IN FABLE YOU CAN DO ANYTHING! IT'S A BIG GAME WITH LOTS OF STUFF TO DO!!!!!!

Then he cut a shitload of stuff from the game.

Roxas

TheJollyCorner said:
No. That was never the plan, since Aeris' passing was a symbolic connection to Sakaguchi's mother who passed away.

I am not sure if Sakaguchi's mother met with the same end, however.

Perhaps, but this does not explain the dialogue she has if she is kept in the party (gameshark) after her death..

Edit: There isnt just this, there are a few other small things that suggest that killing off Aeris was a pretty last minute idea

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
dygiT said:
Peter Molyneux: IN FABLE YOU CAN DO ANYTHING! IT'S A BIG GAME WITH LOTS OF STUFF TO DO!!!!!!

Then he cut a shitload of stuff from the game.

"You can bump into a tree and knock an acorn off. The acorn will then grow into a new tree over the next few years. Birds that would not have been born will be born just because you bumped into a tree. The now living birds will lead to more cats being prevelant and a quest will open up 15 years after the tree bumping incident where you can help a woman look for her cat. If the tree wasnt bumped she never would have become a creepy cat lady and you could have wed her."

[Nintex]

Twilight Princess had so many changes during development(both based on beta screens/trailers but also Aonuma interviews and hands-on reports) that they can just release the content that never made it into the game as Twilight Princess 2.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Number 2 said:
"You can bump into a tree and knock an acorn off. The acorn will then grow into a new tree over the next few years. Birds that would not have been born will be born just because you bumped into a tree. The now living birds will lead to more cats being prevelant and a quest will open up 15 years after the tree bumping incident where you can help a woman look for her cat. If the tree wasnt bumped she never would have become a creepy cat lady and you could have wed her."

It's nice to want things, Molyneux. :|

Silent Hill 2 had some awesome scenes with Pyramid Head hunting you in the apartment house that were sadly removed from the final game.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
PetriP-TNT said:
Silent Hill 2 had some awesome scenes with Pyramid Head hunting you in the apartment house that were sadly removed from the final game.

Speaking of Silent Hill, IIRC the original SH was supposed to involve a satanic order worshipping the devil, and have satanic symbols scattered all over the town, but Sony (?) refused to let Konami pull it off, so it had to be changed to what is in the game as we know it.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Kaijima said:
I'm trying to find an article to back it up, but I'm pretty sure Aonuma once said that two dungeons were half finished for Zelda: The Wind Waker but scrapped due to lack of time (?).

These would have brought the dungeon count up to the normal Zelda total, IIRC. It always made me suspect the dreaded Triforce hunt and the boss gauntlet at the end of the game were quickly thrown together to extend the length of the game due to this issue.

this is probably the most heartbreaking missing content for me, considering how much i love WIND WAKER. more of it would only be better.

Gestahl

Roxas said:
Perhaps, but this does not explain the dialogue she has if she is kept in the party (gameshark) after her death..

Edit: There isnt just this, there are a few other small things that suggest that killing off Aeris was a pretty last minute idea

Where is this so-called dialogue?

And Aeris isn't the only thing you can see in the church if you go back. A bit of Reno's ugly mug glitches into view as well.

CamHostage

industrian said:
There was an "escape scene" in the tanker where Snake would have to outrun the water gushing into the tanker. It was cut because Kojima didn't think it was fun.

The tanker escape sequence was a huge loss for me, just because of how much the effect blew me away in the E3 trailers. There's a short non-interactive snippet (I think? or wait, was that not in either?) when Snake is escaping but the whole escape portion was cut so short that I really felt the rushjob effort done on MGS2. Still loved it (and I'm one of the few who praise the bold choice of having Raiden in) but it clearly was far too ambitious for the team, further compromises with the 9/11 event. I really wish Substance had been a more complete job, I would much rather have had completed scenes finished (or at least shown on video) then the skateboarding minigame.

While we're at it with MGS, however, kudos to the incredible Document of MGS2. Its menu is awkward but being able to move about in the cutscenes and see the duct tape and bubblegum behind the magic was really great. I also give credit to the awesome cut-material bonuses done in-game in God of War and Ratchet & Clank. I am disappointed that this hasn't caught on, I'd totally pay for DLC bonus content of games I cared about, that'd be a much better use of my extra $10 then the typical Special Edition version with its rushed-together behind-the-scenes documentary and some exclusive DLC. Developers have the luxury of not having to put all the bonus material on the disc these days and not having to impede the development schedule with junk snippets, this is another avenue to explore for fan relations and possibly revenue.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Kazenone said:
This is actually a glitch. You can see her 'ghost' on disc 1 right after Tseng kidnaps her. Go back to the Church and it'll be there.
Why is that a glitch? I've been hearing that it's a glitch for 12 years now.. But I really doubt it! I think that's just left over false lore from the days when everyone was convinced you could ressurect her, or that the ressurection was cut from the final game. (most of which spun out of importers who couldn't speak Japanese, misunderstanding Bugenhagen's trip to that coral city place to explain Holy, thinking it was the beginning of a ressurection attempt)

Even if Aeris is not dead, she's kidnapped and gone from the party. At her place, you see "the memory" of her at that spot. She needn't be dead.. Because even if she had died.. It's not like you'd be literally seeing her "ghost" anyway! It's Cloud's memory of her.

Even more strange would be if the church DIDNT make a reference to Aeris... It's a poetic-ass jRPG.. of course they have a moment of Cloud seeing Aeris for a moment!

ShockingAlberto said:
A World Trade Center scene was cut from MGS2, as well, I seem to recall.

I don't know if it was a scene so much, but when Arsenal Gear crashed into Manhattan there was meant a wide shot with an amazingly modeled version of the city with the WTC for a wide shot.

Edit: forgot what I originally came in here to post. I've been trying to find it without success, but one of the earliest Shenmue trailers had Ryu riding around on a bicycle. Also I don't know if it was meant to be in the game but chapter 2 was only ever done in a comic book.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
RichardAM said:
I knew about the other one but i'd never seen this before.

The original Devil May Cry was supposed to be Resident Evil 4- this really seems like a cross between the two series.

Code Veronica was the original Biohazard 3, as well.

It went-> CV->Bio3->DMC1->Fog (announced at Nintendo World 2000, IIRC)->Dolls (or was it Hookman?)->Hookman (or was it Dolls?)->Bio4.

Top Bottom