• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Contrast (PS4/PC) |OT| Vaudevillian Noir Dreamscapes

Blizzard

Banned
A patch just came out on Steam:

Fixed dashing, jumping and low framerates getting you stuck in objects. (Most significant fix - big change to prevent getting stuck inside objects.)
Fixed dashing from wedging you into geometry at low framerates.
Fixed getting stuck in the ground or objects while shifting out. This should fix:
Issues where the player could get stuck inside bDetailGeometry meshes. (Random stuff lying around the place.)
Cinema skip issue. (Sorry speedrunners, we will look into preserving the previous patch, but not right now.)
Fixes lantern issues. (When lighting changes shift you out of shadows.)
Fixes issues with getting stuck on dynamic actors. (Eg boxes.)
Game now displays the walking animation when stuck in a stable configuration while falling. (No more t-pose, unless you're still falling.)
Allow jumping in that case to help the player get out of the collision. (Ie, you can now jump out of most spots in the world. Together, this plus the previous change mean you can jump out of areas that you would have been stuck in previously.)
Map ESCAPE to Backspace in the menus. (Don't think we don't listen! It won't show in the in-game UI though.)
Fix going through walls (getting out of the map) and stop dash from going through shadows. (Big gameplay change - you no longer go into shadows automatically at the end of a dash. You can still manually shift once you've finished your dash.)
Fix for the box falling on the player's head and floating in space. (Should now just land on Dawn's head, but you'll be able to just walk away and the box will fall.)
Fix Carousel luminary loading/persistence problem. (This fixes the situation where you could play the Carousel, not complete it, complete the other two attractions, but then not be able to restart the Carousel.)
Removed critical section in ShadowFiltering TickPostProcess. (Some sort of magic voodoo that helps low framerate shadow collision detection.)
Fixed rare crash at the end of the hotel on machines playing on low graphical settings. (If you persistently crashed at the end of Act 1 before, you now won't.)
Work around rare crash when NULL is passed to ACPhysicsPawn::Dismount() (More magic voodoo. Seriously, I don't understand this one at all.)
Fix rare multi-thread crash on map change.
Allow single-threaded (in-process) shader compilation on Shipping PC Builds. (Fixes the game not starting on a number of select machines).

lemmykoopa

PS4 version here. Does anyone else get a quite thick vertical line running across the screen on the title screen of Contrast? Just making sure...

Kolgar

Now they need to give the PS4 version that patch. I'm stuck at the bug where you can't restart the carousel if you didn't complete the puzzle straightaway.

Calibus

Just finished it earlier. Really enjoyed it, despite some bugs that forced me to restart at my last save.

The art style, the characters, the playstyle were all great, and this is from someone who generally does not like platformers. The story was a bit vague and confusing, but it (more or less) came together at the end.

While it's free, I definitely recommend downloading it.

I'd say a solid 8/10.

Marco1

I have bugs in the PS4 version like the little girl skates across the environment with no legs moving.
Also frame rate at the start is shit.

freelevel

Banned
The game was fun enough to go through once. It felt a little buggy in parts, but I can't complain too much when it was free.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Finished it and liked it way more that I thought I would. Didn't understand the whole shadow stuff though, story-wise I mean. Maybe I should have read the collectible stuff :)

cbrun44

Bug filled but thoroughly enjoyed my 4 hours or so with it. Great concept that didn't overstay it's welcome.

But... won't ever be replaying.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
I figured I'd played this for about 10mins and then delete it soon after but I was pleasantly surprised by this game. I just finished it and I really enjoyed it! Even went back and got all the trophies I missed. Love being surprised by little games like this( never heard of it before downloading on PS4). I would probably buy a sequel if they choose to ever make one.

Adamm

Game was good fun, a bit too buggy though.
I can tolerate bugs, but i had to restart this game so many times in the 3/4 hours it took to complete!

Just need to clear up the trophies and then ill be done with this game forever.

Finished 100% tonight, really enjoyed it. Nice story and a good length that didn't over stay it's welcome. Only encountered one bug right at the end
when the lighthouse light wouldn't trigger the cutscene from the stage
Great game for a freebie, would have happily paid around £5-6 for it given the short length.

garyBig

Wow, just finished it and enjoyed it a helluva lot more than I did Killzone.
Great atmosphere, great art design, great gameplay, nice music. Also the perfect length.
Liked it a lot and hope all those PS+ subscribers don't casually ignore it.

RedAssedApe

Banned
did anyone who played it pre-patch go back and try playing again post-patch? just wondering if your opinion changed at all even a little bit

Ricker

Kind of stuck early in this game for now....can't figure out how to get the the 5th floor of the Excelsior in Chapter 1...

Angelcurio

Just started playing this game yesterday, and I must say that i'm extremely disappointed with the frame rate. The first time that you get to move the main character, it is inside a room where nothing is actually going on, and the game was already showing a choppy frame rate, to the point that i simply stopped playing it. Will try again tonight to try and ingnore the frame rate problems and see if I can enjoy the game.

Robot Pants

It's not a very good game. Interesting ideas.....kinda.
But just not very good. Platinumed it however and enjoyed none of it.

Anung

Un Rama
Finished this yesterday. Very interesting premise although maybe it wastes it somewhat. As an experience I found it enjoyable with its nice Burtonesque visuals although the game itself was fairly average. Some of the puzzles were really interesting although some were frustrating and glitchy.

Considering it was free I guess I can't really complain :D

Gertso

Neo Member
never really understood this mindset. are you just one of those achievement hunters or one of those "i must finish what i start" haha

I almost did it on my first run. All of the trophies are bronze and there is no platinum. They are mostly very easy to get.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I almost did it on my first run. All of the trophies are bronze and there is no platinum. They are mostly very easy to get.

hmm so by saying "platinum-ed" it does that just mean people got all the available trophies? i've never gotten all the trophies for a game before...thought you got a platinum automatically for getting all trophies

I was playing it with a friend last night.... it really is just not fun to play, I hate the graphics and I hate how broken it all feels.

Frustratingly broken.

Psykotik

just beat the game today and got 100% trophies. i enjoyed it. framerate was all over the place though.

game reminded me of bioshock infinite a bit.

Zach

I was playing it with a friend last night.... it really is just not fun to play, I hate the graphics and I hate how broken it all feels.

Frustratingly broken.

I'm in Act II right now and I hate to say it, but I agree. Overall, the game isn't fun to play. If it weren't for the likeable characters, interesting story and nice art style, I wouldn't be trudging on. I'm glad you guys are saying it's only 3 to 4 hours long because I'm ready for it to be over.

Probably the least offensive game ever created. Was just... Really mediocre. I'm about to 100% it (because it's so short), but the last act in the light house has to be the most buggy mess I've ever played. 4/10

Angelcurio

Just beat the game last night. Really enjoyed the story, and it’s really short. But as i originally said, the framerate is all over the place and the game is extremely buggy.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
God damn, I know I am at the ending, but the game glitched out on me.
I put the light on the stage, but the game doesn't enter on the cutscene it's supposed to.

There's no way I'm replaying all of this just for the ending.

wouwie

I finished this game yesterday (got it for free on PS+). All things considered, i had fun playing (especially from Act 2 onwards) but i was left with mixed feelings so i would give this 7/10.

On the positive side, i loved the art style and i think the game looked great due to that. The music and atmosphere was nice too. At times, i was impressed/surprised with some of the originality and gameplay that was showcased throughout the game. I think the idea of the shadow gameplay/story telling was neat.

On the negative side, the controls (and the game in general) felt janky. I didn't have any difficulty in solving the puzzles but i did have problems with execution due to the controls. Technically, it ran rather poor on PS4 (then again, the Unreal Engine never really liked the Playstation it seems). And the story wasn't really interesting.

I have the impression that the game might have been a tad too ambitious for (i assume) a small indie team. Having to release it on so many platforms must have been a challenge too.

However, i do feel that the developers show promise and i look forward to whatever next Compulsion games does.

CREMSteve

God damn, I know I am at the ending, but the game glitched out on me.
I put the light on the stage, but the game doesn't enter on the cutscene it's supposed to.

There's no way I'm replaying all of this just for the ending.

Just happened to me as well, all you need to do is restart at last checkpoint and it fixes it. Literally takes two minutes to climb the tower once you know what you're doing.

Just finished the game, 100% trophies. Loved it! Puzzles had me scratching my head many times, but not so tough that I wanted to give up at any point. Also short enough that I could play it and actually finish it, unlike a lot of games these days.

Highly recommended.

Top Bottom