• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Contrast (PS4/PC) |OT| Vaudevillian Noir Dreamscapes

Played the demo at work. The game is really highly polished from first impressions. I've been looking forward to it since it was announced at E3.

Mifune

Mehmber
Seems really silly that the Xbox One isn't getting the game given there's a 360 version. Oh well, ended up pre-ordering the PC version on sale a while back and I'm now also getting the PS4 version through plus it seems. Looking forward to it!

Pretty sure the developers didn't get an Xbox One dev kit in time. I'm sure it will come to the One a little later though.

Anyway, I played this game quite a bit at Indiecade. And although the controls felt a bit clunky and the puzzles were basic in the one level I tried out, I'm really looking forward to the final game. I think the art design, story, and music could make for something really special.

Aah at long last the true Playstation 4 killer app reveals itself

So hyped for this game. I hope it's like a cross between the McGee Alice games and puppeteer but with its own unique style of course

MadD4mon

I really hope the overall soundtrack of the game is as glorious as the music in the trailers. I love that kind of sound, can't wait to hear more!

Aeroangel

Banned
Very visually appealing game, responsive, and creative. It sort of feels like something is lacking, but it is fun and polished.

sn00zer

Love that this is essentially a game about the guy you imagine who runs across telephone wires when your parents take you on a road trip

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
For some vague reason thought this was PC/PS4 only.. and saw it on the 360 Arcade store today.

Didn't download it though.

Played an hour and a bit, really liking the jazz noir atmosphere. The story seems to be going into a much darker place than I expected. Most of all, I like how open the city is where I can hunt for collectibles that are not just there but show memories or notes that give background to the proceedings and characters.
i0RRD45S2Xn94.gif

You can go into the shadows in most places, and it feels more dynamic than other shadow puzzle games.
ibwYBSdNeZq3XO.gif

My one complaint is the very UE 3 browns that reminded me of the London sections in Alice Madness Returns. Thankfully, there's enough colour and neon in the architecture to offset it.

It's nice to hear Adam Jensen do a less gruff voice to show off his range. Or at least I'm pretty darn sure that's him.

Dawn is a cutie.
iyD4rUfB1CiTl.gif

And I'm a sucker for dashing in games.
ibqSAk14d7PgwP.gif

Blizzard

Banned
I just got the collector's edition on Steam.

It looks like it's only #61 on the top sellers list on RELEASE DAY though, which I think is a bad sign saleswise.

Played an hour and a bit, really liking the jazz noir atmosphere. The story seems to be going into a much darker place than I expected. Most of all, I like how open the city is where I can hunt for collectibles that are not just there but show memories or notes that give background to the proceedings and characters.
i0RRD45S2Xn94.gif

You can go into the shadows in most places, and it feels more dynamic than other shadow puzzle games.
ibwYBSdNeZq3XO.gif

My one complaint is the very UE 3 browns that reminded me of the London sections in Alice Madness Returns. Thankfully, there's enough colour and neon in the architecture to offset it.

It's nice to hear Adam Jensen do a less gruff voice to show off his range. Or at least I'm pretty darn sure that's him.

Dawn is a cutie.
iyD4rUfB1CiTl.gif

And I'm a sucker for dashing in games.
ibqSAk14d7PgwP.gif

That looks great, also pleased to hear the shadow mechanic isn't superficial...

So tempted to download the 360 trial...

Making a shadow bridge with three different characters' shadows by bringing them forward and backward against the wall to make different sizes was quite the cool challenge.

iDKIsMHvqFkPH.jpg

Burbeting

Banned
One of the games I'm most hyped for :D. Getting it PS4. The atmosphere is something, that is not done that often in games (film-noiric kind of a feel).

How complex are the puzzles etc? I tested a bit in games convention, and it seemed a bit too easy for my tastes. Do they get more taxing later on?

Darksol

It's a great game from what I've played so far. But I'm a sucker for this type of art style and direction. Shadow mode on PS4 is beautiful and fun.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Really enjoying this so far. PS4. Performance is ok. There are dips but not distracting. Story and acting are entertaining but I also like the genre and era. Don't really get the complaints. For what it is, heavily stylized mild puzzle platformer, it's well done. Some glitches but so far like the engine performance nothing distracting or horrible.

Would have probably paid $10-15 on initial impressions. We'll see how it is til the end.

shink

I saw a livestream of this from Screw Attack. Looked enjoyable enough. That was my first time ever seeing any gameplay though

Lijik

Played an hour and 14 minutes according to steam. REALLY enjoying the game so far. Love the atmosphere and the noir story, and manipulating light to actually make the shadows is really cool as are the story moments where you platform across the characters as they make conversation.

I loved how when I started the game the music just kicks in right over the usual opening logos. Got me right in the mood even before I got to the title screen

Raxus

I just got finished playing this. Thank goodness it is free because it is short.

I actually was forced to stop playing because I hit a glitch couldn't escape from.

Skyzard

Banned
I'm interested in this and great that it's coming to vita just a bit disappointing that I remember watching that polygon stream and they gave contrast a 4.5/10?

Then again, review scores etc. Especially from polygon! Think they gave shadowfall 5/10 lol and handheld batman (blackgate) 8/10.

Anyway, they mention it is 3 hours long though. "Contrast also fails as a game at a basic level." - something about the climbing not being rewarding. Borderline game-breaking bugs. - which Raxus seems to confirm above.

Alchemy

Downloaded thanks to my free month of PSN+, and just finished the game. About 3+ hours depending on how long you stare at some of the puzzles. Game definitely has some jank, and it gets worse as you play. Many objects in the world had collision volumes that don't match their geometry, which leads to some really confusing platforming as you pretty much can't jump onto anything that isn't picked out for the puzzle or platforming section.

I didn't get stuck until an early part in the final level, which I'm pretty sure I completed in a horribly incorrect fashion but I managed to get it to work. The jank is pretty problematic, but the world and gameplay concept is fantastic enough to have kept me in the experience the entire way through. Really only as long as it should be, and a pretty enjoyable experience.

Lijik

Just finished it, clocked at 3 hours though it felt like I had played it for longer (in a good way). It can be clunky at times for sure. I think I had the worst of it during some of the Circus attraction stages. Some awkward traversal moments, and at one point I got stuck in the geometry and had to restart the area. The lighthouse finale level went by pretty smoothly and was extremely fun

Overall I enjoyed the narrative, found the characters charming, and the the platforming and puzzles were very satisfying. I think its a game that will give you the most out of it if you're won over by its atmosphere and tone.

Blizzard

Banned
I finished it in about 4 hours according to Steam.

I wish there were an easy way to have anti-aliasing. I tried forcing it with nVidia Control Panel, but it did not seem to work. I do not have downsampling set up, and I did not try digging through the Unreal Engine 3 .ini files, so there may be a way to adjust some settings.

Controls were janky in some places, and I got stuck a few times and had to replay sections. In one place I think a box fell off the map and did not respawn.

I would say the game is worth it at $10-15 if you like the visual style and music. What I did not expect was the story -- all the stuff with the family problems and a child going "I can fix this" with everything hit me kind of hard. I really liked Didi and Dawn.

*** SUPER SPOILER COMMENTS ***
This is really stupid and obvious, but around the start of the game at first I was like, why can't I see anyone? The shadows are stylistic, but I should be able to see the people too. And then I realized that -I- was in the shadow world, and that's why everything was super lonely and you would just see doors opening and no one there. It was done well. I suppose in theory Dawn could have talked to Didi, but I liked that she didn't...somehow that made it even more eloquent that she was sorta Didi's imaginary friend, sorta Didi's guardian in the night, and sorta assistant returning to help Vincenzo fix his show one last time.

I have 4 achievements left and missed one collectible somewhere in Act II, so I'll probably try to 100% it.

I'm curious if the French voice acting is good. I didn't even really think about that as an option when I started the game. The English acting was surprisingly decent, I thought. Child voice acting is probably especially annoying in movies/TV/videogames, but Didi was actually kinda heartbreaking when she said
they're going to hurt mommy
and ran off. :( I guess
they didn't actually hurt her, and just had a threatening game of canasta though, fortunately!

Special mention goes to playing the role
of the princess
, which was very cleverly done.

allansm

I finished Contrast just now, I enjoyed it, although I think there is a lot of wasted potential in the game. For example, the shadow mechanic (switching from 3d platforming in the real to world to 2D platforming in the shadow world) is a great idea, but it is barely expanded upon and your limited to use it only on predetermined locations. Also, the puzzles through the game are fairly simple and the most complex platforming bits don't even require a smart use of the shadow mechanic. In the good side, the art style and setting are great and there are some clever moments that made me smile, like when you are platforming over the shadows of Didi’s parents while they deliver part of the story. Considering the lack of 3d platformers on PC, I think $15 was worth it, but $10 is a more adequate price in my opinion.

I'm surprised how harsh the reviews have been. Even with the flaws, seeing this game with a 60 on metacritic while Beatbuddy (another flawed platformer, although with deeper flaws then Contrast) gets a 76 is something I can't comprehend.

Anyone else that played Contrast found RPS review of the game too harsh? Although I do agree with some of Alec's complaints, the review makes the game seem terrible, which is not the case at all. I got the impression that he doesn't even like platformers that much.

If anyone is on the fence about buying the game, I suggest reading IGN's review. I agree with everything, even the score. Something not common at all...

Im on act 3 and a bit bored, the game relies to much on its atmosphere/art style(which I don't really care for in the first place) imo, all the puzzles so far have been brain dead, and ign lied the most fun I have had so far was moving them boxes. Shadow mode is neat but not enough timing/reflex involved in any puzzles or platforming segments so far to actually care about switching between shadow and normal.

Also I don't know if its just a ps4 thing but its super jank/glitchy, im getting stuck on objects, jumping out of nowhere when too close to certain walls/objects, its really hilarious and annoying.

Lijik

I'm curious if the French voice acting is good. I didn't even really think about that as an option when I started the game. The English acting was surprisingly decent, I thought. Child voice acting is probably especially annoying in movies/TV/videogames, but Didi was actually kinda heartbreaking when she said
they're going to hurt mommy
and ran off. :( I guess
they didn't actually hurt her, and just had a threatening game of canasta though, fortunately!

I think Im going to replay the game in french over the weekend since Im also missing a few collectibles and achievements. I didnt like Didi's voice acting early on (I think it was more the kind of stop and go one line at a time way she sometimes speaks in) and found the french actress to be about the same quality (again I think I was more put off by the one line at a time thing) so i switched back before anyone else in the narrative appeared.
The way the game handles changing voices in the options was the jankiest thing I had to deal with actually! For the entire first act I somehow got it so I had english voice acting and subs, but all of the objective and collectible text etc. were in french haha

synce

Amazing game so far, but it feels WAY too short... I'm probably just an hour into it and already have half the collectibles :(

If anyone enjoys this though make sure to check out Rain. It's just as artsy fartsy and short

Really loving this game. I'm at the end of it now (I think). I need some help with something. Going to spoiler tag it just in case (it's in Act III):

Act III the part at the lighthouse...I have no idea how to carry the box across the turning wall. I can't figure out how to get the light turned on to do it. I have the box right where it needs to be but I don't know how to turn on the spotlight to carry it across. Does anyone know? Thanks.

Aside from being currently stuck, I really love this game. The art style is great, love the characters and the music. It's a bit glitchy at times (I had to redo a whole section three times because of a glitch that kept happening). I do love it though. The puzzles are really clever. Even when it's just dropping boxes onto a switch, they add that unique element of shadow play into it. Really awesome.

Blizzard

Banned
Really loving this game. I'm at the end of it now (I think). I need some help with something. Going to spoiler tag it just in case (it's in Act III):

Act III the part at the lighthouse...I have no idea how to carry the box across the turning wall. I can't figure out how to get the light turned on to do it. I have the box right where it needs to be but I don't know how to turn on the spotlight to carry it across. Does anyone know? Thanks.

Aside from being currently stuck, I really love this game. The art style is great, love the characters and the music. It's a bit glitchy at times (I had to redo a whole section three times because of a glitch that kept happening). I do love it though. The puzzles are really clever. Even when it's just dropping boxes onto a switch, they add that unique element of shadow play into it. Really awesome.
Spoiler solution for that Act III puzzle:
If I recall correctly you can aim the lower spotlight at the wall to light it up, and then you can use the upper spotlight with the focus button held down to make it tiny. That will let you carry the box across the turning wall as well, as you rotate the spotlight.

Spoiler solution for that Act III puzzle:
If I recall correctly you can aim the lower spotlight at the wall to light it up, and then you can use the upper spotlight with the focus button held down to make it tiny. That will let you carry the box across the turning wall as well, as you rotate the spotlight.

YES. THANK YOU. Could've sworn I tried this yesterday--must've not had it focused or something. Thanks a lot, man!

Blizzard

Banned
YES. THANK YOU. Could've sworn I tried this yesterday--must've not had it focused or something. Thanks a lot, man!
That whole level confused me with its puzzles for a while because I totally didn't realize I could
press a button to focus the light, lol.

Beat it earlier today. I dunno it felt too short and the story didn't really make sense at the end. I honestly expected it to go in a totally different direction and not
yet another alternative dimension story in a similar vein as Bioshock Infinite and FRINGE
. At first the game made it seem like
the shadow people were actually flashbacks as if all these events already happened but then later I guess this was all happening in real time? Why was didi in this alternative dimension with Dawn? Why is Dawn helping the guy who trapped her in this other dimension? and why does Vincenzio all of a sudden want to be with this daughter who he has made clear he doesn't want?? The ending makes it seem like he was protecting her all along?

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Playing this on PC, currently in Act II. I really like the art-style, there are some incredible vista's, and i'm loving the atmosphere. The story is way more serious then I ever thought it would be, but they're handling it quite nicely. Voice-acting is suprisingly great, too. Happy to hear Toufexis in another role and the voice-actress for Didi does an amazing job.
The game is really glitchy though. Nothing gamebreaking, but it's certainly present. And the platforming isn't "precise" enough, for lack of a better description.

Nice to hear Laura Ellis when booting up the game, keeps the menu interesting. :p

Game reminds me of the London sections from Alice: Madness Returns. With actual gameplay this time, that is. But maybe that's just due to the Unreal Engine. :p

Great OP, by the way.

Top Bottom