• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COO of Sega EU: “We Have Some IPs Releasing [On PC] 2017" (2016 some of them)

gelf

There are so many Sega games I'm hoping to see on PC. I certainly look forward to seeing what titles come soon!

In one way its hard for me to disappointed as there is so much I want that the percentages are in my favour that we should get a port I'd be happy for. On the otherhand thinking of how many I'd like and how long it takes Sega to port just a single one of them is kinda depressing.

Got to look to the positive side I guess. Just please don't be another Sonic game. (Well ok I'd accept the Taxmax ports)

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
put my hat in the ring for Virtua Fighter.
played those games once or twice and would like to play them on PC.

Aki-at

Haruki Satomi making SEGA great again.

Anyway I'm expecting good things in months and years to come from Sega, slowly their house is getting in order and they're working towards quality and now quantity of products again.

celsowmbr

Banned

If this is true, then the virtua fighter hype train is coming !

OdEoXJuh.jpg

Tizoc

Vf collectiom in 2017 brah
5 generations of KAGEMARU-RYU OUGI HISATSU WAZA JIGOKU GURUMA for all to experience

KingBroly

Banned
I wish they'd keep adding games to the Genesis Collection. You know, like the licensed ones that keep popping up as user mods, lol.

Grief.exe

I'm not getting my hopes up. This is the same company that refuses to localize PSO2 for PC.

I don't blame them for PSO2. It's not just the localization, there are massive front-end and backend costs associated with starting a new MMO.
Looking at new releases like Black Desert, Archangel, etc, etc, etc it's unjustifiable in the current climate.

Sega has quietly become one of the largest PC publishers through acquisitions and ongoing development, but they also release older ports at a fairly consistent pace. The reactions I frequently see are frankly unjustified.

Vespa

VF5:FS on PC and VF6 at TGS...well if your'e going to dream why not dream big!

One ticket for the hype train, please.

Grief.exe

My problem with Virtua Fighter ports is the market is somewhat oversaturated on PC as they all came at once and there seems to be a ceiling in the total demographic base.

Could be a low priority unless the porting cost is exceedingly cheap and they can target higher margins per sale. For example, the arcade boards being Windows/x86 based which I believe VF games are.

They should port Yakuza, their entire Atlus catalogue, all of their old arcade, third party PS2/Xbox/GC games, Master System games, Saturn games and Dreamcast games, we've already had loads of Mega Drive ports as it is, let's show their other consoles/platforms some love. And they're already way behind on all of these, time they caught up to the 21st Century already.

My problem with Virtua Fighter ports is the market is somewhat oversaturated on PC as they all came at once and there seems to be a ceiling in the total demographic base.

Could be a low priority unless the porting cost is exceedingly cheap and they can target higher margins per sale. For example, the arcade boards being Windows/x86 based which I believe VF games are.

Sega should've listened when there were no 3D fighters on Steam, here we are now and they're late to the party.

Anyway forget Virtua Fighter unless it comes with Vanquish as well.

Tizoc

I don't blame them for PSO2. It's not just the localization, there are massive front-end and backend costs associated with starting a new MMO.
Looking at new releases like Black Desert, Archangel, etc, etc, etc it's unjustifiable in the current climate.

Sega has quietly become one of the largest PC publishers through acquisitions and ongoing development, but they also release older ports at a fairly consistent pace. The reactions I frequently see are frankly unjustified.
I think theyre aim TO START releasing at a consistent pace
Capcom for example are doing that even if their releass are 8ish months apart
But hey its better than 12 :p

Stike

they are going to announce something "toward the end of this year"?

And NOBODY here assumes this must be happening at PSX??

O Gaf, what hath thou become...

Maybe so, but if you don't like strategy games and Sonic then they release fuck all on PC.

And please, they can afford the costs for NA/EU servers and a proper localization for PSO2. Those other MMOs are not backed by a huge publisher like Sega, so I don't follow the comparison. Comparing indie MMOs to a long standing IP backed by a huge pub.... idgi

Spaghetti

Maybe so, but if you don't like strategy games and Sonic then they release fuck all on PC.

And please, they can afford the costs for NA/EU servers and a proper localization for PSO2. Those other MMOs are not backed by a huge publisher like Sega, so I don't follow the comparison. Comparing indie MMOs to a long standing IP backed by a huge pub.... idgi
SEGA turned their finances from massive loss to a profit by being incredibly cautious with their output. PSO2 didn't make financial sense for them in the West and so it was shelved.

Yeah it sucks that SEGA pulled the rug on people waiting for it, but they're not doing it to be difficult. It was make or break financially for them, and they got out of the red by seriously pairing down their output to what they considered to be probable sure-fire sales successes.

Now they're seeing the other side of that strategy where they have to massively revise financials if they delay a game (see: financial changes when Persona 5 was delayed), so they're trying to capitalise on their existing game library through quality ports that are strategically released to give their financials a little boost.

Also c'mon, Alien Isolation is SEGA and last time I checked it is neither Sonic nor strategy.

SimonM7

I'm sure it's too much to hope for (twice over) but a Steam Edition of Bayonetta with silly Valve things in it would be rrrrrrreal excellent.

Grief.exe

Whether or not they appeal to your subjective tastes is irrelevant, Sega does have a consistent release schedule on PC including old ports.

Whether it's a big publisher or not doesn't magically make the market viable. The fact is there matter is the MMO market is extremely risky and cost prohibitive venture that a risk adverse publisher like Sega is justified in avoiding.

Sorry, it's just not a viable market.

Now they're seeing the other side of that strategy where they have to massively revise financials if they delay a game (see: financial changes when Persona 5 was delayed), so they're trying to capitalise on their existing game library through quality ports that are strategically released to give their financials a little boost.

It would be strange if Sega doesn't get Persona ported to PC in some manner, especially with the cost overruns in development. It's absurd to have a console exclusive in the current market unless the publisher is putting up money and runs against Sega's ongoing strategy.

Sonic lost world on PC was ..barely ok in my eyes ... but i'll forgive them IF they bring shenmue or sky of arcadia ( Sky of arcadia legends with mods would be the GREATEST thing ever )

i guess i wouldn't mind bayonnetta but that's probably way too difficult.

Krejlooc

Banned
They ported the original all the way back in 1997. I can't see them re-releasing that or porting any of the others.

The NiGHTS into Dreams HD release was actually a port of the Sega Ages remake (Well, it was started as a Sega Ages remake, at least, before it eventually released outside the line) for the Playstation 2. The same line saw a full remake of Panzer Dragoon.

Much of that Sega Ages line could be mined, btw. They should release Fantasy Zone II DX on Steam (and the cel-shaded Fantasy Zone remake, too).

Krejlooc

Banned
I'm happy that it's on their radar at the least. As long as it's a racer and not a mech fighting game ( although I think that last paragraph or two was in jest to be fair xD )

They've spoken about wanting to do a Sega fighting game other times before, actually. Once they said they had an idea of doing a power stone clone using Sega characters.

Baleoce

They've spoken about wanting to do a Sega fighting game other times before, actually. Once they said they had an idea of doing a power stone clone using Sega characters.

Aah ok, in which case, as a fan of kart racers that last quote worries me, as they made it sound like they'd do a fighting game instead of a racing sequel.

Carmelozi

In 2020 sure. Honestly, it would be great to have remakes but it would means nothing if they are released after the third opus imo.

Top Bottom