• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Cool, Sweet, & Catchy!" - A Sonic the Hedgehog music appreciation thread

Haklong

Wow, this must have taken a while but man is it awesome. I didn't get to read it all yet but I will.

Quick question, why is there a line going through: Lazy Days ~ Livin' in Paradise (Theme of Big)

Is it due to hate? Am I the only person that loves this corny song?

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
I also am in love with Sonic Adventure's music, you're not the only one.

Killer thread man, puts the rest of GAF to SHAME

Sciz

Haklong said:
Quick question, why is there a line going through: Lazy Days ~ Livin' in Paradise (Theme of Big)

Is it due to hate? Am I the only person that loves this corny song?
I like Big as a character, and I like his theme. However, my general impression is that these are not popular viewpoints. :(

TreIII

Skiptastic said:
>:| Get it right!

Eggman IS Robotnik's name. Just as much as Peach is Princess Toadstool.

In both cases, they're both valid, names to call the character in question, but one is clearly now much more widely accepted as the standard. So, really, stop making yourself out to be some sort of ass, just because you have a "preference". For one, it's not necessary in an awesome thread like this.

Sciz

I used Eggman throughout for the sake of consistency, and because these days I've stopped caring about which is which. Archie's Sonic comic still uses "Robotnik" liberally, so it isn't as though Sega is averse to the name.

From this day forward there shall never be another Sonic music appreciation thread. The entire internet shall now reference this thread when speaking about music in Sonic games. It has been written.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Fantastic thread, commendable effort on your part! I've noticed as far as Sonic soundtracks go, I vastly prefer the earlier games with their blend of pop, house, and early 90's R&B, to the newer, more grunge-rock driven stuff.

Haklong

Sciz said:
I like Big as a character, and I like his theme. However, my general impression is that these are not popular viewpoints. :(

I know what you mean. My friend hate that song and Big.

FightyF

Banned
cjelly said:
All this thread needs is that Sonic physics picture. :lol

This is not it (trying to find them on my PC), but this is equally awesome:

gamePys.GIF

GCQuinton

"Here I come! Rougher than the rest of them,
The best of them, tougher than leather,
You can call me Knuckes, unlike Sonic I don't chuckle,
I'd rather flex my muscles!" - Unknown from M.E. - Sonic Adventure

So cheesy but I love it :lol

Great thread. And haters be damned Sonic 360/PS3 had some good music too.

Synless

This thread on top of unlocking and playing as sonic in smash has inspired me to play through every sonic game again.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I played a bit of Smash Bros. Brawl today, and the music in the Green Hill Zone level is all kinds of awesome. Sonic Boom, I think the track is called. :D

D-X

Good job Sciz. So good I really can't add much to it other than to say I'm glad you included the latter day Sonic games. Yes most of them may be lacklustre but they usually have some gems in the music department. I gotta say I do have a penchant for Crush 40 though I guess I can understand why others wouldn't, but the later soundtracks have moved away from including them for better or worse. At least they still get a look in on the remixes.

Sciz

Thanks to the efforts of a kind soul, I've been able to add a link to Odd March in the Chaotix section. Give it a listen, it's wonderfully eerie.

Kccitystar said:
Two pages in and nobody has mentioned Hedgehog Heaven yet?
I'd say that's because only around half of Hedgehog Heaven is good.

Link1110

I don't know about any of these newfangled ports, but that is NOT the right Sonic 3 boss tune for the Genesis version. That's what the miniboss music changes to when you lock Sonic 3 onto Sonic & Knuckles. The boss theme stays the same, and is correctly identified under Sonic & Knuckles.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
awesome thread is awesome

Well, I don't show off, don't criticize
I'm just livin' by my own feelings
And I won't give in, won't compromise
I just only have a steadfast heart of gold

I don't know why, I can't leave though it might be tough
But I ain't out of control, just livin' by my word
Don't ask me why, I don't need a reason
I got my way, my own way

It doesn't matter now what happens I will never give up the fight
There is no way I will run away from all of my frights
Long as the voice inside me says go, I will always keep on running
There is no way to stop me from going to the very top

jman2050

I think I'm in heaven.

If I were to start going into an exhaustive appreciation post, you probably wouldn't see the post until 2 AM EDT. For now though, all I'll say is that it took several years, but I think I've come up with the most underappreciated song in all of the main Sonic genesis games: Hydrocity Act 2.

Also...

*awesome riff*

Blue streak speeds by
Sonic the Hedgehog
Too fast for the naked eye
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic! He can really move
Sonic! He's got an attitude!
Sonic! He's the fastest thing aliiiiiieiiive

*more awesome riff and awesome key change*

Look out when he storms through
Sonic the Hedgehog
Don't doubt what he can do
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic! He can really move
Sonic! He's got an attitude!
Sonic! He's the fastest thing aliiiive! he's the fastest thing aliiiiive!
HE'S THE FASTEST THING ALIIIIIIIIVE!!!!!!!

Yes, I'm a huge Sonic fanboy, why do you ask?

EDIT -

There is very little doubt in my mind that this is why the level select code is near-impossible to pull off.

Actually, there's a technical reason for this IIRC. The little opening cinema in sonic 3 where you had to input the code lagged the Genesis like hell. Basically, the game would only read controller input every 3 frames or so, so it was very easy for one of the 8 button presses to fall into one of those lag frames. To this day I can never do that code in any sort of consistent fashion.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
jman2050 said:
For now though, all I'll say is that it took several years, but I think I've come up with the most underappreciated song in all of the main Sonic genesis games: Hydrocity Act 2.
Again with the Jackson-Sonic 3 connection.... I can always picture that song set to an 80s style pop video with plenty of backup dancers :D

Awesome thread. Sonic 3 had my favorite soundtrack. Angel Island, Ice Cap, Marble Hill, Launch Base. So, so awesome. Sonic 1 is my close second. Sonic music has been consistently great.

Just wanted to mention that one of the possible reasons why the US Sonic CD has a different soundtrack is that the JP Sonic CD soundtrack uses a LOT of samples.

The boss theme where it goes into "Work that hog to death"(???) was ripped almost completely from some funk song that for the life of me I can't find the title/artist of. There is also the "Good God!" from War. What is it good for? making an appearance in Stardust Speedway. Granted most of the stuff is either obscure as hell or hard to catch but all the same it's something I'd want to avoid(And Spencer Nilsen is a God so more music by him is always a plus).

Not that this is the sole reason why SoA changed the soundtrack but I can imagine this being a possibility.

Great thread although I'm still iffy on the lack of SA2 music.

jman2050

Come on run away
You don't have to stay
You're running out of time
And you're doing fine
So stay on track
And don't look back
Just feel the pace
Come on now RACE!

Everybody's Super Sonic Racing
Try to keep your feet right on the ground
When you're Super Sonic Racing
There's no time to look around
We're just Super Sonic Racing
Running to the point of no return
Everybody's Super Sonic Racing
Come on let the fire buuuuuurn!!

...what? Stop looking at me like that!

I'm sitting here now listening to Brawl's Sonic music. Not playing anything, just listening. Sonic really has some great music.

Scenester

brain_stew said:
You are a God amongst men. A GOD.

No game series' music can match Sonic.

Oh, and fuck the haters, Sonic R's music is awesome.

Sonic R has one of the most fantastic soundtracks ever made! soooo good. And hats off to the op :D

Man, this thread really reminds me of just how great Sega's music was during the 16-bit era.

Someone needs to do a Streets of Rage soundtrack thread!!

Top Bottom