• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Cool, Sweet, & Catchy!" - A Sonic the Hedgehog music appreciation thread

Teknoman

Death_Born said:

Agreed. I didnt like playing as him, but E-102 had one of the most kick ass themes in Sonic History. Now that I think of it...Sonic Adventure as a whole had an amazing soundtrack. Also a Robotnik badnik turned good because of the animal's past memories wasnt such a bad idea.

Damn it I dont think i'll stop riding this high wave of Unleashed anticipation until we get more details... Also I think i'll be making a Sonic Mega/Gems collection replaythrough sometime soon now.

Sciz

I haven't said this yet, but thanks to everyone who's chimed in with a comment (even the ones just mentioning missing tracks). Especially the few of you who've said you like a song or soundtrack you hadn't heard before. Makes me feel like all the time was worth it.

And trust me, I'll be keeping this updated as time passes. :D

Markster said:
Holy crap! So that's what that music was!
Back in '99 when I was watching all those Sonic Adventure preview videos, this was a backing track, and I could never understand why the song wasn't in the game.

Also:
I can't believe I ate read the whole thing.

Also*2:
Now you've gone and done it. I have to hook up my DC again.
Glad to be of service. :lol

Raxel said:
Great thread. I run Jun's website, I'll post this on the front page!
Did this never happen, or am I looking at the wrong site?

edit:
Teknoman said:
Agreed. I didnt like playing as him, but E-102 had one of the most kick ass themes in Sonic History. Now that I think of it...Sonic Adventure as a whole had an amazing soundtrack.
There's a reason why it has the longest list of any game (aside from the fact that the older games just don't have as many songs). Also, at least on the official soundtrack versions, E-102's theme segues right into Crazy Robo. Listening to them back to back is always a great experience.

lopaz

Banned
Guys, I really need your help. There was a certain song in Sonic Heroes (think it was that anyway) that rocked, but I can't find it cause there were like 50 songs in that game. It went something like "Racing, speed of sound, Sonic the hedgehog" but I know those aren't the exact lyrics since I can't find them on google.

Anyhoos, Sonic music in all its forms has been consistently awesome, even as the games become progessively more suck. I love it all, from the catchy 16 bit raditude to the
over-the-top japanese pop-metal of the new stuff

Teknoman

lopaz said:
Guys, I really need your help. There was a certain song in Sonic Heroes (think it was that anyway) that rocked, but I can't find it cause there were like 50 songs in that game. It went something like "Racing, speed of sound, Sonic the hedgehog" but I know those aren't the exact lyrics since I can't find them on google.

Anyhoos, Sonic music in all its forms has been consistently awesome, even as the games become progessively more suck. I love it all, from the catchy 16 bit raditude to the

You arent talking about the main theme song to the game are you?

"What goes up, must come down! Yet my feet dont touch the ground! See the world spinnin upside down, a mighty crash without a sound!"

lopaz

Banned
Teknoman said:
You arent talking about the main theme song to the game are you?

Nope. Not the one that goes "Soonic Herooooooooooes". It was in a cutscene near the start, of Sonic running in a big desert place if I remember correctly (haven't played it for years) then his teammates joined him

Ten-Song

lopaz said:

Could you be thinking of We Can maybe?

Sciz

lopaz said:
That would be We Can:

Sonic's in the lead, giving us greater speed
Tails keeps us flying high, to staaaaaay out of trouble!
And Knuckles by our side, makes things a safer ride
We'll save the world and teach that Eeeeeeggman a lesson!

I refuse to link to it on principle.

Even though I wrote that off the top of my head.

Cdammen

Awesome thread Sciz!

My favorite Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tune: Chemical Plant Zone

(EDIT)
Sciz said:
[Sonic] Advance is an unambitious but relatively competant game that falls in snugly between the Game Gear and Genesis titles as far as quality is concerned.
WAT

I consider this game one of the best Sonic the Hedgehog games out there. It feels like the first three games gameplay wise, it's gorgeous and has catchy music.

Firestorm

Kccitystar said:
HH_JMR_front.png

Two pages in and nobody has mentioned Hedgehog Heaven yet?

That's nothing. FOUR pages and nobody has mentioned Project Chaos?!?!

lopaz

Banned
Ten-Song said:
Could you be thinking of We Can maybe?

That's not the one, though it is pretty cool.

I found THIS when searching the lyrics on google

Angels of a Wing said:
Yes happy birthday Sonic!!!

Running around at the speed of sound, Sonic the hedgehog.

They seriously need to make a sequal to Sonic 3 and Knuckles! That was THE best sonic game of all time. Most of the ones after that suck.

This guy clearly knew the song. Shame he got banned :(

edit - it was on gaf btw

Sciz

lopaz said:
That's not the one, though it is pretty cool.

I found THIS when searching the lyrics on google

This guy clearly knew the song. Shame he got banned :(

edit - it was on gaf btw
If it's "running around at the speed of sound", then there's no possibility besides Escape From the City from SA2.

Cdammen said:
WAT

I consider this game one of the best Sonic the Hedgehog games out there. It feels like the first three games gameplay wise, it's gorgeous and has catchy music.
It's been a while since I've played it, but the biggest problem that comes to mind offhand is the really cheap enemy and spike placement. The level design just isn't well paced. The game really feels like it was built for Amy and her slower gameplay instead of the high speeds of the other three. And the music is pleasant, but something about it just doesn't click with me. I think it's probably because of the GB-ish synth they used instead of a bass.

lopaz

Banned
Sciz said:
If it's "running around at the speed of sound", then there's no possibility besides Escape From the City from SA2.

Not that... the lyrics were "speed of sound, sonic the hedgehog". Damn, I don't think I imagined it... I have such vivid memories of the melody and cutscene I saw it in.

Sciz

There's no song in the Heroes soundtrack that has "speed of sound" or "Sonic the Hedgehog" in the lyrics. The only other two possibilities that come to mind are the SatAM theme and Super Sonic Racing.

Firestorm said:
That's nothing. FOUR pages and nobody has mentioned Project Chaos?!?!
I'm not mentioning remixes because they aren't what I was trying to emphasize with this topic, aside from the few official ones. Unless they're remixes of the more obscure themes from the series.

lopaz

Banned
Sciz said:
There's no song in the Heroes soundtrack that has "speed of sound" or "Sonic the Hedgehog" in the lyrics. The only other two possibilities that come to mind are the SatAM theme and Super Sonic Racing.

I'm not mentioning remixes because they aren't what I was trying to emphasize with this topic, aside from the few official ones. Unless they're remixes of the more obscure themes from the series.

OMG THE SATAM THEME WAS IT. I love you I love you I love you. If you need a vessel for your children, I'm your guy.

(I also really love Supersonic Racing)

edit: I swear to god I heard it in Heroes, or some other 3d game (maybe adventure 1) I am certain.

Sciz

The only official media that song has ever been in is SatAM. And a cameo of the lyrics in an issue of the Archie comic.

lopaz

Banned
Sciz said:
The only official media that song has ever been in is SatAM. And a cameo of the lyrics in an issue of the Archie comic.

Well I don't like you telling me these lies, but thanks still :)

I really have to buy the DVD boxset of that cartoon. I've been meaning too, and the awesome theme just makes me want it more.

Sonic Advance feels too slow. Sonic feels totally weighed down for some reason in the game, and it's really hard to build up momentum in the game. It was good for the time, but hasn't held up in the face of the other two Sonic Advance games, let alone Rush.

Some pretty rad music in the game, though. Secret Base Act 1 especially; it really gets you into the spy theme the beginning of the level has going for it. I wish the kept that mentality through the rest of the act. :(

Teknoman

hanpusu-taichou said:
Awesome thread.

But, Marble Zone. Probably one of my favorites of all time. I remember being a kid playing the first Sonic game every time I hear it.

The love.

This one I remember most from my childhood.
Labyrinth Zone

Its funny how most people think that Green Hill zone should be the most memorable song theme...but for me its something like Labyrinth, Spring yard, or Scrap Brain. Oh and Chrome Gadget/Hydrocity zone act 2.

Darkpen

Banned
Wow, I'm surprised by the lack of Project Chaos in this thread. It was compilation done by the OCR community, too!

http://www.ocremix.org/

But yeah, I don't really have much to add to this thread outside of:

signed-1.jpg

Forgot who signed it, but I know he worked on the Sonic soundtracks starting from 3 D:

Guzim

I just want to say that Emerald Hill Zone from Sonic 2 might be my favorite song from a video game. I remember this past summer downloading it for the Wii, and playing it for the first time in God knows how many years. And hearing the music for the first time in however just brought me back to Christmas 1992 getting a Sega Genesis that was bundled with Sonic 2.

I love Look Alike from the Sonic Movie. I personally liked the movie although others didn't for some reason. Hey TC, you should include some of the SSBB Sonic music mixes because some of them are really good remixes

Angel Island Zone

Willenium

I loved all of the Genesis music. I mean, who doesn't like the Chemical Plant Zone theme, or the Hilltop Zone theme? Hell, I remember a friend and I trying to record the Starlight Zone theme from Sonic 1 with a fisher-price tape-recorder microphone. it didn't work :(

but am I the only one who thought all of the songs with lyrics were really horribly corny? I couldn't listen to any of those, much less run the risk of anyone seeing me listening to those songs. they made me feel embarrassed.

Christopher

Willenium said:
I loved all of the Genesis music. I mean, who doesn't like the Chemical Plant Zone theme, or the Hilltop Zone theme? Hell, I remember a friend and I trying to record the Starlight Zone theme from Sonic 1 with a fisher-price tape-recorder microphone. it didn't work :(

but am I the only one who thought all of the songs with lyrics were really horribly corny? I couldn't listen to any of those, much less run the risk of anyone seeing me listening to those songs. they made me feel embarrassed.

Yeah they're cool for what they are - not gonna rock out to them on my iPod but I enjoy hearing them in game.

Willenium said:

Yup, they're corny all right. They fit with the cartoony theme of the game, but if I try to listen to them anywhere else they make me nervous. I think a new songwriter is in order.

MisterHero

The 2D Sonic games really make me admire MIDI/synth. But there are some vocalized songs like Sonic Boom I really liked too. Sonic Adventure and Adventure were good but that's where my liking for Sonic music ends.

Sciz

Zoramon089 said:
Hey TC, you should include some of the SSBB Sonic music mixes because some of them are really good remixes

Angel Island Zone
If "remixes" was an accurate word to use, I might have listed more. Unfortunately, AIZ is the only one Brawl has, and it's already in there under Sonic 3.

Thanks again for the thread, Sciz. I spent all morning jamming out to some Sonic tunes as I cleaned, then just spent... Shit the last hour and a half reading through some of the stuff I skipped earlier.

I can't believe the Archie Sonic X comic is that insane. Sounds like I might need to look into picking it up. :lol

Edit: Speaking of which, I knew you'd left out my favorite song from Sonic R, so, I thought I'd give a link to it. It's Can You Feel the Sunshine.

Sciz

Penguin said:
Their performance is a bit...lacking, but I like the style they're going for.

And I have no problem with this being bumped periodically. :D

As long as this is back up anyway, I'll make another plea for people to please point out broken links to me. I run through the list every so often for my own enjoyment, and invariably I end up finding a few tunes that Youtube has removed for one reason or another.

Now someone get on to me for being a lazy git so I have a reason to update this thing.

Penguin

Sciz said:
Their performance is a bit...lacking, but I like the style they're going for.

And I have no problem with this being bumped periodically. :D

As long as this is back up anyway, I'll make another plea for people to please point out broken links to me. I run through the list every so often for my own enjoyment, and invariably I end up finding a few tunes that Youtube has removed for one reason or another.

Now someone get on to me for being a lazy git so I have a reason to update this thing.
You lazy bum you!
Get to work on updating the thread!

How does that work?

Surprised no tag for this thread.

robot

My brother bought this Sonic Remix CD well over 10 years ago. I never knew which game these songs were remixed from, but some of them are just awesome. I managed to get the CD from him when he was throwing a bunch of old stuff out. Good times.

FrontCoverThumb.jpg

This site
is actually hosting it, if this is against TOS lemme know and I'll remove the link. Some of the tracks are a bit cheesy, but still worth a listen.

Burli

Pringo
Hey guys, I have an odd request.

I have this song that I was obsessed in from a Sonic game but I have no idea which game it's from and it's really busting my nut, what I remember of it;

-It had males chanting "Go Sonic, Go Sonic, Go!" - At least something like this, if not exactly this
-Possibly had clapping or something along those lines
-Was one of the later levels, if not the last
-Was a sonic game on either the Megadrive(Genesis) or Master System, but probably the genesis.

Anyone remember this one?

Vague, I know.

Teknoman

ZealousD said:
Jeh Jeh Rocket is my personal favorite Sonic song. Rush's soundtrack in general was pretty damn good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Axsh-T7RJ4s

Heh i made you really want to rush through High Crisis, or at least keep the momentum up.

Also damn I wish Sonic 2006 had been a good game. The soundtrack was amazing.

Burli said:
Hey guys, I have an odd request.

I have this song that I was obsessed in from a Sonic game but I have no idea which game it's from and it's really busting my nut, what I remember of it;

-It had males chanting "Go Sonic, Go Sonic, Go!" - At least something like this, if not exactly this
-Possibly had clapping or something along those lines
-Was one of the later levels, if not the last
-Was a sonic game on either the Megadrive(Genesis) or Master System, but probably the genesis.

Anyone remember this one?

Vague, I know.

Probably something from Sonic 3 then, since thats one of the few that had vocal elements to songs. Could be the JP Sonic CD soundtrack though.

Top Bottom