• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cops suing NYPD say police use quotas, and it’s making the subways more dangerous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guevara

What's the primary departmental goal of quotas? To make it look like you're being useful?

How do you measure if each of the 35,000 cops are actually doing their jobs?

One (lazy) way is to make them show work in the form some number of stops, tickets, arrests, etc.

platocplx

Honestly number of arrests and citations are pretty stupid in terms of measuring these guys for performance.

I think this is apart of the problem when it comes to police profiling etc. They need better measures maybe stuff like how they resolve and perform during arrests. Number of complaints they receive. Efforts they make to be staples in the communities they work in. You know stuff like that.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Huh, quotas a openly legal here. It's buuuuullshit.

Policing for profit. Giving out citations just because. This is the worst type of policing. And of course only Black and Brown people are targeted.

I was a police officer in Virginia for about 7 years, and while it was never specifically stated there were quotas, if you were not a ticket writing machine you were looked over for promotions, didn't get high paying off duty work, and were basically treated like a lesser officer. It's a big part of why I'm no longer in that line of work

shira

d9mq69h.gif

The Wire's explanation of shitty cities padding stats for funding pretty much makes me wanna barf.

johnny956

I was a police officer in Virginia for about 7 years, and while it was never specifically stated there were quotas, if you were not a ticket writing machine you were looked over for promotions, didn't get high paying off duty work, and were basically treated like a lesser officer. It's a big part of why I'm no longer in that line of work

That's what sounds like its going on at NYPD. There isn't an official quota system anymore but they sure do reward those who think there still is one

Ditto.

I was a correction officer and we gave inmates "tickets" for infractions. In the academy they told us if you can get a inmate to comply without giving a ticket that was the better outcome. Guess who got a talking to for having the lowest ticket count on my shift..... me.

It didn't matter to them if they complied or not. They just look at the numbers to see who's doing their job. It's like what the other poster said, it's the lazy way to manage people and see if they are putting in a good effort.

Edit:^
That's why I loved The Wire. There was a lot of ugly truth in there.

Kurtofan

Top NYPD officials have repeatedly denied the I-Team's requests for comments, but NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton responded to Raymond's claims in February by calling them "bullshit."

where's the gif people

TheJLC

What's the primary departmental goal of quotas? To make it look like you're being useful?

It's a failed policy by some departments of using the amount of arrests to compare the increase/decrease in crime. It's a policy of blaming the beat cop for crime. Supposedly More arrests and stops = less crime. Crime goes up = it's because the police are not doing enough. The problem is some departments making invisible quotas for their officers that are not realistic and result in decreased morale, strained relationships with the community, and removal of police discretion to meet numbers.

So let's say you get X legit arrests per month but crime upticks, the brass start asking for more cause crime is up. Officer now is told that arrests are down and crime is up, so X is no longer enough. Officer gets X arrests as usual but now has to meet Y criteria or gets look down upon as a lazy cop by the brass. So now the citizen gets arrested for petty crimes, which is legal, but petty.

And just so people know, it's not about tickets it's about arrests and stops. Tickets are usually the job of meter maids and parking enforcement not police. This policy has been spreading to many departments as CompStat or other names. Number driven policing to map and deter crime.

Hopefully a lieutenant speaking out on top of the 10 or 12 other cops might get a ball rolling.

Quotas for arrests are ridiculous

Honestly this sounds like that study done at a top tier banking firm/investment group

They type of place where 80 hour work weeks were considered standard

Top management openly admitting that they saw the most productive people and most valuable people as the ones who came in the earliest/stayed the latest.

Study showed empirically that this was not the case on average. [People taking 3 hour lunches, working out 2 hours a day at the office etc.]

Management responded that they were not going to change how they viewed it regardless of the study

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom