• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
My friends wife is having a baby soon. She is fully vaccinated since she got her shots awhile ago. The hospital requires a negative covid test before birth still. After the negative test she has to wear a mask through the entire childbirth.

Why?

Wow, that is beyond fucked up. It's hard enough to breath during actual childbirth and they require a mask?

Chaplain

My friends wife is having a baby soon. She is fully vaccinated since she got her shots awhile ago. The hospital requires a negative covid test before birth still. After the negative test she has to wear a mask through the entire childbirth.

Why?

I hope they do not enforce this, especially if she starts to have breathing problems during childbirth. Also, I was allowed not to wear my mask post-surgery and I was in my own room (had surgery on the 9th). I disclosed to the medical staff (nurses, doctors, etc.) that I had been fully vaccinated in February (had my card just in case someone needed evidence). Every single person that entered my room was perfectly fine that I was not wearing a mask throughout my stay in my hospital room.

edited

Last edited:

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game

Why?
Every hospital has their own policy, but at ours patients are generally only required to wear a mask when leaving their room.
We don't make exceptions for vaccination status since 1) community transmission is still very high, with >50% of new cases being variants 2) even if fully vaccinated, there's still a risk, and a >5% risk of someone causing an outbreak is simply too high for our patients.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

This is going to be ruled on in France in the coming days - should vaccinated people be subject to restrictions in place to protect the population at large.

My take: fuck yes, the country burns for 12 months now to protect old and people that fucked up their health and now they are the ones to benefit from it? Talk about moral hazard.

Also, childcare closes for 3 weeks starting Monday, it’s going to be fun times working.

Jezbollah

The issue of covid vaccine "passports" has turned up some interesting potential political alliances in the UK Parliament.

The Government and SNP would have enough votes to pass this, but it's thrown up interesting bedfellows...

lyan

Such illnesses depend on many parameters, from air pollution, to eating habits.
That's why one takes into account country specific figures.
It is just 2 per million in Germany.
Just seems hard to conclude anything when it is still within the normal range of another region, especially when this year many people's diet/habits may have changed due to lockdowns, e.g. more takeaway fast-food / less exercise / mental stress / less people take medical checks etc.

llien

Just seems hard to conclude anything when it is still within the normal range of another region, especially when this year many people's diet/habits may have changed due to lockdowns, e.g. more takeaway fast-food / less exercise / mental stress / less people take medical checks etc.
But why on earth would you compare it to figures of other regions?

Note that it is accompanied by weirdness in blood, which I don't think even is a part of normal thrombosis.

Last edited:

lyan

But why on earth would you compare it to figures of other regions?
As a reference to what a natural rate of occurrence could be like, thereby acknowledging that there is a higher chance of making type1 errors given other factors have differed.

llien

As a reference to what a natural rate of occurrence could be like, thereby acknowledging that there is a higher chance of making type1 errors given other factors have differed.
What I'd do instead, would be comparing it to the reactions to other vaccines.
Which, by the way, are administered in higher numbers, only small fraction (thanks to AZ failing to deliver to any place, but UK) of vaccines are AZ vaccines, Germany has much higher number of people vaccinated with Pfizer-Biontech jab (and around a million of Modernas), if that was caused by lockdowns, all groups would be affected.

So now we need to dive into "it's happening with other vaccines, but is not reported" conspiracy.

The lockdown crowd isn't going to be having a good year.
The world is having (what is likely) our last spring wave before it dies off to become endemic so they're actually savoring every day of Q2 loving it. Q3 and Q4 of this year they'll be having a hard time for sure though.

GamingKaiju

Updates from Germany on brain thrombosis cases.

2.6m doses administered (I don't know, how many were second doses).
31 cases of rare brain thrombosis. (normally happens 1-2 times a year per 1 million people)
9 dead. (Germany alone, was only 2 dead when AZ jabs were suspended for the first time)

Seems to mostly harm women under 50.

The question here is, how come UK has administered more than 20 million of AZ jabs, but hasn't detected the effect. (no, it's not happening only in Germany, out of 15 brain thrombosis deaths detected when AZ vaccination was first suspended, only 2 cases were German)

llien llien If you're intrested Dr. John Campbell has done a video on this subject

Starts @ 15:10

Aesius

lyan

What I'd do instead, would be comparing it to the reactions to other vaccines.
Which, by the way, are administered in higher numbers, only small fraction (thanks to AZ failing to deliver to any place, but UK) of vaccines are AZ vaccines, Germany has much higher number of people vaccinated with Pfizer-Biontech jab (and around a million of Modernas), if that was caused by lockdowns, all groups would be affected.

So now we need to dive into "it's happening with other vaccines, but is not reported" conspiracy.
I cannot find any particular study/statistic on the German number of the thrombosis. What I found though was that 2-5 per million was actually quite common across the globe, a decade or so ago. However, more recent studies in Australia, Netherlands, US have all noted significant increase in the number of cases. I don't think Germany would be a lone exception in the west.

Well, you are hinting on a UK conspiracy in the first place.

llien

llien llien If you're intrested Dr. John Campbell has done a video on this subject

Starts @ 15:10

Thanks.

Well, bitching aside, the main part I've got out was the official UK figures for the said thrombosis.

And on bitching part:
1) There were good enough (at least for me) reasons for all the "under this age... no after that age", namely, barely any figures were available for efficacy for the respective groups in the beginning
2) Canada following suit on banning the use on the young, shows that if it is some sort of conspiracy, not only EU, but also Canada is somehow part of it
3) There is no explanation of thrombosis happening 25 times more often in Germany. I'd resort to "but more young women were vaccinated" except I doubt that is the case.

The "not enough data" is... largely about trust.
I have zero reasons not to be believe PEI.

And on his other bitching on Sputnik V (which I personally wouldn't take either, the same for J&J at this point):
EU is not pushing any of its members to do or not do something with vaccines. Each country can decide whatever the heck they want to do. I know, it contradicts what brexiters were saying, but uh oh, that's the way things are.

It feels crazy, to be honest, being some sort of jealous about freaking vaccines... Yet that's what it looks like.

However, more recent studies in Australia, Netherlands, US have all noted significant increase in the number of cases. I don't think Germany would be a lone exception in the west.
This is basically being dismissive of PEI.
It also contradicts UK's stats, cough, think about that.
Nor does it explain how that doesn't happen with Pfizer (which has been administered in times higher numbers than AZ)

Well, you are hinting on a UK conspiracy in the first place.
I'm actually quite clear about there being a notable discrepancy.
And the "UK is underreporting" vs "Germany is faking deaths" is a no-brainer choice to me.

At the same time, I do not see that as the only possible explanation.

Last edited:

GamingKaiju

Thanks.

Well, bitching aside, the main part I've got out was the official UK figures for the said thrombosis.

And on bitching part:
1) There were good enough (at least for me) reasons for all the "under this age... no after that age", namely, barely any figures were available for efficacy for the respective groups in the beginning
2) Canada following suit on banning the use on the young, shows that if it is some sort of conspiracy, not only EU, but also Canada is somehow part of it
3) There is no explanation of thrombosis happening 25 times more often in Germany. I'd resort to "but more young women were vaccinated" except I doubt that is the case.

The "not enough data" is... largely about trust.
I have zero reasons not to be believe PEI.

And on his other bitching on Sputnik V (which I personally wouldn't take either, the same for J&J at this point):
EU is not pushing any of its members to do or not do something with vaccines. Each country can decide whatever the heck they want to do. I know, it contradicts what brexiters were saying, but uh oh, that's the way things are.

It feels crazy, to be honest, being some sort of jealous about freaking vaccines... Yet that's what it looks like.

Nor does it explain how that doesn't happen with Pfizer (which has been administered in times higher numbers than AZ)

And the "UK is underreporting" vs "Germany is faking deaths" is a no-brainer choice to me.

It is a strange issue I agree, why dvt is way higher in Germany then it is in the U.K. only raises more questions then it answers, I would never freak out over vaccine brand I just disagree with some of the rhetoric and actions the EU has taken.

Hulk_Smash

Banned

Why?
Because people are fucked up and love controlling behavior even if it makes no sense. It’s like having that MD after your name is like some kind of police badge.

Let this sink in: hundreds of thousands of people have died alone with no loved ones around them and almost no one has protested this.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
This is going to be ruled on in France in the coming days - should vaccinated people be subject to restrictions in place to protect the population at large.

My take: fuck yes, the country burns for 12 months now to protect old and people that fucked up their health and now they are the ones to benefit from it? Talk about moral hazard.

Also, childcare closes for 3 weeks starting Monday, it’s going to be fun times working.
Spoken like someone who doesn’t know any old people or would never go to a nursing home because it “smells funny”.

Vestal

Gold Member
Wife and I got the first dose of Pfizer this morning.. She has slight soreness in her arm, while I don't feel a thing hehe..

4/22 for the second shot.

pel1300

I'm mad boys. This spike we're seeing. Driven by the younger demographics/spring break partiers. Being college age myself I know many who KNOW it is wrong and will drive spread. Who KNOW it is selfish and stupid. And STILL went to Florida anyway and I have to see snap stories of packed bars of them partying. It's a stunning level of moral bankruptcy that honestly just depresses me more than anything. We need to get vaccines out for all 18-29 year olds ASAP.
I was in FL for a week. Most of the tourists were from Michigan, NJ, and NY and were dying for some normal life. Blame Whitmer and Cuomo.

Cyberpunkd

Spoken like someone who doesn’t know any old people or would never go to a nursing home because it “smells funny”.
Old people already had the whole world bend over to save them, they can sit tight for a few more months. Likewise, they never took care to protect themselves more, limit contact etc. And that’s because many old people are insufferable shits much more egoistic than even the youth.

lyan

A suspected reason of the increase cited by the studies I looked up (humans probably didn't suddenly get more susceptible to cvt) is that the condition is not easily diagnosed and advanced neuroimaging analysis are needed in order to ascertain the occurrence. So there is inherently some form of survival bias on the issue.

Looking at the number of Pfizer shots done in Germany, given the average rate of occurrence of the thrombosis there should already be at least a few cases happened by now, naturally (unless either the vaccine by accident has the side effect of being a cvt suppressor or Germans are indeed a lone exception globally). The same probably happened in the UK as a natural phenomena, it's not a conspiracy/intentional under-reporting but rather the complexity and rareness of the condition itself. A thousand that took Pfizer shot should probably have died by now naturally so if we look harder there might be some cases, who knows, but I wouldn't say there is ill intent in hiding even if so, that is disrespectful to all those that have worked hard in these times.

Again, I'm not say there is absolutely no chance of a link but it is not easy to draw a conclusion from just looking at a few numbers.

Forsete

Gold Member
So the guy I work with might have got it. He got tested today, he will know the results tomorrow at the earliest.

If I've I got it from him I will start feeling sick by tomorrow at the earliest.

Lets nuke China next time, OK?

So like predicted I got the wiruws.

Damn this shit spreads very easily. I barely talked to the guy that day (Wednesday) because he went home early, he said he could feel that is throat was starting to act up.

On sunday I woke up with a sore throat and a mild cold. The sore throat part went away after a few hours but the cold persisted.

My colleague called me that sunday and said his test came back positive, so I ordered one myself.
If I hadn’t known he was positive I would not have tested myself due only to the very mild cold I still had.

A day later I lost my sense of taste and smell, which is still gone. The cold went away 2 days ago.

On Wednesday the test came back positive for me.

So I got a very-very mild version of the coronavirus, so I am very lucky.
This is day 6 so I suppose I am out of the woods by now.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Old people already had the whole world bend over to save them, they can sit tight for a few more months. Likewise, they never took care to protect themselves more, limit contact etc. And that’s because many old people are insufferable shits much more egoistic than even the youth.
Ahhh fuck you, you ageist.

llien

A suspected reason of the increase cited by the studies I looked up (humans probably didn't suddenly get more susceptible to cvt) is that the condition is not easily diagnosed and advanced neuroimaging analysis are needed in order to ascertain the occurrence. So there is inherently some form of survival bias on the issue.
I could imagine non-fatal case of such thrombosis to go undetected.
Yet we are talking about young women dying.
That is not something that ever goes undetected.

llien

And one more super weird thing.
In all those cases patients had low levels of platelets.
That is the condition in which, as far as I understand, you'd expect effects opposite to thrombosis (blood blockage), e.g. non-stop bleeding.

llien

Number of jabs received by EU countries. Looks like flat per capita figure (Germany is the largest EU country of 82 million) bar jabs procured outside common EU scheme (e.g. Hungary)

2SuhcJV.png

Euronews (describes details on EU procurement scheme)

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Hmm, so I have Covid despite getting Pfizer few months back. Not sure how that happened.

llien

Hmm, so I have Covid despite getting Pfizer few months back. Not sure how that happened.
Did you have one or 2 jabs? (it's not a 100% protection for a reason though)
First dose is said to give about 80% protection, second brings it to 94% (at about 2 weeks after the vaccination)

It also supposedly softens the virus impact, in case it still gets through.

M1chl

Did you have one or 2 jabs? (it's not a 100% protection for a reason though)
First dose is said to give about 80% protection, second brings it to 94% (at about 2 weeks after the vaccination)

It also supposedly softens the virus impact, in case it still gets through.
Yeah 2 jabs, but I am immunity deficient and as far as I know, that could lower the effectiveness to 60%. But I should have just a mild symptoms, I can live with that.

Jezbollah

None of the vaccines are 100% preventitive to getting the virus. Most of their effect is to combat it to stop it becoming serious enough to suffer severe illness.

And even then, these percentages that are thrown around are cavated to whatever strains they've been assessed against.

Forsete

Gold Member

The vaccines do not protect against getting the virus. They help protect against getting very seriously ill from the virus.
You might still get a very mild case of it. That is why it is still important to keep on with social distancing even after having gotten the vaccine, because if you are infected you could infect others with no protection.

Edit: Jezbollah said the same thing. Disregard.

Last edited:

M1chl

The vaccines do not protect against getting the virus. They help protect against getting very seriously ill from the virus.
You might still get a very mild case of it. That is why it is still important to keep on with social distancing even after having gotten the vaccine, because if you are infected you could infect others with no protection.
I wrote as such in my next post after that : )

llien

Yesterday's ZDF news mentions that UK "nun" admits having 30 cases of that rare thrombosis.

On the "conspiracies" and stats discrepancy that talked earlier.

lyan

I could imagine non-fatal case of such thrombosis to go undetected.
Yet we are talking about young women dying.
That is not something that ever goes undetected.
They didn't meant undetected, by rather misdiagnosed as something else. The condition is (among the ones that got it) rather common in young woman anyway since contraceptive pills increase the rate of occurrence to something like 1,000 per million iirc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom