• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Corporate America needs to move away from China.

dirthead

Banned
Nexts years thread.
Why are clothes suddenly up 2000%

Why is my iphone 3000 dollars?

REEEE

And when the strength of the US dollar shoots up again through the roof, miraculously it all works itself out. No, what basically happened is that the US middle class's money got transferred to China. They got shittier products at lower prices, but it was more than offset by weakening the dollar and butchering blue collar jobs. Only the elite benefited from selling out the country.

Woo-Fu

Banned
maybe now idiots will stop whining about russia

listen to your goddamn president
Because obviously there can only be one problematic regime in the world at a time. I guess as long as we focus on China we can bury our head in the sand about anything else?

At some point the rest of the world will have to make a decision when it comes to China. They will have to decide between human rights, freedom of speech, and dignity or comfort, money, and convenience.

Because as of right now you cannot have it both ways. Not with the way that China is currently structured. They have officially begun using their financial influence to strongarm foreign businesses and attempt to infringe upon the rights of citizens of foreign countries. They have made it clear that they don't want to limit their oppression to their own country. They want to be able to oppress anyone that is critical of them regardless of geographical location. And they think that because they are as influential as they are they think its going to work and so far it has. But if companies like Blizzard and organizations like the NBA stand up and say "fuck that and fuck your money" then that might just be the shout that starts the avalanche. Because the biggest companies and organizations have to stand up first in order for other smaller ones to follow. They are the only ones that can make a significant enough impact to make China second guess its actions.

The problem is getting multi-billion dollar companies to care about people more than money.

Quoting so other people see this gospel for the holiness it is.

All China knows how to do is steal, hack, and censor. They buy in to our companies but aren’t creating globally appealing pop culture with popular musicians, fashion, or books. Where are their movies, tv, or even culture changing inventions. Where is the Chinese McDonalds? The rest of the world is drowning in Western pop culture that China will never be able to replace.

To be fair, a lot of the Western pop culture we have today came about following the computer revolution of the 1950s', up through to (I'd say) the '90s (the last decade I feel where Western pop culture was truly definitive; the '00s laxed a good deal because of 9/11 and the stuff after that, but there's still some defining things from there too like the iPod/iPhone/iPad, emo/goth rock etc. Then the recession happened and I think that's made the 2010s a pretty mundane decade culture-wise tbqh).

Those properties, artists etc. were able to cement themselves both domestically and globally when large chunks of the world (including China) were simply unable to compete due to the way things were at those times. Also no other country profited off WWII as strongly as America did (but I'm not gonna delve into that here). Most of what we have coming out these days are just repackaging of pop culture from the '50s to the '90s honestly; domestically there's not a lot of really defining stuff coming around and part of that is due to the culture war bullshit, but it's not the only factor.

If more Western properties stagnate or even die off (like what seems is happening to Star Wars ATM), that's going to create a vacuum and allow for others to fill it in due time. Though as a country, China has a massive problem with stifling critical thinking, which is absolutely crucial to being a creative individual in any creative field. You have to know more than just memorizing the formulas and whatever the tests want you to memorize to get good grades (though that obviously means a lot, too).

Last edited:
Is it fair to say that China got a shitton of their current leverage from the recession back in '07? I mean, banks had to find someone to buy up their debt, China was more than able to...now a little over a decade later, and here we are :S

FMXVII

China sucks. Their gubment are communist jerks. These are are facts.

China leaves third world braces wounds on willies.

Their gubment is an oppressive Oligarchy that eats, breathes, and sleeps human rights violations. These are fixed for accuracy.

Last edited:
But, one area that has annoyed the shit out of me on a more personal consumer level is the trash decision making that seems to be infesting more and more Hollywood movies obviously pandering to the massive revenue potential of the Chinese box office.

This is something where it feels like the numbers don't really support the idea. Having over 4x the population of America the common sense idea is that you'd get 4x the profit from Chinese BO, but I don't think even Disney sees near that number (and they have special priority deals with the CCP that I don't think any other studio does tbh).

When you factor in foreign films only get 25% of their BO from Chinese revenues (China gets the other 75%), AND most movies only get a max of one month in Chinese theaters if they're foreign (and in some cases, get pulled early due to bad performance, like The Last Jedi, though again, that's a Disney film, and chances are they got some kind of benefit after the fact for the film being pulled early. But it'd probably be in their financials), and it seems pretty small. Captain Marvel for example, made $154 million in China, but if it were anything but a Disney film, the studio would've only made $38.5 million of that as profit...and that doesn't include deductions from marketing costs.

Even considering Disney may get 50% instead of 25%, that's still "only" $77 million lifetime Chinese box office, compared to the $213 profit (not factoring in marketing costs) they got for the movie from the American B.O (or just about $213 million, anyway). Anyway, $77 million extra of net revenue (or even $38.5 million extra of net revenue) is nothing to sneeze at, but the way studios like Disney bend over for China (measures more than they do for their domestic fanbases even; where was the equivalent of the Captain Marvel controversy for that movie in China? Nonexistent, because Disney/Marvel calculated that controversy specifically for the American market, that's how little they respect American audiences) would make it seem like they're banking 4x the net revenue from there alone vs. domestic, and that simply isn't true whatsoever.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Ugh, Donny and others have been on this train for ages, but nobody bothered to listen. It's almost too late now. The economic sanctions are our only hope.

Ten_Fold

A lot of big corporations care mainly about profit and how they can make more money, I wish the u.s would start making things here even though things might get more expensive but man China is a fucked up country I feel bad for the citizens.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Any country can move away from China.

But are you willing to go through this?

1. All the shit you buy from China takes years for production to transfer to a different country (or your own)

2. You are willing to pay higher prices

3. China has sheer manpower to make all kinds of shit. Ditch them and the variety of stuff you see at the store will be reduced

4. If you are expecting lots of production to come from the local economy or similar countries, unemployment is probably 5% on avg among western countries. And I don'y expect many people to be happy transferring production from China to Mongolia. You probably want most of it coming from NA or Europe.

China has about 750 million people in the workforce. Can your local economy or other peer countries even support trying to fill in probably half a billion Chinese workers who were focusing on exporting to other countries?

bitbydeath

People underestimate how much China owns this world. You piss them off and they will come collect those debts like the Iron Bank of Braavos.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
personally i have thought this for years and years. but corporate America is so craven, i have a hard time believing things will change to any large degree.

i mean look at how much people bitched about Trump's tariff's. "You're hurting American businesses!" they said.

we are too attached at the hip. even growing up as a kid in the 80s i knew China held our debt.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Corporations are communism for party members, sorry I mean shareholders. Change my mind.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
xDWKZf5.jpg

C4lukin2

Banned
Not even necessarily here, being the US. Just not China, or Russia or a dozen other countries.

That still leaves us with 150 plus countries that we can do business with, without selling our souls.

I would argue, that every US based company that is manufacturing in China, should stop.

The transition would take a few years, it would hurt our economy in the short run. And I am a Capitalist sort of dude. But giving any money or resources to China, unless their government makes some huge changes, is similar to working with the Fascist governments of Germany, Austria, and Italy during the rise of power of the Nazis.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Not even necessarily here, being the US. Just not China, or Russia or a dozen other countries.

That still leaves us with 150 plus countries that we can do business with, without selling our souls.

I would argue, that every US based company that is manufacturing in China, should stop.

The transition would take a few years, it would hurt our economy in the short run. And I am a Capitalist sort of dude. But giving any money or resources to China, unless their government makes some huge changes, is similar to working with the Fascist governments of Germany, Austria, and Italy during the rise of power of the Nazis.

Giving money to China is anti-freedom at this point. Burn their economy to the ground. I’d also make massive changes to corporate regulations as well. Making a law that corporate fiduciary responsibility is only to shareholders was a gate for communism to jump in and take control of capitalism.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
This was inevitable.

No country gets to stay on top forever. Rome, Greece, Egypt. The world powers change. I said since I was a kid China was going to be the next superpower, and it turns out I was right.

There is too much going on to stop or even stall it. Outsourcing and offshoring made sure they are going to become the global economic power.

Greta wants to cry that climate change is our biggest problem. Economic instability is going to come first.

When one country can control all your imports, what happens if they don’t want to export to you anymore?

It’s funny that everyone is waking up now, but it’s 3 decades too late.

Gargus

Banned
Corporations don't care about politics, they care about money. And if China is their best choice to make money that's who they will go with. It isn't personal, it isn't about politics, it isn't about a statement or anything else besides money.

Honestly I can't blame them either because it's all about business. Do I agree with what the Chinese government does? No I don't. But it's also a Chinese problem contained within their own country. A business is a machine, unfeeling and uncaring because it's designed to sell some sort of service or product and nothing more. And they can't afford to sit and cherry pick who they work with on what because of popular opinion because it all comes down to the numbers.

Banned
It is a horrible thing to say, but we can exploit other countries that do not commit atrocities.

Countries such as Alabama:)

But truly, the US and most of the Western world has depended on China. Meanwhile China steals our technology, and the Government creates “companies” built on stolen technology.

Meanwhile China is opressing, millions of Muslims in concentration camps. Real concentration camps, unlike poorly funded temporary holding cells for illegals in the US.

They are creating policies that reject any sort of fread

There's a billion people there to sell shit to. Corporate American wants that money

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Keep in mind 'HK police officers' includes those who do not engage in violent acts and are simply there to do their job... getting targeted because they're on the force.

I normally prefer nuance, but if you stand around while your buddies murder someone and do nothing to prevent it, that makes you an accessory to murder. Same difference.

Corporations don't care about politics, they care about money. And if China is their best choice to make money that's who they will go with. It isn't personal, it isn't about politics, it isn't about a statement or anything else besides money.

Honestly I can't blame them either because it's all about business. Do I agree with what the Chinese government does? No I don't. But it's also a Chinese problem contained within their own country. A business is a machine, unfeeling and uncaring because it's designed to sell some sort of service or product and nothing more. And they can't afford to sit and cherry pick who they work with on what because of popular opinion because it all comes down to the numbers.

And this opinion is why corporate captive market "capitalism" is broken.

Last edited:

NahaNago

They should have moved away decades ago. It is pretty much too late now. It would hurt too much now to unravel ourselves from China at this point. I do wonder if all this drama will help unravel the U.S. and China or will it all just go back in a year.

The normies who clamored for better graphics and more cinematic storylines are to blame, then. Asset creation is one of the most expensive parts of any creative endeavor.

Hold up, no no no. "Normie" gamers? They'd be casual and casual-core gamers, and they usually aren't the ones harping about graphics (especially early in the gen). That's always been the hardcore gamers, the early adopters.

Or do you mean "normies" politically? Because even most hardcore gamers are normies by that logic. I mean, you don't need to live and breath a political culture war to enjoy playing games. If anything it's a detriment to the health of the industry.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Hold up, no no no. "Normie" gamers? They'd be casual and casual-core gamers, and they usually aren't the ones harping about graphics (especially early in the gen). That's always been the hardcore gamers, the early adopters.

Or do you mean "normies" politically? Because even most hardcore gamers are normies by that logic. I mean, you don't need to live and breath a political culture war to enjoy playing games. If anything it's a detriment to the health of the industry.
I mean people who clamored for better graphics and more cinematic storylines. I don't view this particular group of gamers as "hardcore", but they aren't "casuals" either.

Tesseract

Banned
I agree and while at this would you American kindly tell your representative congressman/women to GTFO from Middle east too, especially after your previous country president murder 460,000 Iraqis there. Ah and from SK and Japan too while you at it.

we'll do whatever we want, and you'll take it

JordanN

Banned
China has about 750 million people in the workforce. Can your local economy or other peer countries even support trying to fill in probably half a billion Chinese workers who were focusing on exporting to other countries?
Automation could help solve this. Even though it would also put us out of a job in the process.

We're left with a Samson Option. Would you rather be enslaved by China or the Terminator?

0X72wfq.png

At least with an Automation scenario, we have time to prepare before the AI overthrows us.

Last edited:
Top Bottom