• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cosmos |OT| Host Neil deGrasse Tyson - Sundays at 9/8c on Fox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So last night I discovered that my girlfriend has never seen the original Cosmos. She had "heard of" Carl Sagan but doesn't know anything about him really. She grew up in the 70's and 80's but apparently her church (and religious school) practically forbid them from watching it as "it's all wrong and incorrect information."

It's going to be interesting watching this new Cosmos alongside of her. Maybe I should count how many times she rolls her eyes, lol. We are going to try to watch at least a few of the original series before next Sunday. I haven't seen them in awhile and she wants to see what it was all about.

OMG 5 days '-'

Also, new video: first look http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GZ2ul4E7Go

Great video! Still can't believe it was Seth MacFarlane who helped get this going. Seems so out of place because I'm so used to him in comedic roles. But Wikipedia has an interesting bit about it. Anyway, I hope the show is a success and maybe we see more of this sort of thing in the future.

Seth MacFarlane had met Druyan through Tyson at the 2008 kickoff event for the Science & Entertainment Exchange, a new Los Angeles office of the National Academy of Sciences, designed to connect Hollywood writers and directors with scientists.[10] A year later, at a 2009 lunch in New York City with Tyson, MacFarlane learned of their interest to re-create Cosmos. He was influenced by Cosmos as a child, believing that Cosmos served to "[bridge] the gap between the academic community and the general public."[10] At the time MacFarlane told Tyson, "I'm at a point in my career where I have some disposable income ... and I’d like to spend it on something worthwhile."[11] MacFarlane had considered the reduction of effort for space travel in recent decades to be part of "our culture of lethargy."[8] MacFarlane, who has several series on the Fox network, was able to bring Druyan to meet the heads of Fox programming, Peter Rice and Kevin Reilly, and helped secure the greenlighting of the show.[8] MacFarlane admits that he is "the least essential person in this equation" and the effort is a departure from work he's done before, but considers this to be "very comfortable territory for me personally."[8] He and Druyan have become close friends, and Druyan stated that she believed that Sagan and MacFarlane would have been "kindred spirits" with their respective "protean talents."[8] In June 2012, MacFarlane provided funding to allow about 800 boxes of Sagan's personal notes and correspondences to be donated to the Library of Congress.[10]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmos:_A_Space-Time_Odyssey

RaikuHebi

Banned
Great video! Still can't believe it was Seth MacFarlane who helped get this going. Seems so out of place because I'm so used to him in comedic roles. But Wikipedia has an interesting bit about it. Anyway, I hope the show is a success and maybe we see more of this sort of thing in the future.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmos:_A_Space-Time_Odyssey

It didn't seem that surprising to me considering he has referenced Cosmos is Family Guy before and his mouthpiece in the show (Brian) is definitely someone who would appreciate Cosmos :).

Insane Metal

Gold Member
So last night I discovered that my girlfriend has never seen the original Cosmos. She had "heard of" Carl Sagan but doesn't know anything about him really. She grew up in the 70's and 80's but apparently her church (and religious school) practically forbid them from watching it as "it's all wrong and incorrect information."

It's going to be interesting watching this new Cosmos alongside of her. Maybe I should count how many times she rolls her eyes, lol. We are going to try to watch at least a few of the original series before next Sunday. I haven't seen them in awhile and she wants to see what it was all about.

That sounds cool. :)

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I'd prefer Lawrence Krauss but Neil is great too.

I like Lawrence a lot and I watch youtube vids of him regularly, but he doesn't have the suave or appeal that Neil seems to have. Especially with the "mainstream" audience. For example, my mom has no idea who Lawrence is, but she know who Neil is. Same with many people I know.

Bill Nye would be the only truly adequate choice IMHO instead of Neil for the new Cosmos.

Either way it's a moot point now, six days to go!

Who is Lawrence Krauss

Spend an hour and watch his lecture on A Universe from Nothing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ImvlS8PLIo

One of the best science videos on youtube IMHO, something everyone should see at least once.

Schattenjäger;102978029 said:
Can't wait!!

Also can't believe its on fox lol

I came here to say that. There could be a situation where the Fox Network and Fox News are simultaneously reporting completely opposite information.

"Science is good and real."

vs

"My old book says science is mean and fake."

Kud Dukan

Some random impressions of the first episode from Twitter:

Jason Rhodes ‏@jason__rhodes 26s
Cosmos is amazing and beautiful. Watch it this Sunday. #cosmoslive

.@neiltyson Slow Clap. Excellent premiere episode of COSMOS. Thank you for teaching Neil. #COSMOSlive

The only negative thing I have to say about the new COSMOS is that I have to wait until Sunday to watch it again. #CosmosLive

So happy to have gotten to see the first episode of @neiltyson's #cosmoslive I'm in awe of what I saw. I need more episodes already!

#CosmosLive OMG you guys, the first episode of Cosmos w/ @neiltyson is so unbelievably EPIC! Tears rolling down my face as it ends #Cosmos

Melanie Carlson ‏@MelanieLCarlson 1m
First episode of Cosmos is amazing. Highly emphasizes the importance of the #scientificmethod and freedom of inquiry. #cosmoslive

It didn't seem that surprising to me considering he has referenced Cosmos is Family Guy before and his mouthpiece in the show (Brian) is definitely someone who would appreciate Cosmos :).

Eh well I've seen a few episodes but never one referencing Cosmos. Regardless awesome of him to do this.

Fireblend

Banned
That QA...Seth is a cool dude...have to say

"She and I fought in Korea together. She won" when asked about how he met Ann. Had me laughing
KuGsj.gif

I RSVP'd to an early screening tonight in Chicago, at the Adler Planetarium. When my older brother and I (he was my +1) arrived at the Adler, some nice lady in her car told us the place was booked way before the doors opened. I'm glad to see the love for Cosmos, but I wish the website would have stopped at the seat limit (260x2 for +1s) before I dragged my brother an hour and half away from work to see it.

Guess I'll watch on SUNDAY (not Friday) like everyone else, still super jazzed.

Any one on Fios set this to record on their DVR? We wanted to but the only one that shows up when we do a search for it says it's airing in Spanish. Maybe I just need to go to Fox and manually set it. Just weird that when I search I find it but it says it's broadcasting in Spanish.

I'm just old enough to remember watching the original on PBS in its first run, gonna be weird seeing this new, sexed-up take. I'm pretty excited though.

I don't really have anything to note although the heavy CG was a little unfortunate and it was a little too much spectacle. That being said it was really creative and has the capacity of sparking a lot of imaginations.

Sounds about what I expected. I'll abide overuse of big money CG if it gets people into it.

It was pretty awesome, I got in 1/2 way through the showing because the people in charge of the place were unorganized, lesser evolved primates (putting it nicely). They completely mishandled everything: parking, the queue in the door, ticket tiers, and properly informing people of capacity and how to get in. Seriously poor work. A lot of people got turned away at the door after waiting outside for 30+ minutes.

There is no one better to do this than NDGT. No argument. He was awesome.

I don't really have anything to note although the heavy CG was a little unfortunate and it was a little too much spectacle. That being said it was really creative and has the capacity of sparking a lot of imaginations.

Interested to see the rest.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
It was pretty awesome, I got in 1/2 way through the showing because the people in charge of the place were unorganized, lesser evolved primates (putting it nicely). They completely mishandled everything: parking, the queue in the door, ticket tiers, and properly informing people of capacity and how to get in. Seriously poor work. A lot of people got turned away at the door after waiting outside for 30+ minutes.

Sounds about what I expected... no problem at all for me.

HYPE!

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Thanks for the reminder for me to set it to my DVR. I thought I already did but I better double check.

Awesome, thanks for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom