• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could a future Xbox run Windows games?

Skyzard

Banned
Games on windows (os) automatically or manually recognised and integrated into a traditional Xbox user interface, maybe somewhat similar to a steam big picture mode.

Games you already have - plus the other benefits of having a machine running windows.

Is it possible for Microsoft to basically turn an Xbox into a stealth computer?
And would they need to sacrifice backwards compatibility for that?

Edit: About whether or not steam games would work, I'm guessing it's time to let go of that - they won't have an issue cutting steam out:

Microsoft is introducing a new version of Windows 10 today: Windows 10 S. It's essentially Microsoft's answer to Chrome OS, to simplify Windows for low-end hardware and in particular, the education market. ”Everything that runs on Windows 10 S is downloaded from the Windows Store," says Microsoft's Windows chief Terry Myerson. That doesn't mean that desktop apps won't run on this version of Windows 10, but they'll need to be specially packaged and listed in the Windows Store.

Thread

shiyrley

Banned
It's possible to do, as in, technically possible, but why would they ever want to stop receiving a cut for every game sold lol

Entirely possible. I imagine it won't be long until Microsoft just releases a Windows 10 PC that is branded as Xbox, with a controller-friendly front end and limited installation access (ie, Windows 10 apps only).

Its probably possible that Xbox and PC could run the exact same version of a game in the future but I dont see MS opening that up so you could bypass giving them money per game and installing steam or sideloading.

Wonko_C

Entirely possible. I imagine it won't be long until Microsoft just releases a Windows 10 PC that is branded as Xbox, with a controller-friendly front end and limited installation access (ie, Windows 10 apps only).

They could sell that as a premium product (I would go further though: A bonafide Windows 10 machine that also happens to play Xbox One games), yet still keep selling affordable Xbox consoles for those who just want console gaming.

Skyzard

Banned
It's possible to do, as in, technically possible, but why would they ever want to stop receiving a cut for every game sold lol

Their interface would be the default one that runs and it would be connected to their store.

Perhaps by automation which hides windows and just switches into Xbox mode with possible performance advantages of being in that mode.

Games could be added by shortcuts but don't have as much integration with the interface (without tinkering to add icons etc to the shortcuts).

shandy706

They could do it right now.

I keep thinking they're going to do it...in some form.

..but have sort of backed off that prediction.

shiyrley

Banned
That's why it would probably be Windows Store games, to keep the cut.
But that is inevitable and will obviously happen, in fact it's already happening just not for every game. That's not an interesting discussion.

I think he is talking about the Xbox One being able to run ANY game. And that' wouldn't make sense for MS
Their interface would be the default one that runs and it would be connected to their store.

Perhaps by automation which hides windows and just switches into Xbox mode with possible performance advantages of being in that mode.

Games could be added by shortcuts but don't have as much integration with the interface.
The problem remains, MS would be allowing people to buy *insert new AAA title here* at 25$ at cdkeys.com and running that on their Xbox One with custom settings etc instead of purchasing the game at 60$ on their closed ecosystem lol
EDIT:
What the fuck, this would even allow people to run pirated games on Xbox One. You pirate a PC game, run that on your Xbox, done. Do you realise how horrible this is for MS?

Sure but currently Microsoft tries to change PC into console like walled garden so it would be directly against their goals.

shiyrley

Banned
I think the fact that this would allow people to run pirated PC games on Xbox would immediately make this idea as crazy as, I dunno, Nintendo releasing BoTW on PS4

Skyzard

Banned
But that is inevitable and will obviously happen, in fact it's already happening just not for every game. That's not an interesting discussion.

I think he is talking about the Xbox One being able to run ANY game. And that' wouldn't make sense for MS

The problem remains, MS would be allowing people to buy *insert new AAA title here* at 25$ at cdkeys.com and running that on their Xbox One with custom settings etc instead of purchasing the game at 60$ on their closed ecosystem lol
EDIT:
What the fuck, this would even allow people to run pirated games on Xbox One. You pirate a PC game, run that on your Xbox, done. Do you realise how horrible this is for MS?

MS already does this with Windows. Consoles all eventually end up getting pirated, and this would allow them to also introduce a lot of people who don't to the pc market through their controlled interface and store (with ways to add other games as would be necessary). People that want to tinker or pirate do so regardless already.

shiyrley

Banned
MS already does this with Windows. Consoles all eventually end up getting pirated, and this would allow them to also introduce a lot of people to the pc market through their store. People that want to tinker and or pirate do so regardless.
wat
First of all, why are you comparing a PC operating system with a console? I won't even address this point because it doesn't make any kind of sense
Every console can be pirated, sure.
But when it's as easy as downloading a .exe and running it on your console because it allows it without limitations, I assure you piracy would be like 10000% higher than on Xbox 360. Seriously, how many people do you think pirated the 360 vs how much people do you think would run pirated games on Xbone if MS just let you run .exe files? lol

They are already allowing most UWP apps and games to run on Xbone, but it won't go much farther than that.

Skyzard

Banned
wat
First of all, why are you comparing a PC operating system with a console? I won't even address this point because it doesn't make any kind of sense
Every console can be pirated, sure.
But when it's as easy as downloading a .exe and running it on your console because it allows it without limitations, I assure you piracy would be like 10000% higher than on Xbox 360. Seriously, how many people do you think pirated the 360 vs how much people do you think would run pirated games on Xbone if MS just let you run .exe files? lol

Piracy would come with it's own risks as it does now.

Steam still does well.

Skyzard

Banned
Speaking of steambox that didn't turn out well as they didn't really have a brand name recognition in the living room.

Microsoft does with Xbox.

shiyrley

Banned
Piracy would come with it's own risks as it does now.

Steam still does well.
I refuse to believe you don't see the piracy problem that running .exe files on Xbox One would generate. It's literally impossible for you to don't see it. There's no way.

L.O.R.D

i heard they are working on new version of surface pro with a version of Windows 10 that's only run apps from windows store,and can't download any other app that's not on their store.

Skyzard

Banned
So it would be a PC but with an online free and less customisation?

I don't think it necessarily has to have either of those.

And not just a PC as they are now, no. The couch friendly xbox console interface aspect integrated into windows.

i heard they are working on new version of surface pro with a version of Windows 10 that's only run apps from windows store,and can't download any other app that's not on their store.

That would be the worst.

Though MS already know how important compatibility is to gamers.

Possibly a good reason to allow Xbox purchases work on PC now.

shiyrley

Banned
So this is another thread of
- This will happen!
- No, because of these reasons
- Ok, it will still happen tho!

I'm...leaving this thread.

rrs

doubtful, the most I'd see out of the console is something more like that win10 cloud version in the works that only runs UWP programs and whitelisted win32 stuff
didn't that already happen and sold like shit for the honor?

4Tran

If you think of Windows games that can be released on Xbox, that already happens, so it's a non-issue. If you're thinking of an Xbox that can play all Windows games, then you're just talking about a PC. The idea is also anathema to the very purpose of Xbox - to be a walled garden, so it's definitely not happening.

otakukidd

Considering how much the PC(prebuilt machine) market is dying and giving the user the ability to install steam(regular windows apps), they would make zero money off the thing. They could limit it to the windows store but that's kinda what it does right now.

Interfectum

I don't see what MS has to gain with a full-on Windows console. They'd get people through the door with the hardware purchase than a good majority could go right to Blizzard, Steam, etc and MS would lose out on all the digital revenue.

Skyzard

Banned
I don't see what MS has to gain with a full-on Windows console. They'd get people through the door with the hardware purchase than a good majority could go right to Blizzard, Steam, etc and MS would lose out on all the digital revenue.

They would sell the hardware. All the upgrades. Have people using windows use their store by default (with lots of possibilities for better integration with games brought through their store). The people using windows os would increase. And with the possible compatibility with their other devices through streaming etc, it could have knock-on growth for their other products.

So this is another thread of
- This will happen!
- No, because of these reasons
- Ok, it will still happen tho!

I'm...leaving this thread.

I gave you my thoughts on that and you ignored them and thought ok piracy will still happen tho!

I don't think it's enough to put microsoft off doing this because of what I've said above. I'm leaving it for others to chime in on.

shira

Games on windows (os) automatically or manually recognised and integrated into a traditional Xbox user interface, maybe somewhat similar to a steam big picture mode.

Games you already have - plus the other benefits of having a machine running windows.

Is it possible for Microsoft to basically turn an Xbox into a stealth computer?
And would they need to sacrifice backwards compatibility for that?

You bet your ass this is what they want.

Going to college get a Scorpio pre-installed with Free MS-Office and it plays teh games in 4K

Skyzard

Banned
So like big picture mode?

Similar to but not quite.

My thoughts:

Games could be added by shortcuts but don't have as much integration with the interface (without tinkering to add icons etc to the shortcuts).

That could end up digging into steam's base.

ShdwDrake

Banned
Wait why wouldn't Microsoft just make a PC? What would be the point of Xbox? If they ever make an HTPC it wont be an Xbox.

ShdwDrake

Banned
Similar to but not quite.

My thoughts:

That could end up digging into steam's base.

Xbox already runs on windows tho this makes no sense. You mean it will have to change OS to the Xbox version? Why? That makes no sense why wouldn't they just use one version of the OS?

ghostjoke

Banned
Didn't you make this thread a week or two ago?

Considering they don't want an emulator on their store, I highly doubt they'd want a complete Windows environment and everything it comes with making headlines on their own hardware, at least not without some serious limitations.

Skyzard

Banned
Xbox already runs on windows tho this makes no sense. You mean it will have to change OS to the Xbox version? Why? That makes no sense why wouldn't they just use one version of the OS?

It runs windows but they design a gamer mode interface like xbox. It might even boot straight to that.

Didn't you make this thread a week or two ago?

Considering they don't want an emulator on their store, I highly doubt they'd want a complete Windows environment and everything it comes with making headlines on their own hardware, at least not without some serious limitations.

Emulation is legal and they won't be selling it on their store. People can add shortcuts, like people can add pirated games to the steam interface through shortcuts.

Read above about the previous thread.

Top Bottom