• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could a future Xbox run Windows games?

Dub117

Microsoft is kinda already doing that with their tittles, so yeah.
image.php

Kayant

As already pointed out this isn't too different from your last thread many of the same answers apply.

Sure they can but there is zero incentive to do so when they are pushing Windows store atm.

Skyzard

Banned
As already pointed out this isn't too different from your last thread many of the same answers apply.

Sure they can but there is zero incentive to do so when they are pushing Windows store atm.

Their windows store is far behind Steam and their Xbox far behind Sony. That's a big incentive as would the possible growth of their other hardware lines as a result.

Many of the answers were supportive of the idea too. It got heated because I essentially said it would be very difficult to compete against in the title.

What's with all the thread policing?

ghostjoke

Banned
Emulation is legal and they won't be selling it on their store. People can add shortcuts, like people can add pirated games to the steam interface through shortcuts.

Read above about the previous thread.

I'm not sure why you think this thread is going to go any better. The premise is just a question instead of a statement. The less zealousness approach might help though.

It's not an issue of legality so much as Microsoft don't want to have any headlines floating about of "How to play Nintendo games on your XB1". I have no issue, but I can see why they want to avoid that entire hurdle with a blanket no-no.

Microsoft aren't Valve and there is a difference between using the likes of ICE to make a collection of ROM run through Steam as if they're native and having a company's hardware be capable of playing the competition's software, even if it needs a middleman. It's all about how it'll be perceived and reported. The expectation of what can happen on a PC and what can happen on a console are very different. Not saying this is right or that I wouldn't like a more featured XB1, but there are certain realities that Microsoft don't seem to want to blend, at least not yet going by their current direction for Windows and XBox cross-platform services.

And as others have pointed out, this would unleash Steam into the living room in a way that Valve could only dream of.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Not sure why it would need to. The idea behind the new APIs are that you need to do little to get Xbox games working on PC and vice versa.

Skyzard

Banned
^ the entire PC library + the other benefits of pc, which will be endless opportunities for marketing

Piracy isn't the reason they wouldn't do it. Steam would be.

This is pretty much their best shot at competing with Steam and I'm not sure how Sony would compete tbh, unless MS couldn't get the price down to a reasonable amount.

ivan.k

Only if games will be converted to UWP. But even if they add desktop functionality to Xbox - what is the point?

Microsoft still distributes win32 Office, they don't plan a UWP version. So you'll get a PC that can't even run the most basic apps.

Skyzard

Banned
Only if games will be converted to UWP. But even if they add desktop functionality to Xbox - what is the point?

Microsoft still distributes win32 Office, they don't plan a UWP version. So you'll get a PC that can't even run the most basic apps.

Why would they have to be UWP?

It would run the latest games.

Skyzard

Banned
Because majority of people drop Xbox Live and switch to Steam where games are cheaper. If they allow win32 app then it means only one thing - they are not in control anymore.

They're in control of the hardware (and it's upgrades) and how it loads up the software interface (and which by default, and by faster loading to an xbox live only mode).

In control of how that interface shows details about the games installed - those bought through their store being fully integrated, and shortcuts to games bought elsewhere less so.

Kayant

Their windows store is far behind Steam and their Xbox far behind Sony. That's a big incentive as would the possible growth of their other hardware lines as a result.

Many of the answers were supportive of the idea too. It got heated because I essentially said it would be very difficult to compete against in the title.

What's with all the thread policing?
If that is the case why haven't they made any moves to signal this? I mean you only have to look at Windows mobile and see when I company is pushing sometimes potential benefits from other things don't matter. There is a reason they continue to push Windows Store despite it's unpopularity.

I just feel this thread is redundant.

Skyzard

Banned
If that is the case why haven't they made any moves to signal this? I mean you only have to look at Windows mobile and see when I company is pushing sometimes potential benefits from other things don't matter. There is a reason they continue to push Windows Store despite it's unpopularity.

I just feel this thread is redundant.

They just announced Xbox purchased games will be free on PC.

And they're working on gaming mode for PC for performance boosts.

Windows mobile doesn't have much over the competition.
An xbox with a PC library of games, among other windows functionality has a great deal over the competition.

Your post is redundant.

ShdwDrake

Banned

An xbox with a PC library of games, among other windows functionality has a great deal over the competition.

Your post is redundant.

That's just a PC so you just want a "Surface Box".

ghostjoke

Banned

Your post is redundant.

This only works to push the hardware, something I believe only make a tiny profit for Microsoft per sale. Letting loose the PC library could hurt console sales in so many ways. Some ideas off the top of my head:

1) It adds competition to XB1 software sales that Microsoft won't get any cut from, especially with how sales come quicker and steeper on PC. You think Valve/EA/Ubi/GOG is going to give MS a cut of any sales sold through a XB1-Windows environment?

2) Remasters from previous gens become less valuable as PC doesn't deal in generations. Scorpio would work in the PC's favour here (more on this in point 4).

3) Money can go a long way further on PC than it can on consoles and the sheer size of the (quality) PC library and variety dwarfs anything the XB1 could do. Add in how Valve is trying to ease discovery on Steam and that's a major risk of driving money away from you.

4) With what Scorpio is being touted to be power-wise, every XB1 game would need to be patched with better graphics and performance, otherwise a Windows run game would likely outdo it. It's not guaranteed, but if Microsoft did introduce a Windows mode, I'd imagine they'd want it performing well and this would only benefit the PC side for older games that haven't been patched or simply people wanting higher performance over graphics.

There's are doubtlessly more, especially when you get into emulation and piracy, but those four alone seem to me to be nothing but potential cuts from Microsoft's pie. They would need to be dominate in the PC marketplace (lol) before they dared to bring PC to the console for the average consumer. I don't see how adding the Windows software library without major limitations would benefit them when you get down to overall profits. At which point, the topic of conversation becomes moot. Again, it would be awesome as a consumer, but potentially disastrous for Microsoft, especially with how it would be expected for all future instalments. If they took the gamble and it didn't pay off, there would be hell to pay with any option they chose to "correct" it.

ShdwDrake

Banned
First you say the xbox already does this, now you say a PC is already an xbox.

Neither are the combination of the two, as has been explained many times, even in reply specifically to you.

If you want an "XBox" that runs "XBox and Windows games" your are asking Microsoft to make an HTPC and publish their Xbox games on it (which is what they do).

Your saying you want the Xbox part and the PC part to be one and same. And what I am saying is that it doesn't make any sense for microsoft to do so. They have them separate for a reason. Many of which have been explained.

Maybe I don't get it but thats what it sounds like. But what your saying mostly makes no sense to me. Like Microsoft wouldn't make a system that runs on 2 operating systems its not user friendly so they would have a system that is just windows but runs xbox games which defeats the point of Xbox.

Skyzard

Banned
This only works to push the hardware, something I believe only make a tiny profit for Microsoft per sale. Letting loose the PC library could hurt console sales in so many ways. Some ideas off the top of my head:

1) It adds competition to XB1 software sales that Microsoft won't get any cut from, especially with how sales come quicker and steeper on PC. You think Valve/EA/Ubi/GOG is going to give MS a cut of any sales sold through a XB1-Windows environment?

2) Remasters from previous gens become less valuable as PC doesn't deal in generations. Scorpio would work in the PC's favour here (more on this in point 4).

3) Money can go a long way further on PC than it can on consoles and the sheer size of the (quality) PC library and variety dwarfs anything the XB1 could do. Add in how Valve is trying to ease discovery on Steam and that's a major risk of driving money away from you.

4) With what Scorpio is being touted to be power-wise, every XB1 game would need to be patched with better graphics and performance, otherwise a Windows run game would likely outdo it. It's not guaranteed, but if Microsoft did introduce a Windows mode, I'd imagine they'd want it performing well and this would only benefit the PC side for older games that haven't been patched or simply people wanting higher performance over graphics.

There's are doubtlessly more, especially when you get into emulation and piracy, but those four alone seem to me to be nothing but potential cuts from Microsoft's pie. They would need to be dominate in the PC marketplace (lol) before they dared to bring PC to the console for the average consumer. I don't see how adding the Windows software library without major limitations would benefit them when you get down to overall profits. At which point, the topic of conversation becomes moot. Again, it would be awesome as a consumer, but potentially disastrous for Microsoft, especially with how it would be expected for all future instalments. If they took the gamble and it didn't pay off, there would be hell to pay with any option they chose to "correct" it.

1 - that requires people to use a different store, which wouldn't be integrated in xbox mode. The game exes should be (through shortcuts). You can use it with steam's big-picture mode but that's not the same as what I'm talking about which is kind of like a dual boot, one of which goes into xbox mode, the other windows. If you want to run other windows software and use it as a PC you can. A lot will want to do both, with many just sticking to what's there by default.
And if the xbox mode is good, it could pull traditional pc users away from steam with the convenience/possible performance gains. Especially if the store is decent (which they need to work on to get it to be like steam - or buy steam).

2 - that's a good thing, and they wouldn't need those titles to fill out gaps, also a small price to pay to get a cut on every other game and use of their os/other hardware to go up and control hardware sales. Even more so if they can provide a good couch interface for windows that communicates to other (possibly microsoft) devices - not just gaming, but that too - ie streaming pc games to other ms devices.

3 - another good thing - it provides a lot of value. They'd also be in-charge of selling hardware upgrades to the xbox, which many users like to do with pc (and consoles eg ps4pro)

4 - I don't imagine this would happen alongside the scorpio but sometime after it

Piracy doesn't seem to matter much to Steam and all the publishers releasing on PC, who are doing just fine.

They also wouldn't be selling emulators through their store.

ShdwDrake

Banned
1 - that requires people to use a different store, which wouldn't be integrated in xbox mode. The game exes should be (through shortcuts). You can use it with steam's big-picture mode but that's not the same as what I'm talking about which is kind of like a dual boot, one of which goes into xbox mode, the other windows. If you want to run other windows software and use it as a PC you can. A lot will want to do both, with many just sticking to what's there by default.
And if the xbox mode is good, it could pull traditional pc users away from steam with the convenience/possible performance gains. Especially if the store is decent (which they need to work on to get it to be like steam - or buy steam).

2 - that's a good thing, and they wouldn't need those titles to fill out gaps, also a small price to pay to get a cut on every other game and use of their os/other hardware to go up and control hardware sales. Even more so if they can provide a good couch interface for windows that communicates to other (possibly microsoft) devices - not just gaming, but that too - ie streaming pc games to other ms devices.

3 - another good thing - it provides a lot of value. They'd also be in-charge of selling hardware upgrades to the xbox, which many users like to do with pc (and consoles eg ps4pro)

4 - I don't imagine this would happen alongside the scorpio but sometime after it

Piracy doesn't seem to matter much to Steam and all the publishers releasing on PC, who are doing just fine.

Ohh you want an Xbox that super expensive.

12Dannu123

Eventually Xbox and Windows 10 will merge, and will run the same files, BUT it'll only be sold from the Windows Store and will require UWP, Win32 won't work on Xbox as it doesn't now.

If they wanted to add Steam, they would require Valve to use the UWP format and also hand over control over to MS so that they can it on their Store, while also taking a smaller cut.

KAOS

I've said it before but one of the things I love about the xbox app on pc is how I have access to my pc games as well as my xbox games. If the Scorpio gives me the same access and lets me store and play the games on my xbox's internal or external drive that would be spectacular. Don't know if that means that games have to be drm free or what ever but that option will make the Scorpio very desirable!

Scrawnton

I would buy an Xbox that also lets me buy steam games in a heart beat. It would be the ultimate system and I really think Microsoft should do it. It's simply just a windows pc with permenant big picture mode that hides its pc nature.

Skyzard

Banned
Ohh you want an Xbox that super expensive.

Price is always a concern but I'm not sure why you think it would be too expensive?

They own Windows, and will be able to strike deals with hardware manufacturers as they do now with consoles.

You can buy a good pc now for not that much and they can offer different levels like Apple does with better hardware. Ideally with ways to upgrade too.

Eventually Xbox and Windows 10 will merge, and will run the same files, BUT it'll only be sold from the Windows Store and will require UWP, Win32 won't work on Xbox as it doesn't now.

If they wanted to add Steam, they would require Valve to use the UWP format and also hand over control over to MS so that they can it on their Store, while also taking a smaller cut.

This could happen but I think it's too greedy and rash and not the only way to go about it, as described previously here.

ghostjoke

Banned

You seem to just be describing what Microsoft are attempting to do with the Windows Store, except you're making it way more complicated with ideas of dual booting and imposing limitations on win32 that would more than likely be broken apart quickly after launch unless they seriously switched up how Windows works, at which point it might as well be Windows 10 - Console Edition. I'm not seeing how your idea would work better for Microsoft than what they are currently trying, except to turn the XB1 into a HTPC(?):

Once more (and please correct me, but I'm not seeing any claims to the contrary): The XB1 either nets a tiny profit or is running at a loss per unit sold. It needs software where Microsoft takes as much of a cut as possible, i.e. XB1/Store games. There's no point beating Sony in the hardware market if they can't squeeze software sales out of it too. It's not like the XB1 is a rare thing, it just lacks the more constant library that PS4 pushes out.

The piracy thing is not my personal belief but a thing that has to be accounted for when you consider how deadly afraid publishers are of it. I'm sure many an eyebrow would be raised if there was suddenly another environment next the the XB1 OS.

This all seems like it would be a lot less complicated if they just released an XB1 OS instead of creating the mack-a-mole of issues that you're putting forward (if they really wanted a dual boot option).

And just to be clear, this isn't me against the idea of Windows 10 option, just that I see no reason that Microsoft would do it as a company when they are clearly working on something similar in which they have far more control of.

Skyzard

Banned
Windows Xbox upgrade is what I'm describing.

The reason it needs a heavily integrated Xbox mode is because of steam, and for more familiarity to Xbox users and a way to get their Store to be used by default and could pull people from steam if they provide a good enough experience.

Having people use windows is always a benefit. Getting a cut of the hardware and software in both the pc and console markets is too.

opricnik

Banned
No because most pc designed games are for keyboard mouse and monitor UI(texts , more icons etc)

So no

Not all pc games

Skyzard

Banned
Not all games (who said all pc games? :S) would work (without a keyboard and mouse setup for the Xbox or a specialised controller), but a hella of a lot would. And I imagine even more newly released ones would focus on having a good controller interface than they are now.

opricnik

Banned
Not all games (who said all pc games? :S) would work (without a keyboard and mouse setup for the Xbox or a specialised controller), but a hella of a lot would. And I imagine even more newly released ones would focus on having a good controller interface than they are now.

PC designed games wouldnt work , other games already releasing on xbox

This is pretty much their best shot at competing with Steam and I'm not sure how Sony would compete tbh, unless MS couldn't get the price down to a reasonable amount.

How exactly? Considering their crappy store can't even download a game without fucking up multiple times in a row causing you to massacre your bandwidth, How will they compete with Steam? Let alone Sony even Nintendo for that matter?

Their store front isn't designed for anything over a gb. That's before we even get into trying to get ALL devs to port all their old games to UWP and give MS a cut because reasons?

Skyzard

Banned
How exactly? Considering their crappy store can't even download a game without fucking up multiple times in a row causing you to massacre your bandwidth, How will they compete with Steam? Let alone Sony even Nintendo for that matter?

Their store front isn't designed for anything over a gb.

Fix the bug, do everything else mentioned in the thread.

They'd be introducing their pc store to the living room.

Fix the bug, do everything else mentioned in the thread.

They'd be introducing their pc store to the living room.

It's been a year at least. It's beyond fix the bug. The store is fundamentally incapable. Their store is already in the living room on every Windows device and they clearly don't give a crap.

Interfectum

I think this would lead to a lot of confusion, tbh.

Say someone bought a new Xbox and wanted to play Overwatch. Well they wouldn't want the "PC" version of Overwatch because you'd be going up against m/kb players so you'd have to make sure you bought the "Xbox" version. This same issue would plague virtually every multiplayer first person game. And this is but one example of where users could get confused/run into issues/etc.

The idea of a video game console is you plug it in and it just works. No worries about getting the right version, downloading the right game client, etc.

Skyzard

Banned
It's been a year at least. It's beyond fix the bug. The store is fundamentally incapable. Their store is already in the living room on every Windows device and they clearly don't give a crap.

They'd give a crap if they were doing this. They have years to do it and are already working to merge xbox and pc games. Making them free if you buy on xbox. While also improving gaming on windows.

They know how to make a good store - see the xbox. This is about adding an xbox environment to PC that will be similar to previous consoles, not just using what they have on pc already.

I think this would lead to a lot of confusion, tbh.

Say someone bought a new Xbox and wanted to play Overwatch. Well they wouldn't want the "PC" version of Overwatch because you'd be going up against m/kb players so you'd have to make sure you bought the "Xbox" version. This same issue would plague virtually every multiplayer first person game. And this is but one example of where users could get confused/run into issues/etc.

The idea of a video game console is you plug it in and it just works. No worries about getting the right version, downloading the right game client, etc.

Buying games through their store wouldn't be confusing. It would be like it is on consoles.

About the controller inputs and multiplayer fairness - this is a good point. And it's something I wish more companies thought about on PC already - like GTA. If you are using a controller, you should be matched with others using a controller.

Sometimes I felt like I wanted to chill and play overwatch with a pad on pc but remembered I'd just get stomped.

They could have it lock kb+m when in pad mode while playing competitively.

I think more games should do that, and they would if MS went this route.

They'd give a crap if they were doing this. They have years to do it and are already working to merge xbox and pc games. Making them free if you buy on xbox. While also improving gaming on windows.

They know how to make a good store - see the xbox. This is about adding an xbox environment to PC that will be similar to previous consoles, not just using what they have on pc already.

You have to be kidding yourself if you think store functionality for Xbox is priority over store functionality for Windows. How do they make them free though as well? What developer will retroactively sign away money?

Skyzard

Banned
You have to be kidding yourself if you think store functionality for Xbox is priority over store functionality for Windows. How do they make them free though as well? What developer will retroactively sign away money?

Make what free? Third-party games purchased through xbox but also on PC?

They can't. It's why I asked if they would have to lose backwards compatibility like this.

I know they're making their own games free on windows if you've purchased them on xbox. I'm not sure if they could also run previous xbox games on PC with MS making it.

They'd have a big incentive to make it happen and have those games available for purchase on PC.

Pasedo

This is essentially what I've been predicting with Xbox Scorpio. Its going to be the start of their foray to tap into both the console and the PC market. I believe seeing their success with the Surface Pro has given them the confidence to go further with their hardware business. PC gaming is a very big market and taking a bigger share of the overall PC market. It makes sense for MS to leverage both Xbox and Windows to address a wider audience from a traditional console business. It won't be running a regular PC version of Windows but a variant and as others have already said using the Windows Store. This is a better way to quality control experience. One thing people like about console gaming is that its plug and play and games are better optimised. They would want to keep this benefit as a USP against a regular gaming PC running regular Windows 10 such as Alienware. I work in the industry and I get this sense old Phil is up to something.

Entirely possible. I imagine it won't be long until Microsoft just releases a Windows 10 PC that is branded as Xbox, with a controller-friendly front end and limited installation access (ie, Windows 10 apps only).

They tried this with Windows RT, it don't go down well with customers.

ron-swanson-computer-throw-out-parks-and-rec.gif

Skyzard

Banned
If it ends up handicapped to lock out any other games from other stores or websites even just as shortcuts through their interface then it's going to have a lot less pull to start with imo.

If they can emulate every xbox game going way back on the PC and have them for sale that would be a good start.

KonradLaw

No. Not all at least. At most they might expand on Microsoft Markerplace crossbuys/crossplays. But everything else? Nope.
Because Microsoft doesn't get a dime from PC games sold outside their own store. So if Xbox would run all PC games then publishers would be able to completely bypass having to pay Microsoft and just release their Xbox games as PC titles with specifically designed settings for console

Make what free? Third-party games purchased through xbox but also on PC?

They can't. It's why I asked if they would have to lose backwards compatibility like this.

I know they're making their own games free on windows if you've purchased them on xbox. I'm not sure if they could also run previous xbox games on PC with MS making it.

They'd have a big incentive to make it happen and have those games available for purchase on PC.

But they wouldn't get any of the past library. It needs to be UWP and devs aren't going to go back and port all their games out in a new fortmat that also gives MS a piece of the pie that they wouldn't have got otherwise. It's a logistical nightmare.

Skyzard

Banned
^it doesn't need to be uwp, it's been mentioned before

No. Not all at least. At most they might expand on Microsoft Markerplace crossbuys/crossplays. But everything else? Nope.
Because Microsoft doesn't get a dime from PC games sold outside their own store. So if Xbox would run all PC games then publishers would be able to completely bypass having to pay Microsoft and just release their Xbox games as PC titles with specifically designed settings for console

They could do this now but don't have the visibility like with steam. Window's own store would have the most visibility when they design the system's os to take you right to it and be the hub for the system as an xbox.

Preventing other titles from even working through shortcuts (for customers who want to fiddle) would make it a lot less exciting of a product.

They should make their store the best one by choice, not by twisting your arm. They have an opportunity to do that here.

I have long argued that this would be Microsoft's killer app and a way to gain significant ground in territories where the Xbox brand is very weak.

Skyzard

Banned
So it seems they aren't afraid of having a Windows store only machine. [OP updated]

Microsoft is introducing a new version of Windows 10 today: Windows 10 S. It's essentially Microsoft's answer to Chrome OS, to simplify Windows for low-end hardware and in particular, the education market. ”Everything that runs on Windows 10 S is downloaded from the Windows Store," says Microsoft's Windows chief Terry Myerson. That doesn't mean that desktop apps won't run on this version of Windows 10, but they'll need to be specially packaged and listed in the Windows Store.

Doesn't seem like great news for a future xbox running windows with access to steam games etc.

Makes me a lot less interested with a large steam library on pc already but there would still be a whole lot of games that could be sold on their store to a console market.

--Also, about a possible special fast booting with this system:

Microsoft has also tweaked how the login process works on Windows 10 S. Windows 10 S will take around 15 seconds to be ready for a student to log in and use for the first time, a faster process than what's currently available on Windows 10 Pro, says Microsoft.

Though it's pretty damn fast anyway with an SSD but console owners still expect an ever faster bootup.

Crayon

So it seems they aren't afraid of having a Windows store only machine. [OP updated]

Doesn't seem like great news for a future xbox running windows with access to steam games etc.

Makes me a lot less interested with a large steam library on pc already but there would still be a whole lot of games that could be sold on their store to a console market.

--Also, about a possible special fast booting with this system:

They'll be trying to make PC more like Xbox. Not the other way around.

Top Bottom