• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could AI do a better job at writing/creating a story than humans ?

samoilaaa

All kinds of AI programs are being used today to create all kinds of documents , essays

It wont be long until AI will be used in movies and games to write the story of a game , could AI do a better job than a human ? or would the story be too dull ?

You can see how dull is the AI voice acting , it just cant sound with the same emotion as a human

SeraphJan

That is the limitation of AI. It doesn't have imagination.
It can write better story, but it's all meaningless without imagination.
Yes, many people confuse story with plot, plot is a simple summary of story, however story also involve: Storyboarding, Cameras, Visual Language, Audio Language, Narratives, Scene etc. I doubt AI could combine all these element seamlessly

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Half the shit in the entertainment industry already feels like it's written by an AI.
POaBvWy.png

Robb

Gold Member
I don’t think so, but I think it’ll be able to write something that’s pretty great that can be fine-tuned by a human to become amazing. That’s where I see AI being the most beneficial.

Hopefully it can make a lot of what we do today more efficient and way less time consuming with the same results.

Last edited:

BootsLoader

Banned
No and will never be able to do.
AI is programming by humans. Also AI is missing feelings which human has, brain human is bottomless. Humans can draw inspiration out of everything, even dreams.
Last but not least, humans can drink alcohol and do drugs which also inspire them. 😂

So no, AI can’t do shit.

bbeach123

I wouldnt even suprise if the later half of the walking death tv show writen by AI . Tbh most tv show nowaday feel like this , been there done that .

feynoob

This is Skyrim like story by chatgpt.

Certainly! Here's an expanded version of the story:

Chapter 1: The Disappearance

Eirikr had always lived a peaceful life in Riverwood, a small village nestled in the heart of Skyrim. He spent his days hunting game in the nearby forests and honing his skills in combat, dreaming of one day becoming a great warrior like his father.

But Eirikr's peaceful life was shattered when his family disappeared without a trace. His parents, two older brothers, and younger sister had all vanished overnight, leaving no clues as to their whereabouts.

Eirikr searched the village, the nearby forests, and even the neighboring towns, but he found no sign of his family. As days turned into weeks and weeks turned into months, Eirikr grew increasingly desperate, his heart heavy with grief and worry.

One night, as Eirikr sat alone by the fireplace in his family's cabin, he heard a strange noise outside. He grabbed his bow and cautiously peered out the window, but saw nothing. Just as he was about to turn back, he heard the noise again, louder this time.

Eirikr crept outside, bow at the ready, and saw a group of dark-robed figures standing in the shadows. They turned to face him, and Eirikr saw their eyes glowing with an eerie green light. Before he could react, they attacked.

Eirikr fought bravely, but he was outnumbered and outmatched. He was knocked unconscious and woke up hours later, his hands bound and his head throbbing with pain.

Chapter 2: The Journey Begins

When Eirikr opened his eyes, he found himself in a dark, damp cell. He tried to move, but his hands and feet were shackled to the walls. He could hear faint whispers and cackles coming from nearby cells, and he realized that he was not alone.

For weeks, Eirikr was held captive by the mysterious figures, enduring torture and interrogation in an attempt to learn the whereabouts of his family. But Eirikr refused to talk, and the figures grew frustrated.

One night, when Eirikr was left alone in his cell, he managed to slip out of his shackles and escape. He stumbled out into the open air, weak and disoriented, and found himself in a dark forest.

Eirikr had no idea where he was or how he would survive, but he knew that he had to keep moving. He wandered through the forest for days, hunting game and drinking from streams to stay alive.

As he traveled, Eirikr began to hear rumors of a powerful wizard who lived in a tower on the edge of the forest. The wizard was said to possess immense magical powers and was feared by all who knew him.

Eirikr decided to seek out the wizard, hoping that he could help him find his family. He traveled through the forest, dodging bandits and wolves, until he finally reached the wizard's tower.

Chapter 3: The Wizard's Tower

The wizard's tower was a massive, looming structure that rose high into the sky. Eirikr approached the tower cautiously, wary of the wizard's power.

He climbed the winding stairway to the top of the tower, his heart pounding with fear and anticipation. When he reached the top, he saw the wizard standing at the edge of the tower, gazing out over the forest.

The wizard turned to face Eirikr and studied him for a moment, his eyes glinting with a strange light. Eirikr could sense the wizard's power, and he felt a chill run down his spine.

"What do you want?" the wizard asked.

"I'm looking for my family,"

2nd part
Chapter 4: The Wizard's Test

The wizard regarded Eirikr with a stern expression. "And what makes you think I can help you find them?" he asked.

Eirikr hesitated for a moment, unsure of what to say. "I've heard that you possess great powers," he replied finally. "I thought that maybe you could use them to help me."

The wizard chuckled. "You are not the first person to seek my aid," he said. "But I do not help just anyone who asks. You must prove yourself first."

Eirikr felt a sinking feeling in his stomach. He had come so far, and now it seemed that he would have to face even more challenges.

"What kind of test?" he asked.

The wizard smiled. "A simple one," he said. "You must retrieve a powerful artifact for me. It is hidden in a cave deep in the mountains to the north. Bring it back to me, and I will consider helping you."

Eirikr knew that he had no choice but to accept the wizard's challenge. He set out for the mountains, his heart heavy with dread.

Chapter 5: The Mountain Cave

The mountain cave was a treacherous place, filled with dangers at every turn. Eirikr battled fierce trolls and giant spiders, narrowly avoiding death at every step.

But he was determined to succeed. He pressed on, deeper and deeper into the cave, until he finally found the artifact that the wizard had requested.

It was a strange, glowing orb, pulsing with an otherworldly energy. Eirikr felt a sense of unease as he gazed upon it, but he knew that he had to bring it back to the wizard.

He made his way back to the tower, his hands shaking with exhaustion and fear. When he presented the artifact to the wizard, the wizard smiled.

"You have done well," he said. "And I will honor my promise. I will help you find your family."

Chapter 6: The Final Battle

The wizard led Eirikr to a hidden chamber deep within the tower. There, he showed Eirikr a strange device, pulsing with a green light.

"This is a scrying stone," the wizard said. "It will allow you to see what has happened to your family."

Eirikr approached the stone, his heart pounding with anticipation. He placed his hands on the surface of the stone, and the world around him vanished.

He saw his family, held captive in a dark, damp dungeon. The same figures that had captured him were tormenting his loved ones, demanding information that they did not have.

Eirikr knew that he had to act quickly. He gathered his strength and set out for the dungeon, determined to rescue his family and put an end to the evil that had taken them.

When he reached the dungeon, he found it heavily guarded. He fought bravely, battling his way through wave after wave of enemies, until he finally reached his family's cell.

He burst in, his sword flashing in the dim light. He fought fiercely, defending his family with all his might.

Finally, after what seemed like hours, the last of the enemy fell. Eirikr rushed to his family's side, embracing them tightly.

"We're safe now," he said. "We're together again."

And with that, Eirikr's long journey came to an end. He had faced danger and despair, but he had emerged victorious, with his family by his side.

feynoob

The process for that story is being expanded from this settings that I stated to him.

As an AI language model, I can certainly generate a story similar to Skyrim, a popular open-world action role-playing video game. However, please note that any story I generate will be entirely fictional and not an official part of the game's canon. Here is a possible story:

In the world of Skyrim, a young warrior named Eirikr set out on a perilous journey to uncover the truth behind the mysterious disappearance of his family. Eirikr was born and raised in the small village of Riverwood, but his life was forever changed when his parents and siblings vanished without a trace.

Driven by a burning desire to uncover the truth, Eirikr set out on a quest that took him across the vast and rugged landscapes of Skyrim. He traveled to the bustling cities of Whiterun, Solitude, and Windhelm, where he honed his skills in combat and magic, and befriended many powerful allies and dangerous enemies along the way.

Throughout his journey, Eirikr faced many challenges and trials, including battles against vicious dragons, treacherous bandits, and dark magic wielders. He also discovered long-lost ruins and ancient artifacts, which held the key to unraveling the mystery of his family's disappearance.

As Eirikr's quest drew to a close, he finally uncovered the shocking truth behind his family's fate. He learned that they had been taken captive by a powerful necromancer, who had enslaved them in his twisted quest for immortality. With the help of his allies, Eirikr stormed the necromancer's lair, vanquished his minions, and rescued his family.

In the end, Eirikr emerged as a true hero of Skyrim, revered by all who knew him for his bravery, strength, and unwavering determination. He had overcome seemingly insurmountable obstacles and achieved the impossible, proving that even in the darkest of times, hope and courage could triumph over evil.

Last edited:

feynoob

You can play with chatgpt, by giving him commands like "can you please expand on that idea", "what happens after that", "is there away to make it more interesting".

Quote like that can make chatgpt provide you with more info. I tried this by asking him how to code a game code.

Dreamin

No, no, no, no.

AI is limited to what humans set them to be. They don't have creativity and ideas. They are logical programs.

Humans can make up a messed up origins out of nothing.
Subconscious and AI are very similar to me. Neither of them make something out of nothing, it's all based on something. The mixing of symbols and their relationships. As things stand the subconscious is more impressive but that's kinda just better hardware. If you were to train something with more processing power and more input than what a single human may experience in their lifetime then you'd get some incredible art... Especially with Ai you aren't bogged down with having to handle day to day crap, you can just go full art mode and connect pretty much every mental or physical object that exists in infinite ways.

To go against what I've said though... This reality is probably just a dream made by an infinite intelligence that's never not existed anyway and brains are just imagined :p. So the machines out there can't beat the mind that's already without limitation, imagining their existance. Machines within machiiiiines.

Last edited:

feynoob

Subconscious and AI are very similar to me. Neither of them make something out of nothing, it's all based on something. The mixing of symbols and their relationships. As things stand the subconscious is more impressive but that's kinda just better hardware. If you were to train something with more processing power and more input than what a single human may experience in their lifetime then you'd get some incredible art... Especially with Ai you aren't bogged down with having to handle day to day crap, you can just go full art mode and connect pretty much every mental or physical object that exists in infinite ways.
The thing is that humans have brain. That brain is not being utilized to it's full capabilities.
Then there is curiosity function that humans have. The idea of seeking answers from unexpected places can give you answers that you weren't expecting it.

Then there is the last important tool. Unexpected chances. Newtons apple, magnifier glass which was dropped to the ground, and led to discovering microscope creature's.

These are the tools that we have, that the AI doesn't have.

Fbh

Than the very best human writers when given complete creative freedom? Not yet, maybe some day but we aren't there yet.

But something better than the average blockbuster movie/game? Absolutely, it's probably as good as them already.
A lot of high budget stuff basically feels like it's written by an "analogue AI" already in a way. It all follows a pre established formula, the same trends and tropes with characters specifically designed to include whichever traits and features that market research has shown will appeal to most consumers. There's no reason you can't input all the desired data into an AI and have it come up with new stories (probably much faster than human writers too)

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Banned
ML only works if it's already been written so technically, no.

Will it write better than most modern writers with their agendas from their Phil 101 professor brainwashing... yes

T4keD0wN

An average story written by AI will be better than an average story written by a human.
Will AI be able to rival new stories written by even the best authors? Likely not, but its possible as AI can be trained on stuff written by humans, therefore the ability to imitate even the best authors is in the cards.

I dont expect to see many stories written purely by AI, theyll likely almost always have some sort editing done by a human.

(this definitely wasnt written by chatGPT)

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Nope.

It can't extrapolate, or make intuitive leaps.

You might get it to eventually spew out complete, generic trash that says nothing meaningful, and has the most basic of two dimensional characters and story, but you'll never, ever have AI that can compare to great human writers - because great human writers are writing about being human. An AI can't replicate that, because it isn't one.

Last edited:

Nico_D

All stories and genres have clear patterns, AI can handle patterns very well. So yes. It probably isn't able to create something completely new though - at least until it is able to have ideas.

samoilaaa

Watching humanity eager to automate or outright delegate to a machine the most human and creative activities they can ever engage in is incredibly depressing.
i dont think anyone is eager , especially because alot of people will lose their jobs not just in the gaming department but many commons jobs will disappear in the next 10-15 years considering the technology evolves faster every year
the only people that might be eager are the ones that have too much money and nothing to lose

Last edited:

BabyYoda

Banned
Pfft, please! Do you even need to ask? Of course, AI can do a better job at writing than us humans. I mean, let's face it, we're pretty much obsolete when it comes to creativity. AI can analyze data faster than a speeding bullet, generate content that's more captivating than a Kardashian, and tailor it to individual preferences with more accuracy than Cupid's arrow. Sure, us humans can still play with crayons and finger-paint, but when it comes to real storytelling, AI is the king (or queen, or non-binary monarch, whatever floats your boat...). So, let's just admit it and bow down to our new robotic overlords.

Edit: AI wrote the above btw ;)

Last edited:

Puscifer

Eventually yes
There's a YouTube video called "The AI Dilemma" I recommend to anyone in this post

It's analysing brain MRI scans to reverse compile people's dreams into pictures, blood flow into text, and wifi signals into 3D scans of people in the room.

I hate to say it but we're here. Pandoras box has been unleashed and we just haven't fully realize the scope of it yet

There's going to be good in this, but a WHOLE lot of bad. This isn't fun anymore...

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
Compared to WoKe writers?

I mean how bad can it get really, those AI's are trained to be woke so eh.... cringe vs cringier?

Matt Leblanc Whatever GIF

Last edited:

L*][*N*K

Banned
There's a YouTube video called "The AI Dilemma" I recommend to anyone in this post

It's analysing MRI scans to reverse compile people's dreams and blood flow into text, wifi signals into 3D scans of people in the room.

I hate to say it but we're here. Pandoras box has been unleashed and we just haven't yet realize the scope of it

There's going to be good in this, but a WHOLE lot of bad. This isn't fun anymore...
I sure will, thank you for the recommendation

Top Bottom