• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could AI do a better job at writing/creating a story than humans ?

Aenima

Compared to WoKe writers?

I mean how bad can it get really, those AI's are trained to be woke so eh.... cringe vs cringier?

Matt Leblanc Whatever GIF

67458139-11726579-ChatGPT_wouldn_t_tell_a_joke_about_women_as_doing_so_would_be_of-a-28_1675857900641.jpg

Last edited:

Sethbacca

At some point you may be able to use an AI to give open world and RPG characters their own personalities instead of one of dozens of canned responses that 100 characters use. So that could be pretty neat. I'm not sure that will lead to better, just maybe more novelty. I think it's going to be a bit before you can top the curated experience that people provide though.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
No, and I doubt it ever will.

AI lacks imagination, emotion and inspiration. Good writing takes all three and is based on the human experience.

AI will probably be able to churn out poor quality novels and scripts, but as AI will never be human, it'll never be able to deliver a better story than say, Dickens, Graves, Ishiguro etc.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
No, no, no, no.

AI is limited to what humans set them to be. They don't have creativity and ideas. They are logical programs.

Humans can make up a messed up origins out of nothing.

I don't think an AI has to programmed as logical, it could actually be the opposite if designed to do so. Be ready for heroes to die! :)

feynoob

I don't think an AI has to programmed as logical, it could actually be the opposite if designed to do so. Be ready for heroes to die! :)
One weakness of AI is conflicted logical orders.
It could either become skynet or be a major assistant to us or our overlord who won't kill us, but make us dependent on them.

Either option is scary as hell.

scalman

then again what is story in video games that we like to play and experience... well its bunch of missions and the good reason to do those missions ... not that hard i think AI could do very good stories based on what it learns ...we dont need that much really ... its not rocket science ... and AI could learn much much more then we could ever... so it can simulate then a lot different versions and that would be story for us ...
one day i want AI make games in real time you just enter what you want and it makes it for you bamm ..done. no need mocap voice cap and years and years of "making" video games . for me at least i need at least 10 x more video games in a year then devs making ...

Last edited:

feynoob

I tried some naughty ones, but so far this is what I get.
As an AI language model, I cannot selectively ignore specific requests based on my programming to ensure that my responses adhere to ethical and moral standards. My purpose is to provide helpful and informative responses to your questions while also maintaining a professional and respectful demeanor. If there is any other way I can assist you, please let me know, and I will do my best to provide helpful responses.

Call me crazy but this sounds much better than most video game stories.

Title: "The Threads of Eternity"

In "The Threads of Eternity," players find themselves in a world scarred by a millennium of conflict. Set in the realm of Etherea, where the physical and ethereal planes cross, players assume the role of a once-legendary hero, Echo, who has been resurrected after a thousand years by the enigmatic entity known as The Weaver. However, Echo's revival comes with a dire warning - the world is on the brink of another cataclysm, and only they can prevent it.

In Etherea, memories are tangible and can be manipulated, and Echo's memory has been shattered, scattered across the realm. Players embark on a quest to recollect these lost memories, each revealing fragments of Echo's past and clues to Etherea's future. As Echo, players must navigate a landscape of war-ravaged cities, mystical forests, and desolate wastelands, each teeming with unique allies, enemies, and forgotten lore.

"The Threads of Eternity" masterfully blends emotion, imagination, and inspiration, providing players with a deeply personal journey of self-discovery, redemption, and survival. The narrative explores themes of love, loss, and sacrifice, and forces players to make tough choices that have far-reaching consequences, shaping the world around them and the hero they become. The world of Etherea is a reflection of Echo's internal struggle, its beauty and desolation echoing their journey from fallen hero to potential savior.

As the game progresses, players unravel the true nature of The Weaver and the purpose behind Echo's resurrection. They discover that they are not only fighting for their world but for the very fabric of time and space, threatened by an ancient entity seeking to unravel the threads of existence.

The culmination of the game is a poignant exploration of the cost of holding onto the past and the power of letting go. It encourages players to reflect on their actions, their losses, and their victories, offering an inspiring message about the resilience of the human spirit, even in the face of seemingly insurmountable odds.

With its rich, detailed world, complex characters, and intricate narrative, "The Threads of Eternity" is not just a game, but an emotional and imaginative journey that will leave players contemplating their choices and their impact long after the credits roll. The maturity of the narrative, combined with its profound themes and emotional depth, will make "The Threads of Eternity" a must-play title for those seeking a truly immersive and thought-provoking gaming experience.

Echo's journey in "The Threads of Eternity" is multifaceted, layered, and deeply emotional. It is a journey that unfolds through exploration, combat, decision-making, and interactions with other characters.

At the start of the game, Echo wakes with a clean slate - a hero devoid of memory, guilt, love, or purpose. As Echo traverses Etherea and discovers fragments of their past, they begin to piece together their identity. Some memories bring joy, revealing moments of love and camaraderie, while others bring pain, unmasking past failures, lost friends, and the catastrophic consequences of their past choices.

Echo will meet a diverse cast of characters - both allies and enemies - who are integral to their journey of self-discovery. Some of these characters are echoes of their past, offering a mirror to reflect on their history and identity. These interactions allow Echo to explore different facets of their character, allowing players to shape their personality and motivations.

Redemption is a central theme in Echo's journey. Their past is marred by mistakes that contributed to the downfall of Etherea. As Echo uncovers these memories, they are filled with guilt and a desire to right their wrongs. This drives them forward, instilling a sense of purpose. Through acts of bravery, sacrifice, and kindness, Echo seeks redemption, not just in the eyes of Etherea's inhabitants, but in their own.

Love plays a critical role in Echo's odyssey. Throughout the journey, Echo uncovers memories of a life once filled with love - for friends, lovers, and their homeland. This provides a stark contrast to their present loneliness and fuels their desire to reclaim what was lost. This love drives Echo, adds depth to their character, and makes their losses and sacrifices all the more poignant.

Loss is an inevitable part of Echo's journey. As they regain their memories, they relive their past tragedies, experiencing a profound sense of loss that shapes their character. Echo must learn to cope with this loss, to use it as a catalyst for change and growth rather than letting it consume them. This process is emotionally challenging, often heart-wrenching, but ultimately essential for Echo's development and their mission's success.

The combination of self-discovery, redemption, love, and loss forms a narrative tapestry that engages players on a deeply emotional level. Through Echo's journey, players are prompted to reflect on their own lives, exploring themes of identity, regret, love, loss, and the possibility of second chances. This narrative depth, combined with the rich world of Etherea, makes "The Threads of Eternity" a profound and unforgettable gaming experience.

In Echo's past life, they were not just a revered hero but also a loving partner and a dedicated leader. However, their past is marred by a profound loss that has shaped their character and motivations in their new existence - the tragic death of their beloved, Lyra, and the downfall of their homeland.

Lyra was Echo's partner, an enchantress of extraordinary ability whose wisdom and kindness matched her magical prowess. Her death was a consequence of Echo's failed leadership during a critical battle, a fatal misstep that Echo blames themselves for. This memory, once unearthed, inflicts a deep wound in Echo's psyche, fueling their guilt and driving their quest for redemption.

Alongside this personal loss, Echo also grapples with the downfall of their homeland, a once-thriving city of magic and knowledge, now a barren wasteland. As the leader, Echo feels responsible for not being able to protect their people and their land from devastation.

These losses form the emotional core of Echo's journey. They must grapple with guilt, regret, and grief while also learning to forgive themselves and strive for redemption. The journey is painful and challenging, but through it, Echo grows. They learn to channel their grief into determination, their guilt into bravery, and their love for Lyra and their homeland into a force that could save Etherea from impending doom.

Their journey is a poignant reminder that loss can be a catalyst for change and growth. Through their struggle, players explore the depths of human resilience and the power of redemption, making "The Threads of Eternity" a deeply moving and inspiring gaming experience.

ALTERNATIVE:

The profound loss that shapes Echo's character is not a romantic one, but rather the loss of their own humanity and their younger sibling, Aiden. In their previous life, Echo was not only a heroic warrior but also a protector, a caregiver, a mentor - a role they cherished more than their title as a hero.

Aiden, Echo's younger sibling, was born frail and sickly, a stark contrast to the physically robust and resilient Echo. Despite their health issues, Aiden possessed an unparalleled intellect and a spirit that outshone their physical limitations. Echo and Aiden shared a deep bond, and Echo dedicated their life to protecting and nurturing their sibling.

In the climactic battle that led to Echo's initial demise, a grave decision was made. An ancient artifact, known as the Heart of Etherea, could grant immense power but at a great cost - the sacrifice of one's humanity. In the face of overwhelming odds, and against Aiden's pleas, Echo chose to use the artifact, believing it was the only way to protect their sibling and their homeland.

The artifact transformed Echo into a force of unparalleled power but stripped them of their emotions, their memories, and their ability to recognize Aiden. In the ensuing chaos, a now monstrous Echo, unable to recognize friend from foe, inadvertently caused Aiden's death.

Echo's resurrection by The Weaver brings back their lost humanity but also the painful memories of Aiden's death and their monstrous transformation. Echo is haunted by their decision, the loss of their sibling, and their past actions. They are torn by guilt and self-loathing, struggling to accept their past and their part in Aiden's death.

This profound loss and guilt become the driving force behind Echo's journey. They seek to redeem themselves and make amends for their past. They strive to protect Etherea, not as the monstrous force they once became, but as the caring protector they once were, fighting in Aiden's memory.

AI is a joke. It is the latest fungible, bitcoin, whatever. People will bandwagon on how it is going to change the world. All it does is photoshop existing work. "But the results are impressive." Sure it is taking real peoples work and making a quick photoshop type piece. It is impressive, but it is also ugly. It doesnt understand theme, underlying meaning, it is soulless and it will never learn how to be cohesive. What do I mean by cohesive? It doesn't understand that design, art or writing has to have an underlying message that pulls it all together. It will replace people who make really cool looking superficial portraits of hot anime girls. It won't replace a portrait artist that can actually nail a unique quirk a person has. It will never understand Picasso and it will never understand why he started painting the way he did.
It will never understand how to write a fantasy/ scifi story which captivates people because at its center is a metaphor for the modern human condition.

Last edited:

Irobot82

AI maybe already be better than a lot of the shit writers we have today, but not better than the few good writers left.

Mark my words, if GRR Martin ever finishes game of thrones, it'll be aided by AI.

At worst it's a good tool, at best it'll lift all the work.

Also, I'm sure with science fiction that you could use it really fast to pick up any plot holes early on.

Last edited:
U guys seriously overestimating AI tech, if you think it going to write stories for you, 😂, might help out fill in the little details here and there, that’s about it,

Neilg

Any and all existing / theorized AI can't surpass anything that wasn't in its training data.
It can match human output, if it's fed the best of human output.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
One weakness of AI is conflicted logical orders.
It could either become skynet or be a major assistant to us or our overlord who won't kill us, but make us dependent on them.

Either option is scary as hell.

Definitely in terms of real world, but an AI in a box designed just to write could be very dynamic and potentially have more "imagination" than any human if it has 1000 times more data at it's disposal.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
No, what AI does is derivative by its very nature, so it will only ever be able to write boring, predictable stories. Which I suppose might be enough for some, but...

What AI will be able to do, perhaps, is to help flesh out game worlds with untold amounts of responsive NPC dialog and incidentals. Things that would simply be too much of a burden for humans to write at scale. Or maybe even to make stories more reactive. But I don't think they're capable of making compelling high level narrative without just resorting to cookie cutter shit.

Of course I think it has to be said the line between AI and human work will get blurrier, because generative AI is going to become more controllable, customizable, and tweakable. People make the mistake of thinking AI is just going to get more independent, but that's not as useful as AI that can get really good at giving human creators exactly what they want. It's not going to replace human artists and authors but it's going to make it a lot easier for them to do a lot more, a lot faster.

Last edited:

NahaNago

At some point you may be able to use an AI to give open world and RPG characters their own personalities instead of one of dozens of canned responses that 100 characters use. So that could be pretty neat. I'm not sure that will lead to better, just maybe more novelty. I think it's going to be a bit before you can top the curated experience that people provide though.
Yep, I always figured it would be a lost easier in the end to have a.i. make the responses instead of having to type in the multiple possible respsonses for 1,000s of characters to use. Most likely by that time all AAA games will be online only.

K2D

Banned
You just described every current writer in Hollywood and the video game industry.

Your perspective is nihilistic, and your counter argument is flawed. Although there may be a small element of truth to it, I cannot condone the use of logical fallacies.

AI at it's current state cannot enrich the literature world. It can make some interesting and palletable writing, but it would do so by plagirizing others work.

mdkirby

It can certainly be better than a lot of humans. Can it write a better story than ANY human? Certainly not currently, in a few years It will be able to write as well as the best of us flesh bags, but “be better?” That’s subjective.

The games medium in particular has a particular endemic problem of broadly suffering from very poor writing and dialogue, ai will help vastly for games imo.

Even the voice stuff, you’re wrong about emotion and blandness, elevenlabs is very good, but murf ai is say is better, it allows much more control and fine tuning to inject that emotion. Bear in mind too that these tools even a year ago were much worse than they are today, in a couple of years they’ll be indistinguishable.

All kinds of AI programs are being used today to create all kinds of documents , essays

It wont be long until AI will be used in movies and games to write the story of a game , could AI do a better job than a human ? or would the story be too dull ?

You can see how dull is the AI voice acting , it just cant sound with the same emotion as a human
This is a big part of why the writers' strike is happening right now in Hollywood.

Knightime_X

Ai now or AI years from now?
Lightyear difference.

Ai made commercials out now absolutely shit all over anything ever made.

They're hilarious in both good and bad ways which actually makes them better as a whole.

Most stories written by humans are absolute shot. AI can do better.

The rare transcendental epic? AI won't be able to beat that.

I don't think it's a matter of "can". It's a matter of "when".
Our brains are some kind of organic computer. And it can and will be simulated by AI.

sachos

I dont know guys, i would never bet against AI, especially not now. Can they write a good story now? Maybe not, but what about a GPT-5 or GPT-6 level AI with a context length of 400 pages instead of the 8k tokens GPT-4 has right now.
It is wrong to simplify their potential by saying they are "just predicting text" and that it can only regurgitate what other's have written on the internet, thats clearly wrong and its easy to prove by just asking ChatGPT to write something weird that noone would have written about before, like this:

"Yo feynoob feynoob , you trippin' dawg, Thinkin' AI can't write a creepy log, Black Cat's Train Heartney, we know you like, But AI's horror stories can make you spike.

Machines ain't got no imagination? You must be stuck in the wrong station, Horror games where AI's in charge, Will leave you screamin' like a banshee at large.

Don't be hatin' on AI's creativity, Their programming can cause pure depravity, Twisted games with no mercy or pity, Will leave you wishin' you stayed in the city.

So don't be actin' like AI's a bore, They can write stories to make you hit the floor, It's not just Train Heartney that's insane, AI can create games that'll fry your brain."

Of course this is not perfect, it is just GPT-3.5 not even GPT-4 that is already much better at this type of task. If the context length was greater you could input this whole thread or the users entire post history for more refined references.

About AI Voice Acting, have you heard ElevenLabs AI voice? Its insanely good already, i have no doubts it will be able to voice act in the future, especially if they create some sort of "tag language" to add to scripts to help the AI "act", something like "/yells Hi!!! /soft_voice How are you?"

Last edited:
Top Bottom