• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could Captain America: Civil War make more money than Age of Ultron?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Spider-Man will be the major draw I think. As soon as he pops up in a trailer with Iron Man and Captian America people will be very excited.

NotLiquid

I wonder if Civil War will take a hit as part of the fallout from AoU not exactly setting the world on fire.

Marvel still maintains a lot of positive audience reception with their movies and Age of Ultron was no exception, no matter the more mixed reception the movie's had among enthusiasts. 1.4 billion is still nothing to sneeze at either.

I don't really think Civil War will make more money than Ultron since the branding is slightly too limited for that, but the audience still loves these movies. If nothing else it'll probably gross higher than Winter Soldier.

AoU was a long-awaited sequel to one of the biggest movies of all time.

Civil War follows a well-reviewed movie, but it wasn't exactly a giant hit.

guek

Banned
I think BvS is more appropriate competition since I don't think that movie has a great shot of being AoU either.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I'm thinking no. I think its about time that we start to see diminishing returns on superhero movies. Also, AoU probably hurts this movie pretty badly.

Age of Ultron made $1.4 billion worldwide and had a mostly positive reception from critics and filmgoers.

Don't get caught up in small-scale internet echo chambers when you're trying to figure out what people are going to go see at the box office.

I hope it does. Also I hope it destroys BvS numbers after scaring them of mano a mano confrontation. Also because I hate Zack as a director and I can't believe he gets to direct BvS.

Sapiens

AoU was a long-awaited sequel to one of the biggest movies of all time.

Civil War follows a well-reviewed movie, but it wasn't exactly a giant hit.

It transcends Cap'n America series tho (which is 50% shitty). Plus, Tobi McGweyver is coming back.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Yeah, but do people even know that Spider-Man is in this? I mean, general audience types? As far as I know, he is basically a cameo, or extended cameo, and isn't in any of the teasers or trailers.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Marvel/Disney is marketing Civil War more as a Captain America film than an Avengers film.

I can still see it beating Batman v Superman in the box office.

guek

Banned
Yeah, but do people even know that Spider-Man is in this? I mean, general audience types? As far as I know, he is basically a cameo, or extended cameo, and isn't in any of the teasers or trailers.

not yet...

nah, you're probably right, the role will likely be minimal

a film making money doesn't mean it's a well received film. It does mean it was a well marketed film, though.

Plenty of films have done well in the box office that had no business doing so. Ultron wasn't a disaster but in just about every measurable way it was worse than its predecessor.

Maybe Civil War pays for AoU's sins, maybe it doesn't. It's going to be interesting to see how this all plays out

Bleepey

I think it can do better than 3 and Age of Ultron. This is basicaly Iron Man 3.5/Cap 3/Avengers 2.5/Black panther 0.1/Spider-man 0.1 combined with the fact it's coming of BVS and Deadpool as well. Assuming these two are good, that might leave audiences craving more. I think 2 Billion is not crazy though it will probably be 1.8Bill

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.

There has only been on trailer though and it came out little less then two months ago. In the next trailer or so I would count on Spider-Man being in there. I can see him popping up if they have a super bowl ad underwraps.

The Kree

Banned
a film making money doesn't mean it's a well received film. It does mean it was a well marketed film, though.

Plenty of films have done well in the box office that had no business doing so. Ultron wasn't a disaster but in just about every measurable way it was worse than its predecessor.

Maybe Civil War pays for AoU's sins, maybe it doesn't. It's going to be interesting to see how this all plays out

Audiences and critics liked it. A loud sentiment on NeoGAF is not the end all be all.

Kyari

If it gets a significant Spider-Man related marketing push I could see it doing well, but we're getting closer and closer and still no Spidey reveal :(

Verendus

Banned
I don't think it'll be far off. It should be able to clear a billion. The brand matters when marketing, but even if Captain America: Civil War isn't Avengers, the fact remains that Iron Man is present. He's the most significant factor in my eyes.

While Winter Soldier was very good, it's a far cry from the success of Avengers. Iron Man, however, isn't considering how successful Iron Man 3 was. He's the centrepiece of this universe for good reason. Without Iron Man, this movie was never breaking a billion worldwide. With Iron Man, I'd honestly be surprised if it doesn't. And at that stage, does it really matter? Whether the movie ends up doing $1.2 billion or $1.3 billion or $1.4 billion, it's not a huge difference at that point.

Steve Rogers might be the better character, he certainly has the better solo movie, and he's not an asshole like Tony Stark, but at the end of the day, Tony is about do one of the biggest carry jobs people have ever witnessed. That ultimately makes him the winner.

Bless Roberto Downey the 2nd. And you can balee dat.

Penguin

I think the idea of Spider-man coming back home to marvel will be a big push for spider-man's movie stock but I have a spider-man avatar so fuck me right?

I think so. Spider-man alone already ensured a huge box office. Combine that with a movie that's sounding like Avengers 3, it has the chance to be the highest grossing film of the year or just under Rogue One.

I mean as far as the general audience at large knows, Spider-man has always been part of these movies

They start with the same exact logo or something.

I don't think his "coming home" is as big of a deal to the masses as it is to the diehard

Not to say he won't give the movie a boost, but I'm not thinking anything major.

And again

The last Spider-man movie did worse than The Winter Soldier.

NotLiquid

Spider-Man is very much confirmed to have an integral role. They're just crafty about not showing it, much like Vision in Age of Ultron. Marvel are generally really good at making trailers and marketing material that get people excited without giving too much away or upholding a ruse. Hell; Iron Man 3's entire existence is pretty much contingent on that alone and might arguably have been the first time in a long time that a major blockbuster movie threw everyone for a complete loop that no one, not even enthusiasts expected.

But you are right that a general moviegoer might not be aware of it even though the media bubble has expanded so much that the knowledge of him in Civil War is somewhat widespread.

I think it could. Millions are hooked on the running storyline and world they've created, and the hook of two team of heroes fighting each other is gonna be a big draw. For all purposes, it's another Avengers film with Captain America being the central figure.

Mega

Banned
and that doesn't change what i said: that in every measurable category, AoU was a worse film than its predecessor. That doesn't equal AoU being a bad film, but let's not kid ourselves. Even disney has come out and said it was a bit disappointed with AoU's performance

Exactly.

The Kree

Banned
You should not rely on just raw averages. And still, those percentages are a huge drop from Avengers 1.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/marvels_the_avengers/

That probably says less about the quality of the movie and more about the novelty.

and that doesn't change what i said: that in every measurable category, AoU was a worse film than its predecessor. That doesn't equal AoU being a bad film, but let's not kid ourselves. Even disney has come out and said it was a bit disappointed with AoU's performance

It does change what you said. There is no sin to atone for with regards to box office. People liked it well enough that it doesn't harm any of their movies going forward. Worse movies have made more money.

SpaceWolf

Banned
this alone will drive sales like crazy

Thing is though, Spiderman hasn't appeared in any of the marketing for the film whatsoever and we're getting closer and closer to release. Your Average Joe isn't going to have a clue that Spidey is in the movie if they keep this up.

icespide

Banned
I mean as far as the general audience at large knows, Spider-man has always been part of these movies

They start with the same exact logo or something.

I don't think his "coming home" is as big of a deal to the masses as it is to the diehard

Not to say he won't give the movie a boost, but I'm not thinking anything major.

And again

The last Spider-man movie did worse than The Winter Soldier.

I think the general audience is more aware than you give them credit.

LiK

Thing is though, Spiderman hasn't appeared in any of the marketing for the film whatsoever and we're getting closer and closer to release. Your Average Joe isn't going to have a clue that Spidey is in the movie if they keep this up.

I think something will eventually leak and it'll be all over the place. they might even use it as a minor tease in a new trailer. guess we'll see.

It does change what you said. There is no sin to atone for with regards to box office. People liked it well enough that it doesn't harm any of their movies going forward. Worse movies have made more money.

it made a lot of money on the back of the original film but disney was apparently disappointed that it didn't have as many repeated views as they would've liked, the implication being that many didn't feel that they wanted to see the film again from which one can assume that it wasn't as well received by movie goers

see, it's often the sequel that pays for the sins of the predecessor. so regardless of the box office reception of AoU, if many didnt feel inclined to watch it again because they found themselves not as fond of it as they would've liked then that sentiment could affect whether they feel the urge to watch the next film in the theaters at all.

Maybe that fallout only catches Avengers 3 and Civil War will get by unscathed but given that CW appears to be Avengers 2.5 in everything but name it could very well be that it is affected by AoU's reception.

You can argue back and forth how well AoU did but the fact of the matter is that by all accounts it didn't do well enough.

icespide

Banned

the reason Spidey hasn't been marketed at all yet is because there's even still a bit of legal gymnastics in terms of rights and who has permission to market him

The Kree

Banned
People here act like its a Daredevil or Ang Lee Hulk level of bad.

Simply has some pacing issues and is too stuffed with setups that the villain's development suffered, IMO.

I notice that nerds tend to turn on everything they love when it gets too popular. Comic nerds. Rock nerds. Any kind really. Can't just be happy that we run shit.

SpaceWolf

Banned
the reason Spidey hasn't been marketed at all yet is because there's even still a bit of legal gymnastics in terms of rights and who has permission to market him

Which, ironically, is cutting into the time they could be spending actually marketing him.

You see my point, yes?

icespide

Banned
Which, ironically, is cutting into the time they could be spending actually marketing him.

You see my point, yes?

I agree, it's a cluster fuck. It would be really weird but not surprising if spider-man actually has a decently important role (not just a cameo) in the movie but doesn't appear in the marketing at all.

guek

Banned
it made a lot of money on the back of the original film but disney was apparently disappointed that it didn't have as many repeated views as they would've liked, the implication being that many didn't feel that they wanted to see the film again from which one can assume that it wasn't as well received by movie goers

see, it's often the sequel that pays for the sins of the predecessor. so regardless of the box office reception of AoU, if many didnt feel inclined to watch it again because they found themselves not as fond of it as they would've liked then that sentiment could affect whether they feel the urge to watch the next film in the theaters at all.

Maybe that fallout only catches Avengers 3 and Civil War will get by unscathed but given that CW appears to be Avengers 2.5 in everything but name it could very well be that it is affected by AoU's reception.

You can argue back and forth how well AoU did but the fact of the matter is that by all accounts it didn't do well enough.

I agree with your premise but I don't think there's enough evidence to suggest that AoU has damaged the brand. It did not live up to expectations though.

Word of mouth will get out and its actually better they don't show him as you HAVE TO go see the movie. To see what he looks like and what he does. Everyone for the most part knows who Spider-Man is and that carries value. Even after the recent terrible movies.

Seemingly every character has an "integral role" in this movie. Captain America is the main character, we got Falcon as his sidekick, Bucky is a major player, Iron Man playing antagonist, Zemo as the main villain, Black Panther's apparently important... how much do you really expect Spider-man to be in this?

Penguin

I think the general audience is more aware than you give them credit.

To the general audience, Spider-man is Spider-man

How Batman is Batman

The same way Amazing Spider-man had a weakened presence due to Spider-man 3 and Batman Begins had a weakened box-office due to Batman and Robin.

We shall see though.

It's what Avengers 2 should've been. I found Ultron pretty entertaining but it nothing to expand or change the MCU like Winter Soldier or even the first movie besides Scarlet Witch and Vision all the while somehow being more bloated setup heavy than any MCU film to that point. With that being said it's the Civil War is the movie I'm looking forward to the most besides Deadpool and Rogue One and I hope it does well even though I don't think it'll make more money than if it had "Avengers" in its name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom