• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could Captain America: Civil War make more money than Age of Ultron?

Status
Not open for further replies.

icespide

Banned
Seemingly every character has an "integral role" in this movie. Captain America is the main character, we got Falcon as his sidekick, Bucky is a major player, Iron Man playing antagonist, Zemo as the main villain, Black Panther's apparently important... how much do you really expect Spider-man to be in this?

I'm guessing at least one scene as Peter Parker at his home with Aunt May, and one fight scene as Spider-man.

The Kree

Banned
Thing is though, Spiderman hasn't appeared in any of the marketing for the film whatsoever and we're getting closer and closer to release. Your Average Joe isn't going to have a clue that Spidey is in the movie if they keep this up.

This is not a legitimate concern though. They're not going to just forget to leverage one of their biggest assets in marketing. We all wanna see pictures of Spider-Man, but common sense should tell us that they have marketing experts on their staffs who know how to time it better than we would.

Dalek

Seemingly every character has an "integral role" in this movie. Captain America is the main character, we got Falcon as his sidekick, Bucky is a major player, Iron Man playing antagonist, Zemo as the main villain, Black Panther's apparently important... how much do you really expect Spider-man to be in this?
I wonder about this too. Unless Black Panther is bringing Spider-Man it seems like one more thing to shoehorn in.

SpaceWolf

Banned
This is not a legitimate concern though. They're not going to just forget to leverage one of their biggest assets in marketing. We all wanna see pictures of Spider-Man, but common sense should tell us that they have marketing experts on their staffs who know how to time it better than we would.

My point is, the movie is releasing in three months. And we haven't seen Spidey in so much as a teaser poster. From a marketing perspective, you think they would be rolling out the big guns.

NotLiquid

Iron Man isn't really an antagonist since the producers/directors and actors have affirmed that both "sides" in the dilemma are moral grey areas and they want to make the audience come to the conclusion of who was right. The reason it's branded as a Cap movie is mainly because the story picks up from The Winter Soldier and because Cap is the more personal centerpiece of it; which in this case seems to be him driving a wedge in the registration act because of circumstances concerning Bucky. The movie probably isn't going to dwell much on the pre-established characters other than Steve, Tony and maybe Widow since most of them seem to just be fire power for each side of the teams.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I wonder about this too. Unless Black Panther is bringing Spider-Man it seems like one more thing to shoehorn in.

giphy.gif

You hear that? That's the sound of thousands of high-school girls all opening up their new tabs and clicking on Tumblr.

Verendus

Banned
giphy.gif

You hear that? That's the sound of thousands of high-school girls all opening up their new tabs and clicking on Tumblr.
Does that cup contain the tears of fanboys who identify too strongly with how much money their preferred movie makes? I ask because I feel BvS is going to beat those tears out of their tear ducts.

You may need a bigger cup.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Does that cup contain the tears of fanboys who identify too strongly with how much money their preferred movie makes? I ask because I feel BvS is going to beat those tears out of their tear ducts.

You ready for your new Batista avatar when BvS gets left in the dust? :^)

guek

Banned

I can't tell if this post is meant to be ironic

Thing is though, Spiderman hasn't appeared in any of the marketing for the film whatsoever and we're getting closer and closer to release. Your Average Joe isn't going to have a clue that Spidey is in the movie if they keep this up.

Well, if the same audience who went to see Ant-Man caught on to that rant at the end of the film about Spidey, I think most would know that he's coming. Plus, didn't a couple of sites confirm to social media that he'll be in CW? I believe more casual fans expect it more than you think they do.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony & Marvel agree to get a TV spot dedicated to heavily tease the Spidey appearance right before the movie hits

I don't think Sony will agree to Spidey appearing in that kind of marketing unless he's the "Star" of it.

I wasn't too impressed with the Civil War trailer, to be honest. It's flop-proof, money-wise, but I don't think it looks that great. The premise has been done already in other movies, including marvel movies, and it's starting to look very hero-bloated. But, time will tell.

AoU was meh.

Winter Soldier was the best MCU movie so far and that's the one I am holding the rest up to.

The premise has been done already in other movies, including marvel movies, and it's starting to look very hero-bloated. But, time will tell.

Which Marvel movie previously involved the government forcing superheroes to register and serve their interests?

The stuff you're referring to that has been done in other movies was all just setup for Civil War.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Well, if the same audience who went to see Ant-Man caught on to that rant at the end of the film about Spidey, I think most would know that he's coming. Plus, didn't a couple of sites confirm to social media that he'll be in CW? I believe more casual fans expect it more than you think they do.

This is not an Average Joe.

Which Marvel movie previously involved the government forcing superheroes to register and serve their interests?

The stuff you're referring to that has been done in other movies was all just setup for Civil War.

X-Men, if I recall, had a Senator who wanted to register Mutants, hence Magento's hatred of humans.

The X-men movies have already dealt with stuff like:

1. Registering mutants
2. Curing mutants
3. Using mutants as military weapons
4. Wiping out mutants altogether

...to name a few.

Not calling it Avengers Civil War will hurt it - thats a branding problem that has a big impact.
No Hulk or Thor won't hurt it because again its not called Avengers, but them not being present is going to limit the box office imo.
ASM1 sort of showed that rebooting a property doesnt necessarily bring revitalized interest/box office - and at this point the average person still doenst even know Spider-Man is in the movie.
Avengers got rave reviews and public reception, but Ultron's quality and draw was ultimately standalone so even though Winter Soldier was great that would only impact the opening weekend really

Only watching the Super Bowl to get a glimpse of this movie though (and Ghostbusters) so hopefully they'll drop the Spider-Man bomb there.

But no it wont outgross Avengers.

X-Men, if I recall, had a Senator who wanted to register Mutants, hence Magento's hatred of humans.

Ok I'll give you that lol, thought you were referring specifically to Marvel Studios films.

It's definitely a common thread in superhero media, we'll see something similar in Batman V Superman but I think the subject is best handled through Captain America's perspective.

Spider man hype will make the movie make $$$$$$

I can see an say "See Spider-Man fight captain America or iron man"
They are gonna show him in commercials to bring the hype

I can't even believe that people are entertaining the notion that marvel wouldn't beat it into our heads that spider-man is in the movie.

We'll hear about him soon enough, and then we won't be able to stop hearing about him until release. They'll probably spoil all of his scenes.

3N16MA

Banned
Disney/Marvel is going to have to feature Spidey in the ads leading up to the opening for this to have a shot.

Civil War is missing Thor and Hulk which are a big draws in a team up film. Black Panther is a great character but he is not going to pull in the average fan on his first try as a non main character. None of the other characters outside of Iron Man and Cap can fill those shoes. Maybe after his solo film.

I can see it getting close to IM3. Maybe topping AoU if Spider-Man is heavily teased or featured in an ad.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

This could change if Spidey appears in a Civil War trailer during the Super Bowl.

I was naive like you once. Thinking that Man of Steel would gross a billion and leave Iron Man 3 in the dust back in 2013. Oh silly me now I know better.

Bigfoot

Is Black Panther really a draw? I figured anyone that knows about him is already seeing every Marvel movie anyways.

SpaceWolf

Banned
The only thing that worries me about the quality of this film is reading all those reports about Robert Downey Jr demanding more screen-time in the movie. Apparently Marvel felt he should have a smaller role, but the guy's agent insisted. I'm praying this isn't going to turn into another Avengers situation where Steve gets totally overshadowed and the whole movie turns into the Tony Stark and Pals hour.

IconGrist

Is Black Panther really a draw? I figured anyone that knows about him is already seeing every Marvel movie anyways.

Yea, I'm not well-versed with BP and his introduction in this movie produces no additional interest for me. I am already going to see the movie opening weekend though so that doesn't really matter.

The only thing that worries me about the quality of this film is reading all those reports about Robert Downey Jr demanding more screen-time in the movie. Apparently Marvel felt he should have a smaller role, but the guy's agent insisted. I'm praying this isn't going to turn into another Avengers situation where Steve gets totally overshadowed and the whole movie turns into the Tony Stark and Pals Show.

Stark should have a big role in Cap's Civil War story.

But its still a cap movie.

Cap's supporting cast is there in full force

The villain is a Cap villain

All those Avengers that they're making a big deal of will be there for the setup and for the one big fight, Cap's not gonna get shorted.

icespide

Banned

All those Avengers that they're making a big deal of will be there for the setup and for the one big fight, Cap's not gonna get shorted.

yeah I don't think anyone needs to worry about this not being a Captain America movie

Sadist

I just hope we'll get a good movie. I really loved Winter Soldier. Hope the Russo's can deliver for a second time.

SpaceWolf

Banned

With all due respect, isn't the villain essentially supposed to be Stark for this one? If I'm wrong on that, I apologize.

With all due respect, isn't the villain essentially supposed to be Stark for this one? If I'm wrong on that, I apologize.

Stark will play an adversarial role for sure, but (spoilering since there hasn't been an official "reveal" as yet)
Zemo is in the movie and we should expect him to be the "real" badguy

They're probably not gonna push Stark so far that he comes off as a real supervillain. The Russos want the audience to be able to side with either of them. Neither Steve nor Tony should be completely "right". That's what makes their conflict more interesting.

Ovid

If Marvel pushes the fact that Spidey is in it, I think could possibly reach AoU levels of revenue.

The average movie goer doesn't know who BP is so he will not be a factor in their decision.

NotLiquid

Stark will play an adversarial role for sure, but (spoilering since there hasn't been an official "reveal" as yet)
Zemo is in the movie and we should expect him to be the "real" badguy

They're probably not gonna push Stark so far that he comes off as a real supervillain. The Russos want the audience to be able to side with either of them. Neither Steve nor Tony should be completely "right". That's what makes their conflict more interesting.

Judging by the trailer they've definitely managed to make Tony at least somewhat able to sympathize with (i.e Rhodey being mortally wounded / feeling pretty bitter about Cap being a hypocrite) which is a good thing, and a far, far cry from the absolute cartoon villain he was in the Civil War comic. Ironically Tony seems somewhat painted as an underdog for now since he seems to have the most moments of getting fucked over in the trailer.

Steve vs Tony is probably going to be more of an emotional center than anything. I don't think they're going to level buildings and cause destruction because they're indifferent - and I doubt anyone on Cap's team would be responsible for Rhodey being in the state he was unless it's Bucky and he's still somewhat compromised. Most likely the two "teams" end up crossing hands circumstantially because of situations the real adversaries of the movie have put them into.

I think Civil War could make 450-500 domestic, honestly. Could. Depends on how good the marketing is in the month leading up to the release. Depends on Spidey. Depends on whether people will be thirsty for Marvel's "Batman v. Superman"-type conflict after actually getting Batman v. Superman earlier in the year.

But I think you don't even have to break it down beyond these two aspects:

Tony & Steve throw down
Spider-Man shows up.

Verendus

Banned
I think Civil War could make 450-500 domestic, honestly. Could. Depends on how good the marketing is in the month leading up to the release. Depends on Spidey. Depends on whether people will be thirsty for Marvel's "Batman v. Superman"-type conflict after actually getting Batman v. Superman earlier in the year.

But I think you don't even have to break it down beyond these two aspects:

Tony & Steve throw down
Spider-Man shows up.
Depends. Depends. Depends. You don't have a backbone in your body. You're more flippy dippy than those indie wrestlers. More wobbly than a julienne salad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom