• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could DS4 do for next gen what the 360 controller was for last gen?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The point he makes about feeling more comfortable with symmetrical sticks' positioning on the DS4 than on the DS3 shows that Sony put a lot of thought into the ergonomics as well as the functionality.

Darksol

Oh sh*t what??? 360 controller takes AA batteries?? Any consumer electronics that required AA batteries in this day and age is automatically disqualified from everything.

When my options are needing AA batteries or not needing them, I go with not needing them. I guess I'm just crazy like that.

I tried both at Eurogamer and the Xbox One controller was much better. DS4 is a marked improvement over DS3, but Xbone controller was pretty much spot on for me.

Ganondolf

I always preferred the ds3 to the 360 pad. I think as many have said the 360 pad lends itself well to fps. but the buttons and d pad on the 360 pad are poor compared to ds3 in my opinion.

Orayn

everytime i see a picture of a journalist holding a DS3 they're holding it wrong, so as far i am concerned the DS4 isn' a step forward but a lateral step in ergonomics to appease everyone who holds a DS3 wrong, and a step backwards in button functionality by removing the analog input of the face and d-pad buttons. How are we suppose to play older games that do make of that functionality over gaikai?

Well, the DS4 has actual handles now instead of useless plastic ice cream cones, so they won't hold it wrong by default.

What does that even mean?

You're supposed to daintily suspend the DS3 in your fingers because the grips are un-grippable.

UNCMark

Banned
Because I don't play lots of FPS games, the DS3, for me, is a better pad. Better buttons, better dpad. I don't notice the sticks being too lose, that's a non-issue for me.

I find it more comfortable to hold.

For me, and the genres I play, the DS3 is far better than the 360 pad.

Personal opinion is fine. But the most popular genre is FPS, and for those the 360 is unquestionably the best console controller for them. There's no debate. That's why Sony made a video specifically showing how they went to action game devs asking how to improve their controller. Sony knew the 360 controller was an advantage MS had over them. And big ups to them for doing something about it.

Redshirt

Banned
I haven't tried it yet, but from afar, the DS4 touchpad strikes me as a feature that won't be very practical.

Miguel81

all the 360 controller did was to be a good fit for FPS games. the end.
the DS3 was an all around good controller

I agree with this, and that's why I prefer the DS3 myself.

Which is IMO more because of GFWL/Microsoft pushing it (If I'm not mistaken, most if not all GFWL games supported only Xinput controllers), rather than the pad itself.
I don't think Sony cares about PC market enough to do something more than enabling these "basic functions". MS had at least some business on the platform, so they tried to profit from it. Ultimately, GFWL failed but the image of X360 pad being "the" for PC remained.

I hope we get back to DirectInput if the DS4 becomes popular.

Sorry, what exactly did the 360 controller 'do for last gen?'

Sell more systems? Not really
Be better for FPS? That would be personal preference
Make people think asymmetrical is best? Totally subjective

TRios Zen

While I would not claim to be free of ALL bias (anyone who tells you they are, well, they're probably lying); my hands don't lie to me.

The DS series of controllers has killed my hands since the initial design and means I'm limited to relatively short sessions of gameplay. I've bought aftermarket controllers since the PS1. IF the DS4 changes that I'll be plenty happy, regardless if it becomes a standard for the PC or not.

Skilletor

Personal opinion is fine. But the most popular genre is FPS, and for those the 360 is unquestionably the best console controller for them. There's no debate. That's why Sony made a video specifically showing how they went to action game devs asking how to improve their controller. Sony knew the 360 controller was an advantage MS had over them. And big ups to them for doing something about it.

Cool. I'm just tired of everything being console warrior bullshit. The DS3 is my preferred pad because it fits better with the games I play. Not because I'm more used to a DS3 or because that's what I grew up with. I couldn't care less about FPS games, and so for me the DS3 was a better pad.

velociraptor

I Hope not. I loathe the 360 controller aside from FPS.
Same. That's the only thing the 360 controller has any use for.

The DS3 was a great all round pad no matter what genre you played. Good news is that the DS4 seems to have improved upon the DS3 in almost every way.

I would love it if I could play the DS4 wirelessly on my PC. Now that would be a megaton.

Qassim

I'm still shocked at how large the DS4 is:

a7EiSZN.jpg

For perspective:

My ideal controller would have been the 360 controller, SYMMETRICAL LAYOUT, and with PS3 face buttons/D pad.

The fact that people still say asymmetrical is the best layout as fact pisses me off. It's still preference.

Marceles

I never got controller preference but it clearly is a thing and weighed heavily on 360's favor last gen. Gamers had problems with PS3's symmetrical stick layout but judging by what the gaming press has to say the PS4 controller is a significent improvement despite still being symmetrical.

Anyway I found this interesting video with hands on experience of the two controllers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yv9VfbmLgI

I'm suprised that the XB1 d-pad isn't as improved as it was perceived to be, of course it will depend on person to person but with the press and gamers showing preference to DS4 MS may actually lose something much more vital than mere tech power.

I've only heard gamers complain about PlayStation's symmetrical sticks after the 360 came out. DS controllers have been out for like 15 years. I don't see much of what the 360 controller has done other than curve the triggers and make the sticks asymmetrical. I'm glad they finally fixed the d-pad, but the controller never felt like a godsend to me.

I can't play better on one controller than the other besides fighting games, which if I absolutely needed to play on pad I'd use a PS3 controller.

kyser73

But it doesn't *feel* big - if anything it feels smaller than a ds3 - it feels more compact. Great grip too; I don't have any issues with the ds3 as I'm a Sony 3-genner and found a DS2 analogue controller in a box the other day which is more-or-less the same size(surprisingly has recessed tops on the sticks, same as ds4) and my only issue with it was the high-gloss finish.

I've used the 360 controller a few times and while I appreciate the difference in response on the sticks, the main advantage I found was the asymmetrical layout for games which use the d-pad for driving menus, especially RPGs. Felt like cheap shite tho.

DS4 feel great all round tho, and I'm looking forward to getting to spend more than 20 minutes with it in my mitts on 29/11

Miguel81

Same. That's the only thing the 360 controller has any use for.

The DS3 was a great all round pad no matter what genre you played. Good news is that the DS4 seems to have improved upon the DS3 in almost every way.

I would love it if I could play the DS4 wirelessly on my PC. Now that would be a megaton.

If it supports a standard USB connection, shouldn't that allow it to be paired via bluetooth 2.1?

Without having held either of them, I'm leaning towards the XBone controller on visual perception alone. I don't hate the DS3, I basically have no real problems with it, but I do prefer the 360 controller because of size, stick layout, triggers, and analog sticks. I like concave "dish" sticks to convex sticks, I like the 360 triggers more vs. th DS3's mushy triggers... Although I do prefer the L1 / R1 buttons over LB / RB click buttons but I've gotten used to both.

Face buttons: I always prefer Sony's face buttons because the 360 buttons felt spongy but "hard" on the surface. This only bothered me in one game, one of the MLB 2K baseball games, where I thought that the A button on the 360 gave me thumb fatigue.

The one big advantage, the Dpad, is one that I've never really run into ... I don't play a lot of games that make heavy use of the Dpad on either console.

I also prefer battery packs / batteries to the rechargable controllers... Neither of my PS3 controllers have good battery life anymore.. maybe 5 hours before it's 50% life.

I'm very interested to check out the rumble triggers... I really think that could add a lot to the games that I play, but I think it may be hokey, similar to the Move / Gyroscope controls of the PS3 pad. Multiplat games will probably ignore it or make it a very peripheral, meaningless feature. FWIW, I play more multiplats than anything else. Very happy about the longer/more ergonomic handles on the DS4. I got tired of the short handles on the DS3, and I have pretty big hands.

I have this weird thing where I adapt really easily and as a result have never had a problem with controllers/K+M/arcade sticks(years of pad into square gate and It took about 1 hour to perform at the level I played on pad, K+M took maybe 40 minutes to get used to, although i don't play any competitive games on pc like I do on consoles) so my only gripe is with dpads, and as a result I really dislike the 360 controller. For me the perfect dpad would be a bigger vita dpad.

Gestault

Sorry, what exactly did the 360 controller 'do for last gen?'

Sell more systems? Not really
Be better for FPS? That would be personal preference
Make people think asymmetrical is best? Totally subjective

I think the almost universal popularity of the 360 controller for PC gaming gives a good idea of its quality and appeal. Mind you, most of those appealing qualities are now present in the PS4 controller. It's a good time to game.

"Could the DS4 do for next-gen what the 360 controller did for last gen ?"

And I'm not even sure what you're asking so I'll refrain from answering.

Hey guys what do you think about the wii u controller? i really like it so far as it has a good dpad, start/select don't get in the way, and it even has good zr/zl placement and dual analog for babbies(im sorry i just don't really need dual analogs for more than like...5 games). although i dislike how far L/R feel from my grip which might have more to do with my hands size, I should probably download sf2 turbo to test it out.

RalchAC

The main problem with the PS3 pad is the triggers, really. The fact that I've had to buy a product to make the triggers not-shit says it all, really. Amazed that someone at Sony could have actually used it and then sent it out the door like that.

I really hope that's fixed.

I can't play my Bioshock PS3 copy (that come with BI preorder) because you have to use L2 and R2 to shoot / use plasmids. And it is one of my favorite games this gen.

I'm still shocked at how large the DS4 is:

For perspective:

Holy shit. I prefered the Controller S to the 360 controller because its handles were bigger and more comfy, and you're telling me that the controller for the Xbox One has even smaller handles ? Wow. I haven't held one in my hands, but I am wondering just how they could think this was going to be comfortable.

RedAssedApe

Banned
did controller really have that big a influence in console wars for current gen? i mean i do prefer the xbox 360 controller to ds3. but if psn had been in its current state at the start as well as multi-platform parity in graphics...i dunno if a controller would have swayed me.

UNCMark

Banned
Anyway I found this interesting video with hands on experience of the two controllers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yv9VfbmLgI

That video is great, btw. Thanks for linking. I can't wait to finally use the DS4. I've held the Xbox One controller. It felt good, but the sticks were too loose imo and the L1 R1 were questionable. Impulse triggers don't sound like they'd be a plus for me. I use the always-off option on the 360 when it comes to rumble. For whatever reason rumble in games numb my hands/fingers in a bad way to the point of distraction and discomfort. So doing that to my fingers doesn't sound like a good thing.

kyser73

I can't play my Bioshock PS3 copy (that come with BI preorder) because you have to use L2 and R2 to shoot / use plasmids. And it is one of my favorite games this gen.

Haven't you got the muscle memory on your middle fingers to do that? Maybe it's because I've been using DS pads since PS1, but I've always had index fingers on R/L1 & middle fingers on R/L2.

did controller really have that big a influence in console wars for current gen? i mean i do prefer the xbox 360 controller to ds3. but if psn had been in its current state at the start as well as multi-platform parity in graphics...i dunno if a controller would have swayed me.

For me it did. The controller is a HUGE part of the overall gaming experience IMO. The only thing that made playing PS3 possible for me this gen was an adapter I bought that let me use my 360 controller on my PS3. If it weren't for that, I might not have even kept my PS3 around.

The DS3 made playing games a a shitty and aggravating experience rather than an enjoyable experience for me. And that's not hyperbole, it's how I honestly felt.

lets be honest, the buttons on the 360 controller are awful. Any kinda of action, fighting or platforming game is automatically better with the DS3 because of those damn clicky face buttons

For me it did. The controller is a HUGE part of the overall gaming experience IMO. The only thing that made playing PS3 possible for me this gen was an adapter I bought that let me use my 360 controller on my PS3. If it weren't for that, I might not have even kept my PS3 around.

The DS3 made playing games a a shitty and aggravating experience rather than an enjoyable experience for me. And that's not hyperbole, it's how I honestly felt.

what genres do you play most? I don't play fps/tps so things like dual analog/triggers mean nothing outside of character action for me. For pad players in a fighting game I would consider the ds3 the only viable option unless you learn the nuances of 360 dpad(which I despise). classics and platformers are also great with ds3, because of its dpad.

Wynnebeck

Banned
I think the almost universal popularity of the 360 controller for PC gaming gives a good idea of its quality and appeal. Mind you, most of those appealing qualities are now present in the PS4 controller. It's a good time to game.

That had more to do with the fact that MS had official drivers for the 360 so it was plug and play as opposed to having to download specific software to get the DS3 to work, not quality and appeal.

The fact that the X1 controller looks like a step back and the DS4 looks like a step forward for me definitely played into my decision of which system to buy at launch. So, maybe?

Top Bottom