• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could Halo have had a COD like run or was it destined to have a fall off? Halo was huge at one time.

havoc00

If things went different, could Halo have kept its popularity like cod has for a long duration? Or was it always bound to come back down to earth? I really dont think people aside from the ones who lived through it knew how big Halo really was in its heyday

y5xkgES.jpg

Banjo64

cumsessed
Could it have? I’d say no because the developer had no desire to continue the franchise. Not to be pedantic but that’s all it comes down to. Activision have been able to keep churning these games out. Bungie didn’t want to do the same. If Bungie did have the will, would current day Halo still be pulling in 1m concurrent players like it was during Halo 3? IMO no, but it’d be putting in similar numbers to Destiny and would therefore be a lot more successful than it is with 343.

Pelta88

Remember how desperate Bungie was to get out of Microsoft’s corporate structure? Once Microsoft got hold off Halo and started enforcing their vision into the ip instead of letting the devs create… It was pretty much a done deal.

From Marquee franchise that created momentum, to Craig.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

It died after Reach.
I would say after 4, that game had an incredible campaign, stellar music, new cool enemies, and awesome new weapons, as someone who had no faith going in it had such promise in its future (4 really stumbled in its priorities with the competitive ranked online sort of things with random drops not balanced properly but Halo CE had bad balance issues in thier beginning so I saw it as excusable). Theres no way the same people who did 4 did 5 or infinite.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
No because halo by its nature is effectively about one story. Whereas with cod, each game is a different story and setting.

Also halo was bungie. Whereas cod from almost the get go was made my multiple studios. So allowed longer developments times etc.

There’s nothing about Halo that suggests “it’s nature is one story”.

You could easily turn that IP into the CoD model.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Destined to die off for many reasons:

- When Halo 1/2 were huge on Xbox OG, that's when lightning reflex arena shooters were still king. But when WWII and then Modern Warfare settings came about, people preferred the more grounded settings, slower paced games and asymmetrical MP maps. Legendary games Unreal, Quake and Doom disappeared too. Same twitchy ilk

- Halo is a console exclusive. I think it came to PC later, but it's still a very Xbox focused game. The biggest MP shooters are all multiplat, which just makes it harder for platform specific shooters to dominate

- Never seemed to evolve. I barely played Halo, but from what I see it's very similar to old games. At least with COD, it morphed to more customization (not old school red vs blue armour), tons of modes, various shooter franchises now focus or have BR mode

- Too much focus on SP and story. Out of all the major shooter franchises, how many gamers care that much about SP campaign as the priority? Hardly any. When it comes to shooters, it's MP first, SP second. halo always seemed promoted as SP first, MP second. At least thats the gist I got from trailers with Master Chief this, Cortana that, lore, etc.... I think most shooter gamers just want to know how good and meaty MP mode is first. And if it has a good SP mode, that's a bonus

Last edited:
Not really. The moment COD gained a regular cadence of releases, started to produce different stories every game + being multiplat meant that it would surpass Halo. Not to mention, unlike Microsoft, Activisition had been heavily marketing COD not only with platform holders but also by itself.

Last edited:

Sushi_Combo

Id argue it died at Reach. The campaign was great but the MP was fucking shit and the start of the downfall.
It was a weaker mp game overall, but I really liked the unlockables as you kept playing and the firefight mode was pretty fire.
Those perk loadouts, especially the shield one (armor lock?) kinda broke me in many ways lol.

Last edited:
- Too much focus on SP and story. Out of all the major shooter franchises, how many gamers care that much about SP campaign as the priority? Hardly any. When it comes to shooters, it's MP first, SP second. halo always seemed promoted as SP first, MP second. At least thats the gist I got from trailers with Master Chief this, Cortana that, lore, etc.... I think most shooter gamers just want to know how good and meaty MP mode is first. And if it has a good SP mode, that's a bonus
I kind of see what you mean but also disagree. Halo 2 and 3 definitely drove multiplayer gold subscriptions like nothing else. Halo 3 had a very short campaign and to me the multiplayer took the center stage, I had friends who lived on Halo 3 MP.

Iced Arcade

naw Halo was never annually and casuals gravitated to COD because it was easy to get kills. love Halo but you get your ass handed to you online unless you spend a lot of time on it.

ungalo

It could have been more popular than what it is now. But it couldn't have been the same as Call of Duty, for so many reasons, first and foremost because it was exclusive to the 360, and that when online started exploding on consoles, a multiplat game had better chance to start a virtuous circle of popularity, because everybody could play it, talk about it, be part of the competition. When CoD grabbed the crown it was over.

If we talk about the games themselves, as a business plan or the scale of investments, i think Microsoft weren't ambitious enough, already at the times of their peak in 2010. People were saying there were too many Halo games on 360, but the franchise started to crumble when they could not release new games at a steady pace.

Bungie left, so what ? All the biggest talents at Infinity Ward also left at the same time. Sure CoD wasn't the same after that, but Activision nevertheless made sure they had 3, 4 studios as back-up to produce new games, and they replaced all the ancient team at IW. Microsoft had a lot of time to prepare and still all we were left with was 343i, with some external help from Certain Affinity. They didn't do enough.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

It was a weaker mp game overall, but I really liked the unlockables as you kept playing and the firefight mode was pretty fire.
Those perk loadouts, especially the shield one kinda broke me in many ways lol.
The shield was unbalanced and the guns were balanced too balanced which made for weaker uninteresting guns. I hated all of the new power weapons in that game, nothing felt powerful. Invis was fun tho and Invasion was neat. Taking the multiplayer maps straight from the single player really hurt the campaign for me tho since it was a 1 to 1 rip and I played alot of the beta.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
CoD has the advantage of being multiplatform. Something that Halo was never going to have. This allows CoD more growth and more staying power.

No because perfect timing had a lot to do with its success. It just run its course.

Halo 1-3 were very good games but the timing of the rise of online MP and social media at the time helped.

COD is more casual friendly and it was built to be a annual release.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Best case scenario was MS allowing Bungie make Destiny but have them involved in consultancy work for 343. Halo would remain huge but with only access to one platform, its hard to be bigger than multiplatform games.

ungalo

Saying Halo Reach killed Halo is like saying Call of Duty died with Call of Duty Ghosts, or even with the original Modern Warfare 3, since it was the first "Infinity Ward" game that didn't push the franchise further. It's not true, Call of Duty still sold millions after that. Even the suicidal bombing that was Infinite Warfare, that existed just to shit on Titanfall didn't kill the brand despite a loss of 10 millions copies.

It died because Microsoft let 4 years to pass before Halo 5 released, then 6 before Halo Infinite. They let the franchise become a distant memory, the result of those productions being the last nail in the coffin.

And they made Halo Infinite a GAAS, not because they had a brilliant idea that would blow everyone away, but because the production was a complete disaster. Halo appeals to a traditional public, it should have a similar model to traditional Call of Duty, a steady flow of releases. People laugh about the number of players of Halo Infinite on Steam, but Halo (just like CoD outside of Warzone) was never Counter-Strike nor Fortnite.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
No because perfect timing had a lot to do with its success. It just run its course.

Halo 1-3 were very good games but the timing of the rise of online MP and social media at the time helped.

COD is more casual friendly and it was built to be an annual release.
“COD is more casual friendly and it was built to be an annual release.”

Today cod’s multiplayer menus have a tremendous amount of menus, perks, loadouts, and cosmetics, that’s not the equivalent of casual CODs of the past. That’s good news for hardcore cod players.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
Halo died because Microsoft were too stupid to let it succeed. CoD is fast? Sure. Destiny isn't, and it's hugely successful. Halo could have been a massive juggernaut into the 2010's and 2020's. The problem isn't the game's design. The problem is that Halo 5 launched on the Xbox One, a system that was clobbered by the PS4, it had no PC release to drive hype, and Halo Infinite is a notorious trainwreck, even if they've salvaged the mutiplayer.

They also managed to violate people's nostalgia by fucking up the MCC.

You want to blame someone? Blame Bonnie Ross.

clarky

Gold Member
Best case scenario was MS allowing Bungie make Destiny but have them involved in consultancy work for 343. Halo would remain huge but with only access to one platform, its hard to be bigger than multiplatform games.

Yup what kind of fucking idiot lets your crown jewel developer fuck off and make a multiplatform game.

Answer: Microsoft

Kerotan

COD is at another level.

It could have had a destiny like run the past 10 year's though.

1. MS let Bungie make a new IP
2. Release it on playstation day 1 like destiny was

Terrible decision by MS to lose Bungie the way they did.

flying_sq

Should have never kept using master chief or cortana after H3. H4 should have been about completely different people, with some references to MC and cortana, but nothing more than fan service moments or easter eggs. MS doubled down on MC being the face of Halo then did a trash version of it with H5 when it was too late and people had already started to check out.

SHA

You're asking the same question as " should we dump down the game to make it for the masses or focus on our core audiences? " you've forgotten the aging factor, a work of art isn't for printing money cause this business model definitely won't last forever, it happens at the cost of raging quits, or is it a work of art that cares about it's core audience, cause this sounds lasting much longer, no one accept contents at the hands of it's makers who think their audiences are stupid and will buy anything from us, this isn't acceptable and an unhealthy relationship that won't last forever.

Last edited:
Halo 2 was perfect Halo 3 was good but too many power ups like the bubble.Halo reach the jet pack and armour lock killed the game for me.

clarky

Gold Member
They kept changing what made halo fun.

Not really, the longer TTK and slower gameplay doesn't wash with todays audience. They tried to and had to change but failed.

Halos core gameplay is dated. But in a catch 22 if you change anything about Halo then it loses its identity.

They should have just put it to bed and gone all in on Destiny with Bungie

Spyxos

Gold Member
I loved Halo back then, but at some point it was just enough. But now that the series has been half-dead for quite a long time, it could make a major comeback. If the quality improves. And if people are still looking for this type of gameplay.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

Halo as a franchise in of itself could have been a lot bigger, if they made a motion picture out of it, when it was at its peak of popularity.....ie 2009 or 2010's but for the best part of 20 years it never happened, and it is likely to never happen, and it is a bit of a minor miracle that the TV-show got off the ground despite it not exactly being Microsoft's answer to The Mandalorian...

MagnesD3

Not really, the longer TTK and slower gameplay doesn't wash with todays audience. They tried to and had to change but failed.

Halos core gameplay is dated. But in a catch 22 if you change anything about Halo then it loses its identity.

They should have just put it to bed and gone all in on Destiny with Bungie
Todays audience is dumb tho, they are raised on twitch shooters and have no impulse control. I agree with you if you doing it for money but in terms of quality Halo is methodical and excellent still, however I do think it did need to evolve naturally, to me that would mean suit upgrades being power weapon esk map pickups, more interactable stage stuff and eventually timed map events that change the map during certain times of a match to change things up mid game.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Todays audience is dumb tho, they are raised on twitch shooters and have no impulse control. I agree with you if you doing it for money but in terms of quality Halo is methodical and excellent still, however I do think it did need to evolve naturally, to me that would mean suit upgrades being power weapon esk map pickups, more interactable stage stuff and eventually timed map events that change the map during certain times of a match to change things up mid game.
I still enjoy Halo myself, but it carries too much baggage with it to evolve. Theres a reason the COD formula largely remains unchanged, it works.

The skill gap in Halo is massive and why it finds itself unable to pick up any traction with todays audience.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

I still enjoy Halo myslef, but it carries too much baggage with it to evolve. Theres a reason the COD formula largely remains unchanged, it works.

The skill gap in Halo is massive and why it finds itself unable to pick up any traction with todays audience.
I love the fact in Halo you can get shot in the back and turn around and out play them if your a good player, one of the best feelings, but yes Im sure that feels like ass on the other end haha.

SHA

Few players get their hands on better guns than the rest, that sounds more of a cod thing than a halo thing, it's a different game, doesn't make either of them better than the other, some people dislikes that they've picked the wrong set of guns, Halo isn't like that unless people got blinded and thinked one game is superior to the other.

clarky

Gold Member
I love the fact in Halo you can get shot in the back and turn around and out play them if your a good player, one of the best feelings, but yes Im sure that feels like ass on the other end haha.
I like the map control, with the power weapon spawns. Something you don't get these days with BR's or modern COD.

But then again i play more COD than I do Halo these days so that says a lot coming from a 50 year old grumpy cunt.

Top Bottom