• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could have Sonic the Hedgehog been done on the SNES?

Status
Not open for further replies.
it was downright mind-blowing graphics back in 1994, boi

I vividly remember the shiny suit, the organic textured environments and the impossibly giant (for the time) bosses
Granted for the bosses, but even back then when I played it I thought that the game's look were not it's strong suit. The tiles don't look clean as if the game had less colors and variation on the screen than other SNES games.

The game has a very strong mood because of its soundtrack.

cireza

There are plenty of examples of Mode 7 being used creatively in games like Castlevania, Contra 3 and the super Star Wars games, to name just a few. Imagine how much smoother the special stages would have run on SNES.
Special stages in Sonic 2, 3 or 3D are perfectly smooth.

These Mode 7 effects all look the same. Rotating stuff, zooming stuff, or imitating a rotating cylinder. They also tend to pixelate a lot.
Mode 7 can't achieve the Sonic 2 or 3 special stages. Just watch Coding Secrets videos on youtube.

Knightime_X

To be fair there're tons of games that wouldn't look good on a genesis either.
It goes both ways.

Someone did a video where Mario mathematically ran just as fast as Sonic.
Wish I could find the video.
But i'm high key too lazy to bother looking.

Last edited:

AGRacing

The SNES was slowdown central ... i don't think it could do it exactly. Change some sprites and reduce objects maybe. I remember the SNES advertising a game about a unicycle in a pretty bare environment as being fast.

Blast processing to me was always referring to the RISC architecture and 68000 clockspeed which was a perceived advantage for the Genesis. The SNES seemed to have an advantage in the hardeare that handled onscreen color and sound.

But what was REALLY great is they both launched with hardware exclusive "launch titles" which were games you could play exclusively on that system during the launch window that showed off each of their respective capabilities. It was a lot different than today where we are just deciding which system to play Cyberpunk on.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Yeah I mean it's on the NES , plays really well and enjoyable. SNES should be able to handle it fine

Shit uses Master System assets... Kill it! Kill it with fire!!!

@thread
Sonic can't be done with the original code, but another could do close to it. Still, CPU on the Mega was way beyond the SNES, so...

Also, it's 2020 and this still is going on?! Bitch, please. Move on.

Faithless83

Banned
To be fair there're tons of games that wouldn't look good on a genesis either.
It goes both ways.

Someone did a video where Mario mathematically ran just as fast as Sonic.
Wish I could find the video.
But i'm high key too lazy to bother looking.

It's about how fast it could run while showing so much on the screen. Mario is a flat corridor with platforms.

Yeah I mean it's on the NES , plays really well and enjoyable. SNES should be able to handle it fine

Have you ever played sonic to compare this nes port to it? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Too many "Nintendo can do no wrong" people in here... geez.
To those who seem to have never touched a sonic game with a ten feet pole. Please show me a snes game that you could move this fast without custom chips:

buizel

Banned
It's about how fast it could run while showing so much on the screen. Mario is a flat corridor with platforms.

Have you ever played sonic to compare this nes port to it? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Too many "Nintendo can do no wrong" people in here... geez.
To those who seem to have never touched a sonic game with a ten feet pole. Please show me a snes game that you could move this fast without custom chips:

dude i posted a cool video of sonic on nes, lol so hostile

nintendo can do alot wrong im their biggest critic, nintendo haad nothing to do with an unlicensed chinese port of sonic 1 tho

yes obviously sonic 2/3 on MD are much much faster and slicker, i just havent seen any port of sonic to snes so im sure itd be slower.

Birdo

Banned
Megadrive fans are still repeating the 1991 argument.

All they have is the processor speed. Everythign else was weaker.

Significantly faster CPU clock, faster RAM, higher resolution, more sprites on screen etc... The simple fact is Nintendo has always been a conservative company and so they cheaped out on the SNES, deluded Nfans need to deal with it and let it go after all these years.

Unless you think launching 2 years later with significantly weaker hardware is somehow laudible?

As for the question at hand?: No, the SNES could not run Sonic (or Sonic 2/3) as is, at the same speed, with the same physics calculations, with the same number of enemies/assets on screen.

Could it potentially do some kind of approximation? Sure but it would be slower and gimped in various ways.

Faithless83

Banned
dude i posted a cool video of sonic on nes, lol so hostile

nintendo can do alot wrong im their biggest critic, nintendo haad nothing to do with an unlicensed chinese port of sonic 1 tho

yes obviously sonic 2/3 on MD are much much faster and slicker, i just havent seen any port of sonic to snes so im sure itd be slower.
You know what else can run Sonic? The Master System and the game gear, clearly the SNES could do it. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
No hostility man, you just compared the nes port to the genesis one.

Which lead to exclusive games on both side that the other couldn't pull off. Look at what Treasure archived in the genesis with Gunstar Heroes, Alien Soldier and others or ports like Flashback and Another World on both consoles. That's just to name a few.

Nintendo fans downplay the Genesis as hard as they can, but seem to forget the hardware was 2 years older and that the third parties back then were behind a paywall/exclusivity deals. Once that was over, well you know the history, right?

cireza

The MegaDrive effect actually looks much more detailed and smoother, as well as being faster, but to know this, you need to have played both games on the real hardware, on a CRT TV.

And this is pretty much the only usage of Mode 7 that really offered "new" gameplay possibilities.

SNES would have never been able to compute all the stuff seen in Outrun 2019 for example, so you are actually proving my point.

A SNES fan sees more colors and thinks the console is better in all aspects.

MD is an extremely capable machine for many reasons you totally ignore.

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
Okay, I'm going to have to pull the Sony defense card.......... Exclusives matter.

SNES: 49.10 Million Units sold.
Megadrive: 30.75 Million Units Sold.

I can't believe I'm still fighting this war thirty years later :messenger_grinning_smiling:

(Just for the record, I actually prefer the Megadrive Library. Just slightly)

Bankai

I was all about the megadrive/genesis back in the day. But the only things megadrive had over the SNES were a higher CPU clockspeed and the Yamaha soundchip (although the snes has awesome sound as well, just different).

SNES games often had more slowdown than genesis counterparts, because of the slower cpu.

so yeah, in theory the Sonic on SNES could’ve been worse.

Last edited:
iVCT7Cq.jpg

Last edited:

cireza

Anything on MD come close to this?

Sure (OMG the music :/)

And the console actually displays a ton of sprites at the same time, at a higher resolution. You might want to check the later stages as well.

Last edited:

Faithless83

Banned
Also, as a Test Drive II fan, the Megadrive version ran like shit.

The SNES TDII was so much smoother and faster.

Looks like this was due to hardware limitation... right? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Look at despite starting 22s later, the genesis version intro animation almost manages to catch up with the snes port.
That's one great example of the snes limitation here.

I do enjoy both and still have the both hooked to my TV. If I needed to choose just one based on games, genesis would take the crown, but I trully think they are complementary. Specially considering RPGs vs action games.

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
Sure.

And the console actually displays a ton of sprites at the same time, at a higher resolution. You might want to check the later stages as well.

There are some nice visual tricks in there. But it's all just flat textures and parallax scrolling.

buizel

Banned
You know what else can run Sonic? The Master System and the game gear, clearly the SNES could do it. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

yeah sorry im from UK the master system was popular here and that was my first introduction to sonic. i wouldnt play the mega drive version till maybe '94

Birdo

Banned
yeah sorry im from UK the master system was popular here and that was my first introduction to sonic. i wouldnt play the mega drive version till maybe '94

I actually prefer the gameplay of MS Sonic to MD Sonic. They rely more on design than speed.

Also, I'm cherry picking another video because it rules in my argument's favour:

cireza

I actually prefer the gameplay of MS Sonic to MD Sonic. They rely more on design than speed.

Also, I'm cherry picking another video because it rules in my argument's favour:

Mortal Kombat II on MegaDrive has much bigger sprites, higher resolution as usual, and is a great port overall.

Well, one of them did have this extra..... "Mode".
The other one has a capable hardware that allows you to make in software pretty much what you want. Maybe go and check the library a bit more... Many games make a great use of the MegaDrive and demonstrate how well built the console is. Later games are especially impressive.

Last edited:

buizel

Banned

Which lead to exclusive games on both side that the other couldn't pull off. Look at what Treasure archived in the genesis with Gunstar Heroes, Alien Soldier and others or ports like Flashback and Another World on both consoles. That's just to name a few.

Nintendo fans downplay the Genesis as hard as they can, but seem to forget the hardware was 2 years older and that the third parties back then were behind a paywall/exclusivity deals. Once that was over, well you know the history, right?

giphy.gif

this will never not impress me on the mega drive

i play it overclocked on wii and it runs like butter (same with snes 3d stuff). so awesome, and thats a boring gif from the game

Birdo

Banned
Mortal Kombat II on MegaDrive has much bigger sprites, higher resolution as usual, and is a great port overall.

It's famous for being so bad. The higher res character sprites couldn't make up for everything else (LOL The shadows).

Romulus

I still find it hilarious they ported Doom to the snes. The hardware wasn't even close to being able to run it. For the time it was still bad but amazing it ran as good as it did.

Birdo

Banned
I still find it hilarious they ported Doom to the snes. The hardware wasn't even close to being able to run it. For the time it was still bad but amazing it ran as good as it did.

SNES DOOM is one of the most impressive ports of all time. It may not be optimal, but it's certainly playable.

The funny thing is that is had far more content than the 32X version, which was missing an entire chapter, enemies, and weapon.

Romulus

I read several posts from software guys that stated the CPU numbers are unclear because it's an apples to oranges comparison about how both systems do things. If you just look at the numbers quickly, it appears Genesis was a clear cut winner, but there was more to it.

Genesis: 7.67 MHz
SNES: 2.68 MHz.

However, the Genesis’ 68000 CPU took 8 clock cycles to complete an instruction whereas the SNES’ 65C816 CPU took 2 or 3, depending.

7,670,000 / 8 = 958,750 instructions per second
2,680,000 / ~2.5 = 1,072,000 instructions per second

So, even though the Genesis’ CPU was faster, it took longer to complete a single instruction making the SNES equal, if not slightly faster in the long run.

Last edited:

tkscz

Okay, I'm going to have to pull the Sony defense card.......... Exclusives matter.

SNES: 49.10 Million Units sold.
Megadrive: 30.75 Million Units Sold.

I can't believe I'm still fighting this war thirty years later :messenger_grinning_smiling:

(Just for the record, I actually prefer the Megadrive Library. Just slightly)

That's because it was and still is the only console war that mattered and here's why

1. Gaming was still young and so were the majority of gamers
2. 4th gen had the MOST exclusives between the two consoles, and games that had the same title could be 100% different games (Aladdin is the prime example), so there was always something to argue over
3. Neither console was distinctly ahead of each other in sales, meaning AAA studios wouldn't just drop a console in the middle of the era (though the SNES eventually pulled ahead, not far enough ahead for devs to start dropping the genesis)
4. Hardware wise, there was no distinct winner on which one was the best, so to this day we get people still asking which one was more powerful

To this day none of the other generations meet that kind of criteria. Today most third party games are pretty much the same game other than one or two exclusive changes. even the following generation had a very distinct winner, so very few arguments could be had that doesn't end with how much more the PS1 sold than the N64 and Saturn, same goes with gen 6.

Faithless83

Banned
It's a really dumb argument. SNES had better software and the conversation kind of ends there.
I disagree, but I believe the 16bit era is more about what you prefer genre wise.
N64, GC, Wii and WiiU libraries on the other hand pale in comparison to their competitors.
Apart from switch and the portable space in general, last good Nintendo run was the SNES IMHO.

Banned
I disagree, but I believe the 16bit era is more about what you prefer genre wise.
N64, GC, Wii and WiiU libraries on the other hand pale in comparison to their competitors.
Apart from switch and the portable space in general, last good Nintendo run was the SNES IMHO.

there was almost no genre the SNES didn't have at least a very competent game of in its library.

meanwhile the MegaDrive had no real competition for Mario, Zelda or Metroid.
these games, especially their SNES iterations, are timeless classics that absolutely never aged and never will age.

I can't think of any genre where the SNES doesn't have a good game in but the MegaDrive does.

and I also can't think of any MegaDrive game that is close to the level of SMW, Super Metroid and A Link to the Past, not 1.

now add to that that basically every multiplatform game had superior versions on SNES, especially fighting games and ESPECIALLY especially if you didn't have a 6button pad.

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

The only genre where the Genesis outdoes the SNES is maybe Shmups. Beyond that, I can't think of a genre where SNES didn't have better games.

01011001 01011001 basically covered it.

Chupanibre

there was almost no genre the SNES didn't have at least a very competent game of in its library.

these games, especially their SNES iterations, are timeless classics that absolutely never aged and never will age.

I can't think of any genre where the SNES doesn't have a good game in but the MegaDrive does.

and I also can't think of any MegaDrive game that is close to the level of SMW, Super Metroid and A Link to the Past, not 1.

now add to that that basically every multiplatform game had superior versions on SNES, especially fighting games and ESPECIALLY especially if you didn't have a 6button pad.

Ehh... MegaDrive has my favorite version of Contra so your argument is moot

Faithless83

Banned

"a very competent game in every genre" could be applied to Genesis as well.
IMHO Shumps, arcade ports and beat'em ups were better on Genesis though.
I love Super Metroid, but I would choose 16bit Sonic over Mario any day.
I still have Zelda LttP on my backlog, so I can't say anything about it.
Beyond Oasis on Genesis was pretty fun, though.

" every multiplatform game had superior versions on SNES" I'll let that one slide for your sake. But I did post one multiplatform that wasn't superior on the SNES a few posts back. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
If you seriously want a list I could send you later.

This is Claymates on SNES.

EcgwX5w.gif
Ok guys, we have a SNES winner here. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
The background has like 5 elements in it though.

SpiceRacz

"a very competent game in every genre" could be applied to Genesis as well.
IMHO Shumps, arcade ports and beat'em ups were better on Genesis though.
I love Super Metroid, but I would choose 16bit Sonic over Mario any day.
I still have Zelda LttP on my backlog, so I can't say anything about it.
Beyond Oasis on Genesis was pretty fun, though.

" every multiplatform game had superior versions on SNES" I'll let that one slide for your sake. But I did post one multiplatform that wasn't superior on the SNES a few posts back. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
If you seriously want a list I could send you later.

Ok guys, we have a SNES winner here. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
The background has like 5 elements in it though.

You prefer Sonic over Mario? Mario World by itself is probably longer than Sonic 1 - Knuckles combined. I love Sonic, especially 1. Probably would be in my top games all time, but those games feel shallow in comparison.

I would also argue that Yoshi's Island and DKC2 are better than any Genesis Sonic game or any Genesis platformer for that matter.

Faithless83

Banned
You prefer Sonic over Mario? Mario World by itself is probably longer than Sonic 1 - Knuckles combined. I love Sonic, especially 1. Probably would be in my top games all time, but those games feel shallow in comparison.

I would also argue that Yoshi's Island and DKC2 are better than any Genesis Sonic game or any Genesis platformer for that matter.
I do, longer doesn't mean always mean better in my book. Sonic has exploration that no 16bit Mario games have. I'll give that Yoshi Island comes closer, but not enough. SMW flat platform levels, or auto scroll up platform levels. Zero exploration.
I think both are very different experiences and people should try to understand that first.

Sonic Mania praise was not because it reinvented the wheel, but that it improved what was already great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom