• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Court reinstates Tom Brady's 4 Game Suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
It's funny that bionic can't be here and do his thing making fun of Brady getting suspended because he is also suspended. Still, it would be better if he were here. Now it's just cdyhybrid and stinkles making jokes about uggs. Not great. Best thing so far is the guy who started off wondering if this could bode well for the Jets before shutting down his own premise in the same sentence. Someone must step up and fill the void!

Your scheme of acting like you don't even care is actually pretty good. I dunno where you can really take it, but it has promise.

They'll go 4-0. Brady is nothing but a system qb who rides the goat coach. Brady out for the season in his prime and they still went 11-5 with a joke qb. There's a reason Brady was a bad backup in hs, college, and should have gone undrafted.

Ahh, the old "so and so is just a system QB!" argument. The tell tale sign of a football noob.

Cornbread78

You seem to think that enforcing the contract that was bargained for by both sides until it expires is wrong in some way?

Interpretation of the Articles by 4 different judges has now been split 50/50 determining how much power Goodell actually should have. He should not have God mode powers and that is not what was collectively bargained for or else the PA wouldn't be wasting their time with the lawsuit.

Interpretation of the Articles by 4 different judges has now been split 50/50 determining how much power Goodell actually should have. He should not have God mode powers and that is not what was collectively bargained for or else the PA wouldn't be wasting their time with the lawsuit.
40 years those powers have been in the cba. Hopefully they finally do something about it. Only thing that matters is the judicial scoreboard, and they lost, regardless of what you think his powers "should" be.

Fwiw, I think goodell is a joke, the decision was based on nothing, and was a make up call based on inter owner politics. The cba is the cba though.

Raw64life

The actual punishment itself is kinda ridiculous but I'm glad that the cheater didn't get away with cheating. He cheated and it should be acknowledged that he is a cheat.

hom3land

The actual punishment itself is kinda ridiculous but I'm glad that the cheater didn't get away with cheating. He cheated and it should be acknowledged that he is a cheat.

Except he didn't cheat nor is there any proof that he did. So move along. Come back when you've actually read up on the case.

Does any one who has actually been following this actually think brady cheated? The ruling basically says that they upheld the suspension because it's a shit system but it's the one the nflpa agreed to

Clearos

As a miami fan I don't feel safe until Coach B is suspended as well. /s

To actually comment on the case, I think it is bull and the next CBA is going to get ugly with a potential strike. Pats go 3-1 during his suspension and 500 articles about how the patriots are playing pissed for the rest of regular season.

Bubba T

Agreed. Tom Brady and the Pats are a microcosm of everything wrong with 21st century America.

One of the reasons I've stepped back from following sports. They aren't out here saving lives, but the borderline worship sports figures get is asinine.

Dr Prob

Banned
Your scheme of acting like you don't even care is actually pretty good. I dunno where you can really take it, but it has promise.

You can't just invent a scheme, then ruminate on possible outcomes when there was no scheme to begin with! You're upset because I made fun of your uggs jokes from a decade ago. Fair enough, we all have our sensitivities, but in your lashing out here you've bungled out of line and possibly messed with the viability of any future schemes I didn't even know I wanted to maybe hatch until just now.

Also, I think we're supposed to have this in these threads:

A1i6QEn.gif

BadAss2961

lol. Putting a lot of faith in a QB who has never played a significant snap in the regular season. Brady makes that team click
The Patriots will still be good without him. They plug anyone in and find ways to make it work... Brady's last sub hadn't taken a significant snap in the regular season either. Hell, he didn't even take a significant snap in college, and he went on to make bank off that season he played.

They'll still own the Dolphins and Bills. Texans are meh.

Just got my text from WEEI...

This is gonna get ugly now.

You do realize that deflate gate has nothing to do with the review, correct? This has everything to do with the court saying Goodell can do whatever he wants, whenever he wants, however he wants and the players association can do nothing about it...

This really needs to be emphasized. This has nothing to do with whether Brady is a cheater. It's all about how much authority the commissioner and head of this employer (NFL) has in denying an employee the right to work and receive pay. Be careful of the precedent you want to set.

Stinkles

You can't just invent a scheme, then ruminate on possible outcomes when there was no scheme to begin with! You're upset because I made fun of your uggs jokes from a decade ago. Fair enough, we all have our sensitivities, but in your lashing out here you've bungled out of line and possibly messed with the viability of any future schemes I didn't even know I wanted to maybe hatch until just now.

Also, I think we're supposed to have this in these threads:

A1i6QEn.gif

I wanted more, but I'll accept it.

It applies to basketball too. Jordan was just a cog in the Jackson system. Pippen almost won the chip during the baseball year.
Do you about sports culture? (I'm an expert)

They'll go 4-0. Brady is nothing but a system qb who rides the goat coach. Brady out for the season in his prime and they still went 11-5 with a joke qb. There's a reason Brady was a bad backup in hs, college, and should have gone undrafted.

how do you commit these thoughts to paper?

vikki

Come next CBA, the NFLPA will surely try to strip the commissioner of this power, right? What are the chances players would strike over this? Would Gooddell be forced out if the players do strike because of this?

iLLmAtlc

The court opinions don't really help you understand if Brady did it or not because they were all about fairness and procedures. They never analyzed the actual decision about whether Brady was "guilty" or not, just if he was treated fairly.

Personally I think the district court and the dissenting opinion (i.e. 2 out of the 4 judges who heard it) were pretty convincing that Goodell arbitrarily decided to bury Brady. There's a lot of evidence for this and I don't think anybody could seriously refute it: i.e. ignoring the possibility of an 8k fine for using stickum on the football. Even the majority opinion was all "If Goodell did screw him he was perfectly permitted to by the CBA".

But I also think Brady totally was in on the scheme, so whatever.

rpg_fan

You do realize that none of what's happening at this point concerns whether or not Brady cheated, right? It's whether or not Goodell overstepped the cba, nothing else.

I mean, the pats have been cheating for years, but they let them keep the rings right? A couple slaps on the wrist for a fistful of rings seems a bargain. This battle however is ONLY about executive power and the cba.

MechDX

The Patriots will still be good without him. They plug anyone in and find ways to make it work... Brady's last sub hadn't taken a significant snap in the regular season either. Hell, he didn't even take a significant snap in college, and he went on to make bank off that season he played.

They'll still own the Dolphins and Bills. Texans are meh.

lol. Ok.

Patriot fans are truly spoiled at this point. When Brady is done it shall be glorious

Florist

Neo Member
Come next CBA, the NFLPA will surely try to strip the commissioner of this power, right? What are the chances players would strike over this? Would Gooddell be forced out if the players do strike because of this?

Wasn't this current cba signed at the end of a strike? The NFLPA will definitely strike over this issue. Shouldn't have signed it in the first place.

MooMilk2929

Glad he won't get away with it. What a cheater. He's even trying to lawyer his way out of the penalty. People know he did it tho, that won't change everyones minds.

Everyone knows he didn't do it (since the balls weren't deflated, there could be no conspiracy to deflate them), so this won't affect his reputation.

The only ones who will stick like glue (and not be punished for it) to the initial false reports are those who he had no reputation to lose with.

vikki

Glad he won't get away with it. What a cheater. He's even trying to lawyer his way out of the penalty. People know he did it tho, that won't change everyones minds.

Everyone knows he didn't do it (since the balls weren't deflated, there could be no conspiracy to deflate them), so this won't affect his reputation.

The only ones who will stick like glue (and not be punished for it) to the initial false reports are those who he had no reputation to lose with.

It seems everyone is just running with what they want to believe. As much as Brady's press conference wasn't convincing, there isn't any evidence that balls were deflated.

The Players Union agreed to those terms. The NFL was always going to win this eventually.

Brady should seriously just accept his cheater punishment because there's no way the Supreme Court is going to bother with this, nor should they.

Stinkles

The Players Union agreed to those terms. The NFL was always going to win this eventually.

Brady should seriously just accept his cheater punishment because there's no way the Supreme Court is going to bother with this, nor should they.

Especially right now with Obama's nomination blocked. You might end up with a 4/4
psi
split.

entremet

Not only that but the lawyer fees.

He's rich, yes. But good luck going against 31 billionaires.

Blue Lou

As soccer fan in Europe, it seems so odd to me that the US court would intervene in a sporting affair. Usually, the disagreements I come across in sports are settled by an arbitrator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom