• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Court reinstates Tom Brady's 4 Game Suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKJest

As soccer fan in Europe, it seems so odd to me that the US court would intervene in a sporting affair. Usually, the disagreements I come across in sports are settled by an arbitrator.
This isn't about a 4 game suspension. It's a matter of labor law. Think of the Bosman ruling as a comparable ruling from association football.

bionic77

This isn't about a 4 game suspension. It's a matter of labor law. Think of the Bosman ruling as a comparable ruling from association football.
Brady just wants to stall and is hoping that his best friend Donald Trump can become president later this year and fix all the problems with the Mexicans and the justice system in America.

Trump ruined the USFL in less than two years. I think President Trump and Tom Brady might be able to do it a little more efficiently with the NFL the second time around.

hom3land

As soccer fan in Europe, it seems so odd to me that the US court would intervene in a sporting affair. Usually, the disagreements I come across in sports are settled by an arbitrator.

That's how it was suppose to happen. But Goodell appointed himself as the arbitrator to judge on whether the ruling he made was fair. Suprise Goodell agreed with Goodell.. But also changed the whole reasoning for the suspension.. Which I don't think arbitrators can do.

vikki

That's how it was suppose to happen. But Goodell appointed himself as the arbitrator to judge on whether the ruling he made was fair. Suprise Goodell agreed with Goodell.. But also changed the whole reasoning for the suspension.. Which I don't think arbitrators can do.

Heard Olson on Mike & Mike this morning. They are going to see if the court will accept an appeal, it's not an appeal just yet?

Really, I learn something new about Deflategate every couple months. From what I understand, Brady's camp is running with Goodell changing the reason for the punishment from an equipment violation to actions deemed detrimental to the game. And when asked to specify why it was changed and what was detrimental to the game, Goodell gave no explanation. I don't know the CBA, so I don't know if that's allowed in arbitration.

phanphare

Banned
Tom Brady's legal team says it will appeal Deflategate ruling

On and on we go. This should have been over 15 months ago. We are literally one step away from a Supreme Court judge (Bader Ginsburg) getting involved, and Brady's new lawyer was formerly the freaking Solicitor General, Ted Olson.

glad brady is staying with this until the end. it'd be easy to just say "fuck it", take the 4 games, and have this shit be over with but I'm glad he's giving goodell the finger at every opportunity.

spyder_ur

Heard Olson on Mike & Mike this morning. They are going to see if the court will accept an appeal, it's not an appeal just yet?

I'm no legal expert, but from what I gather they have to ask for one which is reviewed by all 13 judges in the court, then if it is granted they have a full appeal hearing - I assume at this point we would be back to having the suspension postponed until the proceedings are over, which sounds like it could take months.

The chief judge of the court was the dissenting voice when they reinstated the suspension, so there is some reason to think they'll get one. Who knows though.

glad brady is staying with this until the end. it'd be easy to just say "fuck it", take the 4 games, and have this shit be over with but I'm glad he's giving goodell the finger at every opportunity.

Basically no choice at this point. Both sides have their heels dug in so deep that there's no turning back at this point. Even as a Patriots fan I have to say this is one of the most stunning displays of ego and stubbornness that's led us to the point where no real evidence of deflated footballs is one step from being addressed by a member of the Supreme Court.

Both sides (but primarily the NFL) should have been more receptive to negotiation; the fact that this may hang over another NFL season is nothing short of stunning.

hom3land

Really, I learn something new about Deflategate every couple months. From what I understand, Brady's camp is running with Goodell changing the reason for the punishment from an equipment violation to actions deemed detrimental to the game. And when asked to specify why it was changed and what was detrimental to the game, Goodell gave no explanation. I don't know the CBA, so I don't know if that's allowed in arbitration.

Deflategate has been an amazing story.. And if didn't happen to my team I would find it fascinating instead of being pissed. The way the NFL has handled themselves has been embarrassing. Planting false information to create a narrative ex. 11 of 12 balls extremely under pressure. Brady destroying his phone (even though he was told they wouldn't need it), relying on 1 instance from the previous season of the term deflator. Spending millions on an incompetent lab to research the air pressure of footballs.. Only for everyone from elementary school science projects to MIT professors prove them wrong. Like I said it's an amazing story that reeks of either organizational incompetence or organizational conspiracy.

hom3land

Totally agree.

Can never forgive him for burning all of the evidence of the Pats systematic cheating. He has been their biggest enabler.

Spygate.. Another example of the NFL creating their own narrative.

Miscellaneous Rules and Regulations, Section A. reads, “No video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches’ booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game.”

The league also cited a portion of section D against the Patriots. Section D reads, “To ensure the protection of equipment and employees of the teams’ video departments, please follow the guidelines listed for the video shooting booths at your stadium.”

The league quoted the first guideline against the Patriots, “All video shooting locations must be enclosed on all sides with a roof overhead.” The rules never prohibit filming coaches. The sections used against the Patriots only concern camera locations.

Anderson’s memo adds an emphasis on signals, which isn’t in the rules. Also, Anderson says that videotaping is prohibited from “any other locations accessible to club staff members.”

This isn’t in the rules either.

The rule mentions only three spots where teams can’t use video equipment during games—the coaches’ booth, the locker room, and the field. No rule bars teams from recording signals as long as they locate their cameras properly.

Despite this, Goodell and especially the media continue to portray signal taping as the problem when the only real issue is camera location.

And the tapes haven't all been destroyed.. Jay glazer has copies. Apparently it's a lot of zooming in on cheerleaders.

Roger Goodell’s handling of New England’s tapes worsened the controversy. Goodell originally intended to secure the tapes.

However, someone leaked them to Jay Glazer of Fox, and Fox showed portions on a pregame show. Goodell believed that if he secured the tapes and new copies emerged, it would prove that New England hadn’t turned over all their copies, paving the way for further punishment.

Also, despite believing the tapes provided little advantage, Goodell wanted to prevent New England and other teams from using them. So, when securing the tapes proved futile, Goodell destroyed them instead. Goodell’s arbitrary and pointless decision showed no appreciation for the tapes’ historical importance and a failure to foresee a predictable public reaction.

It didn’t even provide the security Goodell sought or aid any “cover-up” feared by fans because copies of the tapes survived Goodell’s decision. Jay Glazer of Fox still has his copies.

cdyhybrid

In the long and storied history of criminals that the NFL refused to appropriately punish, Tom Brady is quite possibly the worst of them all.

FTF

giphy.gif

bionic77

Spygate.. Another example of the NFL creating their own narrative.
And the tapes haven't all been destroyed.. Jay glazer has copies. Apparently it's a lot of zooming in on cheerleaders.
Yup. No cheating whatsoever guys.

The Pats and their fans told me so!

Lets pack this up and go home and stop putting asterisks next to all of their wins so everyone in New England can sleep tonight.

Brady is absolutely right to fight this and clear his name. He is 100% innocent. The only thing Brady is guilty of is being too sexy and having an absolutely fantastic taste in footwear.

The teams all agreed to the terms, I'm not sure what Brady is hoping to accomplish...

... well, maybe just pushing it off until he retires or something

spyder_ur

Patriots File Amicus Brief in Support of Tom Brady

This is pretty remarkable. The Patriots are basically arguing against their parent organization. Whatever the effect on this case, the aggressiveness and verbiage will no doubts have huge implications for the next labor talks.

Another take from ProFootballTalk

From the first sentence, the brief submitted by the Patriots cuts sharply against the league’s interests, arguing that the controversy “presents an issue of exceptional importance [relating to] the extent to which settled precedent and fundamental fairness operate as a check on the broad authority of arbitrators,” and that the existing ruling “threatens to undermine vital principles governing arbitration of collective bargaining agreements throughout the national economy.” The NFLPA surely is thrilled by that observation, especially with a fresh round of full-scale labor talks less than five years away.

In addition, another Amicus Brief was submitted by 21 physics and engineering professors, including ones from MIT, Michigan, Stanford, and Penn.

Patriots File Amicus Brief in Support of Tom Brady

This is pretty remarkable. The Patriots are basically arguing against their parent organization. Whatever the effect on this case, the aggressiveness and verbiage will no doubts have huge implications for the next labor talks.

Another take from ProFootballTalk

In addition, another Amicus Brief was submitted by 21 physics and engineering professors, including ones from MIT, Michigan, Stanford, and Penn.
I wonder if the Pats will be so in support of the players at the next cba negotiations when their golden boy is already retired and the players want a larger piece of the revenue.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Patriots and the NFLPA upset with the CBA that they both agreed to because they didn't like the outcome when someone got caught cheating. You can't make this up.

I'm curious what the ramifications would be if they start picking apart the CBA. Would they have to redo the entire document? Would all 32 owners have to agree?

BadAss2961

I see them going 3-1 even without Brady.

Arizona being the only loss.
Looking even better for them than I thought...
lol. Putting a lot of faith in a QB who has never played a significant snap in the regular season. Brady makes that team click
The Patriots will still be good without him. They plug anyone in and find ways to make it work... Brady's last sub hadn't taken a significant snap in the regular season either. Hell, he didn't even take a significant snap in college, and he went on to make bank off that season he played.

They'll still own the Dolphins and Bills. Texans are meh.
lol. Ok.

Patriot fans are truly spoiled at this point. When Brady is done it shall be glorious
Believe it yet? You go 2-0 only for these guys to shut you out with their 3rd string. There's no team that can lose a star QB and still win like this.
They'll go 4-0. Brady is nothing but a system qb who rides the goat coach. Brady out for the season in his prime and they still went 11-5 with a joke qb. There's a reason Brady was a bad backup in hs, college, and should have gone undrafted.

Pretty much. He's developed into a good QB over the years in this fortunate situation, but he's grossly overrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom