• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

FunkMiller

No more shots for me

I had covid, I had the shots, I’m good to go until the next pandemic. If they offer me a $10 gift card at Publix (like they used to do with the flu), I’ll get one, but other than that I’d prefer to get it naturally and have my body fight it, like I typically did during flu season.

Had a bit of fever with my first shot of AZ, but nothing with second, so I'll be fine to get jabbed again.

Apart from anything else, I'm used to getting all sorts of shit injected into me having travelled as much as I have. And I get the flu vaxx as well. I figure the amount of tracking microchips the government have injected me with over the years, they must all be cancelling each other out, because I haven't had my freedoms taken away from me once "lollipop_disappointed:

Last edited:

sinnergy

No more shots for me

I had covid, I had the shots, I’m good to go until the next pandemic. If they offer me a $10 gift card at Publix (like they used to do with the flu), I’ll get one, but other than that I’d prefer to get it naturally and have my body fight it, like I typically did during flu season.
Amen , We are done after our both shots we had.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
And another one after this one , and another and another , 🙌
Every 8 months from the looks of it.

I don't expect that many people to really want it more than annually, but for health care workers in group 1 who got their first shot in December, it's kind of silly to go to work every day and constantly take care of COVID positive patients when your immunity has dipped below 40%. Then in my free time I go to concerts multiple times a month, and eat out at least once weekly, and travel a couple times a year, and workout at a public gym 4x a week.

Getting the shot ASAP is an easy decision for me.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

And another one after this one , and another and another , 🙌
Some people gonna be like
iu

:p

Kilau

No more shots for me

Unless this surge ends real soon here in Florida I’ll line up for a booster. I got my second dose March 6th so I’m pretty close to 6 months out. I just hope I won’t need to drive out to the hospital and can get it at Publix.

RAÏSanÏa

I don't expect that many people to really want it more than annually,
That's where I'm at. Like most, I'm not exposed to COVID like healthcare workers, or even exposing vulnerable people to infection if my immunological defenses aren't optimized. Willing to wait for recommendations for boosters for the general public or updated vaccines for new variants.

I think he is referring to the Afghanistan thread being locked for being too political, then coming here and seeing the shit show this has turned into.

I mean this thread for a week now has just been blaming covid victims and pretending they are republicans. This has just turned into left wing clown world. We are down to some random guy on a NY subway now.
I know you are banned now but politics has been completely nuked on this site. I won't play the political party ball game but I only saw a few posters blaming all republicans and the person who called them out all got a lot of likes and support. I was one of them.

As for the "left-wing clown world" comment, I'm sorry we live in the reality of the efficacy of vaccines. This shouldn't even be a left vs right thing and that is the clown world part. There is very little to talk about at this point. People who don't want the vaccine won't get it, and the data continues to show it's safe and effective.

Last edited:
If the sides are as bad as the second shot I ain't doin it.
No more shots for me

Get ready to be shat upon by the good boys and girls. You take your shots and you like it. Every single one until Daddy Fauci tells you its safe again.

I will get a booster shot in the Fall if it's available to me because the delta variant is running wild in my state. After that, I can’t imagine getting more shots unless we see another crazy wave.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Get ready to be shat upon by the good boys and girls. You take your shots and you like it. Every single one until Daddy Fauci tells you its safe again.
I can't tell if you are just joking or if you really think that most vaccinated people give two turds what Fauci has to say.

Ulysses 31

So were here parents vaccinated or not?
The only information that matters
How so?

You can still die from COVID after vaccination like recently in some Belgian nursing home.
"It is worrisome," Van Ranst said, commenting on the fact that the residents died despite being fully vaccinated against COVID-19.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
How so?

You can still die from COVID after vaccination like recently in some Belgian nursing home.
Yes but the risk is much lower to the vaccinated than the unvaccinated. It is still the best way to protect yourself and others.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
How so?

Here’s the thing - after a certain age you can die of virtually sneezing the wrong shit. It’s not a linear progression, it’s literally:
Age 60: all is fine
Age 70: die to a common cold

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Every 8 months from the looks of it.

I don't expect that many people to really want it more than annually, but for health care workers in group 1 who got their first shot in December, it's kind of silly to go to work every day and constantly take care of COVID positive patients when your immunity has dipped below 40%. Then in my free time I go to concerts multiple times a month, and eat out at least once weekly, and travel a couple times a year, and workout at a public gym 4x a week.

Getting the shot ASAP is an easy decision for me.
Yeah I'll be getting my booster. Doesn't mean that it will be every 8 months, hopefully this will be the last. Could be like tetanus where you need a booster every 4 years or so, could be like hep B where the third dose is your last. We'll just have to see.

Punished Miku

Yeah I'll be getting my booster. Doesn't mean that it will be every 8 months, hopefully this will be the last. Could be like tetanus where you need a booster every 4 years or so, could be like hep B where the third dose is your last. We'll just have to see.
True, I guess we'll see as time goes on and they keep studying. I think the articles are at least speculating that it's 6-12 months like the flu shot.

Aesius

How will vaccine requirements for public/private amenities/services work when we're at, say, the 4th or 5th booster? Will people who just got their initial shots but haven't gotten any boosters, or even the most current booster, essentially be "unvaccinated" at that point in regards to being granted entry/access to those places and services?

Punished Miku

How will vaccine requirements for public/private amenities/services work when we're at, say, the 4th or 5th booster? Will people who just got their initial shots but haven't gotten any boosters, or even the most current booster, essentially be "unvaccinated" at that point in regards to being granted entry/access to those places and services?
Probably will just be an annual shot like the flu shot everywhere else. After a year, you would likely be considered unvaccinated by any policy mandating a vaccine.

I'm speculating, but that's my best guess.

Last edited:
It will be fun when you scan your vaccine ID and it says you need to upgrade your covid vaccination status to qualify for these services.

Last edited:

Aesius

Probably will just be an annual shot like the flu shot everywhere else. After a year, you would likely be considered unvaccinated by any policy mandating a vaccine.

I'm speculating, but that's my best guess.
Seems like it will be doomed to failure then. It's going to be tough to get high levels of compliance with each new booster. Eventually we'll be at flu shot levels, which has been as low as 37% in the U.S. in recent years. Hard to imagine businesses going along with that knowing how much money they would lose.

Punished Miku

Seems like it will be doomed to failure then. It's going to be tough to get high levels of compliance with each new booster. Eventually we'll be at flu shot levels, which has been as low as 37% in the U.S. in recent years. Hard to imagine businesses going along with that knowing how much money they would lose.
Most hospitals mandate the flu shot every year, or you have to wear a mask. It's an extremely smooth process typically. I imagine it'll be pretty much the same thing.

Aesius

Most hospitals mandate the flu shot every year, or you have to wear a mask. It's an extremely smooth process typically. I imagine it'll be pretty much the same thing.
Hospitals aren't all of society, though. Interest in/compliance with boosters will fall off a cliff after the 3rd or 4th one comes along.

Punished Miku

Hospitals aren't all of society, though. Interest in/compliance with boosters will fall off a cliff after the 3rd or 4th one comes along.
Other employers can run their businesses in the same way hospitals run their employees. That seems to be the bulk of what we're seeing in these early days is employee mandates. Frankly, that would be infinitely easier than trying to card people at restaurants and other nonsense. Employers already have all your info anyway and track everything from your health insurance to your taxes.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
That would depend on how well they work. The future is still uncertain and lots of things can change. Maybe the next iteration of the vaccines will be super effective against Delta, and that combined with a widespread global rollout will eliminate it from our population. On the other end of the spectrum, maybe a new variant emerges that is even more infectious than Delta, and also different enough that our vaccines prove ineffective against it.

We don't know, which is why continued testing and study is important. Right now, we have already completed lots of research that says our current vaccines are about 40%-80% effective at preventing delta infection, and 90%+ effective at preventing hospitalization and death. Preliminary research out of Israel is suggesting that the boosters are having a positive effect.

Once new vaccines are developed or new variants emerge, there will need to be additional tests done to see how long the vaccine protection lasts and if boosters are necessary, and if so at what interval. There's so many things we don't know yet, which is why it's important to figure it out.

Once a clearer picture emerges due to data, then the recommendations can be set. Until then, we're doing the best we can with the data and tools available to us now.

Top Bottom