• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

That was a harsh way to put it, but seeing scenes like this one can understand where he's coming from.

That’s the job. We have had addicts OD, they get out of the hospital and they come back a week later in cardiac arrest from another OD. We have frequent flyer diabetics who don’t manage their sugar despite losing limbs. We have repeat COPD patients, on oxygen, who come in with their nasal cannula stained brown from cigarette smoke (smoking while wearing O2 is insanely dangerous). It goes on and on.

These unvaccinated covid patients are no worse than any of those people.

Last edited:

Chankoras

That’s the job. We have had addicts OD, they get out of the hospital and they come back a week later in cardiac arrest from another OD. We have frequent flyer diabetics who don’t manage their sugar despite losing limbs. We have repeat COPD patients, on oxygen, who come in with their nasal cannula stained brown from cigarette smoke (smoking while wearing O2 is insanely dangerous). It goes on and on.

If you don't mind me asking, how been your experience as a health care professionals during the pandemic?

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion

There is a clear difference though that you seem to be intentionally missing. Someone avoiding a vaccination does not have an addiction or a medical condition.

They are just being ignorant and stubborn. Their situation is easily resolved for free. Those other examples are not.

If you don't mind me asking, how been your experience as a health care professionals during the pandemic?
We were exceptionally busy from the beginning of November until the end of January. It was challenging during that time. Beyond that, it has been a consistent stream of patients, but manageable. I’ve worked in critical care for six years, so while the volume has been higher at times, I have seen all this before. Intubations, ECMO, CRRT. Because I was already comfortable with all that, the only issues I’ve personally had is managing to stress of the increase in numbers. Honestly it was scarier at the beginning when we all thought we were going to die because covid was supposed to be deadly like SARS.

There is a clear difference though that you seem to be intentionally missing. Someone avoiding a vaccination does not have an addiction or a medical condition.

They are just being ignorant and stubborn. Their situation is easily resolved for free. Those other examples are not.
Because the difference is irrelevant, in my opinion. You think diabetics who refuse to modify their diets aren’t ignorant and stubborn? Imagine when they throw a fit because they want a real soda instead of the diet. Huge segments of the population are ignorant and stubborn. That’s not exclusive to unvaccinated people.

What bothers me is the cherry picking. So because it’s harder to lose weight or kick drugs, that’s some kind of excuse? Are we going to shit on people who don’t take care of themselves or just the ones that fit into the little box you’ve constructed?

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
That was a harsh way to put it, but seeing scenes like this one can understand where he's coming from.

and he knows that. he's coping to the situation in his own way just like we all are. and I get what he's saying, as a health care worker you are literally and figuratively breaking your back for people who care little about their own health, so this is no different. where the line is crossed for me however is when children can't get a bed in a pediatric icu because of something that was wholly preventable. just wish people had more shame ಠ︵ಠ but ultimately I don't blame them. nobody does anything against their own interests on purpose

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Because the difference is irrelevant, in my opinion. You think diabetics who refuse to modify their diets aren’t ignorant and stubborn?
Of course they are being ignorant and stubborn. But once again refusing to take a vaccination is not the same as having diabetes or having an addiction. Intentional ignorance is not a medical condition.

People who are refusing to vaccinate are not suffering from a addiction or a medical illness. So they do not fall into the same category as any of the people that you listed regardless of what your "opinion" is on the matter. A person who has diabetes has to radically alter their lifestyle and the same goes for anyone else who has a legitimate medical condition or severe addiction of some kind. Meanwhile someone who is stubbornly refusing to take their vaccination can go to their local grocery store or drug store right now and take the vaccination for free and without hassle.

They are just fundamentally different situations regardless of whether or not you choose to acknowledge it.

Last edited:

Chankoras

We were exceptionally busy from the beginning of November until the end of January. It was challenging during that time. Beyond that, it has been a consistent stream of patients, but manageable. I’ve worked in critical care for six years, so while the volume has been higher at times, I have seen all this before. Intubations, ECMO, CRRT. Because I was already comfortable with all that, the only issues I’ve personally had is managing to stress of the increase in numbers. Honestly it was scarier at the beginning when we all thought we were going to die because covid was supposed to be deadly like SARS.
and he knows that. he's coping to the situation in his own way just like we all are. and I get what he's saying, as a health care worker you are literally and figuratively breaking your back for people who care little about their own health, so this is no different. where the line is crossed for me however is when children can't get a bed in a pediatric icu because of something that was wholly preventable. just wish people had more shame ಠ︵ಠ but ultimately I don't blame them. nobody does anything against their own interests on purpose
Thank you both for the input, what I get from this is you both care about the people.

Toons

Stuffing your body with fast food is a choice. It affects you and only you in a physical sense.

You cannot choose to partake or not partake in the virus, and you can't choose who you spread it to once you have it either unless you're very lucky.

They are not the same.

Last edited:

Jaysen

Banned
Screen_Shot_2021-08-15_at_8.32.17_PM.png

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Interesting tidbit about which vaccination plan gives you the most antibodies and immune response.

If you haven't caught COVID yet, however, don't think that this is a recommendation to go and get it in order to confer immunity. The whole point of vaccination driven immunity is so that you don't have to get COVID in the first place.

Remember that you also want to avoid the organ damage that covid can bring.

Anti vaxxers don’t have the ability to do risk assessments because they are only concerned about the politics of it is. But this isn’t simple matter like circumcised vs uncircumcised.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Fully vaccinated people in UK no longer need to self-isolate if they're told to by the app

To be fair, I think a vast majority of us haven’t been self isolating anyway! The pingdemic reached absolutely farcical proportions. But this pretty much marks the official end of anyone without a serious medical condition isolating in the U.K.

JumpMan1981

Banned

I was going to say this but I already knew people would have a terrible rebuttal so what's the point?

The idea that healthcare workers would say to a patient "it's your own fault" and then just leave them to it or even the suggestion that they ought to do that is ridiculous.

This really, really, seems to be an American thing right now.

Throughout the pandemic I don't think I have really seen 100% mask compliance anywhere. The only time I've seen people going apeshit over it seems to be Americans on social media screaming at each other about masks in the supermarket etc. Or "witty" signs about masks and shit. I am fine wearing a mask indoors but not fussed if other people don't want to wear one.

As far as restrictions go, besides being forced to work from home, we haven't really obeyed anything at all. First few weeks we were freaked out but our family and social circle just improvised. Drinks at the house instead of pubs, get the garden done up for summer, movie nights, football etc. The only real difference was not socializing at restaurants and bars. Anyone who didn't want to come was left alone.

Now we even have the same thing with vaccines.
If "someone" wanted to go to Greece for a nice vacation in a couple of weeks then all they would need is their EU Digital Covid Certificate and to fill out a Passenger Locator Form.
Does the certificate mean you are vaccinated? Actually no.
You can get the certificate so long as you have a negative test.
You can also get it if you have had covid and recovered within the last 180 days.

So over here you have freedom to travel etc with just a negative test.
I think it has to be within 72 hours of travel but I'm vaxxed so don't know for sure, I got the certificate less than 24 hours after my 2nd dose.

It's just seems to be the US where people are properly losing their minds over this?
Or is it more of an Internet thing?

Last edited:

JumpMan1981

Banned
To be fair, I think a vast majority of us haven’t been self isolating anyway! The pingdemic reached absolutely farcical proportions. But this pretty much marks the official end of anyone without a serious medical condition isolating in the U.K.

Do you think the UK will have a lockdown again during the winter?
I was watching the Premiership games at the weekend and it's awesome that they have full crowds now but you have to wonder if there will be something coming down the line.

MilkyJoe

I was watching the Premiership games at the weekend and it's awesome that they have full crowds now but you have to wonder if there will be something coming down the line.

I don't think so, it'll probably be masks in supermarkets and on trains again, but I don't think they'd be daft as to try and cancel Christmas 2 years in a row, and expect people to comply.

jason10mm

Gold Member
You should see the blatant stuff they used to use. Check out this shit.
mUAyjxe.jpg

tTWE2Fu.jpg

Imagine the kind of utopian government we could have had if people had the balls to stand up and fight back against this propoganda.
They put a whole bunch of Americans in camps back then as well, you advocating we start doing that as well?

Of course they are being ignorant and stubborn. But once again refusing to take a vaccination is not the same as having diabetes or having an addiction. Intentional ignorance is not a medical condition.

People who are refusing to vaccinate are not suffering from a addiction or a medical illness. So they do not fall into the same category as any of the people that you listed regardless of what your "opinion" is on the matter. A person who has diabetes has to radically alter their lifestyle and the same goes for anyone else who has a legitimate medical condition or severe addiction of some kind. Meanwhile someone who is stubbornly refusing to take his vaccination can go to their local grocery store or drug store right now and take the vaccination for free and without hassle.

They are just fundamentally different situations regardless of whether or not you choose to acknowledge it.
No, they are, at their core, all people making poor choices which end up leading to hospitalization. You are making excuses for people with disease refusing to manage their disease properly. It’s not like type 2 diabetes just drops out of the sky. It’s the result of years of poor eating habits. It’s not like drug addicts just woke up one day fiending for heroin. Fat people didn’t wake up fat with all the health consequences associated with a BMI over 35.

You are making excuses for a mountain of poor choices in order to separate out a specific group of people for making one specific poor health choice. And all so you and your pals in here can continue to look down your nose at people and scoff at their suffering while still feeling good about yourselves.

Last edited:

sinnergy

Who knows , WHO at least is warning that a vaccine evading strain is a possibility..

None have a time machine , and COVID is still not completely known by science, also not how long vaccines protect for all ages .

Last edited:
Who knows , WHO at least is warning that a vaccine evading strain is a possibility..

None have a time machine , and COVID is still not completely known by science, also not how long vaccines protect for all ages .

the government have made quite a deal about the roadmap being irreversible so will be interesting to see their messaging on any sign we go back to start of the journey

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Nope. See no reason for it, unless some new variant came along that dodged the vaccine.

Has to be said, covid doesn’t feel like it’s much of a consideration here anymore. We’re well used to it, cases have plateaued, and deaths remain low. Without another large change in the status quo, it does feel like we’re past the worst, given how great our vaccine program has been.

Last edited:

Droxcy

Fully vaccinated people in UK no longer need to self-isolate if they're told to by the app

UK went from getting torn apart by COVID to tackling it and normalizing again and I’m jealous because California is still slugging behind.

Just last week Gorillaz played to a full house at The 02 and it looked amazing.

Ichabod

Banned
Stuffing your body with fast food is a choice. It affects you and only you in a physical sense.

You cannot choose to partake or not partake in the virus, and you can't choose who you spread it to once you have it either unless you're very lucky.

They are not the same.

I wish I could tell that my shoulder. Beyond the hefty financial burden bariatric patients present for our healthcare system (take a look at the yearly costs the CDC publishes), they also contribute to healthcare worker injuries no matter how safely we work. I got off lucky with a shoulder that pops and requires tylenol every now and then. I know nurses who have suffered everything from back injuries to torn rotator cuffs. The stress on our bodies catches up to us sooner or later all you can do is try to minimize your risk of getting hurt.

I know the risks associated with obesity, I educate patients weekly on the risks of obesity, but at the end of the day, if they choose to ignore that advice, they'll continue to tax the healthcare system as well as pose a risk for injuring a healthcare worker caring for them. Not once have I ever thought, you know what, "someone needs to make a law to force these people to lose weight."

Loki

Count of Concision
Would be nice if all countries reported similarly to the UK

D3NL7Rv.png

A bit surprised why cfr is lower on unvaccinated under 50 than on vaccinated under 50. On the other hand, over 50 it's working as expected.

Yes, the clear, concise manner of presentation shames the data the US CDC/NIH ae putting out, which at this point appear to be intentially obfuscatory. What do "inclusion" and "exclusion" mean in this context? Does "inclusion" mean that they are including folks who then went on to the next "category" (e.g., presented to emergency care and then ended up staying overnight as an inpatient) whereas "exclusion" refers to only those who ONLY fell into one of these particular categories (e.g. presented to emergency care but didn't stay overnight)?

PSA: Based on the above, the IFR for Delta for those under 50 years of age who are unvaccinated is 0.0325%. Which means that 1 of every 3076 people who catch it will die (and bear in mind that the rate likely sharply increases as one approaches 50 - so for, say, 30-40 year olds, the IFR is likely far less than even this already absurdly low number). CALL THE COPS! MANDATE VACCINES! ABROGATE ALL RIGHTS FORTHWITH! CUE COMPLETELY INCONGRUENT OVERREACTIONS!!!!!11

Last edited:
PSA: Based on the above, the IFR for Delta for those under 50 years of age who are unvaccinated is 0.0325%. Which means that 1 of every 3076 people who catch it will die (and bear in mind that the rate likely sharply increases as one approaches 50 - so for, say, 30-40 year olds, the IFR is likely far less than even this already absurdly low number). CALL THE COPS! MANDATE VACCINES! ABROGATE ALL RIGHTS FORTHWITH! CUE COMPLETELY INCONGRUENT OVERREACTIONS!!!!!11

have you told your local epidemiologists that younger people are less likely to die of Covid? it seems like you've stumbled on something revelatory and it would be a shame to confine it to just this forum

thefool

Yes, the clear, concise manner of presentation shames the data the US CDC/NIH ae putting out, which at this point appear to be intentially obfuscatory. What do "inclusion" and "exclusion" mean in this context? Does "inclusion" mean that they are including folks who then went on to the next "category" (e.g., presented to emergency care and then ended up staying overnight as an inpatient) whereas "exclusion" refers to only those who ONLY fell into one of these particular categories (e.g. presented to emergency care but didn't stay overnight)?

Check the footnotes on the report. It's explained there.

have you told your local epidemiologists that younger people are less likely to die of Covid? it seems like you've stumbled on something revelatory and it would be a shame to confine it to just this forum

If you read the table you'll understand why those numbers are worrisome. And that's not the conclusion you should take from it on the under 50 group. The revelatory aspect is that vaccinated, under 50, infected died at an higher rate than unvaccinated, under 50, infected.

Check the footnotes on the report. It's explained there.

If you read the table you'll understand why those numbers are worrisome. And that's not the conclusion you should take from it on the under 50 group. The revelatory aspect is that vaccinated, under 50, infected died at an higher rate than unvaccinated, under 50, infected.

I wasn’t replying to someone who found the numbers “worrisome” so keep up with the conversation

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Not exactly that worrisome the opposite really. They are two very different populations - the good news is that the death rate in the unvaccinated is so low.

FireFly

Would be nice if all countries reported similarly to the UK

A bit surprised why cfr is lower on unvaccinated under 50 than on vaccinated under 50. On the other hand, over 50 it's working as expected.
That's the CFR (for emergency care visits), not the IFR, though. If for example only the vaccinated with pre-existing conditions will be likely to require emergency care – while "healthy" unvaccinated people under 50 are much more vulnerable to hospitalisation– then the population of vaccinated individuals in emergency care may be much "sicker" and more likely to die. When you compare two populations, you need to make sure their characteristics are the same.

I wasn’t replying to someone who found the numbers “worrisome” so keep up with the conversation
It’s great you were here to instill the proper amount of worry in him then. What a public servant. Just fostering worry in unworried people. Give yourself a pat on the back.

Last edited:
Top Bottom