• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

thefool

That's the CFR (for emergency care visits), not the IFR, though. If for example only the vaccinated with pre-existing conditions will be likely to require emergency care – while "healthy" unvaccinated people under 50 are much more vulnerable to hospitalisation– then the population of vaccinated individuals in emergency care may be much "sicker" and more likely to die. When you compare two populations, you need to make sure their characteristics are the same.

It isn't tho (for emergency care only). I also misinterpreted initially, you can see the total cases by variant on page 3 are the same as the total in the table I posted:

RuL5Jz1.png

It wouldn't even make sense because then the real cfr would be even lower. The data you mentioned is on the other lines (cases with er care visit, overnight inpatient admission, etc.)

These are random samples sent to the whole-genome sequencing genotype labs and followed up.

EDIT:
YmeYzOl.png

This is how they sample ^^

Last edited:

FireFly

It isn't tho (for emergency care only). I also misinterpreted initially, you can see the total cases by variant on page 3 are the same as the total in the table I posted:

RuL5Jz1.png

It wouldn't even make sense because then the real cfr would be even lower. The data you mentioned is on the other lines (cases with er care visit, overnight inpatient admission, etc.)

These are random samples sent to the whole-genome sequencing genotype labs and followed up.

EDIT:
YmeYzOl.png

This is how they sample ^^
Ok, you're right. The difference might not be statistically significant though, since the difference between the CFRs of both samples, will have an expected variance (when you take two samples from the population, 95% of the time the difference between them will fall within a given range X). We would need a statistician to apply a model to the data to figure out if the CFR difference is in the region where the probability of it occurring due to chance is <5%.

thefool

The difference might indeed not be statistically that relevant, even so this isn't a discussion that we should be having. The rates should be very different, just like in the age group over 50.

Last edited:
Assigning a single attribute to a group of people is called Bigotry.

Try and be a less shitty person.

Life is not always US vs Them

Handwringing nonsense.

They did all the wrong things.

That’s some strong ass oppositional defiant toddler disorder, for which during covid season is entirely politically led by republicans.

And I’m a Republican, I’m just not a moron. I know over 30 Republican morons who got covid while sprouting their anti mask/distance/vaccine shit all over fb only for half of them to get their asses whooped by covid. At least they all survived, some with post covid lung damage in tact.

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
Other countries like Canada aren’t polarized between right and left on the pandemic or vaccines. The conservative government here in Ontario had some of the longest lockdowns. There's some polarization around freedom of choice, etc but the only politicians mirroring the US are Peoples Party of Canada and they received 0 seats in the last election.

RAÏSanÏa

Other countries like Canada aren’t polarized between right and left on the pandemic or vaccines. The conservative government here in Ontario had some of the longest lockdowns. There's some polarization around freedom of choice, etc but the only politicians mirroring the US are Peoples Party of Canada and they received 0 seats in the last election.
For the most part it isn't as polarized. There is still some confusion from parties due to politics. Vaccines are safe, that is accepted and well known. Only some parties and people make rules of protection for the privileged and leave the public vulnerable.

Like the leader of another party making mandatory vaccination rules that protect themselves from antivaxxers while simultaneously undermining mandatory vaccination rules protecting others in the general population from the same threat.

The good takeaway is that vaccines are being shown to be safe and should be mandatory and these leaders know that. However, they unfortunately have to appeal to their antivaxxer base and that stance being in the open is a good thing. It shows a very good reason not to let them have control of federal public health legislation and the pandemic response. The message is they'll look out for themselves and let everyone else have to deal with antivaxxers.

Keihart

Why people don't give a fuck? if that was over here (and we are considered kinda timid ) a mob would have jumped him to defend the lady.
When people are publicly assholes to someone, there is very little tolerance in crowded places.

I guess NYC people are only loud when they want to complain but look the other way when shit like this happens.

Last edited:
Why people don't give a fuck? if that was over here (and we are considered kinda timid ) a mob would have jumped him to defend the lady.
When people are publicly assholes to someone, there is very little tolerance in crowded places.

I guess NYC people are only loud when they want to complain but look the other way when shit like this happens.
Because that's a good way of getting shot or stabbed. Are you going to risk your own health because some asshole is yelling at somebody else? If he started getting physical with her I guarantee somebody jumps in but yeah anything less I'm not touching it.

Keihart

Because that's a good way of getting shot or stabbed. Are you going to risk your own health because some asshole is yelling at somebody else? If he started getting physical with her I guarantee somebody jumps in but yeah anything less I'm not touching it.
Forgot that everyone and their mother has guns in NA.

Kilau

Forgot that everyone and their mother has guns in NA.
Not everyone and New Yorkers are rather notorious for ignoring stuff that wouldn’t be tolerated in other places. Not to mention it wasn’t very long ago a Good Samaritan was murdered trying to stop one of these assholes harassing someone.

There is absolutely no good reason to behave like that so it’s best to assume they are unhinged and it’s only going to escalate.

Side note: The internet has already identified him and he is likely unemployed now.

Izumar

Banned
Wtf this thread is about Covid not fucking Afghanistan. Go talk about it elsewhere if you really want to
I think he is referring to the Afghanistan thread being locked for being too political, then coming here and seeing the shit show this has turned into.

I mean this thread for a week now has just been blaming covid victims and pretending they are republicans. This has just turned into left wing clown world. We are down to some random guy on a NY subway now.

Sad sack of shit of a forum these days.

US is going to completely withdraw from Afghanistan after 20 years? And this site ignores it? It’s fuckin history you dipshits.

I am out.
giphy.gif

I think he is referring to the Afghanistan thread being locked for being too political, then coming here and seeing the shit show this has turned into.

I mean this thread for a week now has just been blaming covid victims and pretending they are republicans. This has just turned into left wing clown world. We are down to some random guy on a NY subway now.
tenor.gif

RAÏSanÏa

FunkMiller

This right here is insanity:

...but it's an insanity borne out of a fucking horrible vaccine roll out. Only 17% of New Zealanders are fully vaccinated, well over a year into vaccines being available for procurement. It's also borne out of an idiotic, scientifically ignorant, wishful thinking filled strategy of retaining zero covid.

Everyone loves to jizz over Jacinda, because she does an awful lot of things well. This is something she's done appallingly - much like her Australian counterparts.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

This right here is insanity:

...but it's an insanity borne out of a fucking horrible vaccine roll out. Only 17% of New Zealanders are fully vaccinated, well over a year into vaccines being available for procurement. It's also borne out of an idiotic, scientifically ignorant, wishful thinking filled strategy of retaining zero covid.

Everyone loves to jizz over Jacinda, because she does an awful lot of things well. This is something she's done appallingly - much like her Australian counterparts.

Level 4 New Zealand

Kiwis will be plunged into lockdown tonight for three days while Auckland and the Coromandel Peninsula would likely remain at level 4 for seven days.
Here's what level four means for you.
Level four - dubbed the "eliminate" phase - means people must stay at home in their bubbles - travelling out only for essential personal movement.

Essential reasons for leaving the home briefly included:
• a physical exercise in your neighbourhood
• visiting the supermarket, dairy or pharmacy
• Necessary medical care or getting a test

Level 4 measures
• People are instructed to stay at home in their bubble other than for essential personal movement
• Safe recreational activity is allowed in local area
• Travel is severely limited
• All gatherings are cancelled and all public venues are closed
• Businesses are closed except for essential services, such as supermarkets, pharmacies, clinics, petrol stations and lifeline utilities
• Educational facilities are closed
• Rationing of supplies and requisitioning of facilities is possible
• Reprioritisation of healthcare services

I appreciate their responsiveness. If this was a do or die they're doing amazing.
They'll have to eventually switch to an endemic mode if they ever wish to not shut most everything down over a single case.
Still, for their current plan to work it would require widespread public participation. If the public is onboard for the temporary measures then that's the impacts they're willing to bear for living without restrictions the rest of the time.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service

Looks like I'll probably be getting offered a booster in about 4 weeks.

arnold schwarzenegger predator GIF

Last edited:

Sakura

If the sides are as bad as the second shot I ain't doin it.

Kev Kev

No more shots for me

I had covid, I had the shots, I’m good to go until the next pandemic. If they offer me a $10 gift card at Publix (like they used to do with the flu), I’ll get one, but other than that I’d prefer to get it naturally and have my body fight it, like I typically did during flu season.

sinnergy

And another one after this one , and another and another , 🙌

Top Bottom