• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid scare aka wear the fucking mask.

Jtibh

Banned
Yeah yeah, but then again, I have to eat imuno supressants, so this healthy lifestyle, does not really help me. Sure you are right for most people this is where it's at, however for me, that simply does not work like that. I am intentionaly crippled so I can live.
Is your situatuin permanent?
I feel for you man.
You see i had heart surgery but u already know that. Yet after a hard year of recovery i am in best shape of my life. And i have no issues. I work out all the time i do a lot of moving eat my vitamins etc.

How is it for you and what does the future hold for you?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
If I were you I would just wear PPE religiously in public spaces and try to limit physical contact with things that are high traffic like hand rails and doors. I’ve always kind of done that anyway. Otherwise I would still get some sun and exercise at a level you feel capable, even a walk in the sun every day is awesome self care.
Yeah that's what I am doing, actually I wore mask since May of 2019, when I left the hospital, so for me it's just part of my life, it's such a strange feeling that others wearing the mask too.

Is your situatuin permanent?
I feel for you man.
You see i had heart surgery but u already know that. Yet after a hard year of recovery i am in best shape of my life. And i have no issues. I work out all the time i do a lot of moving eat my vitamins etc.

How is it for you and what does the future hold for you?
Yeah sadly it is, with transplant you at least have to take something which prevents your body from killing that organ. I have very very mild dose, at 4mg of Tacrolimus, normal dose is 18mg and many people are on 25mg. All it's per day.¨

We have a thread for all of that here, if you haven't seen it:

However on the top of that, I inherited Psoriasis and that's also aotuimunne disease, which needs to be corrected by good nutritioning and again immuno supresants.

Between this and the fact that only 6 percent of deaths are covid only related and 94 percent of deaths are from underlying health issues such as op's that covid just accelarates plus many but many other new studies that come out i am against mandatory masks.
I really wish this stat had never been presented to people. Just because you died with COVID + some other condition does not mean that COVID didn't kill you. In the US, I'd bet at least 80% of car crash deaths have other "underlying conditions" too. That doesn't mean that the car crash didn't kill you.

100% of deaths being COVID deaths was known as false for a long time. But this new 6% number isn't any better.

Belgorim

So even if the effect of masks in the general population is neutral or net negative you still want them used everywhere?

I doubt the effect is positive the way everyone seem to feel safer wearing them. They would just replace some distancing.

M1chl

So even if the effect of masks in the general population is neutral or net negative you still want them used everywhere?

I doubt the effect is positive the way everyone seem to feel safer wearing them. They would just replace some distancing.
How the effect in general population is net negative, you mean like it helps the spread or what do you mean?

Kev Kev

people are just straight up starting to not wear them anymore. i ship for and deliver groceries, and i saw multiple younger kids walking through the grocery store today, at multiple stores. haven't seen anyone being that open about it in a while and i'm in stores a lot. they were kids and they probably were running amuck there first weekend after school or whatever. i just shrugged, i have to wear a mask for my job so 🤷‍♂️. i was surprised other people weren't making a stink though

Belgorim

How the effect in general population is net negative, you mean like it helps the spread or what do you mean?
Yes, it could very well help the spread with the way people use them and how they feel safer with it.

Even if it would slow spread slightly if everyone behaves and keeps the same distance as they would without mask it wont stop the spread. So maybe if hospitals are overflowed?

M1chl

Yes, it could very well help the spread with the way people use them and how they feel safer with it.

Even if it would slow spread slightly if everyone behaves and keeps the same distance as they would without mask it wont stop the spread. So maybe if hospitals are overflowed?
It's not 100% solution, however if it does help to reduce spread, where is the harm.

Belgorim

It's not 100% solution, however if it does help to reduce spread, where is the harm.
That is just something everyone keeps repeating. That does not make it true that masks actualy helps in general population.

There could be unintended harm in it btw.

M1chl

That is just something everyone keeps repeating. That does not make it true that masks actualy helps in general population.

There could be unintended harm in it btw.
What harm? I just don't understand what do you mean.

Belgorim

What harm? I just don't understand what do you mean.
Well, as I said before, it could very well increase spread. Better if someone at risk uses a face shield. We have those available at work for those that want them.

And you dont see the harm in trying to make everyone put on a mask in a scenario where it does nothing in preventing spread?

M1chl

Well, as I said before, it could very well increase spread. Better if someone at risk uses a face shield. We have those available at work for those that want them.

And you dont see the harm in trying to make everyone put on a mask in a scenario where it does nothing in preventing spread?
Well I think it's fairly fucking obivous, that it helps contain the spread or lowet the chance of spreading, so that's a good thing. Besides you talk like in some theory that it could worsen the spread, again I am asking how, because nothing suggest that wearing mask worsens the spread....

Belgorim

Well I think it's fairly fucking obivous, that it helps contain the spread or lowet the chance of spreading, so that's a good thing. Besides you talk like in some theory that it could worsen the spread, again I am asking how, because nothing suggest that wearing mask worsens the spread....
There is not realy any good data backing up that it works either so I do not get why it is obivous.

What I say is easy to understand. Distancing is a lot more important than masks. If masks reduces peoples distance, then they could be a net negative.

Anyway, I feel it is important to question things that dont have good data behind them. Have to sleep now, will check back tomorrow.

M1chl

There is not realy any good data backing up that it works either so I do not get why it is obivous.

What I say is easy to understand. Distancing is a lot more important than masks. If masks reduces peoples distance, then they could be a net negative.

Anyway, I feel it is important to question things that dont have good data behind them. Have to sleep now, will check back tomorrow.
Cool I get what you are saing, however it hardly "worsen the situation"...

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
I'm skeptical that masks are actually a good idea. At this point support for the mask is little more than agit-prop. You tell us to wear a mask to humiliate thinking people, to try to force them into compliance, to let them know they are not free.

I hate the mask more than you love your own life. I wear it to the supermarket and gas stations because it's required, but doing so is humiliating. This is an exercise in the government taking your freedom away and it looks to me like it won't stop until they take everything you have. I'll die an old man someday telling kids stories about a time when people had freedom.

I don't believe masks are effective, even if they are it shouldn't be mandatory.
Or maybe because they dont want vulnerable people suchnas auto immune comprimised people and the elderly to fall sick and die. Fuck sakes everything is a conspiracy theory for people like you when its common courtesy to I dont know not kill as many people due to a global pandemic.

M1chl

Or maybe because they dont want vulnerable people suchnas auto immune comprimised people and the elderly to fall sick and die. Fuck sakes everything is a conspiracy theory for people like you when its common courtesy to I dont know not kill as many people due to a global pandemic.
It's kind of sad that people think that it's some conspiracy theory againts them....on neoGaf no less....

Jtibh

Banned
I really wish this stat had never been presented to people. Just because you died with COVID + some other condition does not mean that COVID didn't kill you. In the US, I'd bet at least 80% of car crash deaths have other "underlying conditions" too. That doesn't mean that the car crash didn't kill you.

100% of deaths being COVID deaths was known as false for a long time. But this new 6% number isn't any better.
Or when the guy who died of a motor cicle accident got tagged as covid death though the crash killed him........

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

It's kind of sad that people think that it's some conspiracy theory againts them....on neoGaf no less....
Fucking nut jobs i tell you, jesus christ. Everyone is out to get you, my freedoms etc.

care more about "freedoms" than general health of a population

diffusionx

Gold Member
Sure I am not saying that it 100% prevent the spread, but at least it helps it contain for ertain degree and since I want to have life, I think mask will help to not be on lockdown in basement of your house.

I am saying masks 0% prevent the spread. Really. A bunch of graphics or studies based on people coughing in each others' faces is not productive, since nobody is coughing in anybody's face, ever.

People are putting cheap made in china cloth in front of their mouths and walking around like their shit don't stink, touching their faces constantly. It's bullshit. It's not doing anything. Not to mention, (A) the science on asymptomatic transmission shows that it's not nearly as prevalent as originally thought, if it exists at all, and (B) we're still not totally 100% sure on the question of transmission through droplets vs. aerosol vs. poop miasma.

Last edited:

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

I am saying masks 0% prevent the spread. Really. A bunch of graphics or studies based on people coughing in each others' faces is not productive, since nobody is coughing in anybody's face, ever.

People are putting cheap made in china cloth in front of their mouths and walking around like their shit don't stink, toughing their face constantly. It's bullshit. Not to mention the science on asymptomatic transmission shows that it's not nearly as prevalent as originally thought, if it exists at all.
You do realise without a mask and coughing/sneezing openly spreads saliva and what not at a further distancr and lingers in the air for someone to pass by and have it on their skin or enter their nasal passages as well right...?
Wearing a masks limits how far particles can go and which direction they go thus making it safer along with social distancing

Last edited:

M1chl

Fucking nut jobs i tell you, jesus christ. Everyone is out to get you, my freedoms etc.

That capitalism in states are brainwashing machine, it shows symptoms like in USSSR, just in different flavor. Everything bad under communism was "imperialistic propaganda" and everything bad happening in USA is "taking away muh freedumz"... Morale of people in states, is shockingly low, as responsibility towards fellow citizens.

People are putting cheap made in china cloth in front of their mouths and walking around like their shit don't stink, touching their faces constantly. It's bullshit. It's not doing anything. Not to mention the science on asymptomatic transmission shows that it's not nearly as prevalent as originally thought, if it exists at all.
So how do you explain that countries which implemented mask have much less pronnounced spread, deaths, cases, etc. For exmaplme we stopped using mask as a country in the half of May and since then cases ramped up way more than before, just a few days back it was biggest day, about 500 cases. Masks work. It's not about coughing, it's about just transmiting smal portion of aerosol though breathing. I am not sure why you conspirational theorist even exist, sure don't wear the mask, that's your freedom, however I find it this approach very irresponsible that's all.

diffusionx

Gold Member
You do realise without a mask and coughing openly spreads saliva and what not at a further distancr and lingers in the air for someone to pass by and have it on their skin or enter their nasal passages as well right...?
Wearing a masks limits how far particles can go and which direction they go thus making it safer along with social distancing

So, have you heard of this thing called a viral load, breathing in a single covid virus from a guy who breathed it out 3 feet away is not going to infect you. There needs to be a critical mass of the virus entering your system, which is why the vast majority of documented and studied transmissions happen inside the home (>80%). The next highest transmission is in public transportation, which makes sense due to a mass of people in a tight, closed setting. In terms of outside, two passing strangers in the street, the chance of infection is absolute zero, no chance whatsoever.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
oh yay another mask nazi.

im wearing a mask you piece of shit. mind your own fucking business.

swear to god the worst thing to come out of all this has been these dickheads who think everyone is an idiot not wearing a masks and runs around yelling WEAR YOUR FUCKING MASKS

HOW ABOUT MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS

don't believe everything you read on the goddamn news. people ARE wearing masks. YES we believe COVID is real. YES even us idiot southerners.

AND WE KNOW THE MASK IS NOT A 100% SOLUTION

don't be a fucking narc. jfc. don't be one of those "wear a fucking mask" assholes
get some help.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Nah, fuck that. Here in North Carolina, we have a mandatory mask law in effect, but it hasn’t done shit to lower the number of cases or deaths. There are literally 9 deaths COVID related in 6 months in our county.

I also caught a cold even though I wore the mask everywhere the first two weeks of the mandate. Besides, as pointed out above, there are far too many wearing the mask improperly for a mandate to be effective.

Additionally, the only person I know that died of COVID caught it in a hospital from his nurse. They counted him as a COVID death even though he already had pneumonia, got through battling gout, and was in advanced stages of Alzheimer’s. And they still counted his as a COVID related death. Could’ve been anything that killed him.

Lots of anecdotes, I know. But when the official statements of how to handle it are all over the place and the tests don’t fucking work, anecdotes are all I have left.

So, when the mandate is suppose to end in NC on Sept 11th, I have no doubt our liberal ass governor will extend the mandate. But, I don’t care. I’m done social distancing. I’m done wearing the damn mask. Don’t want me in your store spending my money? Fine, I’ll go somewhere else or wait until your owner grows a pair.

Im sorry you have to live in a brain free country. But in my country, the sensible are tired of the brain free forcing them to do brain free things thinking they’re going to actually beat a virus. lol!

If you’re that afraid your condition makes you extra susceptible to dying from a disease that only kills 2% of its victims, then wear the mask, the shield, and stay the hell away from anyone who isn’t. But stop trying to guilt the rest of us into doing something that has had no visible impact on keeping the virus away.

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
The harm is when I get denied service for not wearing one. The harm is when the government forces people or businesses with threat of a fine or jail time for not complying.

Also, where is the harm in wearing one all the time, pandemic or not. And before you respond, just know my response is going to be:

“It's not 100% solution, however if it does help to reduce spread, where is the harm.”

Because that kind of brain free response works for everything.

Last edited:

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

So, have you heard of this thing called a viral load, breathing in a single covid virus from a guy who breathed it out 3 feet away is not going to infect you. There needs to be a critical mass of the virus entering your system, which is why the vast majority of documented and studied transmissions happen inside the home (>80%). The next highest transmission is in public transportation, which makes sense due to a mass of people in a tight, closed setting. In terms of outside, two passing strangers in the street, the chance of infection is absolute zero, no chance whatsoever.
Yes highest documented happen inside the home but where do you think it comes from in the first place? Exposure from the public, a home and its family cant magically get the virus if they stay home. They get the virus by being exposed in public, either by not socially distancing properly or wearing a mask.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

The harm is when I get denied service for not wearing one. The harm is when the government forces people or businesses with threat of a fine or jail time for not complying.

Also, where is the harm in wearing one all the time, pandemic or not. And before you respond, just know my response is going to be:

“It's not 100% solution, however if it does help to reduce spread, where is the harm.”

And they have every right to do so because its their business. You do realise 99 percent of the problem is because morons arent practicing proper protocols, wearing a mask or generallt being careful right. Of the majority of people I dont know cared about the general population much like Japan does etc then its wouldnt be as big as an issue. Japan had very low cases until a bunch of brain dead american military went main land and transferred the virus to the community.

its simple, wear a mask and socially distance. If you cant even do two common courtesy things to help prevent people from being sick and saving lives then maybe its you who shouldnt be out in public

Hulk_Smash

Banned
And they have every right to do so because its their business. You do realise 99 percent of the problem is because morons arent practicing proper protocols, wearing a mask or generallt being careful right. Of the majority of people I dont know cared about the general population much like Japan does etc then its wouldnt be as big as an issue. Japan had very low cases until a bunch of brain dead american military went main land and transferred the virus to the community.

its simple, wear a mask and socially distance. If you cant even do two common courtesy things to help prevent people from being sick and saving lives then maybe its you who shouldnt be out in public
Okay I guess I’ll give the response I’ve already given. Why stop at a pandemic? If the masks work, why not wear them all time to cut down in all diseases? Go ahead and give me your response so I can give you this as my rebuttal:

See? It works for everything.

Elcid

Banned
I wear masks when I have to for example it’s mandatory to walk into a business here. I wear it for literally nothing else. Goes on right before going through the door and comes off the second I step back out. I’m not social distancing and just hosted two getties this weekend. Sorry dude you had a COVID scare but that’s not going to make me live the remainder of my life like a God damn paranoid nut.

TaySan

Banned
I wear a mask everywhere when im outside of home. Don't want to catch that shit again and its only a mild inconvenience to make others safe and feel comfortable. The more everyone cooperates the sooner we can get through this so we won't have to wear masks.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
I wear a mask everywhere when im outside of home. Don't want to catch that shit again and its only a mild inconvenience to make others safe and feel comfortable. The more everyone cooperates the sooner we can get through this so we won't have to wear masks.

The mask doesnt protect you. Weat googles and face shield. But since you had it your immune. So you wearing a mask is 100% useless. You have no virus to give people and a flimsy mask doenst protect you from getting it.

CyRuZ

Banned
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
I really wish those naysayers to get it and suffer for a long ass time. Only way for them to learn.

Glad in japan we all use mask.

I’m more scared when I walk my dog and some old people come close to me. I use mask just in case (we never know if we have it or not).

I don’t want to give it to some obasan :(

M1chl

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
I really wish those naysayers to get it and suffer for a long ass time. Only way for them to learn.
As much as I am trying to not get such feelings, I do, it's shameful no human solidarity.

What is worse, that person in OP is in critical state........and I am reading this shit

Good luck to you freedomers.

Hudo

People who complain about having to wear masks should then consequently go out naked because any other piece of clothing is literally harder to put on than a goddamn mask.

M1chl

This is such a dishonest "review" of the situation, look at this shit:
Location-of-study-population-Map-showing-population-density-in-Sweden-by-municipality.png

France:
france-densite-2009.jpg

Spain:
spain-population-map.jpg

Population count:
Sweden 10.23m
France 66.99m
Spain 46.94m

Density of Sweden population is really low in comparison to the other mentioned states. To draw conclusion, that "mask suck" from that is really something.

M1chl

Cool, I get what you are saying, but is the mask really that massive type of deal, you get clothes on normally I presume? Because you could complain, that they lock you up because you were naked.

Let just say with situation which I find this morning, I feel like you people simply take this really lightly even at expense of your own health, why?

Well, I dunno if the types of women who complain about having to wear masks are the types you'd want to see naked, tbh.
True, however there are so many attractive young nutjobs, so I guess I take the chances, I can look away anytime.

I do not agree often with you, but I agree 100% here.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

That capitalism in states are brainwashing machine, it shows symptoms like in USSSR, just in different flavor. Everything bad under communism was "imperialistic propaganda" and everything bad happening in USA is "taking away muh freedumz"... Morale of people in states, is shockingly low, as responsibility towards fellow citizens.
Yeah it's the masks that are doing this. Not the lockdowns that bankrupting families, or the people who are cut off from friends and family. Or the general all-around paranoia pushed by people like you that even stepping outside without a mask on our face is akin to genocide. That couldn't possibly have led to an increase in depression around the country.

No, it just the stupid Americans and their awful "freedoms". #Phonepunk# #Phonepunk# was right, mask Nazis is a good term for people like you.

By the way, your precious european countries are going through a covid spike. Whoopsies.

Edit: and yes, before you start bitching. I wear the stupid mask. I wear it when I go to the grocery store, when I go get the mail, when I do anything, so please fuck off before you start lecturing.

Last edited:

M1chl

Yeah it's the masks that are doing this. Not the lockdowns that bankrupting families, or the people who are cut off from friends and family. Or the general all-around paranoia pushed by people like you that even stepping outside without a mask on our face is akin to genocide. That couldn't possibly have led to an increase in depression around the country.

No, it just the stupid Americans and their awful "freedoms". #Phonepunk# #Phonepunk# was right, mask Nazis is a good term for people like you.

By the way, your precious european countries are going through a covid spike. Whoopsies.

Edit: and yes, before you start bitching. I wear the stupid mask. I wear it when I go to the grocery store, when I go get the mail, when I do anything, so please fuck off before you start lecturing.
Absolutely, you know why? Masks are no longer necessary, so yeah fuck the pussy governement who said "mask are no longer mandatory". Gov sucks in this, this should be responsibility of the citizens. And citizens doing good job, however the open borders bullshit (like a travel type, which does not add much to the economy) swarm my country with a lot of dumbass travellers and Germans who want to buy cheaper and better beer and yeah this is the result.

So yeah I am not saying that we are better, we were, but not now. So I am urging people to wear the mask, so they just protect themself and do the work to protect themselves and in the same time support themselves financially.

I am not sure, how am I "mask Nazi", I did not say that Police should enforce it, I am saying that citizens on their own behalf should have some solidarity and wear that mask.

I hope we are clear on this one.

Joe T.

I don't mean to sound insulting because I understand the dicey situation everyone finds themselves in, but know that saying about how some people are walking around with a tattoo of the word 'stupid' on their forehead? The masks are that tattoo.

Almost everyone's in the same boat so it's not like I don't understand where people are coming from when they say "it's just a mask." If your boss says wear the mask then you'll do it. If shop owners refuse to serve you unless you wear a mask then you'll wear it. Losing a job, being barred from all shops or getting fined for not wearing a mask is a step too far for most, but I think the media, doctors and politicians have done us a great disservice by spreading so much confusion and the issue needs to be straightened out. We aren't wearing masks in public spaces because they mitigate the spread, we're wearing them because we're no longer given much of a choice and we have only ourselves to blame for that.

Politicians were in the dark early on, they were relying on China, the WHO and the early models, a hat-trick of doom. By the time this mess got rolling the sensationalist reporting and fearmongering from major media outlets and "the experts" had already screwed us over, people were in panic mode, states of emergency went up and countries simply started falling in line with what they saw out of China, minus the welding and kidnappings. We even liked their censorship so much we tried to copy that, too.

The case/death counters were ticking up every day and the anxiety along with it, it was palpable. It took weeks before the activists posing as reporters succeeded, but they got the premiere here in Quebec to buckle under pressure and make masks mandatory in public transit. They repeated that onslaught of "questioning"/pressuring for masks in indoor spaces, succeeded again, and then started on outdoor masks for no other reason than because other countries adopted it - whether they were working or not seemed irrelevant (hello, France).

Long story short, fear fed to us by grossly irresponsible media coverage along with financially/politically-motivated doctors and politicians eager to hang onto their jobs is what gave us masks. They can repeat the claim all they want, but it wasn't a scientifically-backed decision. I challenged people to find me a single health official or politician around the world that cited at least one convincing study to support it and no one could. There is, however, plenty of evidence to the contrary - that masks in public do very little, nothing or maybe even harm - and it comes straight from the doctors, scientists and studies the mask acolytes keep pretending they're following. Funny how that works.

That masks are little more than a signal is, no joke, written in the very studies that analyzed their effectiveness against communicable diseases like the flu. They're merely saying that the person may adhere to better hygiene than someone who does not. That's not all they're signaling, though. If we're being honest I think we all know there are a lot of people with a great deal of money riding on this pandemic and what better way to gauge a market of 7.8 billion than public acceptance of masks?

Top Bottom