• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 2 |OT| of Orbs, Freaks, and Exploding Pedestrians

Why For?

Banned
Man, I've just been scouring the net for a while looking for real proof of these freaks, and I can't find shit.

It's pissing me off now. Which island are they on Shai Gen? I'm gonna have to pop CD1 back in and see this shit for myself.

Red

Why For? said:
Man, I've just been scouring the net for a while looking for real proof of these freaks, and I can't find shit.

It's pissing me off now. Which island are they on Shai Gen? I'm gonna have to pop CD1 back in and see this shit for myself.
When you beat the scientist they start popping up all over the place. There's usually one near the big bridge on the Shai Gen island, near a big statue/space needle thing.

TBH, the CD freaks kind of suck though. They're basically just regular civilians who can pick up cars.

Crunched said:
When you beat the scientist they start popping up all over the place. There's usually one near the big bridge on the Shai Gen island, near a big statue/space needle thing.

TBH, the CD freaks kind of suck though. They're basically just regular civilians who can pick up cars.
They're really not like that at all...they're much shorter, run around on their knuckles like apes, and are weird lookin. Agree they kinda suck tho.

Red

elrechazao said:
They're really not like that at all...they're much shorter, run around on their knuckles like apes, and are weird lookin. Agree they kinda suck tho.
Eh, they're like regular civilians on steroids with poor hygiene.

In comparison to the CD2 freaks they just aren't interesting.

Why For?

Banned
Holy fuck, I just looked up the guide for Crackdown and I remember now.

They were locked up in the fucking cells in that massive fucking lab. I completely forgot. Christ. I don't remember them escaping though, that part has completely left my memory. I remember killing them WITHIN the lab, and going cell to cell wiping them out, but I didn't know they escaped. Never tangled with them after beating the Professor.

Possibly because I spent 99% of the time on top of buildings by the time I got to Shai Gen.

My apologies to NinjaFridge then.

Red

It's not like you missed much. Combat was never CD's strong suit, and the original freaks were a definite low point. The strength has always been in the platforming, so take pride in the fact that You Played It Right.

So a mate of mine just picked this up and we played it together (I've played it a lot before - he hasn't) for a solid 4 hours last night. Just running around, killing shit, driving shit, shooting shit, punching shit, doing shit (missions), experimenting with shit... fuck this game is so fucking good.

I know people compare it unfavourably to CD1 - but I am enjoying it far more. The mission structure leaves a lot to be desired - but it's not awful, and leads to some awesome battles (I do miss trying to assassinate a boss with a friend, each boss/hideout having it's own challenges/style). I am really enjoy some of the changes such as the difficulty (feels much better than the difficulty options in CD1), the vehicles and vehicle unlocks (the transforming vehicles are missed, but minor), the new weapons and their models, the new suit looks fucking fantastic (better than CD1 - though loses some personality without being able to see the character's face), the glide system etc

As for the zombies, they feel very pointless 90% of the time... but then there was one area (big underground cave) where my mate and I had to defend a beacon while it charged up whilst a variety of zombies attacked us and the beacon. Made for a thoroughly interesting fight, with one of us causing havoc with the UV shotgun and UV grenades, and the other with melee/frag grenades. Also walking out of the cave and seeing literally hundreds of zombies walking around in the open cut mine/refinery was beyond epic. When the zombies are used well, the game benefits greatly - when they're not (zombie outbreaks/eruptions, general streetwalker zombies etc) they add nothing to the game, yet don't take anything away from it so I can't complain.

The orb system is as satisfying as ever, the addition of XBL orbs, renegade orbs and many of the new races/challenges is exactly what I wanted in a Crackdown sequel - and this does not disappoint.

I will be purchasing the Toy Box DLC very soon, but am wondering if the Deluge DLC is worth it. How fleshed out is the horde/deluge/wave mode? Does it add anything else worthwhile or should I wait for a cheaper price?

Dabanton

Stripper13 said:
I will be purchasing the Toy Box DLC very soon, but am wondering if the Deluge DLC is worth it. How fleshed out is the horde/deluge/wave mode? Does it add anything else worthwhile or should I wait for a cheaper price?

I loved Deluge it's a great game mode very intense.

Speedymanic said:
Wow what are the fucking chances. My mate just buys the game about a week ago and we decide to get into it a couple of nights ago. I check out the DLC and see that it is 560 for each pack (I only have 600 points left) so we decide on toybox - but are both tired and figure will just buy it next time we play. Last night we start playing and decide to grab DLC and find that they're half price. Awesome.

Also the Thrusters are awesome. They do feel a little game breaking in terms of the 'normal' platforming feel, but given that you can't use grenades and they're limited/recharge based I'm really enjoying the freedom they're giving whilst exploring. Also just got gliding ability on my new character again last night - awesome fun.

What I love about this game, is it's unintentional ability to make you piss yourself laughing.

There were several moments last night whilst playing co-op, not least of which was when my mate decided to try and board my Chopper mid-flight and we discovered that the blades do in fact kill, and he was thrown so far he could see the whole city on maybe 1/10th of his screen, the rest was weird blues/blacks (broke the skybox?). However the one that stands out the most, was where we were climbing the agency tower (before we got thrusters/glide), and found the gigantic pipe/silo that, when you drop down (took us ages to get there) is in fact a giant toilet.

We spent ages trying to work out how to fall down there without dying, as even landing in the water was causing insta-death. My mate had a couple of new weapons he wanted to store, so I had to do the testing. Eventually he comes up with the idea that I should fall, and right before I hit the bottom, start firing my rocket launcher at the walls as to change my momentum and stop the fall damage. So first try, it works and gets pulled off perfectly. I hit the cave wall with a rocket and fell into the water much slower and survived with no damage at all - excellent.

I tell him it works, and so he decides to do the same thing. So I am looking up the cave/pipe from the bottom, and he jumps... he panics as his speed picks up and blasts a wall way too early - he sets himself on fire, and proceeds to fall down extremely slowly, smashing his ragdoll body from ledge to ledge until he lands in the toilet water. I revive him, we collect the hidden orb, muck around the with toys down there and decide to use the grav lift to get back up. By this point I'm already laughing alot - so when we land on the ledge of the pipe and are looking around... I decide to kick him out to sea for fun. However due to my direction (or something) my agent smashes his elbow into the back of my mate for some kidney bursting action. This not only, does not send my mate to sea, but in fact causes him to momentarily lift off the ground (barely noticeable) and enter ragdoll mode - he then tips back extremely slowly and falls back down the pipe whilst smashing every ledge in the cave until his eventual death.

Needless to say it was the hardest I have genuinely laughed in a game for quite a long time.

Z_Y

Got this for Christmas and picked up the DLC on the cheap. I've only been goofing around in it for 5 hours or so...orb hunting, taking tactical locations, powering up those node thingies and detonating those light mass thingies. (I haven't really paid attention to the story...I just like bouncing around blowing shit up.)

Maybe I misread GAF or maybe it was just a very vocal minority but I thought the general consensus was that CD2 was nowhere near as good as CD1. WTF is wrong with those people? This is better than CD1 in just about every measurable category, IMO. More shit to do and more shit to do it with. I'm loving it and hearing those little orb chimes in my sleep all over again.

I admit, I was first turned off at the idea of the freaks being a central enemy in the game but it works well with the day/night cycle. I also admit that some of the equipment makes getting orbs a little less challenging. The boot thrusters are awesome but I kinda liked the idea of wondering how in the hell you were going to be able to get that orb...that is until you hit an agility of 4. But all in all, I'm loving the game as much as the first.

I don't mind the re-use of Pacific City. It feels different enough to feel fresh but familiar enough to spark a little nostalgia...albeit of only 4 years ago..but still! I liked that they started you out on the Volk island. That was probably my least traversed area in CD1 so it felt new enough.

My biggest complaint thus far is that the people that join my game aren't helping me at all. Either that or they are griefing me. That is not really the game's fault but I couldn't see a way to remove them without exiting out of the game myself. I had some kid with a high pitched voice come into my game the other day and he wouldn't shut up and wouldn't help me do any objectives. I quit the game and started it back up with only friends being able to join....somehow he STILL got into my game. Not sure what happened there.

My gamertag is Z Y if anybody wants to join me sometime. I imagine the fun factor goes through the roof with 4 likeminded people completing objectives. Competitive MP looks to be dead for the most part though. I've never been able to play anything but deluge.

So in summary, if you loved the forst CD and were ever on the fence about this game...don't be. It is well worth the price of admission these days and both DLC are still dirt cheap....560msp gets you both packs.

derFeef

Need to go back to that game, I want to wreck sutff and let some steam off.

Btw. ruffian is hiring - interesting wording there!
http://blog.ruffiangames.com/?p=419
Since completing Ruffians first born, Crackdown 2, we’ve now moved onto a couple of new games. Rather boringly as is the case for most nascent projects we’re unable to talk about them in any detail right now. What we can say is they’re really exciting, high action, visceral titles that are heavily focussed on online. Which could be a lot of games to be honest :D

Hey guys. Loved the first one an I'm planning on getting this game tomorrow for 25 € here in Germany. So...one question (can't find the answer on google): Does this game require a HDD for all MP-Modes (Deathmatch and Co-op?). I only have a slim with a 4 GB memory unit.

Meier

Beat the game last night.. pretty fun although I swear the Renegade Orbs are harder than I remember from the original. I'm almost up to 5 in Agility at which point I can hopefully get to the top of Hope Tower and finish off all the Cell strongholds. There is one achievement for doing 1 of everything if I read it correctly but I can't seem to figure out what I'm missing.

Overall it was enjoyable enough -- I was very put off for quite awhile by the "Freaks" because it felt like a silly Zombie tack-on while they were an in thing (and I still do) but I'm glad I finally gave in and played it.

Circle T

Meier said:
Beat the game last night.. pretty fun although I swear the Renegade Orbs are harder than I remember from the original.
There was only Agility and Hidden orbs in CD1. The two types of Renegade orbs are a new addition in CD2.

Meier said:
There is one achievement for doing 1 of everything if I read it correctly but I can't seem to figure out what I'm missing.
The last one I had to do for that achievement was a Wing Suit Ring Race. Once you get to Level 5 Agility, you get the Wing Suit and can do those.

Meier

Circle T said:
There was only Agility and Hidden orbs in CD1. The two types of Renegade orbs are a new addition in CD2.

The last one I had to do for that achievement was a Wing Suit Ring Race. Once you get to Level 5 Agility, you get the Wing Suit and can do those.
Ah ha! Yeah, that would explain it (r.e. Wing Suit). I thought I remembered the Renegade Orbs but clearly not. They're tough little buggers.. the camera does no favors with them either.

Hey guys and gals. Just bought a copy for 10 dollars on clearance at TRU. Should I purchase and play through the first one before I crack this open?

Circle T

The_Inquisitor said:
Hey guys and gals. Just bought a copy for 10 dollars on clearance at TRU. Should I purchase and play through the first one before I crack this open?
The "story" in the first is basically non-existent, so don't worry about it from that aspect. You're a super, morphing police agent who kills the crap out of bad guys. End of story.

The only thing that didn't stay for CD2 is the upgrading cars. With the different Agency vehicles in CD1, as your driving ability went up each level, the cars would morph and upgrade as well. In CD2, that doesn't happen, you just unlock more cars as your ability increases.

Aside from that, I personally can't think of anything that is better in CD1 or is missing in CD2. Both games are pretty much the same, but in CD2 there is just more stuff to do, more ways to do it, and you can play with more friends. I really loved CD1, but now with CD2 I have no reason to play CD1 any more. If you can find it dirt cheap, grab it. Otherwise, don't worry about it, as CD2 is everything and more that CD1 was.

Circle T said:
The "story" in the first is basically non-existent, so don't worry about it from that aspect. You're a super, morphing police agent who kills the crap out of bad guys. End of story.

The only thing that didn't stay for CD2 is the upgrading cars. With the different Agency vehicles in CD1, as your driving ability went up each level, the cars would morph and upgrade as well. In CD2, that doesn't happen, you just unlock more cars as your ability increases.

Aside from that, I personally can't think of anything that is better in CD1 or is missing in CD2. Both games are pretty much the same, but in CD2 there is just more stuff to do, more ways to do it, and you can play with more friends. I really loved CD1, but now with CD2 I have no reason to play CD1 any more. If you can find it dirt cheap, grab it. Otherwise, don't worry about it, as CD2 is everything and more that CD1 was.

Just got it for 5.70 shipped. Thought that was reasonable.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
What the fuck. I was just playing some Crackdown2 and stumbled across one of the guitar player guys playing the song, "Give us the answer, and the antidote..." Well, I'm listening to the song kind of enjoying it because I haven't played in a while and out of the blue a guy runs up and knocks the guitar out of this guys hand and smashed it on the ground. Then the singer dude ran off.

What an asshole.

I'm on a sandbox open-world games streak, and after AssCreed Bro, Red Dead Redemption and The Saboteur, I'm playing Crackdown 2.
So far I like it, but there are pros and cons :

I like :
  • Mindless, immediate fun.
  • Good drawing distance.
  • The voice of the Agency is still funny and cheesy as hell.
  • This feeling when you just run across the city, jumping everywhere
  • It feels like a Crackdown add-on. That has a reliable value.

I don't like :
  • Pedestrian left with their original English dubbing (I play it in French). It's not like I have a particular problem with English, it's just that it annoys me like nothing else, there is a uncompleted taste left to it. This has annoyed me in The Saboteur too.
  • I still don't know how you can change targets easily without releasing the left trigger and pray it will lock on the target you want.
  • There is no local splitscreen co-op. There is a lot of potential.
  • It feels like a Crackdown add-on. After so many years of development it could've been a lot better.

Flavius

Warms my heart to see new posts in here.

Really, really hoping MS eased up on Ruffian and are committed to giving them the proper time to do the next installment justice. They killed so much goodwill with this sequel, but not so much that they can't recapture, and even exceed, their success with the first title.

Bumping this shit.

I'm pissed off.

I just spent fucking hours orb hunting and punching shit to get myself up to "level 6".

There is no "level 6". Oh, there are words, "AGILITY - LEVEL 6". You get nothing. Zero. No upgrades. But there is clearly 6 levels on the side you can upgrade to. But the sixth is nothing.

WHAT THE FUCK.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I always thought the final agility level was permanent jet boots! Ha shit! Well, at least its still crackdown. And crackdown is awesome.
IE, the abilitity to have jet boots and grenades at the same time.

You don't even get a fucking speech. FUCK YOU DON'T EVEN GET THE FUCKING COOL "FWOOOOM SHOOOOOOSH POW" GLOWY SHIT. GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH I HATE YOU CRACKDOWN.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah but just imagine how awesome Crackdown3 will be..

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I feel ya dude. The worst part is you'll more than likely hear those orbs in your dreams tonight if you spent 25% of your day chasing them, LOL. Goodluck and sweet dreams.

malfcn

LTTP

My main gripe is the climbing. Sometimes it don't want to grab, or surfaces that should be scalable aren't. Oh, and the aiming.

^Totally agree! So much damn potential! With all the neat additions Crackdown 2 brought to the table, it was more than necessary to include a new city. Crackdown 1 was one of my favorite sandbox games ever, I can't even really enjoy other open world games after it because of how POWERFUL I felt :D

Top Bottom