• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 3 - Review Thread

Typhares

https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/crackdown-3 - Currently 66 with 14 reviews 61 with 27 reviews

Gamespot 5/10
It's been a long wait for Crackdown 3. Delays can be a positive thing, offering developers time to refine and polish a game. In other cases, it can result in what feels like a dated experience. At least in terms of its campaign--we don't have access to the Wrecking Zone multiplayer mode yet--Crackdown 3 firmly falls in the latter category, offering some amusement but little in the way of interesting new ideas or fun things to do. It's large and bombastic, with plenty of chaos and collateral damage, but few redeeming values--like a video game version of Man of Steel.

IGN 5/10
Crackdown 3's mediocre campaign fills a big open world with paint-by-numbers gameplay that barely evolves after the opening hours.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Clunk. Can't say I'm surprised, there's no way something this basic should have taken them so long. Something clearly went tits up along the way. It looks like a game that could, and should, have been out last generation.

Arun1910

Clunk. Can't say I'm surprised, there's no way something this basic should have taken them so long. Something clearly went tits up along the way. It looks like a game that could, and should, have been out last generation.

I don't understand why it was still developed. The first game was good, the second was mediocre... the amount of money poured into the game must have been a lot over the past 5 years, so what was MS's goal with this?

Last edited:

Zannegan

Shoot. The first game was flat-out magic for me, much more than the sum if its parts. Why can they not make a decent followup in a new location?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I don't understand why it was still developed. The first game was good, the second was mediocre... the amount of money poured into the game must have been a lot over the past 5 years, so what was MS's goal with this?

Honestly, after they cancelled Scalebound and Fable Legends, I think they had to hang on to this and hope it would turn out okay. And it did, kinda - it looks like no one is saying the game is bad, just that it's so mediocre compared to other available games. Doesn't even look worth playing with game pass, I think I'd rather play the original.

insanexer

What a complete disaster. No other way to say it. This just goes to show you can have the most powerful hardware, spend a ton of money on acquiring studios and cloud services and this doesn't translate to good games, This game isn't even average. Yikes.

AnotherOne

So crackdown 2 that was in development for 8 months scores better than this? MS better step their first party games up..cant just rely on forza/gears..

Last edited by a moderator:

AnotherOne

What a complete disaster. No other way to say it. This just goes to show you can have the most powerful hardware, spend a ton of money on acquiring studios and cloud services and this doesn't translate to good games, This game isn't even average. Yikes.

What's average to you? 5/10 is average.

Arun1910

Honestly, after they cancelled Scalebound and Fable Legends, I think they had to hang on to this and hope it would turn out okay. And it did, kinda - it looks like no one is saying the game is bad, just that it's so mediocre compared to other available games. Doesn't even look worth playing with game pass, I think I'd rather play the original.

It's kinda sad that there is no competition between MS and Sony other than Hardware. Software wise, Sony have it nailed down with their 1st party games, competition is healthy in all aspects of the gaming industry but it makes me wonder if Microsoft care about the quality of their AAA games.

AV

On paper, sure, but let's be realistic. In games media, anything less than a 7/10 is shit, and a 7 is just okay. Not saying that's a good thing, that's just how it works.

mejin

Holy shit, another huge fail from MS.

The biggest problem is MS will intensify bullshit spread on internet till E3. Promises and more promises.

AV

It's kinda sad that there is no competition between MS and Sony other than Hardware. Software wise, Sony have it nailed down with their 1st party games, competition is healthy in all aspects of the gaming industry but it makes me wonder if Microsoft care about the quality of their AAA games.

They do still have the best racing series available, and Gears and Halo, even if the last few were apparently average. They could really do with Gears 5 and Halo Infinite being fantastic. Aside from those, I think they're aware of the problem, and all the studio acquisitions are their way of publicly addressing it. Whether that pays off? Time will tell. But Obsidian is a massive get.

sol_bad

On paper, sure, but let's be realistic. In games media, anything less than a 7/10 is shit, and a 7 is just okay. Not saying that's a good thing, that's just how it works.

No, realistically, 5 is average, 6 is above average, 7 is good, 8 is great, 9 is almost perfect and 10 is fecking incredible.

Fbh

Can't say I'm surprised. Everything they have shown of the game has looked average at best. Even the cloud physics looked more like a tech demo than a deep and worthwhile multiplayer experience

Shoot. The first game was flat-out magic for me, much more than the sum if its parts. Why can they not make a decent followup in a new location?

To be fair most reviews I've read say it's pretty similar to the first one.
So if you enjoyed it and are fine with not much having changed/evolved after 14 years you should still enjoy this

It's so true what they say :

XB1X - Plays games great
PS4 Pro - Plays great games

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Disappointing considering the lengthy development, but its not garbage-tier, so DF will surely point out the funs and flaws.

That being said, being this long in development and then scoring just above 60 is a case of sitting too long in the oven as opposed of being prematurely in the same oven.

AV

6 is above average

Have you actually read any of the 6/10 reviews?
"It’s just... fine."
"Crackdown 3 is an enjoyable mess."
"Crackdown 3 is a good Crackdown game, which, unfortunately, doesn't mean much anymore."
"Crackdown 3 just doesn't meet contemporary standards as a premium $60 title, with dated visuals, thin gameplay features, and an under-delivered story."
"Crackdown 3's campaign feels like it was born too late."
"Just don’t expect to come away with any fond memories or exciting stories to tell"
"Short and not very good"

That doesn't exactly scream "above average". I get exactly where you're coming from, a 6/10 should mean above average, but in games journalism it demonstrably doesn't.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

Dude what happend to Xbox exclusives?

Seriously?

Can't say I'm surprised. Everything they have shown of the game has looked average at best. Even the cloud physics looked more like a tech demo than a deep and worthwhile multiplayer experience

To be fair most reviews I've read say it's pretty similar to the first one.
So if you enjoyed it and are fine with not much having changed/evolved after 14 years you should still enjoy this

The lesson for today is...

Never trust in a Teaser trailer. (Killzone 2 and Watchdogs are the best example)

Last edited:

Arun1910

It's so true what they say :

XB1X - Plays games great
PS4 Pro - Plays great games

Yeah I guess so, I just kinda wish I got to play more great games (MS exclusives) on my PC, other than Forza I haven't touched anything else and don't see anything worth my time which does suck.

dipsylalapo

Neo Member
Shame to see this. Loved the first two games.

I've been toying with getting a GamePass for a while now and bit the bullet on the one month trial to check out this game. I'll still give it a go, but at least there are other games too!

ethomaz

Banned
Well expected after the Beta previews.

It was really faded to fail to accomplish any goal set in development.

WOW even Jez from Windows Central give it a 3/5 like he hyped the game like the second coming.

PS. Some guys in the other thread saying wait the game release, you need to play it first, it is good... maybe could eat some crow now.

Last edited:

Starfield

Biggest dissapointment of Microsofts 1st party output of this gen I'd say (scorewise). Game got announced pretty much at the beginning of this console cycle, now at the end it comes out and can't even reach 65+ score

alienator

im quite sure MS will be all over in the news the next week how Crackdown 3 is a giant success because a million players on gamepass (who deleted it right away after they played the first levels, BUT OK )

if im too harsh, just say so, i wanted this game to be good. i loved crackdown 1. but it looks i will have more fun playing crackdown 1 on BC than investing time in this monstrosity.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I thought it would scores in the low 70s. It doesn't surprise me at all, but they gave out a $2 game pass this past week and I'll take it for myself.

It's really disappointing that a lot of their big games this gen have received mediocre review scores outside of the big 3.

Humdinger

No, realistically, 5 is average, 6 is above average

No, that's false. The average score for a videogame is about 7.0.

Here is a visual representation:

oH3onC7.0.0.png

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Xbox One continues to be the longest running joke in gaming. XBX and 360 were pretty great despite some flaws, but the Xboner absolutely sucks.

Well at least Phil Spencer can say that players put in thousands of hours into crackdown 3 on gamepass or whatever.

Unfortunately, I had a strong feeling Crackdown 3 wouldn’t really be well received based on what I’ve seen from it. This is why I’m not doing backflips for Microsoft acquiring new studios until I see them actually produce some quality first party titles. It’s good that they will have a bigger portfolio of games, but again how do we know they will come even remotely close to matching Sony and Nintendo’s first party offerings?

A BIG first party game under 70 is garbage. That mark may be acceptable for an indie or low-budget title but a potential big franchise title (as Microsoft has been hyping it up) getting that low score is a disaster. Besides, it's not the grades but what reviews are saying. The game is a disaster in every department. It would be a fine F2P but coming from previous failures this is unacceptable.

Hopefully Ori 2 is coming to save the day for Microsoft this year. On a good note, I hope this debacle makes Microsoft give up on releasing this multiplayer-focus empty sort of game.

Hotspurr

Banned
One game does not decide the fate of a console. People again forget that most of the best games on either console tend to be multiplatform. Sony does have a few stellar ones, if cinematic games is your thing.

However, this just looks bad if you're an Xbox fan. An exclusive definitely means it should be a cut above the rest, and this game is mostly a bomba. Makes me thing Microsoft was fully aware they were about to release a string of mediocre exclusives so they included them in gamepass on release to save face. Hopefully they learn from their mistakes. Too many bad missteps, and Phil has been there for years already, certainly long enough for 1 Dev cycle.

Oh well, will still try it on gamepass but I foresee getting bored after an hour or two if it's anything like the first game.

A BIG first party game under 70 is garbage. That mark may be acceptable for an indie or low-budget title but a potential big franchise title (as Microsoft has been hyping it up) getting that low score is a disaster. Besides, it's not the grades but what reviews are saying. The game is a disaster in every department. It would be a fine F2P but coming from previous failures this is unacceptable.

Hopefully Ori 2 is coming to save the day for Microsoft this year. On a good note, I hope this debacle makes Microsoft give up on releasing this multiplayer-focus empty sort of game.

Problem is, they never seem to learn....Sea of Thieves anyone?

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
One game does not decide the fate of a console. People again forget that most of the best games on either console tend to be multiplatform. Sony does have a few stellar ones, if cinematic games is your thing.

However, this just looks bad if you're an Xbox fan. An exclusive definitely means it should be a cut above the rest, and this game is mostly a bomba. Makes me thing Microsoft was fully aware they were about to release a string of mediocre exclusives so they included them in gamepass on release to save face. Hopefully they learn from their mistakes. Too many bad missteps, and Phil has been there for years already, certainly long enough for 1 Dev cycle.

Oh well, will still try it on gamepass but I foresee getting bored after an hour or two if it's anything like the first game.
Looking at Switch library...

Exclusives games can define the fate of a console... so you are wrong in that one.

You can compared 360 and XB1 too... 360 had exclusives and it did pretty well.

Last edited:

Have you actually read any of the 6/10 reviews?
"It’s just... fine."
"Crackdown 3 is an enjoyable mess."
"Crackdown 3 is a good Crackdown game, which, unfortunately, doesn't mean much anymore."
"Crackdown 3 just doesn't meet contemporary standards as a premium $60 title, with dated visuals, thin gameplay features, and an under-delivered story."
"Crackdown 3's campaign feels like it was born too late."
"Just don’t expect to come away with any fond memories or exciting stories to tell"
"Short and not very good"

That doesn't exactly scream "above average". I get exactly where you're coming from, a 6/10 should mean above average, but in games journalism it demonstrably doesn't.

Crackdown 3 isn't reviewing well, and that's a good thing!

/s

We all knew what it was going to score. I wonder what it's like to have to work on a game you know if going to be crap.

Thiagosc777

Are you taking the mainstream games media seriously? The same media who can't pass Cuphead's tutorial or can't figure out how to play scenario B in Resident Evil 2? Hahahaha

It's safe to presume that for everything they say, the opposite is true. They wouldn't be able to recognize and play a good game even if you hit them in the face with it.

Last edited:
eeesh - people rubber necking this thread like its a terrible highway accident.

people who dont own an xbox but are driving by and cant look away, yet it hurts to look at.

DanielsM

Banned
Crackdown 3 isn't reviewing well, and that's a good thing!

/s

We all knew what it was going to score. I wonder what it's like to have to work on a game you know if going to be crap.

Normally, if a product is not to my taste, I would just move on - meaning not really care if it sells or not. However, in the case of Microsoft and a ton of the low or lower quality BR titles, I hope they bomb. We might be rapidly approaching the Atari E.T. movement of poor quality.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
People again forget that most of the best games on either console tend to be multiplatform
People don't forget, but a console becomes more attractive when they can play those great multiplatform titles along with great exclusive games.

ethomaz

Banned
No, realistically, 5 is average, 6 is above average, 7 is good, 8 is great, 9 is almost perfect and 10 is fecking incredible.
You probably needs to fight the industry because average is 7 (btw average means where the avg. scores of the games sit on... you don't see a lot of 1-5 scores like you see 7-10 so you will never have avg. 5).

Said that look at the OpenCritic seal for below 70.

weak-man.png

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Are you taking the mainstream games media seriously? The same media who can't pass Cuphead's tutorial or can't figure out how to play scenario B in Resident Evil 2? Hahahaha

It's safe to presume that for everything they say, the opposite is true. They wouldn't be able to recognize and play a good game even if you hit them in the face with it.

I'm sure we should ignore all Metacritic reviews and trust bias fanboys on gaming forums.

ethomaz

Banned

Is Crackdown 3 a good game? It is not only IGN saying the opposite.

blackjon24

This is suppose to be xbox's savior? The xbox's great comeback? As someone who's never owned an xbox but respected their attempt at a console with the 360 this is just sad.

I don't believe for a second that scalebound would not have turned out better than this.

Top Bottom