• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 3 - Review Thread

Fox Mulder

Bummer. All this time and it's nothing special. The destruction and multiplayer doesn't even look as fun as Red Faction Guerilla that came out in 2009.

MS bought a bunch of studios, but must do better than what Sea of Thieves or Crackdown 3 ended up being.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
Ok, so IGN and Gamespot are the ultimate authority on games now.

Haha

For a title that has been in development for 5-6 years, one in which Microsoft promised "cloud" features over and over, and the constant firing of articles on this subject - its not a good start.

I don't think IGN or Gamespot is saying anything we didn't know by looking at the previews. (if one kept their eyes open)

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

DF's analysis shows off some pretty imagery and gameplay that's making me consider buying it. >.>

Haven't played any Crackdown yet and I heard good things about the first and DF saying it's a proper sequel to the first is making purchase more tempting.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I will say this in its favour; it's available on game pass. At the very least, people with GP can play it and make their minds up without having to drop any additional cash. Still by far the best thing MS has done this generation for that reason.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Ok, so IGN and Gamespot are the ultimate authority on games now.

Haha

You're cherry picking reviews in an attempt to discredit more than 50 reviews scores on Metacritic on a particular game. All reviews aren't honest, but that doesn't mean that applies to the majority of the reviews out there.

What's funny about your post in this thread?

YOU MADE a review thread on the PlayStation Classic

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/df-r...ic-review-great-games-poor-emulation.1468764/

Basically, you're ok with PlayStation products\games getting low review scores but this logic doesn't apply to Crackdown 3. Odd..

TBiddy

Not really surprised about the scores. I got a feeling Microsoft only released this because they had to, more or less.

Iorv3th

No, realistically, 5 is average, 6 is above average, 7 is good, 8 is great, 9 is almost perfect and 10 is fecking incredible.

5 out of 10 is in the middle but it's not an 'average' review score. An average would be all xbox one games put together and averaged and I bet they would be above 5/10. Most reviews even for bad games don't go that low.

It would be nice if everyone used the scale correctly but no site does that. So if 5/10 is 'average' to you, then 99.9% of all games released today are above average and like 50% of them are masterpieces.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
No one is surprised. Of course they should have cancelled it long ago, but it's nice to have this behind us. CD represents the last of the old guard at Xbox. Looking forward to what the future will bring.

Last edited:

Thiagosc777

You're cherry picking reviews in an attempt to discredit more than 50 reviews scores on Metacritic on a particular game. All reviews aren't honest, but that doesn't mean that applies to the majority of the reviews out there.

The majority of reviews coming from mainstream sites are useless. They are likely to use the game to talk about feminism, than actual gameplay. They hide their gamertags so people won't realize how little they play the games they review.

What's funny about your post in this thread?

YOU MADE a review thread on the PlayStation Classic

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/df-r...ic-review-great-games-poor-emulation.1468764/

Basically, you're ok with PlayStation products\games getting low review scores but this logic doesn't apply to Crackdown 3. Odd..

That is Digital Foundry, one of the few channels who seems to have knowledge about gaming and technology.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Honestly, after they cancelled Scalebound and Fable Legends, I think they had to hang on to this and hope it would turn out okay. And it did, kinda - it looks like no one is saying the game is bad, just that it's so mediocre compared to other available games. Doesn't even look worth playing with game pass, I think I'd rather play the original.

I think that's a bit much. If you have gamepass you might as well get it a spin..

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The majority of reviews coming from mainstream sites are useless. They are likely to use the game to talk about feminism, than actual gameplay. They hide their gamertags so people won't realize how little they play the games they review.

That is Digital Foundry, one of the few channels who seems to have knowledge about gaming and technology.

Right... And you weren't in other review threads complaining about the same thing. I'm sure most people on here knows you're a fanboy, so your posts doesn't have much merit.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I think that's a bit much. If you have gamepass you might as well get it a spin..

Yeah, I said in my last post that it's actually a great thing that it's on gamepass, I should clarify that for me it won't be worth looking at. I just have way too much other shit I want to check out. But yes, you're right, if you've got GP and are even remotely curious then it's worth taking a look.

Leonidas

Sad to see those scores, but I have enjoyed games with scores like that before so I'm not too worried about it, especially since it's on Game Pass...

Thiagosc777

According with all media listed in the metacritic by people that are gamers and play games.

What a hell are your weird comments?

Really?

In the comments, IGN indicates a correction on the review and there are criticism of it.

Without going into spoilers, Resident Evil 2 (both the original and the recent remake) have two "scenarios", A and B, which are radically quite different from each other. It reflects on the fact that the two protagonists (Leon and Claire) get separated at the start of the game due to a car crash and go their separate ways (though their paths often intersect), and depending on which side of the car crash they end up (player's choice of which character they want to play as first) one takes scenario A while the other takes scenario B. This means when the player does Leon Scenario A he then unlocks Claire Scenario B, or if he did Claire Scenario A he then unlocks Leon Scenario B.

The reviewer made a mistake my playing Leon Scenario A and then Claire Scenario A, which means he played the same story progression with both characters, not only skipping half the story but playing the same scenario twice back-to-back with minimal differences. He deducted points from the score of the game (which has so far recieved rave reviews for both being very faithful to the original while modernizing some key aspects), which generated backlash because it was a mistake from the reviewer and not the developers.

DanielsM

Banned

Personally, I probably would not purchase any AAA game below 75 at release and probably never but there are exceptions, so say something like Until Dawn, its not really an AAA game and it has niche gameplay. Until Dawn is great for what it is, but it should never score in the 8-10 range, its a good solid game with limited gameplay elements - still solid. As far as overall, I do disagree with some metacritic scores, but its usually an edge case, not a 50-70 range game, sorry, those are generally bad... as a generalization metacritic is pretty good at picking the duds.

Many developers have in their contracts, metacritic score as a component of compensation - that is for a reason.

Last edited:
I will say this in its favour; it's available on game pass. At the very least, people with GP can play it and make their minds up without having to drop any additional cash. Still by far the best thing MS has done this generation for that reason.

I just can't understand this rationale.

What you are saying is that because the game is incredibly cheap, it doesn't matter if its mediocre.

I'd rather pay a fair price, and get a great game instead!

By the way, I'm not having a go at you...I have read that sentiment a LOT. I just worry that it will be the death of premium gaming experiences on Xbox and pray to god that Sony and Nintendo keep looking in the other direction.

Last edited:
I don't need to read a review on IGN as to getting an overall impression of this game, which only selling point was how you can destroy everything on screen. I mean, seriously? Even if the final result would have been as promised (which is not) the game would still be mediocre or bad since everything else is subpar. This is not Sunset Overdrive, which has similar mechanics and art-style but made right. And fun.

And it's important Microsoft gets the heat for this since that is the only way for them to change the pace and start delivering. If you want Gears and Ori 's levels of greatness you cannot be tolerant to subpar products like this one.

ethomaz

Banned
I just can't understand this rationale.

What you are saying is that because the game is incredibly cheap, it doesn't matter if its mediocre.

I'd rather pay a fair price, and get a great game instead!

By the way, I'm not having a go at you...I have read that sentiment a LOT. I just worry that it will be the death of premium gaming experiences on Xbox and pray to god that Microsoft and Nintendo keep looking in the other direction.
Quality doesn't matter anymore... just give me more games mentality.

GamePass success (if it happen) will drive a new wave of cheaper games... that is one of the dark side of subscription models.

But that is a discussion for another thread with more detailed insigns.

Last edited:
Not overly worried about the review scores, I mean, it's free on Gamepass and DF liked it. I loved Crackdown and even enjoyed re-visiting it recently, so this is apparently more of the same which means it should be quite fun, if you like that kind of thing (I do).

Expectations should be managed, I expected a Crackdown game, looks like I got it. What were all these MSM game review sites expecting? Grand Theft Crackdown?

AV

I just can't understand this rationale. What you are saying is that because the game is incredibly cheap, it doesn't matter if its mediocre. I'd rather pay a fair price, and get a great game instead!

Not that it doesn't matter - like you said, I'd rather pay full price for great games (and I do). It's more the fact that people who don't bother reading about games, and game reviews, and who just want to play the new Crackdown no matter what, won't have to waste $60 doing so. They aren't going to feel ripped off if they don't enjoy the game since they haven't wasted any money on it. Edit: but of course, it is also available at retail, so maybe my point isn't as strong.

Last edited:

Thiagosc777

Not overly worried about the review scores, I mean, it's free on Gamepass and DF liked it. I loved Crackdown and even enjoyed re-visiting it recently, so this is apparently more of the same which means it should be quite fun, if you like that kind of thing (I do).

Expectations should be managed, I expected a Crackdown game, looks like I got it. What were all these MSM game review sites expecting? Grand Theft Crackdown?

Those sites are a joke. If it had more feminism in it, it'd probably get a 9.

DanielsM

Banned
Is it safe to say that Crackdown 3 is to X1 as No Man’s Sky is to PS4?
Probably worse, I mean both game can have an audience. The issue with both titles is overselling it i.e. promotion. They're both big indie-ish type titles. Microsoft continues to overpromise on cloud features, it keeps on going and going and going. Sony has other high quality titles to fall upon when NMS overpromised. imo

Over-promising and overselling come to mind on both titles.

Last edited:

azz0r

Banned
As I suspected, I was a little harsh and said 'this looks like shit'...but all my fears were confirmed; a lifeless flat boxy city that doesn't look lived in.

This is purely a technical demo, and only a good one online.

Shame.

StormCell

This is truly sad. I feel bad even though I don't own an XB1. I have such very fond memories of Crackdown and Fable. I feel like this generation will be one they learn from. Crackdown never seemed like all that hard of a game to follow up, but they seem to have missed the appeal. I still can't believe they haven't made a new Fable, as I'd have surely broken down and bought an XB1 for it by now...

Looking forward to next generation when hopefully I'm a proud Xbox owner again.

Thiagosc777

This is truly sad. I feel bad even though I don't own an XB1. I have such very fond memories of Crackdown and Fable. I feel like this generation will be one they learn from. Crackdown never seemed like all that hard of a game to follow up, but they seem to have missed the appeal. I still can't believe they haven't made a new Fable, as I'd have surely broken down and bought an XB1 for it by now...

So you won't play the game, but still want to talk shit about it. And ignored the fact that Crackdown 3 is a sequel Crackdown 1, recreating what was great about the first game.

It is ok not to like Crackdown, but your misinformed post seem to imply that somehow they didn't deliver. By the sounds of it, Crackdown 3 is exactly what Crackdown fans would want.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
No, that's false. The average score for a videogame is about 7.0.

Here is a visual representation:

oH3onC7.0.0.png

Another reason why I don't trust user score reviews anymore. Since 2011 the graph shows that something happened where "users" are overly more negative than they use to be.

demigod

Holysmokes, I thought at best it would hit 78. I knew it was going to score low when they delayed the review embargo.

Ahh well, its still a 98 for xbox fans, amirite guys?

Last edited:

guggnichso

Banned
While this is regrettable, this late in the generation one single exclusive being sub par doesn't really matter.

So, what else does MS have this year? There seems to be no new Forza, will Gears 5 be this year then? Anything else on the horizon?

Calibos

Looks like Crackdown to me...Original game style with massively improved visuals and a huge open world to collect Orbs in...who gives a shit about the reviews for this game...they never mattered on the original either.

Of the top 10 games listed for PS4 on Metacritic, 6 of them are exclusives!

For Switch, it's 5 out of 10.

For Xbox, its 1 out of 10.

Metacritic doesn't count Xbox Play Anywhere games as exclusives. MS counts them as exclusive to their platform though, which is the correct way to put it. Play Anywhere games are the future of Xbox as a platform, not a plastic fucking box...Play anywhere is also the future for everything, as is digital only and streaming. Get over yourself.

demigod

While this is regrettable, this late in the generation one single exclusive being sub par doesn't really matter.

So, what else does MS have this year? There seems to be no new Forza, will Gears 5 be this year then? Anything else on the horizon?

Forza is yearly.

Arun1910

So you won't play the game, but still want to talk shit about it. And ignored the fact that Crackdown 3 is a sequel Crackdown 1, recreating what was great about the first game.

It is ok not to like Crackdown, but your misinformed post seem to imply that somehow they didn't deliver. By the sounds of it, Crackdown 3 is exactly what Crackdown fans would want.

So if something about a review praises Crackdown then it's exactly what fans would want but if it's something bad about Crackdown it doesn't matter because they are mainstream journalists... okay, makes sense.

Play Anywhere games are the future of Xbox as a platform, not a plastic fucking box...Play anywhere is also the future for everything, as is digital only and streaming. Get over yourself.

Okay Dad.

You're right of course, gamers all over the world can't wait for the digital only and streaming future.

I do quite like the 'plastic fucking boxes' though.....

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
Looks like Crackdown to me...Original game style with massively improved visuals and a huge open world to collect Orbs in...who gives a shit about the reviews for this game...they never mattered on the original either.

The original game scored a 83 on metacritic. It was a strange title for Microsoft to double and triple down on as an AAA title. They should have not over-promised the cloud nonsense, made it a more of an indie title (like the first one) and released on XBL at a reduced price. Its simple not an AAA franchise type game, never was, and chance are never will be.

Microsoft kind of went in the wrong direction. imo Crackdown was not really a huge seller, the first one did decent.

Last edited:

-MD-

Oh, please! Nothing was under-delivered. The Cloud destruction works. And the game looks like a modern-day Crackdown Trying to down play only serves to prove youre either blind or a hater. It was scaled back for good reason.

And I fail to understand how development challenges and long dev time means the game is actually bad. That's about the dumbest thing Ive heard all gen. Typically, they delay a game to make sure it's right?

Thank god in 23 hours we get to play this instead of being told by people who haven’t played it and don’t intend to play it just how bad it is.

I’m excited for it and no Debbie Downers are going to derail it, as the first game was pure Crack to me, if it looked and felt more like 2 I could get the trepidation, but it doesn’t.

Watching is one thing, playing is another. After the Tech test last night, it makes perfect sense why they made the choices they did.

You will quickly understand thatwatching is not the same as playing very quickly.

x3jYRyV.png

Oh.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
A breakdown of the posts in this thread:

70% PS4 fanboys concern-trolling

25% Xbox fanboys reassuring themselves

4% people who just came to see the dumpster fire

1% gamers who legitimately hoped for a good game and are honestly disappointed

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Are you taking the mainstream games media seriously? The same media who can't pass Cuphead's tutorial or can't figure out how to play scenario B in Resident Evil 2? Hahahaha

It's safe to presume that for everything they say, the opposite is true. They wouldn't be able to recognize and play a good game even if you hit them in the face with it.

And thus it starts. SoT was great, SoD2 was great, Crackdown too! It's a conspiracy I say.

Thank goodness for GP. The one thing that makes it valuable to me is letting me demo games so I don't buy them. It has kept me from buying 3-4 games now. Ironically it has not sold a game to me, which I think was their intent.

It's kinda sad that there is no competition between MS and Sony other than Hardware. Software wise, Sony have it nailed down with their 1st party games, competition is healthy in all aspects of the gaming industry but it makes me wonder if Microsoft care about the quality of their AAA games.
I'm sure MS cares, they just don't know what they're doing.. Look at Windows 10, Windows Phone, Window Store, Surface etc. I'm expecting The Initiative(wtf) to be a train wreck as well.

Top Bottom