• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 3 - Review Thread

demigod

Because they usually say that OneX has better versions of games than the Pro?, do you expect them to lie or something?. I dont remember people having problem before the mid gen consoles launched and they were saying that PS4 versions were usually better than the XB1. Were they pro Playstation then?

Nope, when they were comparing the two from the beginning of the generation, they never gave the PS4 the clear winner.

JimiNutz

Banned
As a Crackdown fan this hurts a bit but I can't say that I'm really surprised based on the footage that I've seen.

It's a real shame MS couldn't pump this much time and money into a Sunset Overdrive sequel instead.

Stuart360

Nope, when they were comparing the two from the beginning of the generation, they never gave the PS4 the clear winner.
Thats bullshit. I have watched tons of DF comparisons throughout the gen and many times they have said the PS4 version is the best. Just because they dont act like the difference is drastic, like certain fanboys act like, it doesnt make them biased.

Gamernyc78

Banned

LOL yup they started bringing up bs metrics like "but if most of your friends play on live" or if u like "the Xbox controller more" to try to add or make the Xbox versions of games more positive. It was blatant and disgusting since thy never used those metrics before. They got called out on that several times.

But shhhh u cant tell the know it alls and everything is always a conspiracy theory lol

Last edited:
This thread is an embarrassment and has been allowing the trolling to continue. There is very little discussion of reviews on crackdown 3 and now has descended all the way down to bias conspiracies.

ethomaz

Banned
What are you talking about? It's not a first party game.

So? That doesn't mean anything. It's only a first party game if Microsoft made it, but they didn't. They're lying when they call it a first party game... Sumo Digital made it, not a first party Microsoft studio. No need to move goal posts, Sea of Thieves is first party and State of Decay 2 is now first party because Undead Labs is now owned by Microsoft.
It is a first party games... I don't know how anybody can fight against that lol

Just like Bloodborne, Spider-Man, Demon's Souls, etc... all first-party games.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
I would also say the anger at reviewers for rating it so low is equally hilarious.

It's just a wake up call to the ppl that said that the ppl that were criticizing it were only ppl who never played it or were fanboys. The downgrade was so obvious that the gymnastics used to defend will be things of legend for a long time.

Last edited:

demigod

LOL yup they started bringing up bs metrics like "but if most of your friends play on live" or if u like "the Xbox controller more" to try to add or make the Xbox versions of games more positive. It was blatant and disgusting since thy never used those metrics before. They got called out on that several times.

But shhhh u cant tell the know it alls and everything is always a conspiracy theory lol

For a company that was known for their framerate tests since last gen, there was only one mention about 30fps in his review, nothing about why this game isn't 60fps. I WONDER WHY.

I'm glad there's vgtech and nxgamer.

ROMhack

A bit off-topic but do journalists collude beforehand to agree to collectively give it a certain score? I think it's perfectly fine to like or dislike games but these are roughly all the same scores with no outlier. My paranoia is surely tingling but I swear they must check with one another just in case it harms their individual integrity. Either that or they're clones.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
A lot of people have turned against Uncharted 4 since its release. There have been threads on here about it.
My problem is that GOW3 is one of my fave games of all time. Its close to perfect as you can get for an action game. The new GOW just did it wrong for me (although i haven't played it, i did watch a playthrough).
Play it... while it is different it is really amazing.

Combat is pretty good too.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
This thread is an embarrassment and has been allowing the trolling to continue. There is very little discussion of reviews on crackdown 3 and now has descended all the way down to bias conspiracies.

I think generally the reviews appear to be what we have witnessed as far as previews over the last few months. Its about what I expected, except I would have guessed a little higher overall MC score, say high 60s/low 70s. The overall impressions of the reviews, generally speaking shouldn't be a shock to anyone - one can look at the various videos going around the last week and it is what it is.

Slightly lower scores than I was expecting but more or less what I was expecting - the only thing shocking is people are shocked.

Last edited:
I think generally the reviews appear to be what we have witnessed as far as previews over the last few months. Its about what I expected, except I would have guessed a little higher overall MC score, say high 60s/low 70s. The overall impressions of the reviews, generally speaking shouldn't be a shock to anyone - one can look at the various videos going around the last week and it is what it is.

Slightly lower scores than I was expecting but more or less what I was expecting - the only thing shocking is people are shocked.
The discussion on reviews is valid if that's their opinion on the actual game. Im talking about all the other bullshit going on.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
I’d be interested to hear what went on behind the scenes, with the destruction being cloud based and being performed by a different studio I would have expected the game to look a lot nicer.

Did the cloud destruction actually impact the consoles processing power more than what was expected?

I’d imagine the SP graphics were held back by MP.

thief183

I don't understand, what they say in the reviews and the gameplay footage looks very different from the final vote. Not that I'm really interested in it, I don't play single player and if I do is european "junk".

Wasn't this the flagship for the "best lineup in Xbox history" blah blah blah.

It's a shame, because I loved the 1st one on 360.

Looks like if you love the first one you''l love this one too

The writing was on the wall. How many more mediocre games are gonna be shoved out just to pump Game Pass numbers before Xbox fans start realizing that quality has taken a turn for the worse. The only team fans can rely on at this point is Playground Studios

people who think that all the teams that they've been buying, are gonna get AAA budgets to put their games on gamepass, are delusional. I can only see playground and the initiative getting big budgets. Everyone else is gonna get chump change.
They just want to fill their store with cheap shovelware to trick people into subscribing.

DanielsM

Banned
I’d be interested to hear what went on behind the scenes, with the destruction being cloud based and being performed by a different studio I would have expected the game to look a lot nicer.

Did the cloud destruction actually impact the consoles processing power more than what was expected?

Offloading the processing of physics, although can gain additional power usage, it also comes with more complex design. Which is what everyone was saying back in 2014, nobody said it wasn't possible - everyone was saying that the benefits probably would not outweigh the cons of a more complex design.

"Did the cloud destruction actually impact the consoles processing power more than what was expected?"

Possible, I mean even though its getting processed in the cloud on the physics side, that doesn't help with rendering I wouldn't think. This had to be grand slam and it really isn't even a bunt single. I'm not trying to hate on it, I think Phil has an impossible task - add cloud services to things that really don't need it, generally speaking. He is looking for a solution for problems that don't exist so that he can please Nadella, Nadella cares about one thing - Cloud. Its over-promising on Cloud that to me is the main problem, not that there can't be areas where Cloud can be useful - overselling an idea can lead to disaster.

I really miss the days of the old Xbox 2001 - 2008, good tech, good hardware (absent RROD), and good games. (The truth though, that wasn't making money... so I don't know what they can do.)

Last edited:
People are using Metacritic to assume this game isn't going to sell and do nothing for Xbox even though there's a 60 range MC Xbox game that sold over 3 million units.

Okkkkkkkkkkk.

I think it's a bit too early to come to these conclusions based on an aggregate site who weights some websites more than others. Let's wait 24 hours after launch or a week after launch and sees if this game does well enough to get a 1 million sold in a day/week announcement.

I'm interested to see who's online once the game goes public, already there's a decent amount of players on early release and street date broken skus, so who knows the game may do better than what people are expecting.

Or worse.

Grinchy

Banned

That's one thing I am wondering about, though I'm not wondering about the graphics. If the team making the single player game was able to focus only on the campaign, then it can't even be said that the multiplayer caused all the delays.

And even if the multiplayer did cause the delays, that should theoretically have just given even more polish time to the team making the campaign. But ultimately, at least according to many reviews, the campaign seems half-baked. I was slightly looking forward to trying the campaign, but some of the gameplay videos they showed did look very lackluster. This one in particular.

MS produce it, control it, fund it and publish it. It's their IP, the only thing they didn't do is buy the developers, I wonder why?
All that means is that a first party developer can create it in the future, then it'd be a first party game. Sumo Digital probably wants to remain independent like Insomniac, another second party developer who makes second party exclusives.'

Just stop

Not gonna happen. Just because you highlight an article of an oblivious marketing lie, doesn't make it true, let alone a fact. It is a second party game that too many people in this thread have been fooled by.

Wikipedia said:
In the video game industry, a first-party developer is part of a company which manufactures a video game console and develops exclusively for it. First-party developers may use the name of the company itself (such as Nintendo), have a specific division name (such as Sony's Polyphony Digital) or have been an independent studio before being acquired by the console manufacturer (such as Rare or Naughty Dog).[6] Whether by purchasing an independent studio or by founding a new team, the acquisition of a first-party developer involves a huge financial investment on the part of the console manufacturer, which is wasted if the developer fails to produce a hit game in a timely manner.[7]However, using first-party developers saves the cost of having to make royalty payments on a game's profits.[7]

Just stop.

It is a first party games... I don't know how anybody can fight against that lol

Just like Bloodborne, Spider-Man, Demon's Souls, etc... all first-party games.

The only people who call them "first party games" are the companies who own the IP's of those game, but their studios didn't make them. The games you listed are all second party games, nothing changes if they own the IP. How many people believe this marketing tactic, exactly?

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Dude what happend to Xbox exclusives?

Seriously?
What happened is that Nintendo and Sony are putting out multiple top tier 10/10 games that are exclusive. And to get teams that make games that good, it honestly takes decades. Both Sony and Nintendo have teams that have made mediocre games, and learned. Then gone back and made the next ones better, and the ones after that even better. Now they're just on a different level. It's the kind of thing you can't just buy and fix in 2 years. It takes investment for over 10 years. MS is very behind.

DanielsM

Banned
The only people who call them "first party games" are the companies who own the IP's of those game, but their studios didn't make them. The games you listed are all second party games, nothing changes if they own the IP. How many people believe this marketing tactic, exactly?

Its a first party IP developed by a third party developer, and this one is an exclusive. (the industry will sometimes refer to these as second party games, so I think that is a correct term as well)

Not sure it matters much, this was one of the few ones they (microsoft) could market as a big exclusive for the year.

Last edited:

McCheese

I’d be interested to hear what went on behind the scenes

Oh man, it's a clusterfuck of a story.

- Developed by a team without any previous gaming experience for almost 2 years.
- Had it's main feature ripped out of the SP mode half way into development.
- Got forked into two separate builds by two separate studios.
- Finally the SP was so shite they got Sumo to bail them out by starting almost from scratch re-using the MP assets, with 12 months to get something game-passable out the door.

It wouldn't have even made it this far if Scalebound didn't also have problems. The metascore is higher than most folks in the know were expecting. Little victories :D

Shmunter

Well at least you can’t accuse the Jurno’s for shilling with this one.

A good socking stuffer for gamepass.

Last edited:
This is disappointing as I had high hopes that this game would be the return of the original crackdown. I loved Crackdown despite it looking rough, Crackdown 2 was a let down, and this appears to follow the path 2 set down. I'll give it a shot, but I'm expecting no more than I already was. When a Switch game like Astral Chain comes out of nowhere and pulls off the same art style better on a portable system something has obviously gone wrong.

All that means is that a first party developer can create it in the future, then it'd be a first party game. Sumo Digital probably wants to remain independent like Insomniac, another second party developer who makes second party exclusives.'

Not gonna happen. Just because you highlight an article of an oblivious marketing lie, doesn't make it true, let alone a fact. It is a second party game that too many people in this thread have been fooled by.

It's a 1st party title contracted by Microsoft to a 3rd party publisher just like Pokemon is a series of 1st party games contracted by Nintendo to Game Freak who is a 3rd party developer or Spider man was a 1st party game contracted to Insomniac who is a 3rd party developer. They are all 1st party titles as the publisher owns the rights to the game.

Xenon

Reactions to the Crackdown 3 reviews sicken me.

Its a first party IP developed by a third party developer, and this one is an exclusive. (the industry will sometimes refer to these as second party games, so I think that is a correct term as well)

Not sure it matters much, this was one of the few ones they (microsoft) could market as a big exclusive for the year.
At least you're aware that second party exclusives are a thing. That's the correct terminology, not 'first party'.

It's a 1st party title contracted by Microsoft to a 3rd party publisher just like Pokemon is a series of 1st party games contracted by Nintendo to Game Freak who is a 3rd party developer or Spider man was a 1st party game contracted to Insomniac who is a 3rd party developer. They are all 1st party titles as the publisher owns the rights to the game.

Not correct. You listed second party games of a similar stature. Second party is a first party publisher who owns the rights to a game that a third party developer has made. Microsoft lies when they tell you it's first party.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
At least you're aware that second party exclusives are a thing. That's the correct terminology, not 'first party'.

I would say either second party, second party exclusive OR first party, third party developed could be correct, I would not call this (Crackdown 3) a first party title without additional information similar to say Bloodborne.... exclusive, sure, not a first party title though.
(I think we're in agreement)

Last edited:

AlexxKidd

A breakdown of the posts in this thread:

70% PS4 fanboys concern-trolling

25% Xbox fanboys reassuring themselves

4% people who just came to see the dumpster fire

1% gamers who legitimately hoped for a good game and are honestly disappointed

leo-toast-2.nocrop.w710.h2147483647.gif

I really don't understand the MC reactions in this thread. What if the game sold 400 million units? I know that's an extreme example but the point remains, what if this game is a success ales wise and financially? You know, like Sea of Thieves was?

When did review scores determine a game is doomed? Did the rules suddenly change?

DanielsM

Banned
I really don't understand the MC reactions in this thread. What if the game sold 400 million units? I know that's an extreme example but the point remains, what if this game is a success ales wise and financially? You know, like Sea of Thieves was?

When did review scores determine a game is doomed? Did the rules suddenly change?

Microsoft generally doesn't release that kind of information anymore. SoT being a success is not known financially, although third parties do have some retail numbers. My guess is its a loser and probably by a significant margin, but this is just a huge guess. My guess is nobody wants to see the price of SoT development costs, but don't fret... Microsoft has deep pockets.

Last edited:

sea of thieves was a success?

Microsoft generally doesn't release that kind of information anymore. SoT being a success is not known financially, although third parties do have some retail numbers. My guess is its a loser and probably by a significant margin, but this is just a huge guess. My guess is nobody wants to see the price of SoT development costs, but don't fret... Microsoft has deep pockets.

So you're going to pretent that Microsoft released that official statement about Sea of Thieves being a financial success and the fastest selling new IP from MS this gen?

MattKeen

Neo Member
I am really enjoying the campaign. Played online coop for 3 hours today. Like I understand the bad reviews. Some of the animations are bad and what not. But I'm enjoying every moment. Collecting orbs and jumping up buildings is fun.

Codes 208

Gold Member
The game activates tonight so I’ll save final judgement until I get to play it. Campaign was made by Sumo digital so I don’t doubt them as much as whatever the hell wrecking done was made to be.

DanielsM

Banned
So you're going to pretent that Microsoft released that official statement about Sea of Thieves being a financial success and the fastest selling new IP from MS this gen?
Well, that isn't saying much Quantum Break, Ryse and Sunset Overdrive didn't sell, so we sold better... doesn't mean much i.e. context. Also, it doesn't mean it was financially successful, even if it did sell a decent amount, a decent amount isn't always enough i.e. development/marketing costs. (i'm not trying to crap on the lack of sales, I do dispute SoT is financially successful, but the truth of the matter we will probably never know)

Last edited:
I would say either second party, second party exclusive OR first party, third party developed could be correct, I would not call this (Crackdown 3) a first party title without additional information similar to say Bloodborne.... exclusive, sure, not a first party title though.
(I think we're in agreement)
We're absolutely in agreement! Not sure why others in this thread, respectfully, can grasp this.

Well, that isn't saying much Quantum Break, Ryse and Sunset Overdrive didn't sell, so we sold better... doesn't mean much i.e. context.

I've come to think that we should never trust anything Microsoft says at this point. I mean, they already call second party games "exclusive". This is about as truthful as that PR statement is, so you never know where they're going to go next with it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom