• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown video

I urge my fellow Americans to pick up the new (to us) Edge with Viva Pinata on the cover. There's a spectacular Crackdown writeup in there. One nice note is that killing civvies WILL COST YOU. Eventually you become a rogue agent, and they send out people to take you out, so that's a whole other headache to deal with.

I really like the city design. The cartoony nature of the game seems to have given them free reign to make a very interesting looking city, in terms of lighting and architecture.

PhatSaqs

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
I urge my fellow Americans to pick up the new (to us) Edge with Viva Pinata on the cover. There's a spectacular Crackdown writeup in there. One nice note is that killing civvies WILL COST YOU. Eventually you become a rogue agent, and they send out people to take you out, so that's a whole other headache to deal with.

I really like the city design. The cartoony nature of the game seems to have given them free reign to make a very interesting looking city, in terms of lighting and architecture.
Sounds cool.

Do they mention cutscenes or anything like that?

PhatSaqs said:
Sounds cool.

Do they mention cutscenes or anything like that?

Oh shit, you know they actually go a lot into the way the "story" is structured. Basically, it isn't. I don't believe there are any cutscenes. There are 21 bosses right from the start and the game and the city's islands (three of them) are set up so that you can't get to the higher ups until you take out the scrubs. Just to also reiterate (they talked about this way back), if you take out, say, one of the bosses' Weapons' Dealers, the members of that syndicate that you have to fight will have less/weaker munitions, and so on across the board. After you beat a boss, you'll see a visual change in the streets, which will become cleaner.

As far as the structure goes, I'm guessing (by piecing together what I've read so far) that you get missions from the Agency and can carry them out at any time, but it's not like Saints Row where you follow storylines to their conclusion. You can say, "OK, I'm taking down Los Muertos" and you can work your way up from the street scrub to the kingpin. There is a heiarchy, of course, but there's no string off limits.

Also of note, there are 600 "Agility Tokens" throughout the city and that's how you level up your agility. Each of the tokens are, basically, at the end of an impromptu platform type challenge, in other words, you actively increase your agility, because you can't get to certain ones until you level up further, etcetera. Everything else levels up through action (driving, marksmanship, etc).

There's a lot more they get into. With a Viva Pinata cover, a Bioshock feature, an in depth entrevista with the Miz and this Crackdown piece, it's the Must Have 360 Owner Ish Of The Year.

raganp.jpg

Other than that, cool.

pr0cs

I dono. the game just seems real loose to me. It's odd because sometimes the physics shown in the videos seems good (super-hero type character causing carnage matches the damage shown) and other times the physics seems really fooked up. (player kicks enemy character and they go flying like they're living on the moon and in near zero gravity).

perhaps it's a side effect of the game scaling depending how the player plays (as I've read the game does depending on how you play) or perhaps it's videos from different points in the game development.

I have high hopes on the game but it's odd, the game previews (1up) read really well but every video shows the game off poorly.

I'm still up in the air on this one.

eshwaaz

pr0cs said:
I dono. the game just seems real loose to me. It's odd because sometimes the physics shown in the videos seems good (super-hero type character causing carnage matches the damage shown) and other times the physics seems really fooked up. (player kicks enemy character and they go flying like they're living on the moon and in near zero gravity).

perhaps it's a side effect of the game scaling depending how the player plays (as I've read the game does depending on how you play) or perhaps it's videos from different points in the game development.

I have high hopes on the game but it's odd, the game previews (1up) read really well but every video shows the game off poorly.

I completely agree. It looks like it could be a lot of fun, but it still needs a ton of refinement. As you mentioned, the physics look very hit-and-miss, and much of the animation is stiff and amateurish (strafe-shooting looks horrible).

clashfan

Right now the game looks solid and I would rent it. Hopefully the extra few months will turn it into a good game that I would want to buy.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
That was freaking awesome. Look how much this game evolved from E3, now it has that much time again from now to improve before release.

So what's the premise of this game? I haven't read any previews on it so I don't know what the deal is. From the video it looks like a comic book'ish GTA type game?

mikeGFG

Banned
Co-Op stuff looks hilarious. There is no ****ing way I'll be able to go back to GTA/Saint's Row after Crackdown.

Sinatar

CastleBravo said:
So what's the premise of this game? I haven't read any previews on it so I don't know what the deal is. From the video it looks like a comic book'ish GTA type game?

Watch the video phatsaq's posted.

eshwaaz

The co-op does look like an absolute blast; it's the main reason I'm interested in Crackdown right now. I was disappointed to hear that it's not possible for one character to drive while the other shoots, though.

Prine

Banned
pr0cs said:

agreed, hoping they polish this game up. Action looks fun, though incredibly rough

artist

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Stinking Hot 20+ Minute Demo With Game Creator. WMV. Quite Massive.
http://www.msxbox-world.com/media/movies-360/X06-Crackdown.wmv

The sense of scale you get when watching real prolonged play is really amazing. It may be the same size in square footage as Saints, but when you factor the verticality, it's about four times as large (or whatever number will make your jaw drop). Watch this video. And ****ing believe.
After watching that video, I'm sad because this game is not multiplatform. Looks so much fun.

Building climbing is just crazy.

Helznicht

Im just turned off by the main character and his (lack of) powers. Can you imagine how awesome this game could be if there was a "create your own hero" with custom looks and powers. Ahh, oportunity lost.....

Brannon

You know, I was just thinking that explosions need an auxillary dust cloud expanding from them during the mushrooming phase.

Then I watched this video and it knew what I was thinking. That's just spooky.

Sean

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:

The sense of scale you get when watching real prolonged play is really amazing. It may be the same size in square footage as Saints, but when you factor the verticality, it's about four times as large (or whatever number will make your jaw drop). Watch this video. And ****ing believe.

That looked fun as hell.

I can see myself screwing around in this game for hours especially in co-op.

Sinatar

BenjaminBirdie said:

That's the same video Phatsaq's posted a dozen or so posts before you.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Mr. Spinnington said:
raganp.jpg

Other than that, cool.

Have you no sense of humour? Sure its silly, but is so fricking funny.

The graphic style is growing on my, kinda A Scanner Darkly styled, rather than over the top JSRF styled.
But, either that guy is damn good or there is Just Cause lock-on :(

rage1973

360 has a pretty good lineup for Spring 2007 if they can get this released along with Forza 2. When is Blue Dragon suppose to come out in NA?

Helznicht said:
Im just turned off by the main character and his (lack of) powers. Can you imagine how awesome this game could be if there was a "create your own hero" with custom looks and powers. Ahh, oportunity lost.....
But this is the point of the game :) You can create your own hero (or choose him from a range af characters, I don't know), and then you can buil up his powers during gameplay. I don't know why they're always showing the same character, but you've got much more variety.

Wow, I thought the game was well on its way to being a turd, but it shaped up great..I actually dig the style of it now.
It absolutely looks way more fun than the typical GTA pimp/gangster bullshit.

The game still gives off a 'rough' feel though..maybe its the floaty jump (and the fact that its the same jump all the time..you have no control over how short you want to jump--mario style..it looks stupid jumping 15 feet to get on a 3 foot object in front of you). They gotta fix that.

And that shooting 'animation' while jumping is very shitty..he stands in mid air as if he's still on the ground..looks so buggy.

What they need is some nice impact-thuds such to sell the huge jump-landings and superhuman shit.

Other than that..chalk it up as another cool new IP for 2007.

Tieno

I'm really diggin' this. I'm not much for GTA style sandbox games but this seems pretty fun. But the jumping animation is a bit plain. For a game where you're going to spend a lot of time jumping in the air, the animation should be cooler, more powerful and more menacing and more varied...but maybe this is done to give the player more control in the air?

manxor

Wow, Crackdown's looking more and more like fun on a disc. The whole CoOp and vertical traversal elements really seperate it from the pack. Interesting that there's no shooting while in cars due to gameplay imbalances... I get that.

Tieno

I finally got around to watching the whole 23minutes. Wow, the co-op and combat looks pretty cool. It's kind of like GTA-sandbox platformer with the orbs.. The combat seems intense and sometimes chaotic. Very nice, interesting twist on this type of game. I don't know how much you can expect from NPC combat AI in a game like this. Really like the headquarter and the way you drive out of it.

Helznicht

But this is the point of the game You can create your own hero (or choose him from a range af characters, I don't know), and then you can buil up his powers during gameplay. I don't know why they're always showing the same character, but you've got much more variety.

I will have to be convinced of what you say. Its SO close to release and its the same thing over and over.

Powers I have seen are strength and invunerability. Is there flying characters? Engery Blasts? Telekineisis? Shields? Speed Enhancement? Or do you just keep getting stronger and tougher (ie. lame)?

Helznicht said:
I will have to be convinced of what you say. Its SO close to release and its the same thing over and over.

Powers I have seen are strength and invunerability. Is there flying characters? Engery Blasts? Telekineisis? Shields? Speed Enhancement? Or do you just keep getting stronger and tougher (ie. lame)?

He's "super-powered" he does not have "super-powers". There's a difference.

"A big one."
- Chet
Kicking & Screaming (1995)
Noah Baumbach, Writer

szaromir

Banned
Now that's something new - a 360 game half a year before it hits the shelves that's really smooth. Hopefully now Real Time Worlds will keep adding stuff so that the game doesn't get boring after 5 minutes and tune physics a bit.

manxor

Helznicht said:
This game's been delayed... it's not coming out this year.

...which is all the more reason to "believe". :)

lix2k3

MS line-up is going to be straight retarded next year... This game is back on my to-get list. I don't know how Im ever going to be able to put down Lost Planet though. But, I'll try.

Mifune

Mehmber
Okay, after watching that 20 minute video, I'm a believer. So many laugh-out-loud moments. This game is gonna be tons of fun.

Top Bottom