• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot Honest trailer

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
^ Why does anyone take anything seriously? Because they have nothing better to do

Saying "I don't think it was great" is not hate.

But you do have to admit saying something to the effect of 'Crash was never good and only tolerated by Playstation fanboys who were jealous of Super Mario 64' is pretty baitey don't you think? I mean....surely we agree right?

They could have made any number of other "sick but true" burns like how Crash was sold off to Activision and went through years of nonsense while Nintendo, the company crash callled out in the commercials has a brand new game coming out this year that is one of the most anticipated games of the decade.

Instead they went with talking about the trilogy's quality as if it were not subjective and judging it purely on Mario 64's different gameplay

NathanS

But you do have to admit saying something to the effect of 'Crash was never good and only tolerated by Playstation fanboys who were jealous of Super Mario 64' is pretty baitey don't you think? I mean....surely we agree right?

I'm talking about what has been said in this thread, most of which was "I thought they were okay, even when compared to other linear platformers." That isn't hate.

And things got heated when both said s started jumping at each other, I'm not sure who pulled the trigger first, and I don't care, but "SM64 is garbage" has also been in this thread. And I am really RAELLY sick of the misuse of the word revisionism. Pieces of art get reevaluated all the damn time, "Gone With the Wind" is in a lot lower standing today then it was when it came out, that is denying it critical and commercial success when it came out, its not acting as if those original views are some sort of binding contract for all time.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
The Mario brand has been instantly 'healed' by Odyssey and the fact that it's still not been that many years since Galaxy and Galaxy 2.

But 3D World was piss pants poor.

It's fine if you didn't care for Super Mario 3D World, I'm not gonna sit here and tell you what your opinions should be; but to call the game "Piss Pants Poor" is just objectively incorrect.

phanphare

Banned
The Mario brand has been instantly 'healed' by Odyssey and the fact that it's still not been that many years since Galaxy and Galaxy 2.

hell no it wasn't, 3D World is like a crash course of level design

especially in a thread about Crash you'd think people would put some respeck on 3D World's name

NathanS

Too bad that's not at all what the average user is saying in these threads, cos then i'd be inclined to agree

Things turned nasty as people got pissed at the original "they're okay" sentiment. But you know what I'll go one higher, saying "I think X is a bad game" is ALSO not hate, its an opinion.

Hektor

Things turned nasty as people got pissed at the original "they're okay" sentiment. But you know what I'll go one higher, saying "I think X is a bad game" is ALSO not hate, its an opinion.

This isn't about people having an opinion, this is about how people go around stating it which as plagued literally all freakin CB threads here since the announcement of the remake

If people were just to say that they didn't liked the game it would be an entirely different thing than if they were to dismiss everyone elses opinion as stupid nostalgia, sonyponying or 2poor4n64 memes

If you want any actual gravitas assigned to the term "classic" I'd suggest people don't go slapping it on every game that gives them tingles in their special nostalgia space.

Look back objectively, study the gameplay, the time it was released. Then if you still want to call it a classic...well good for you! You can put it in with Spyro and all the other average games you loved when you were 5!

Crash was always ok but was never great. There's some serious childhood rose-tinted goggles going on.

Exactly.
But back then i just figured people who thought this was soooo good probably didn't have a Nintendo console.

Don't even mention the god-aweful character design.

Crash was one of those games your PSX only friend would gush over like it was the 2nd coming of 3d platforming Jesus and potential Mario killer, but if you also played SM64 you'd probably feel sorry for him.

AdanVC

The original Crash games were fun when they came out. I played them and enjoyed them loads, but they haven't aged as good as other similar games such as Mario 64 or Banjo-Kazoie.

The original Crash games were fun when they came out. I played them and enjoyed them loads, but they haven't aged as good as other similar games such as Mario 64 or Banjo-Kazoie.

Mario 64 has arguably aged worse than Crash 2 when it comes to graphics, camera and overall artstyle/design.

I have a hard time thinking of stuff that has aged poorly in Crash 2. Crash 1 has the abysmal save system and more clunky control/animation and Crash 3 has some awkward gimmick stages but Crash 2 is just as solid as they come.

But not to be too Sony Pony here, Crash 2 has aged better than 90%+ of PSX library.

This is such insane nonsense that I'm pretty sure you're trolling, but

Mario's brand was never in need of "healing."
3D World was highly acclaimed and is up there as one of the best platformers ever made. NSMBU and NSLU are in the top 5 of best sidescrolling platformers ever made.

Meanwhile Mario Run was downloaded over 50 million times in its first week of release, Mario was essentially the cultural representative of the entire country of Japan at the Olympics, and is the primary basis of lands they're building at theme parks.

Saying it sold like 8 copies implies it did horrible, I'm sure it did at least 100k in all those years and I'm lowballing here.

it didn't do horrible, i'm sure it did very well but the poster was alluding that it made a difference in the grander scheme of things, which it didnt.

SgtCobra

it didn't do horrible but the poster was alluding that it made a difference in the grander scheme of things, which it didnt.
We don't know, you're as much guessing as he is, plus saying it sold 8 copies is pretty much implying it did horrible :p. He could be right but so could you. We dont have any numbers.

in all honestness, how many copies do you think it took to be in the top 5 classic chart in any given month?

Well we know the original Crash passed 500.000 back in 2013 in Pal regions alone so it's probably around a million copies for each of the Crash games when combining all regions.

ZeoVGM

Banned

That's a fine opinion, which you are entitled to. But you're in the minority. It's a critically acclaimed game.

Easily one of the best games this gen.

Budi

Why y'all taking a honest game trailer so seriously?
I wouldn't be surprised that same people get upset at Conan's Clueless Gamer videos. I love games too, but some people are way too attached to their favorite games. It blinds them completely and they can't see what is humour and what is actual critique. Though even in the cases of actual critique there can be even bigger overreactions. It's baffling.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Let's just agree that Klonoa is the best platformer of the gen and call it a day.

I cannot agree, because I think at the very least:
- Super Mario 64
- Banjo-Kazooie
- Banjo-Tooie
- Conkers BFD
- Rayman 2
- Crash 2
- Crash 1

are better.

_Rob_

- Super Mario 64
- Banjo-Kazooie
- Banjo-Tooie
- Conkers BFD
- Rayman 2
- Crash 2
- Crash 1

are better.

*+ Spyro 2

Although I do have a soft spot for Klonoa and Klonoa 2, very charming games.

rjc571

Banned
Please, Tooie, Crash 1 and conker aren't better than Klonoa.

Yep, the only ones better than Klonoa are Crash 2 and MAYBE Rayman 1, and MAAAAYBE Rayman 2 if you only consider the DC version and not the inferior N64/PS1 versions, but at that point you'd no longer be in the same generation anyway. Conker and Banjo aren't even platformers in the first place, and even Super Mario 64 is difficult to consider as the same genre since its platforming is so trivial outside of the Bowser stages.

- Super Mario 64
- Banjo-Kazooie
- Banjo-Tooie
- Conkers BFD
- Rayman 2
- Crash 2
- Crash 1

are better.

No Tomba and Jumping Flash? The JF series is really the most underrated platformer series I can think of. It's a 3D platformer that not only existed before Mario 64, but it's also in first person. Yet even back then they got it right. I hope that it's one of Sony's remaster projects as I think it'd shock people to see just how well it holds up. It's a FP game from 95 where you can actually see your feet when you look down.

CryptiK

Crash vs Mario 64 is like comparing apples and oranges theyre both fruits but completely different. Spyro vs Mario 64 on the other hand is a fair comparison.

Cwarrior

Crash was always trash next to Rayman and spyro.

Now crash team racing is the best thing to come out of crash.

Lol that honest trailer was brutal.

goldenpp72

Crash was always trash next to Rayman and spyro.

Now crash team racing is the best thing to come out of crash.

Lol that honest trailer was brutal.

Trash compared to Rayman? Maybe 2 was a league ahead but the rest of the series wishes it could reach Crash's jorts.

Brickhunt

Lame video.

Yeah, I like Crash Bandicoot, but I also watch lots of Honest Trailers. This one was not good. The comedy was off and it was very negative, way more than the usual.

Toxi

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised that same people get upset at Conan's Clueless Gamer videos. I love games too, but some people are way too attached to their favorite games. It blinds them completely and they can't see what is humour and what is actual critique. Though even in the cases of actual critique there can be even bigger overreactions. It's baffling.
Conan's Clueless gamer videos offend me because they were once legitimately funny and then the format got ruined by the focus on celebrity appearances.

Top Bottom