• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot Honest trailer

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I've never found the Crash games to be as good as such a large fan base would make you think.

I mean, MARIO 64 was just on a completely different level: more open, more variety, real 3D, better camera, more varied gameplay, more varied environments, etc etc.

And if you consider it a 2D title, it just doesn't come near the best Mario and Sonic and DK have to offer.

Ignoring it's less ambitious design, the control never felt as tight or fluid as the bests in the genre.

That said, glad those that do love the games are getting what looks like a really well-done remake here very soon!

I bought the first game on PSN but that save system really turned me off. I have a save right before the final boss and I can get past the next couple levels, but I can never get a freaking save after that and I die. It's fristrating and I just put the controller down and played something else.

Merc_

lmao they make those sorts of jokes about every game that ends up on honest trailers. The Crash fans in the comments need to chill.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I've never found the Crash games to be as good as such a large fan base would make you think.

I mean, MARIO 64 was just on a completely different level: more open, more variety, real 3D, better camera, more varied gameplay, more varied environments, etc etc.

And if you consider it a 2D title, it just doesn't come near the best Mario and Sonic and DK have to offer.

Ignoring it's less ambitious design, the control never felt as tight or fluid as the bests in the genre.

That said, glad those that do love the games are getting what looks like a really well-done remake here very soon!

They're all solid games but it was definitely nowhere near the industry defining masterpiece that Super Mario 64 was.

An evolution of the 2D platformer instead of the revolution it should have been.

Might have to dig out my PSP go this weekend for a replay actually.

Stupid video with the tritest arguments.

I'm guessing this is your first rodeo with Honest Trailers?

Maximo

I mean this opinion comes up everytime Crash is mentioned so not exactly a "unpopular" opinion just one people think needs to be heard.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I think they go too far in saying Crash is bad just because Mario is a world wide icon. It was a widely lauded platformer that sold millions and had a very satisfied fanbase, for the first 4 entrees.

Yeah its obviously not Mario, but not much is like Mario. In its own right it should be respected as a piece of gaming history.

Toxi

Banned
Comparing Crash to Mario is something people stuck in the 90s do.

That includes the hilariously awful 90s Crash commercials btw.

I remember loving these games but outside of the bit in U4 I haven't touched them since the late 90's. I have them pre-ordered but also a little skeptical about how they'll play today.

Though the comparison to SM64 is unfair since SM64 is not only the best Mario game, but one of the greatest games ever made.

Hooks

Eh I can't really agree with him, I replayed through 1, 2 and 3 on my ps3 a few years back and still enjoyed the hell out of it.

He's seriously implying that linearity in platformers is automatically bad? Fuck this shit.
Yeah completely dumb

technopath

Neo Member
"Classic doesn't always mean good." But in this case it does. The more recent games being underwhelming does not diminish the higher quality of the original installments.

I remember loving these games but outside of the bit in U4 I haven't touched them since the late 90's. I have them pre-ordered but also a little skeptical about how they'll play today.

Though the comparison to SM64 is unfair since SM64 is not only the best Mario game, but one of the greatest games ever made.

I say its fair considering they release months apart.

But then again, first era of 3D gaming, so maybe not

I say its fair considering they release months apart.

The comparison were obviously inevitable back then given it was a Sony published platformer, but Crash was clearly not trying to be Mario 64. It's much more of a natural evolution of 2D platformers since instead of just throwing you into a giant world, it instead almost feels like they designed a 2D level and then dropped the camera behind Crash's back. While it came later, Spyro is clearly the much more Mario 64-inspired 3D platformer that Sony published during that era.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I mostl just don't like the revisionist history that goes on with this sort of thing. Implying crash was never good or popular is the same as the old "genesis was shit compared to SNES", when they each had their pros and cons.

Toxi

Banned
I mostl just don't like the revisionist history that goes on with this sort of thing. Implying crash was never good or popular is the same as the old "genesis was shit compared to SNES", when they each had their pros and cons.
Wait, people actually say this?

I guess the old console wars never end.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Loading on PS2 was unacceptable...of course it was a decent game, they basically copy pasted the original trilogy's template design for it

I wish Travellers Tales weren't forced to scrap all their work and redo it from scratch. Sounds like they had a lot of great ideas.

Whales

Banned
I usually love their stuff but I agree with you.
Like, he really tried to make fun of the game's flaws but jokes felt flat all around.

I liked how savage the video is. Either way, most of us know that crash games are good- which is why I already pre ordered the remaster :)

RK128

Oh, you have a very common opinion honestly. And while they aren't 'ground breaking' like Mario 64 or the Banjo games, they are damn solid platformers.

It's like the evolution of the 2D platformer; taking the side-scroller and making it a forward-scroller...if that makes any sense :l.

Crash 2 is the strongest game in the trilogy while Crash 3 has a soft spot (the music and the platforming stages are really dang solid). Crash 1 aged the worst but thanks to the N. Sane Trilogy, it should be a much smoother experience gameplay/control wise.

Just glad Gaf doesn't hate the Bandicoot nearly as much compared to last year....got so bad, I pushed my remaining retrospectives on the series to other places...

D.Lo

The comparison were obviously inevitable back then given it was a Sony published platformer, but Crash was clearly not trying to be Mario 64. It's much more of a natural evolution of 2D platformers since instead of just throwing you into a giant world, it instead almost feels like they designed a 2D level and then dropped the camera behind Crash's back. While it came later, Spyro is clearly the much more Mario 64-inspired 3D platformer that Sony published during that era.
The comparison was directly created by Sony who did ads with Crash mocking Nintendo. Straight from the early 90s Sega playbook, with what was essentially a direct Sonic ripoff.

RK128

Wrath of Cortex was good.

Fight me nerds.

*Claps hands* I like you buddy :).

Wrath of Cortex is a solid 'Crash 3.5' honestly. And considering Travelers Tales had to make it in under 12 month when Mark Cerny left the project (originally was going to be a Jak & Daxter-like game), it's really good considering that alone. The music and visuals (Xbox Version) specifically are impressive.

Twinsanity, the GBA Games (Big Adventure & N. Traced) and Nitro Kart were all solid Crash experiences too.

Phediuk

The comparison was directly created by Sony who did ads with Crash mocking Nintendo. Straight from the early 90s Sega playbook, with what was essentially a direct Sonic ripoff.

Crash is basically Donkey Kong Country starring Sonic.

I might like it more than any Donkey Kong or Sonic game, though.

TP-DK

Saying Crash Bandicoot was bad because Mario 64 was better is like saying Nintendo 64 was bad because Playstation 1.

yeah this video isn't good

like they are good games, sure there not the ground breaking title that was mario 64 but that doesn't mean they are bad, just different. expect 1, 1 isn't the best thing

Wrath of Cortex was good.

Fight me nerds.

WoC is just a worst warped, not worst thing ever but it didn't have a real clear goal

Top Bottom