• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot Honest trailer

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Wait, people actually say this?

I guess the old console wars never end.

In the past even on here, we've had to have arguments pages long with people who would try and claim that Genesis wasn't competition to SNES anywhere., Sonic was never good ect.

And now we have an 'honest trailer' that implies Crash was never good and apparently only nostalgia fuels any sort of sentiment towards it.

Just annoying

You what strange 3D platformer type game I enjoyed back then during the PS1/N64 era?

Rocket: Robot on Wheels. Probably doesn't hold up at all, but bring him back too.

jrcbandit

The first Crash game wasn't very good. That was supposedly rectified with the sequel. I dunno, I only played the first and 3rd one and did enjoy the 3rd one. I never could muster the effort to finish the first because I didn't enjoy the game play or save system.

AniHawk

yeah this video isn't good

like they are good games, sure there not the ground breaking title that was mario 64 but that doesn't mean they are bad, just different. expect 1, 1 isn't the best thing

i approached crash 1-3 for the first time in 2015. the level design and gameplay really don't hold up for me. i'm sorta interested in how the ps4 version with modern controls might fix things, but you can't really fix 'why would you do this mode' as the honest trailers guy puts it. that stuff only makes sense in the context that 3d was once a new thing and showing a character moving to and from the screen was a new and exciting idea.

and mario 64 basically became the gold standard. i'd say spyro gets a lot right for just doing what nintendo did and putting a different spin on it. to be fair though, i don't think a lot of platformers from that era have held up well, from banjo-kazooie, to crash, to dk64, to spyro. a lot of games were trying to find their footing in 3d space. aside from mario 64, i think only rayman 2 can hold its own today, and even that feels pretty dated in 2017.

Tagg9

The first Crash game wasn't very good. That was supposedly rectified with the sequel. I dunno, I only played the first and 3rd one and did enjoy the 3rd one. I never could muster the effort to finish the first because I didn't enjoy the game play or save system.

The general opinion is that the series got better with each instalment in the trilogy, although there are some that believe Crash 2 was better than Warped.

i approached crash 1-3 for the first time in 2015. the level design and gameplay really don't hold up for me. i'm sorta interested in how the ps4 version with modern controls might fix things, but you can't really fix 'why would you do this mode' as the honest trailers guy puts it. that stuff only makes sense in the context that 3d was once a new thing and showing a character moving to and from the screen was a new and exciting idea.

and mario 64 basically became the gold standard. i'd say spyro gets a lot right for just doing what nintendo did and putting a different spin on it. to be fair though, i don't think a lot of platformers from that era have held up well, from banjo-kazooie, to crash, to dk64, to spyro. a lot of games were trying to find their footing in 3d space. aside from mario 64, i think only rayman 2 can hold its own today, and even that feels pretty dated in 2017.

I think nostalgia has a huge effect on it as well. I only played Crash Bandicoot back in the day, as I didn't have an N64. I replayed the trilogy a few years back and it still played great IMO albeit seemed much easier (seeing as I was 10 when it first came out). I played Mario 64 for the first time several years back and almost immediately gave up because it didn't have the same fluidity as Super Mario Galaxy. Having said that, Mario 64 probably controls better than the Bandicoot, it's just that the same amount of precision wasn't necessary.

Honest Trailers isn't my sort of humor but I just wanted to see more opinions on Crash in the thread.

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I've never found the Crash games to be as good as such a large fan base would make you think.

I mean, MARIO 64 was just on a completely different level: more open, more variety, real 3D, better camera, more varied gameplay, more varied environments, etc etc.

And if you consider it a 2D title, it just doesn't come near the best Mario and Sonic and DK have to offer.

Ignoring it's less ambitious design, the control never felt as tight or fluid as the bests in the genre.

That said, glad those that do love the games are getting what looks like a really well-done remake here very soon!

I agree with you. I still enjoy Crash 3 and sort of 2, so I'll still probably get the "remaster" but I do agree that Crash wasn't the best in his class even back when he was popular. Even if you ignore Mario 64, the Spyro trilogy and Banjo Kazooie were so much better both in terms of ambition and execution.

CTR is still shockingly great, though

FingerBang

It was the majority opinion back then as well.

That's exactly why this remake is happening and it's probably going to sell a lot. Because those games suck and most people refused to play them cause a different game on a different console was better.

massoluk

Banned
Look, I can handle them calling Splatoon motion was bad, you can handle the fact that Crash was never in the same league with or hold up as well as SM64

AniHawk

i've found that a lot of 3d 5th gen stuff doesn't hold up for me. for a long time i had a strong attachment to ocarina of time, but playing the 3ds remake made me realize just how compact the levels were and how simple the solutions were. of the games i've returned to after gen 7 started, only majora's mask and panzer dragoon saga felt like they could be modern games.

Alienfan

Most of what he said is true. Solid controls, shit camera, a few racist characters and staring a failed 90s furry looking mascot. There's no way the remake won't be better than the original. I'm failing to see the harshness

Caayn

Having watched a lot of honest game trailers I don't see how this is different from other videos in this series ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mezoly

There seems to be more negativity in the script of this video than other Honest Trailers, huh. At least they praised the kart games.

Last week Switch Honest trailer was also critical/negative and meh as well. Their movie side jokes are so much better than their gaming counterpart.

Banzai

Can't watch the video right now, but comparing Crash to Mario64 is as dumb as ever. Just as it was in the commercials with a guy in a Crash suit yelling at a Nintendo building (although I would like to think those were not serious).

Mario64 is exploring free environments to find collectibles, while jumping to get to locations.
Crash is overcoming obstacles on a linear path through jumping.
They both have platforming in their DNA, except Crash has nothing but (ignoring the gimmicky levels in 3).

You're free to like one over the other and I know Mario64 certainly wins that popularity contest, but try not to shit on the other as if it has not merit at all.

I for one absolutely prefer Crash. Yes, I grew up with Playstation and Crash was the only platformer I played as a kid. But I have played many platformers since. I love Mario Galaxy and 3D world, but I could never get into Mario64. I don't want to explore big levels to find coins in a platformer, I want to jump over things. The smaller, more "Crash-like" levels (if you can forgive that term) are great, there's just too little of that for me.

Feel free to ignore my opinion because of my Crash avatar.

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I've never found the Crash games to be as good as such a large fan base would make you think.

I mean, MARIO 64 was just on a completely different level: more open, more variety, real 3D, better camera, more varied gameplay, more varied environments, etc etc.

And if you consider it a 2D title, it just doesn't come near the best Mario and Sonic and DK have to offer.

Ignoring it's less ambitious design, the control never felt as tight or fluid as the bests in the genre.

That said, glad those that do love the games are getting what looks like a really well-done remake here very soon!

Exactly.
The remake might be a bit of fun for me now. Nostalgia wise. But back then i just figured people who thought this was soooo good probably didn't have a Nintendo console.

Don't even mention the god-aweful character design.

JayBabay

Crash 2 was the first game my parents bought me with my PlayStation, will always love that game, it was good for me when I played it.

groansey

Crash was always ok but was never great. There's some serious childhood rose-tinted goggles going on. He's a cool character but the 3D platforming was limp. The game was massively overshadowed on release.

I'm surprised the video didn't mention Tasmanian Devil. Crash is clearly based on him right down to his moveset.

Spyro was the better game.

Feorax

Exactly.
The remake might be a bit of fun for me now. Nostalgia wise. But back then i just figured people who thought this was soooo good probably didn't have a Nintendo console.

Don't even mention the god-aweful character design.

I had one. Didn't find Mario 64 to be that much fun to be honest. Much preferred the Crash trilogy.

Trace

Banned
Crash was always ok but was never great.

Good to see we have some historical rewriting here. There's a reason the Crash series is the highest selling PS1 classics and sold some of the most of any game on the PS1 at the time. And it's not because they were "ok".

Hektor

The ridiculous amount of 90's platform warrior salt crash is bringing out amongst supposed adults on gaf, never fails to be hilarious

I had one. Didn't find Mario 64 to be that much fun to be honest. Much preferred the Crash trilogy.

Same. Played 64 near launch but it is not even in my top 5 mario games list.
Really Good game but not that great.
Crash (2) on the other hand is a near perfect platformer.

Lynd7

The general opinion is that the series got better with each instalment in the trilogy, although there are some that believe Crash 2 was better than Warped.

I think nostalgia has a huge effect on it as well. I only played Crash Bandicoot back in the day, as I didn't have an N64. I replayed the trilogy a few years back and it still played great IMO albeit seemed much easier (seeing as I was 10 when it first came out). I played Mario 64 for the first time several years back and almost immediately gave up because it didn't have the same fluidity as Super Mario Galaxy. Having said that, Mario 64 probably controls better than the Bandicoot, it's just that the same amount of precision wasn't necessary.

I think Galaxy is less fluid than 64, Mario is a bit stiffer to me in Galaxy.

groansey

Good to see we have some historical rewriting here. There's a reason the Crash series is the highest selling PS1 classics and sold some of the most of any game on the PS1 at the time. And it's not because they were "ok".

No historical rewriting. I was 14 and owned a Playstation at the time. Crash got respectable reviews and the character was popular but the limited 3D was criticised at the time given we had Tomb Raider and Mario 64. So sales = quality now? I'm not saying Crash was bad, it was just... average.

silva1991

Look, I can handle them calling Splatoon motion was bad, you can handle the fact that Crash was never in the same league with or hold up as well as SM64

Never played Mario 64. Is it much better than the Galaxy games? because I played and loved the Galaxy games(and played other inferior 3D and 2D games) and I don't think they are better than Crash 2 and 3.

Mario 64 is the only essential 3D home console Mario games I haven't played.

Wtf is this narrative that because Mario 64 was so incredibly good that it made Crash a piece of shit simply because it wasn't as good. I had both Mario 64 and Crash and enjoyed the hell out of both of them when they came out. Hard to believe, I know.

Lokimaru

Shit even sold in Japan.

The comparison was directly created by Sony who did ads with Crash mocking Nintendo. Straight from the early 90s Sega playbook, with what was essentially a direct Sonic ripoff.

I get why they're compared, i'm just saying when you actually play the games it's clear that they're very different. So, the whole idea that people only liked Crash because they didn't have a N64 is ridiculous.

Wtf is this narrative that because Mario 64 was so incredibly good that it made Crash a piece of shit simply because it wasn't as good. I had both Mario 64 and Crash and enjoyed the hell out of both of them when they came out. Hard to believe, I know.

It's not just Crash vs Mario 64. This thread is. But back in the day there were a lot of platformers.

KyleCross

Crash 2 and 3 are legit GOAT material, and it blows my mind to hear that there's a vocal amount of people who spit on them.

Also CTR is the best cart racer ever.

Sony basically created this "situation" by telling/convincing their fans that Crash was a worthy substitute or even BETTER THAN (lol) Mario 64. It made Crash an unofficial Sony mascot character and thus a lot of Playstation kids invested a lot into that character and those games.

It's not just Crash vs Mario 64. This thread is. But back in the day there were a lot of platformers.

Even still, there is no logic in saying the Crash games were bad because there were better platformers to play. You judge it based on its own merits, not based on how it fares against other games. It's like saying Banjo Kazooie is bad because it's not as good as Mario 64, it doesn't make sense.

Even still, there is no logic in saying the Crash games were bad because there were better platformers to play. You judge it based on its own merits, not based on how it fares against other games. It's like saying Banjo Kazooie is bad because it's not as good as Mario 64, it doesn't make sense.

It isn't bad. Where did i say that?
I just didn't think it was very special in those days.

Van Bur3n

Crash fans in shambles

Weak in the knees, giving them conniptions. Perhaps understandable when you find out orange thingy is just...okay.

I mean, I played a good amount of Crash back then as well and even then I never thought too highly of it. More so just...okay.

EDIT: Honestly, I think Dingodile had more potential.

Top Bottom