• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy runs at 1440p@30fps on PS4 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Microsoft Windows

I'm guessing you're one of those "Microsoft exclusive" make up terms for console wars type of people? If it's on another platform, it isn't exclusive. You'd have to say it's a Corsair, ASUS, NVIDIA, Intel, AMD, GIGABYTE, ASROCK ETC exclusive along with it lol

EmiPrime

That's disappointing especially for a remake compilation of games from 20+ years ago. I think they had the wrong priorities, platformers are much more enjoyable at 60fps.

EvB

I love how everyone is saying Activision would never make an exclusive they also said the same thing about EA and then everyone was shitfaced when Titanfall was Xbox exclusive and that was a major new IP.

Thee story of Titanfall is very well documented, so what you are reign to describe is quite far from the truth.

xviper

Hopefully they don't exist.

i agree with you, if a game was ever an exclusive to a system, it should always remain an exclusive and so does the entire franchise

i can't believe there are people who are okay at playing a PS1 game on a PS4 at 30FPS, are you kidding me ?? and then you find some who question me about GAF loyalty to Sony

N7.Angel

I'll take it on PC if it ever comes out, don't want to play this at 30FPS, if not, well, I'll get it at the lower price possible.

MTC100

Banned
Is 60FPS really too much to ask for in 2017 with an action oriented game like this?

Shame that Sony didn't buy Crash, ND would have made this 4k/60 easily. Still day one anyway.

Probably not, but I guess 4k@30fps would have been their target. Yet 1080p@60 would have been much better.

i agree with you, if a game was ever an exclusive to a system, it should always remain an exclusive and so does the entire franchise

i can't believe there are people who are okay at playing a PS1 game on a PS4 at 30FPS, are you kidding me ?? and then you find some who question me about GAF loyalty to Sony

wut

its not a ps1 game. its a remake.

SgtCobra

But......but....it's not a PS1 game anymore..

Glad people still defend making games cinematic, specially platformers.
Crash played fine at 30fps on the PS1. Sure, 60fps would have been better obviously but some here are acting like Crash at 30fps is something unacceptable that causes unresponsive gameplay and eye burns.

Gaenor

Banned
I had a feeling this should have been native 4k on the Pro, but what do I know. Can't wait to buy it this month.

I also hope as many people can play it as possible. Can't understand some of you...

Hektor

Other than that this is a completely irrational opinion to have, that ship has sailed 16 years ago

Crash played fine at 30fps on the PS1. Sure, 60fps would have been better obviously but some here are acting like Crash at 30fps is something unacceptable that causes unresponsive gameplay and eye burns.

Yes, they played fine at 30 fps which means I'm just fine playing them on a PSP with the added benefit of doing so on a portable.

brawly

Aaand we're back to speculating the exclusivity. Like clockwork.

Anyway, looking forward to the game. 30fps is fine.

SgtCobra

Yes, they played fine at 30 fps which means I'm just fine playing them on a PSP with the added benefit of doing on a portable.
Well that's up to you of course, you're deservedly fine to do so. I for instance care 0% about portability and am eager to play these games again with updated graphics.

Would love to see options moving forward (e.g. 4K/30 or 1080/60) like The Last of Us remaster.

Still don't get why the first trailer was 60fps in spots of the game itself won't run at that framerate.

xk0sm0sx

I like how at the beginning of this gen, people were having huge complain threads about how one platform's fidelity is not as high as the other platform's fidelity.
And then now we have this thread of people defending that 30 fps is good enough for a platformer.

Suddenly people don't care about having the best possible fidelity when Crash can surely do better.

AHA-Lambda

There are some really crazy opinions here in this thread regarding exclusivity =/

If this game is exclusive to PS4 forever then fine, but it's the reasoning some people have been using here that is just baffling.

I mean, we recently had this from Kara Massie, (one of?) the game's producers:

Guwc.png

I realise I may be inadvertently feeding into the dumb and never-ending debate, but with this much ambiguity I'd be very surprised if it didn't come to other platforms after an exclusivity period.

I feel this is the strongest indication we have yet then that it's not a full exclusive. It's textbook vague answering/dodging the question.

I never got this, just because of a one off generation on a particular platform, a few more games than others in certain genres prioritized 60fps in the 3D space and suddenly its a standard?

No FPS on console operated at 60fps back then outside of arguably Metroid Prime, yet that's never mentioned when this 'games were always 60fps "back in the day"' narrative comes about in response to the necessity. In many cases 60fps has never the standard outside of Nintendo in any respect once the third dimension gained in popularity and even Nintendo does not adhere to that in many cases. Polygons allowed for more possibility with introduced trade offs on limited hardware.

There's a lot of ways to approach frame rates though. It's been pretty standard across PC games for decades, depending on what you prioritise. I was pretty aware of it by the late 90s playing Quake. 60fps is better, but 30fps is fine for me really. Love plenty of 30fps games across all genres.

But yeah... On consoles it's not a standard, and may never be. It would be nice here, and I can see why people would anticipate it as a possibilty, but coming from 30fps source material it also can't be too surprising they chose to go down that road.

It's also possible that it's not a traditional timed exclusive rather than minimal budget and time effort making them focus only on one platform with VV not even knowing if they will port it later. Depending on the sales the team indeed could be sent straight to Destiny 2 or something.

Of course this is just speculation, I have no idea how VV teams function.

RocknRola

Not sure what's so confusing about this collection coming to other consoles. Ever since it left the hands of Naughty Dog it's never been exclusive again, so this collection releasing later on other platforms (PC/XB1/Switch/Mobile/whatever) would only be shocking if it were the 90's.

Kraq

This is a very faithful homage to the originals. 30fps is fine. If we get a future Crash 4 from VV and it's not 60fps, then concerns would be acceptable.

It's just a cheap cash in imo.

Make the game within a (low) budget and maximise profits as much as possible.

Nothing wrong with that but has absolutely nothing to do with system power to do 60fps. Less time optimising = more money.

leeh

What is this thread.

Like, the game looks fantastic, and its a glorious full remake.

The devs said they wanted to make it as pretty as possible and to-do that they went 30fps.

Let's face it, if they went 60, this thread would be full of people saying it looks like a PS1 game and they should of gone with 30fps.

I hope one day this game comes to Xbox so I can play it as I loved the Crash games when I was younger, but no biggie.

They realize that most people could care less what the specs are. Most will just buy the game off of nostalgia, play a few levels, and then never open the game up again. Why waste money optimizing when it really isn't needed.

McCHitman

Banned
And? We could be on the ps6 and it would still be 30 FPS. It's a development choice.

It is, and since 4K has been pushed to the masses so quickly it kinda sucks.

1080p 60, should have been a goal. Most didn't even hit that goal before scooting to 4K, which everyone isn't even enjoying. While everyone could enjoy 60 frames a second.

Crash thread=other platforms than the one it's announced on... every time same ol nothing gets done.

At least we've moved past the "nobody really wants Crash" stuff to thinly veiled port begging.

Actually I am really curious how this will do.
I also think it might end up as a timed exclusive, which would be a good thing.

ghostjoke

Banned
What kind of weirdo builds a gaming PC to play 60fps Crash Bandicoot?

Yes, that's exactly what I meant, an entire gaming PC for Crash. I can bump up the graphics of PSX games to a pretty fine level with various settings and texture packs on an emulator, but IIRC Crash games had their game-logic tied to 30FPS. That was my hope for this remaster; widescreen is not enough.

The games were made by Naughty Dog as a Playstation exclusive. While the brand isn't, the incarnations of the games that the N-Sane trilogy is directly based off of, are owned by Sony.

If it was on Switch, XBOX etc, then that'd have to be something Sony would need to sign off on, because they're based the meshes from the original game, created by Naughty Dog, owned by Sony.

That's why, for me it would be quite weird to see it anywhere else. It would be like Sunset Overdrive appearing on PS4, it wouldn't make sense. Microsoft don't own the property, but the do own the original game.

If it were another Crash game, a title, then I would expect to see it on other platforms. But as it is, I wouldn't expect to see the N-Sane trilogy anywhere else unless you think that's what Sony wanted out of the deal - which to me, does seem unlikely.

"Original Crash games were 30fps so 30fps is fine in this remaster" is a funny logic. Even more with other Sony games getting full 60fps treatments in remakes. And here we are talking about a 3D platformer of all genres.

Ill get NSane Trilogy eventually but its not top 1 priority anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom