• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy runs at 1440p@30fps on PS4 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Son Of D

And if it sells well they'll make the new Crash game 30fps too because the fans are okay with it. Maybe bad sales and lots of complaints will push them to consider 60fps for the next game?

Uhh, bad sales won't make the next game 60fps. Bad sales would mean there isn't a next game.

weird how games run natively at 1440p but the PS4 Pro doesn't output at 1440p if you have a 1440p monitor. 1080p or 4K only

Sucks it's not 60fps though. I was looking forward to Crash 3 but I don't really want to play a platformer at 30fps

rjc571

Banned
Which were also 30fps, enjoy.

Exactly, for me there's no point in buying the remasters if they don't feature an improved framerate. Though I suppose they get slightly more credit than Insomniac does for R&C since they managed not to cut the framerate in half.

bede-x

Why does literally every Crash thread turn up to a "will this game release on other plattforms" thread? Until further, it's PS4 only.

If they haven't explicitly said it's an exclusive - which they always shout from the rooftops - it's reasonable to expect that it'll come to other systems. Just the nature of things.

timberger

30fps wasn't exactly unexpected, but the res seems a bit low.

Guess PS4Pro is still not strong enough

Well hopefully pc /scorpio edition is 60fps

Oh dear...

Funny how so many posters are so eager to dogpile that other guy's console war post while happily ignoring this post that provoked it and set the tone of the thread in general it seems.

It's a shame, because platformers in 60fps are extremely responsive and fun. Original games worked at 30fps, but young me didn't know about the benefits of 60fps back then. Playing yooka and snake pass and the Galaxy games makes it hard to stomach 30fps platforming games.

I'll still buy this one but it's extremely disappointing to hear.

kc44135

Damn, this sucks! 60 FPS is essential for a 2D platformer. What were the Devs thinking here!? Very disappointing.

nOoblet16

I don't really see much here that tells me this couldn't have been 60FPS. Be it in terms of CPU or GPU. The areas are very small, not as populated with objects/characters and it doesn't really match up in looks compared to other similar looking 30FPS games.

It's probably a low budget title and that might be the reason why.

It's disappointing for sure but calling the developers lazy or telling them how to do their job for not making it 60fps is pretty disgusting.

Son Of D

I don't really see much here that tells me this couldn't have been 60FPS. Be it in terms of CPU or GPU. The areas are very small, not as populated with objects/characters and it doesn't really match up in looks compared to other similar looking 30FPS games.

It's probably a low budget title and that might be the reason why.
I think it's a legacy thing. They wanted to keep the feeling of the originals present.

But a 60fps model for Pro wouldn't have hurt would it?

geordiemp

nah son. I want this on Scorpio, even a year later. hopefully 4k/60

Your going to come crashing down to earth with your Scorpio beliefs, its going to be fun to watch the meltdowns.

30 FPS games are not going to be 60 FPS games with a 9.5 % CPU faster clock of Scorpio. Its still a shit jaguar. GAF will be fun.

Back on topic, I just cant see no reason why such a game could not have been 60 on any modern console in past 5 years.

Kayant

Well that's a shame but for a game like this it shouldn't be too much of an issue as long as framerate is stable + good input latency.
This isn't true. Same CPU, higher clock. A lot of people even think the Xbox One stock has the same/worse CPU than base PS4. Don't know where this comes from.

And no, I'm not trying to incite anything. Merely pointing out a fact here. Last thing I want is console war bullshit.
That is based on either test or devs talking about it. It's not necessarily the right way to describe it but we have had several devs that of commented about it being easier or being able to get more performance out of PS4's CPU than XB1's despite clockspeed difference. So the higher clock speed doesn't say much as seen with framerate differences in most games so far.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=94264594&postcount=50

In general - I don't really get why they choose DX11 as a starting point for the console. It's a console! Why care about some legacy stuff at all? On PS4, most GPU commands are just a few DWORDs written into the command buffer, let's say just a few CPU clock cycles. On Xbox One it easily could be one million times slower because of all the bookkeeping the API does.

Three Fields Entertainment dev said:

Of course the DX12 stuff on Scorpio helps things by making it bringing it in like with whnt PS4's api has been able to do already but as far has overall performance difference the 31% improvement quoted by MS is from clockspeed improvement.
Sony have said its PlayStation "first".
That's all we need to know
Actually they have not said anything like that "Officially"(As in not PR accounts). What was said to come first was Crash in Skylanders Imaginators.

PR accounts of said anything from Full exclusive to timed so it's not clear what the situation is atm.

Charamiwa

Banned
It reminds me of the new Ratchet & Clank, sure it looked really good but is that really the right priority to have in your action platformer? I wish games like this would prioritize framerates 100% of the time.

It's even more disappointing when the previous Naughty Dog collection bumps the framerate of all 3 Uncharted games to 60fps. Why then and not now?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Funny how so many posters are so eager to dogpile that other guy's console war post while happily ignoring this post that provoked it and set the tone of the thread in general it seems.
A platform warrior got baited by another platform warrior. And then other platform warriors reveal their allegiance by selectively quoting only one of them.

Niosai

This game seems like the kind of game where it being in 60 FPS wouldn't make a difference. If it's fun, why should I care about the framerate? If it's fun, it's fun. Additionally, this was probably by design.

Hektor

This game seems like the kind of game where it being in 60 FPS wouldn't make a difference. If it's fun, why should I care about the framerate? If it's fun, it's fun. Additionally, this was probably by design.

Why even make a remake. The originals are fun as well, why care about the graphics

On the one hand I'm sort of surprised they didn't go for 60fps, but on the other hand, the originals have been perfectly playable on PS1 for over 20 years at 30fps, so the complaints are massive over exaggerations.

Wiped89

nah son. I want this on Scorpio, even a year later. hopefully 4k/60

Is anyone *seriously* buying a souped up, hyper-powerful Xbox... to play Crash Bandicoot?

Like, I'm not sure a PS4 Pro is really necessary to play this. It's a remake of a PS1 platformer. This isn't exactly going to be Crysis.

Rellik

Oooh a Crash thread. I love Crash!

shocked-troy-walks-injwpue.gif

entremet

Guys, a protip.

If you want better threads, ignore the shitty posts. We're still quoting these guys?

Y'all too easy to troll.

Izuna

Banned
It's understandably disappointing. I don't know why they went with 30 (maybe to get Pro version at 4K?) or because it would have been a lot of work to convert the game to 60.

It's understandably disappointing. I don't know why they went with 30 (maybe to get Pro version at 4K?) or because it would have been a lot of work to convert the game to 60.
Its literally in the titel. Its 1440p thats miles away from 4k(3840x2160 vs 2560x1440).
3milion pixels (1440p) vs 8milion pixels (4k).
Thats almost 3 times the difference.

Plum

Can't say I'm not disappointed. It's a shame because every single ND remaster runs at 60fps except the one that would benefit from it the most. Hell, even ND themselves went to 60fps for their second platformer franchise when they could have easily pumped more resources into graphics. I'd like to hear the dev's reasoning for this at the very least.

EvB

Actually they have not said anything like that "Officially"

Thd "official" Sony Ireland twitter account.
Hxeuxfd_d.jpg]

That was the correction AFTER they said

C5IWq3PUcAAeCdF.jpg

That's the official PlayStation account, they clearly said something misleading (an easy mistake to make for the intern) and got pulled up to correct it. I really don't know why anybody thinks Activision of all companies would do an exclusive game for PS4.

Especially as the franchise was wildly popular across multi formats after they purchased it.

Ganado

Most people won't notice the difference between 30fps and 60fps once they start playing.

Actually, what is the point of 60fps anyway?
Yeah, really. I think they should push the graphics even further and go with the cinematic silky smooth 20fps. It will feel right.

Jawmuncher

Fucking Crash being serious business and needing to be a game only on PlayStation just screams people stuck in the 90s. Thinking Crash is still a PS mascot.

Like it's just Craah. You'd think people have stake in this and would lose money.

PaulloDEC

Actually they have not said anything like that "Officially"(As in not PR accounts). What was said to come first was Crash in Skylanders Imaginators.

PR accounts of said anything from Full exclusive to timed so it's not clear what the situation is atm.

I mean, we recently had this from Kara Massie, (one of?) the game's producers:

Guwc.png

I realise I may be inadvertently feeding into the dumb and never-ending debate, but with this much ambiguity I'd be very surprised if it didn't come to other platforms after an exclusivity period.

Son Of D

Guys, a protip.

If you want better threads, ignore the shitty posts. We're still quoting these guys?

Y'all too easy to troll.
I've noticed that people on this board enjoy being trolled. Why else would they give trolls the attention they want by quoting them or making gifs and memes about them?

Kayant

Hxeuxfd_d.jpg]

C5IWq3PUcAAeCdF.jpg

That's the official PlayStation account, they clearly said something misleading (an easy mistake to make for the intern) and got pulled up to correct it. I really don't know why anybody thinks Activision of all companies would do an exclusive game for PS4.

Especially as the franchise was wildly popular across multi formats after they purchased it.
Like I said PR accounts/promotions have claimed a great number of things including the dev account saying it was exclusive on FB. Point being PR accounts are not the way to looking to find an answer.

C9E7pjvXYAAlw2H.jpg

From - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1359552

Btw I don't think it's exclusive because they would have said so on stage(Either that or their deal had not been finalised yet which is why we have not seen platform discussions from Acti outside PS4)

I mean, we recently had this from Kara Massie, (one of?) the game's producers:

Guwc.png

I realise I may be inadvertently feeding into the dumb and never-ending debate, but with this much ambiguity I'd be very surprised if it didn't come to other platforms after an exclusivity period.
Thanks for that. This adds more validity to situation because in an interview like that PR people would be there so yh best confirmation of things atm. Hopefully Sony/Acti will formally announce their deal soon.

Hxeuxfd_d.jpg]

C5IWq3PUcAAeCdF.jpg

They didn't purchase it. Vivendi acquired Universal Studios game studio which owned Crash and Spyro and then Vivendi sold their gaming division to Activision. However, Naughty Dog seems to have some kind of ownership of the original 3 games which is why Crash is in Uncharted 4 without any mention of Activision.

I love how everyone is saying Activision would never make an exclusive they also said the same thing about EA and then everyone was shitfaced when Titanfall was Xbox exclusive and that was a major new IP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom