• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Launch in UK bigger than Horizon

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
CTR should be a lock, I wouldn't be surprised if it was simply released as an 'expansion'.

I think it'd do really well as a $15/$20 digital title with a spruced-up MP mode (e.g. customisable cups, tournament options, leaderboards, and so on) and, in a perfect world, a sharing-enabled level editor.

thelastword

Banned
PS2 on PS4. Not remastered.

He's mistaken.

Jak 1-3 and Jak X Combat Racing will indeed be released on PS4 later this year, but they are in the form of PS2 classics, so straight emulated in their original look.
Ahh, bummer, true true..I just remembered. At least they will run better than the PS3 remaster, but a remake would be ideal though...done by Bluepoint, RAD or Hexadrive.....Sony has the resources...

Apparently if you don't like something it should fail or not exist, who cares if many others do in fact like thing lol.
I'm not even sure they don't like the games per se, it rather seems they don't like the platform. These are very good and popular games, wanting the games to fail as a gamer can only mean one thing...

Turrican3

Nintendo fans are very sensitive about any mention of Crash popularity, which makes them feel insecure about Mario being the one and only relevant platformer
Fanboys are usually very sensitive about everything they do not like.

It's definitely not a thing you'll only notice with Nintendo, see the consensus on the Wii in this very forum.

JP

PS2 on PS4. Not remastered.
It really depends on whether people use "remaster" in its original guise or whether they use it as marketing speak, which is a much newer thing. PS2 games on the PS4 are remastered even though they aren't remastered in the traditional sense of the older PlayStation remasters. I imagine that thelastword was referring to that type of branded remaster when asking the question.

For something to be classed as a remaster It simply needs to use some or all of the original content and "enhance" it in some way. Here they render what was originally on the PS2 but at the 896p mark, then upscale it to 1080p and add anti-aliasing with the frame rate being also being smoother in some games.

Although it's not a descriptor that I'd use for these things, even without the all the real-time graphical enhancements that are applied to the code and only having trophy support as an enhancement would still see the titles fitting under the remaster heading. I'm not sure anybody would really apply that to a game that only added trophy support though, even though it would be entirely accurate to do so. :)

Jhn

This is honestly hard to believe if you're friends are 25+ years old. I'm working for a video game company and more than half of the people in my department already have the game.
But yep, seems like you underestimated the impact of the Bandicoot. Especially in EU the franchise was extremely big.

The thing is that Crash might not be as revolutionary as Mario 64 but due to it's more linear approach and the focus on hardcore platforming it is just a lot of fun for many people. It's not just nostalgia - these are great games. Easy to learn, but hard to master.
30ish, same industry, EU. My sphere has somehow magically avoided it during almost my entire life, it's weird.

All these words but you're essentially regurgitating the "crash was never good or popular" meme. At this point one would think people would stop because it's been talked to death over and over in every single thread.
Sorry, I really don't mean to add to some existing anti-Crash circlejerk. I'm just trying to get people to educate me, someone who's somehow miraculously avoided the influence of the franchise, on why they enjoy it. And you did just that later in your post, so thanks.

LOL I don;t get what you don't understand? The world does not reflect your little bubble.....I mean what don't you get?
Oh honey....the world is a lot bigger than your bubble. If you can't understand that...oh well.
Solid condescension there. Really put me in my place.

Osahi

After hearing all the good feedback on these remakes I decided to order it (I was wary before, nostalgia can be a bitch that bites you in the ass after 20 years). But the darn thing is sold out almost everywhere. It's going for over 60 euro's at some places, over 20 more than the recommended retail price. Where it is sold out, delivery times are up to 21 days.

Luckily the big gamestore chain still seemed to have some stock in the closest shop to my place. Placed an online reservation, still waiting for confirmation for pick up (the stock can be stock set aside for other people)... Damn, didn't expect this at all.

30ish, same industry, EU. My sphere has somehow magically avoided it during almost my entire life, it's weird.

Sorry, I really don't mean to add to some existing anti-Crash circlejerk. I'm just trying to get people to educate me, someone who's somehow miraculously avoided the influence of the franchise, on why they enjoy it. And you did just that later in your post, so thanks.

Solid condescension there. Really put me in my place.

Well your post kind of deserved such responses, I mean what don't you get? People really like Crash.,..

And yeah, comparing them to arguably the greatest platformer of all time might be unfair, but I just think they don't hold up the same way.

SM64 isn't even the best 3D platformer within its own franchise: SMG is superior in pretty much every possible way. SM64 was influential, sure, a trailblazer, but has aged horribly.

Giga Man

tumblr_orwa35VMlZ1vk74jjo1_r1_540.gif

tumblr_orwa35VMlZ1vk74jjo4_r1_540.gif

Coco is such a great sister.

So I'm interested in how Sony and Activison handle this franchise now. With the obvious success and future Crash games going multi, I surmise maybe the original trilogy and CTR is tied more prominently to PS out of respect for its creators and if a new Crash or further remakes are released it will be launched across everything simultaneously.

The question is what happens to CTR? I think the success of Crash remake makes CTR a rather obvious decision. Same nostalgia at play, but it in a completely different genre and one that's sorely lacking on most consoles except Nintendo's. In fact I'd say CTR has an even higher ceiling in sales potential. Sony still has some onwnership of the franchise iirc, and that'll be interesting how the marketing and everything plays out.

RK128

Twinsanity with better controls and without the bugs would be the best Crash game. I'm not even joking. Twinsanity was so close to greatness. Just a few tweaks would do the game wonders.

Former developers even expressed interest in an 'expanded' remaster for Twinsanity. If that wasn't on the cards before, it has a very good shot of happening now. Pair that with CTR like you mentioned, and we have another N. Sane Trilogy-level hit :).

Unknown?

It really depends on whether people use "remaster" in its original guise or whether they use it as marketing speak, which is a much newer thing. PS2 games on the PS4 are remastered even though they aren't remastered in the traditional sense of the older PlayStation remasters. I imagine that thelastword was referring to that type of branded remaster when asking the question.

For something to be classed as a remaster It simply needs to use some or all of the original content and "enhance" it in some way. Here they render what was originally on the PS2 but at the 896p mark, then upscale it to 1080p and add anti-aliasing with the frame rate being also being smoother in some games.

Although it's not a descriptor that I'd use for these things, even without the all the real-time graphical enhancements that are applied to the code and only having trophy support as an enhancement would still see the titles fitting under the remaster heading. I'm not sure anybody would really apply that to a game that only added trophy support though, even though it would be entirely accurate to do so. :)

Yeah PS2 on PS4 really cleans up the game. It doesn't look like the original at all. You can tell this in games where the cutscenes are rendered from PS2 and the gameplay is on the emulator. An example is Dark Cloud 2, the opening scene is so jaggy and blurry but the gameplay is really clean.

Jigorath

Banned
Let's throw a little more fuel on this fire.

A Crash Bandiccot Remaster sold more units in it's launch week than

Horizon Zero Dawn
Injustice 2 PS4 + Xbox combined
Mario Kart 8DX
Arms
Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Resident Evil 7
Mass Effect Andromeda
Etc.

Madness. Absolute madness

That is nuts.

If the Spyro and CTR remakes weren't greenlit before, they certainly are now.

JP

Yeah PS2 on PS4 really cleans up the game. It doesn't look like the original at all. You can tell this in games where the cutscenes are rendered from PS2 and the gameplay is on the emulator. An example is Dark Cloud 2, the opening scene is so jaggy and blurry but the gameplay is really clean.
Definitely, you don't the same quality as you get from a full remaster although I've been very happy with the other PS2 titles I own on PS4.

Pre-rendered content is always going to be a more difficult job for them as they often won't have HD quality assets to rerender them and if they did it starts costing a lot of money then. Even things like PaRappa the Rapper, Loco Roco and I assume Patapon too really showed their age during the pre-rendered cutscenes and logos but were pretty amazing in the real time sections.

I could well be wrong here but going from memory I think the Jak & Daxter games used real-time cutscenes which will improve the overall quality of the games. I think they did anyway, I'm sure people will correct me if I'm wrong there. :)

I will have the first game for free with Uncharted: The Lost Legacy and will be buying the other two at launch and maybe even Jak X as I wasn't exactly a fan but I may give it another go once I've started playing the original games again.

Shin

Banned
Let's throw a little more fuel on this fire.

A Crash Bandiccot Remaster sold more units in it's launch week than

Horizon Zero Dawn
Injustice 2 PS4 + Xbox combined
Mario Kart 8DX
Arms
Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Resident Evil 7
Mass Effect Andromeda
Etc.

Madness. Absolute madness

He freakin' laid the smack down that's what..
Seriously though Crash as a character is cool as heck more than Mario/Sonic to me.
See those two gifs someone posted, he's just plain wack it puts a smile on my face.

Top Bottom