• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CrazyLeaksOnATrain: Gamepass on Steam will be EA and MS first party games.

Nautilus

Banned
Eh, doesn't make much sense. This will make Gamepass weaker as a whole, MS will make even less money on something that isn't even profitable yet(Because I have to imagine that Steam will take a cut), and I would imagine that MS would want full control over it, which putting it on Steam wouldn't give.

Last edited:
Microsoft branded joy-cons?

200w.gif

b6a6es

Banned

I would take this with a grain of salt until some of his predicaments checks out.

Wouldn't this defeat the purpose of having EA Access on Steam, and won't Gamepass be pretty weak?

Lol, it’s not musou (omega force) but closer to nioh (it’s Team Ninja)

had he said Koei Tecmo instead of a generic (Mosou) he would’ve had more credibility

DavidGzz

Game Pass on Switch, Steam, and mobile phones. They really are going after just having a nutty subscriber number. Rumors still but pretty crazy if true.

Chukhopops

So the Souls-like FF is actually a Musou? I would actually be more interested if it was the case, recent Musou have been awesome.

GamePass on Steam would basically be normal GP since most GP PC games are on Steam anyway. MS would lose a percentage but gain access to a huge storefront. Don’t know if it will happen but it makes sense.

Kenpachii

If it comes to steam its massive.

Gamepass will pretty much be the n1 subscription service for games then.

How would gamepass work on steam? How would they deal with the revenue sharing?

Could very well mean steam eats 30% of every subscription.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

If it comes to steam its massive.

Gamepass will pretty much be the n1 subscription service for games then.

Could very well mean steam eats 30% of every subscription.
Surely that would make it even less sustainable wouldn't it? Unless they are expecting just incredible growth numbers of course. No idea how their content agreements scale obviously.

Eh, doesn't make much sense. This will make Gamepass weaker as a whole, MS will make even less money on something that isn't even profitable yet(Because I have to imagine that Steam will take a cut), and I would imagine that MS would want full control over it, which putting it on Steam wouldn't give.
Surely that would make it even less sustainable wouldn't it? Unless they are expecting just incredible growth numbers of course. No idea how their content agreements scale obviously.
People acting like they know Gamepass isn't profitable smh.

Chukhopops

I don’t see how, the costs to run the service remain the same and I don’t see why existing subs would go to the Steam version. So it’s only incremental users at the cost of a lower ARPU for those users.

I don’t know how many GP users are primarily on PC but I don’t think they have tapped out the PC market yet.

Nevaeh

looking at how abxy switch buttons look a bit different than the xbox abxy buttons I can see that its true

igztu8nm51o41.jpg

so yeah I think the new joycons to not confuse people that play on both switch and xbox.

Nautilus

Banned
People acting like they know Gamepass isn't profitable smh.
It isn't yet, as far as we know. MS keeps saying that they are happy with Gamepass performance(and they should be), not that they are making money out of it. And I might be wrong, but every analist so far has said that it isn't profitable yet.

But I imagine that's within MS prediction.Much like the Epic Store, this is an investment that will take years to bear fruit.It took countless years for Netflix to be profitable, for example.

chonga

Imagine being phil trying to pitch an Xbox themed Joycons with replacing ABXY buttons & LT-RT intead of Z buttons ?

yeah it’s BS, should’ve said Minecraft themed Joycons instead crazy train
Yeah. Branded with an MS-owned IP, that's plausible. Branded as Microsoft? No.

reinking

Gold Member
Quick question about Game Pass on the Switch. I could be very wrong about this and that is why I am asking. Is it Microsoft fans or Nintendo fans that are excited about this? Seems to be more team green than team Nintendo.

I believe if this is going to happen, MS needs to make sure that streaming to Switch is functioning at top levels before launching. It could be a big turn off out of the gate if it lag and latency are an issue.

I'm still not sold on Game Pass on Steam ether. I would welcome it since I am shifting more toward PC gaming these days and I would prefer Steam over the MS store. Will MS give up the install as an app kind of thing or will Steam just have an overlay and it pretty much still be going through the MS Store?

NickFire

Are there any behind the scenes standards for threads about possible leaks? I'm genuinely just curious if there's behind the scenes reasons to trust some over others, or if its just open season whenever a random person predicts something.

It isn't yet, as far as we know. MS keeps saying that they are happy with Gamepass performance(and they should be), not that they are making money out of it. And I might be wrong, but every analist so far has said that it isn't profitable yet.

But I imagine that's within MS prediction.Much like the Epic Store, this is an investment that will take years to bear fruit.It took countless years for Netflix to be profitable, for example.
We know that Xbox was profitable in 2019, when Gamepass was much smaller. They should be in a good place right now.

Sentenza

It would be 20% after $50 million of revenue. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they agreed on something even lower than 20%.
Yep.
"Bring it on. We'll take just the 10-15%.
In exchange, you get our buttload of users that would rather give up a testicle than using your client."

I can see it happen.

Last edited:
Microsoft branded Joycons need to have the button remapping.
Nintendo has already burned it's bridge to me with the Split Pad Pro not having button remapping.
Maybe Microsoft influence on Nintendo will be an upshot.

Nautilus

Banned
We know that Xbox was profitable in 2019, when Gamepass was much smaller. They should be in a good place right now.
Xbox includes more than simply gamepass. So while a good sign, it's not definitive proof.

And while the sub numbers have increased, so must have the costs. That EA Play deal must not have been cheap for example.And like someone brought up, the epic court case revealed that Gamepass isn't profitable yet, if we are to believe it.

I'm not worried about Gamepass, and by the end of gen 9, it will probably be a big source of income for MS, but I don't see, as of now, being that big income source that MS is betting on.These things take time.

Kilau

Gold Member
I can’t see nintendo letting game pass on their system unless it’s an xCloud version and if so :sick:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I can’t see nintendo letting game pass on their system unless it’s an xCloud version and if so :sick:
xCloud streaming is the only thing that makes any sense. I suppose there are a handful of games on the Switch (Ori, Super Lucky's Tale, Streets of Rage 4) that are also on Game Pass... but, their userbase is already pretty divided between Console, PC, and xCloud. It'd be really weird for them to divide it even further to specifically include Switch games.

Skifi28

Gold Member
So the same guy we had an entire thread about and he was going to release some juicy info in it but he never replied again. Why do people do this to themselves? Gaf is 90% dude trust me rumours these days.

This is the same guy that said EA's bigger titles will hit Gamepass Day One. So if its EA/XGS/Bethesda games Day One. That is a shit ton of popular IP: Gears, Halo, Forza, Minecraft, Madden, UFC, FIFA, Star Wars, Battlefield, Sims, Elder Scrolls, Doom, Fallout and many more. Gamepass would be a smash hit on Steam even if its just MS first party and EA. because you are still getting like 30-40 brand new games every year.

DaGwaphics

Microsoft JoyCons would mean GamePass on Switch.

Which means even MORE concern over GamePass...

Microsoft branded JoyCons would point me more in the direction of Nintendo games on Xbox, but we'll see if they materialize first. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The Switch already has JoyCons to use with GP. On the other hand, MS would need giro/JoyCon support for Nintendo games on their platform. Unless it's just a thing about button placement, but that would be weird because Switch users already know which button is A, B, X, Y on their controller, so the positions being different from an Xbox controller wouldn't bother them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom