• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crimson Alliance |OT| MS's XBLA Price Experiment (Set Back with Microtransations?)

eek5

Well, they're all in caps but RIDONKULOUS! does have an exclamation point at the end of it lol. It's pretty easy when you have the mage char and assassin but pretty hard solo (at least with the equipment I have)

Got my code yesterday and played it last night. Havnt played it enough to make a proper assessment. But what I played I liked.

Will hopefully satisfy my dungeon crawling / looting itch until Torchlight II and Diablo III.

Been playing this for about 10 hours now and REALLY like it. The speed of the game is a lot slower than a "normal" loot game and it just gives everything a really nice atmosphere. It really feels like I am exploring a deep dungeon instead of just hacking zillions of nameless creeps to death and picking up loot.

Must buy IMHO for dungeon hack lovers.

And I am expert.. I play ALL dungeon hack games (even the bad ones) because of my professional interests ;)

Jaxter09 said:
Pretty sure I just got this game for free for some reason.

No actually you probably didn't unless you scored a code via giveaway or got a code for buying all the Summer of Arcade XBLA games.

With that said, this is a fun little game. Played through several levels and its getting addicting. The MS Points/microtransaction complaints are really blown out of proportion. What CA has done has made available some of the better upgrades at the start of the game for those trying to get high leaderboard scores. Its essentially a "time = money" transaction. I will play through the game once then go back to improve my level scores.

Miggytronz

Going to buy this tonight.
3AQmK.gif

eek5

You unlock some pretty sweet equipment doing the
Present
achievement. Certain affinity hinted that
finishing all the challenge maps and finding all the hidden areas
could unlock equipment too. There is no way to track the latter though and I always miss a couple on each run :/

eek5 said:
You unlock some pretty sweet equipment doing the
Present
achievement. Certain affinity hinted that
finishing all the challenge maps and finding all the hidden areas
could unlock equipment too. There is no way to track the latter though and I always miss a couple on each run :/
I'm pretty sure they're just referring to how you get a piece of gear for each individual
challenge room
and not for completing every one gives you one last piece of special gear. Same thing for the
hidden rooms
as each class specific one has a treasure chest in it with gear. You can easily track that by checking the level stats for treasure chests.

eek5

Wibblewozzer said:
I'm pretty sure they're just referring to how you get a piece of gear for each individual
challenge room
and not for completing every one gives you one last piece of special gear. Same thing for the
hidden rooms
as each class specific one has a treasure chest in it with gear. You can easily track that by checking the level stats for treasure chests.
Whoops you're right. I was reading into that too much lol. Finished all the challenge rooms and nothing :/

eek5

I've gotten most of the unlockable equipment for all three characters now.

Mercenary > Assassin > Wizard as far as how good the equipment in "secret" chests goes. For soloing, Wizard is probably the easiest although I prefer Assassin. Mercenary is definitely the hardest for soloing.

The mercenary unlocks allow you to max out any of his three skills (almost) or get a really good jack of all trades set-up. Assassin I think allows you to max a couple as well (although I played through the campaign first with Assassin so I was able to afford a lot of the stuff at merchants). Wizard allows you to max out freeze but not the offensive stuff so it's probably the best character for coop play if you just want one character and are planning to do some coop.

Wait I'm confused. I just downloaded this game for free and I did it on the same night that I re-subscribed to Gold in nearly 6 months. Is it not normally free?

Galdelico

Small Mailman said:
Wait I'm confused. I just downloaded this game for free and I did it on the same night that I re-subscribed to Gold in nearly 6 months. Is it not normally free?
The game is not really free.

You download it for free, but you can only play a timed trial with the 3 characters available. You can buy the complete character-pack for 1200MP, or just one single class for 800.

Yeah, it's a bit... Unusual. :3

Yeah I saw those characters for sale, total iOS type of idea.

The level was timed? I guess I quit before I got a chance to figure that out. Kind of a boring game.

Small Mailman said:
Yeah I saw those characters for sale, total iOS type of idea.

The level was timed? I guess I quit before I got a chance to figure that out. Kind of a boring game.
From what others have said I believe you get the first three levels to play through at your leisure but if you go online with the trial you're limited to 15 minutes of a level at a time. So you wouldn't notice the time limit if you were solo.

Getting gold medals on the boss fight levels is frustrating. I finally did it but I hate the game for what it put me through. On the last boss I had one attempt that was two points below the gold score. Fuck that.

Also managed that silly present achievement. Annoying to get but I guess I have to say I appreciate the outcome of doing it. Now just six more levels to gold and collect the last few soul anchors in the process and I'll move on to something else.

eek5

Wibblewozzer said:
From what others have said I believe you get the first three levels to play through at your leisure but if you go online with the trial you're limited to 15 minutes of a level at a time. So you wouldn't notice the time limit if you were solo.

Getting gold medals on the boss fight levels is frustrating. I finally did it but I hate the game for what it put me through. On the last boss I had one attempt that was two points below the gold score. Fuck that.

Also managed that silly present achievement. Annoying to get but I guess I have to say I appreciate the outcome of doing it. Now just six more levels to gold and collect the last few soul anchors in the process and I'll move on to something else.
Good luck getting gold on Storm of Blood. It is borderline impossible, requiring you to rack up a huge multiplier on some of the hardest mobs in the game. It's possible if you're in the 99 percentile but if you're not a top 1% of leaderboards type of guy you're basically not going to be able to do it.

http://www.certainaffinity.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=115

Pretty fucking ridiculous lol.

edit: finally beat it solo on ridonkulus difficulty. got silver. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YSs0GGm2X0

fuck this game lmao

I Push Fat Kids said:
Free download is not really anything then?

It's a free trial with online multiplayer enabled (with a time limit). Don't think you can get far enough to unlock any achievements.

Gaspode_T

I think my free code is never coming after all...maybe will add 4000 pts and get this and Radiant Silvergun and SkyDrift if it's as Wipeout-ish as I'm hearing it is

If I end up getting a code later I will give it away here

eek5 said:
Good luck getting gold on Storm of Blood.
I got gold and finished up all the achievements. And yeah, fuck that level. As of now I'm one of two people to solo it as the assassin. There's very few people that solo'd that level in general. Not sure if you're wanting tips or anything but the best I can say is that I did it on Immortal, not RIDONKULOUS!, and after many attempts and memorizing it I found some great ways to use explosives to quickly boost my multiplier. I had that level so down to memory that I nearly could do it without getting hit once. Oh, and I pop my ultimate power right on the third round and quickly get rid of the two magic dudes and one of the gas throwing fellows. On occasion I could get the other gas guy but usually I'd just back away to a corner and then plow through everything and then clean up the last gas guy. If you really want I can give you a round-by-round breakdown of everything I did.

Have to say I'm pretty pleased with everything and am now glad to move on.

Oh, and feasibly the first three levels should allow you opportunities for possibly three achievements but being that it's a trial it doesn't unlock any from what I've seen others say.

eek5

Wibblewozzer said:
I got gold and finished up all the achievements. And yeah, fuck that level. As of now I'm one of two people to solo it as the assassin. There's very few people that solo'd that level in general. Not sure if you're wanting tips or anything but the best I can say is that I did it on Immortal, not RIDONKULOUS!, and after many attempts and memorizing it I found some great ways to use explosives to quickly boost my multiplier. I had that level so down to memory that I nearly could do it without getting hit once. Oh, and I pop my ultimate power right on the third round and quickly get rid of the two magic dudes and one of the gas throwing fellows. On occasion I could get the other gas guy but usually I'd just back away to a corner and then plow through everything and then clean up the last gas guy. If you really want I can give you a round-by-round breakdown of everything I did.

Have to say I'm pretty pleased with everything and am now glad to move on.

Oh, and feasibly the first three levels should allow you opportunities for possibly three achievements but being that it's a trial it doesn't unlock any from what I've seen others say.
Not going to do it. I know I can do it if I try but I think it's fucking stupid that you have to basically chain 50+ kills on the last challenge level, on one of the hardest difficulties to barely get gold.

Top Bottom