• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crimson Skies (PC) |OT| 1937; Somewhere over America...

novenD

afpWwQy.png

Developer: Zipper Interactive
Publisher: Microsoft
Platform: PC
Genre: Flight-Action
Release Date: September 17th, 20

fJkXGpp.gif

EL8Nfbv.png

The United States is no more. Ravaged by political strife and economic uncertainty, the once great nation has collapsed.
In its place, a multitude of new nation-states have formed, creating a patchwork of borders, tariffs, laws, and rivalries.
With traditional rail and road transportation rendered useless by the gridlock and division, a new vehicle comes to dominate the Americas: The Zeppelin.
Fast and reliable, these ships of the sky safely carry passengers and cargo to every corner of the continent and beyond.
But where there are ships, there are pirates...
oSPvHcB.png

Whenever I create different universes—MechWarrior, Shadowrun, Crimson Skies—to me, it's all about looking at 'What are the fantasies that excited us when we were 5?'
And if we can find a new and more sophisticated way to tap into that fantasy […] Crimson Skies is just combining two classic male fantasies: You get to be a pirate; you get to be a pilot.
Jordan Weisman, creator and creative director

Crimson Skies is a Flight-Action game set in an alternate history version of the 1930s. As air pirate Nathan Zachary, you'll dogfight across America in search of treasure, romance, and adventure.
Imagine every good action serial, every good pulp novel, and every good two-fisted comic book combined into one giant mess of barnstorming, explosions, and 100% unleaded swag.
If you aren't already sold on it, I'll take a moment to remind you that THIS IS A GAME WHERE YOU ARE A SKY PIRATE.

Still not convinced? Here's the original feature list from the back of the box, with my corrections in bold.

Immerse yourself in a fully interactive storyline in a gaming universe that captures the sweep and romance of 1930's America!
Interact with dozens of denizens in the Crimson Skies world as the handsome and daring Nathan Zachary, notorious buccaneer and renowned ladies' man.
All of this is true.
Become the ace of the skies with Crimson Skies' intuitive flying system!
Easy to learn yet hard to master, Crimson Skies captures the true spirit of combat flying with an intuitive flying system, which will let you command the air with ease.
The focus is on the art of dog fighting not the science of flying!
Also true.
Swoop and soar in eleven [types of] exotic and specially fitted[customizable] fighting planes!
Fly everything from the nitrogen charged Whitley and Douglas Raven fighter-bomber to the buzzing and whirring air gyro to the latest Hughes Aircraft prototypes.
You can customize the engines, weapons, and armor on aircraft you purchase with your booty. Also, none of these planes have their correct names.

Air chatter with friends and foes, cut-scenes, in-game animation sequences and a variety of dynamic mission objectives will help dedicated air pirates live and breath in the Crimson Skies world while engaging an array of fearless adventurers, sinister plotters, bloodthirsty sky-pirates and militia heroes.
The presentation is phenomenal; The script, voice work, and direction fly circles around most games from this gen, let alone the early 2000s.

Dodge flak as you go Zeppelin to Zeppelin in on-line multiplayer combat!
Crimson Skies comes fully multiplayer ready via the dead MSN Gaming Zone whether you want to go one on one with a friend or fly squadron on squadron with a group of your air pirate cronies.
RIP MSN Zone. The game does sport full LAN support, and there are workarounds to play online available.

Snatch the super secret prototype to add to your aerial arsenal!
As the daring commander of an air pirate wing, you need to constantly be on the lookout for new fighter designs to steal and reverse-engineer.
Listen closely to the air chatter and don't forget to ask about any rumors floating around the pilot community regarding the latest advances from Crimson Skies' many industrial titans.
All of this is complete bullshit and never happens. Early 2000s ad copy, everyone!

mdeVCDI.png

ihsIpK4.png

NOTED FORUM USER NovenD: You've never played it, you've never even heard of it, and that's awful.
Crimson Skies isn't just one of the best action games ever made, it isn't just one of the best PC games ever made, it's one of the best games ever made, period.
Fans of quality narraitves, flight games of every sort, and things that are simply good owe it to themselves to pick it up.

ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN REVIEWER Brendan Caldwell: Reflective of the entire arcade dog-fighter genre, which has sadly failed to transcend the stratosphere[...] That’s Crimson Skies. The bombastic American Dream. Preposterous, amazing, adventurous.

VBiV6uz.png

44TH PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES Barack Obama: Crimson Skies is the best game I haven't played since The Witcher 2.

MEDIOCRE REVIEW SITE IGN.com: [...]highly inventive, tons of fun and ridiculously addictive.

riVrJ0k.png

PURPLE HORSE PRINCESS Twilight Sparkle: It's almost as much fun as reading a book on Yak Politics, and I love those!

SURPRISINGLY RESERVED REVIEW SITE Eurogamer.net: Crimson Skies is an exceptionally fun game to play - the fight model is spot-on (entertainment wise), and the missions and storyline are both sufficiently interesting to keep the player involved in the action.

2a21zPq.png

STAR OF STAGE AND SCREEN Errol Flynn: This game is utter trash.

CIELhsR.png

Q: Do I need a joystick to play this?
A: No! While play with a joystick is ideal, Crimson Skies is entirely playable(and still very fun) on a keyboard.
If you'd like to buy a joystick and don't know where to start, start by looking into some of the suggested sticks from the Elite (Dangerous) [OT].

Q: Can I play this with a gamepad?
A: Yes! Crimson Skies should read any XInput controller as a joystick.
Unfortunately, the way that Crimson Skies reads joystick inputs will force you to use the analog triggers for throttle control.

Q: Will this run on my PC?
A: Yes! To run the game on modern PCs, download Timeslip's csfix: The included readme will walk you through the fix's installation.

Q: I liked the Xbox game. Will I like this?
A: Probably! That being said, don't expect the stunts on demand button, infinite ammo, or Sky Captain mech zeppelin nonsense.

Q: I'm sold. Where can I buy this?
A: Copies can be found cheaply online on sites like Amazon and... pretty much nowhere else.

Q: What? I came all this way and I can't buy it digitally!?!
A: Sorry. Blame Microsoft, not me! You can always add your vote to GOG.com's wishlist page for the game or send a tweet to the offical Microsoft Studios Twitter.

Q: I'm crushed inside and will never feel whole without this game.
A: That is not a question. But hey, I've got just the thing for you!

a7d4I2Z.png

Need to drown your sorrows?* Try the official Crimson Skies mixed drink!

The "Nathan Zachary"

Ingredients: 1.5 Ounces of Gin
0.5 Ounces of Dry Vermouth
Lemon Peel
Directions:
Mix gin and vermouth in a shaker with some cracked ice.
Strain into a large chilled cocktail glass.
Twist lemon peel over glass, rub peel over the rim of the glass, and drop it into the drink.

Serves one.
*Please drink responsibly.

Hah I got so confused and exciting thinking I somehow missed Crimson skies coming back. I played Crimson skies when it launched on PC. I remember making it up to one mission that was a huge pain and then stopping. I think it had to do with flying through buildings in a city or something.

Really enjoyed both entries of the series. Would love to see it come back.

vort3x

Oh man I got excited this was the OG xbox title coming back. I would love Crimson Skies as a arcade title, I killed the multiplayer in that game. Loved it!! Snoopy on the 360 was a very good clone of it.

I did in fact come all this way only to find you can't buy it digitally. I thought that's why there was an OT all these years later. Now I am sad.

(incoming No One Lives Forever and Oni OTs yo)

Rad-

I have never really liked flying games except for this. Really enjoyed the PC version back in the day.

novenD

I did in fact come all this way only to find you can't buy it digitally. I thought that's why there was an OT all these years later. Now I am sad.

(incoming No One Lives Forever and Oni OTs yo)

In my defense only you, me, and TheDarkKnight774 actually remembered it existed so I decided to use the release anniversary to make people sad so they'd lobby for a digital version.

:(

EDIT: and Rad- as well! Eyyyyyy

colinp

Banned
For those who don't know the PC and XBox were completely different games.

Would love to see a return of the franchise someday.

Hmm I wonder where my game copy is at. I've been able to migrate most of games I own to digital which great. But this is one that's still on the no digital list which is a shame

Also on my wish list
No one lives forever 1 & 2
Mechwarrior 2
Full throttle (feel this is coming soon)
Monkey Island 3

In my defense only you, me, and TheDarkKnight774 actually remembered it existed so I decided to use the release anniversary to make people sad so they'd lobby for a digital version.

:(

EDIT: and Rad- as well! Eyyyyyy

I'm still a little surprised (though I shouldn't be) that people think of Crimson Skies as an Xbox game first. PC version was the only way to go!

This game is legit as fuck. If you love Crimson Skies (as you should), Blazing Angels 2 is as close to a spiritual successor as I've seen, and it was alright. Less swashbuckly, but alternate history WWII with crazy scifi airplanes.

For those who don't know the PC and XBox were completely different games.

Would love to see a return of the franchise someday.

Wow, I had assumed it was exactly the same. Interesting!

Yes, MS needs to bring this franchise back for sure. Could see this as a nice $15- $20 download title. Hell, I'll take an HD remaster of Xbox original.

novenD

I'm still a little surprised (though I shouldn't be) that people think of Crimson Skies as an Xbox game first. PC version was the only way to go!

This game is legit as fuck. If you love Crimson Skies (as you should), Blazing Angels 2 is as close to a spiritual successor as I've seen, and it was alright. Less swashbuckly, but alternate history WWII with crazy scifi airplanes.

Therearedozensofus.gif

Wow, I had assumed it was exactly the same. Interesting!

Yes, MS needs to bring this franchise back for sure. Could see this as a nice $15- $20 download title. Hell, I'll take an HD remaster of Xbox original.

Don't blame you for that; The Xbox game is a sequel that came out 3 years after the PC original, but it sold 100 times as many copies so....

yeah.

jelly

Loved the Crimson Skies games. I've said before, Microsoft should bring this back and even add some 3rd person on foot action adventure to the sandbox. It's such a cool era with a sense of fun and adventure. Indiana Jones with Pirates and Planes. Come on!

Aw man I was hoping there would be a digital version of this game announced/released when I saw this thread. Played this all the time back around release on a computer that had no business running it. Still my favorite flight game to this day. Just a whole lot of fun while retaining some sim elements to make it interesting.

jacobeid

Banned
I still think it's funny how few people see how much of Nathan Drake was inspired by/lifted from Zachary Nathan in High Road to Revenge on Xbox.

I would kill for another one of these games.

It's a shame they never did anything more with this franchise. As I recall the Xbox version was fairly successful, I think it was one of the bigger online multiplayer games in the early days of Xbox Live, pre-Halo 2.

I'd like to hear the story of what happened with FASA Interactive. MechAssault was pretty popular too wasn't it?

Glowsquid

It's a shame they never did anything more with this franchise. As I recall the Xbox version was fairly successful, I think it was one of the bigger online multiplayer games in the early days of Xbox Live, pre-Halo 2.

I'd like to hear the story of what happened with FASA Interactive. MechAssault was pretty popular too wasn't it?

I remember watching a video walkthrough of Dark Void by one of its developers, and early in the video, the guy mentioned a third Crimson Skies was in development but Microsoft cancelled it and the developers went to do what would become Dark Void instead. He didn't specify why or any details about the cancelled CS, though

(I can't find the video in question though, arrgh. I think it was a youtube channel whose "gimmick" is that its develoeprs playing their own game, but my google-fu is failing me).

This game is amazing. I remember playing it all the time together with a friend back when we were like 7 or 8 years old. Its probably one of the games that got me really into gaming as a hobby. Everything about its universe is so fucking cool and fits so perfect for a video game im still baffled there arent more games of this franchise.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
People always talk about the wildly inferior Xbox version, but the OG was such a fantastic game.

The plane customization basically made this Mechwarrior in the skies (which given it's FASA origins isn't surprising). Great great game, a shame that it's not legally available anywhere these days.

LightInfa

This is just making me sad about the dearth of good arcade flight combat games- the attempts on steam to recapture that Crimson Skies magic don't even come close (I'm looking at you BOMB).

C-Drive

Do I need to post pics of my collection Crimson Skies memorabilia to be part of this club?

Because I love this fucking universe (and game) so much.

novenD

Do I need to post pics of my collection Crimson Skies memorabilia to be part of this club?

Because I love this fucking universe (and game) so much.

Please do!

I've got some of the Whiz Kids miniatures sitting next to me right now, in fact.

UCBooties

What a fantastic OT! I did love the XBox version but never tried the PC game. Maybe I will have to track down a copy.

I did have the tie in short story collection, those were a fun look at the setting.

"People always talk about the wildly inferior Xbox version, but the OG was such a fantastic game."

Yes. Factually. The Xbox version wasn't awful, but the OG is simply more interesting in every way except production values. Weisman and co. need to make a sequel to the original.

Top Bottom