• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Critical Role: Voice Actors Playing D&D

Pretty sure they aired at least part of that CelebriDnD on the Mothership show that comes on before Critical Role. It was on the Twitch channel title.

Would Matt let the party go beyond lvl 20?

I'm pretty sure he's made an official comment about the end of the current game/characters.

Either way, it makes more sense to wrap up this parties storyline and start a new one. Playing a 3-4 hour game every week for years and years gets old for regular players. These are both players AND actors. Actors are notorious for generally not wanting to play the same characters endlessly.

And there's no official rules/spells/etc... past level 20 that I'm aware of. So that would mean even more Homebrew prep for Matt.

Brashnir

I tune in for the first episode I've seen live and am immediately greeted by someone not reading their spells. Guess I'm in the right place.

Probably
that kid she accidentally murdered pre-stream.

For her to be the one character in the group (sans Pike) that is actually super good good, she has quite the
innocents bodycount

About this whole Hotis thing,
Why didn't they spend their prep time to seek out a gate scroll. Travel to Hell, find a good secluded spot, summon him, and kill him. They would be done by in time for dinner.
But who needs plans though, right?? I feel like they are going to purposefully
get themselves put in prison
which seems like a dumb fucking idea. I'm certainly looking forward to how this plays out.

edit: Percy... is a dumbass, with all due respect to the actor. What person
knowingly ingests a soul for a pick-me-up?
Are we about to get
corruption points again???

Brashnir

For her to be the one character in the group (sans Pike) that is actually super good good, she has quite the
innocents bodycount

Why didn't they spend their prep time to seek out a gate scroll. Travel to Hell, find a good secluded spot, summon him, and kill him. They would be done by in time for dinner.
But who needs plans though, right?? I feel like they are going to purposefully
get themselves put in prison
which seems like a dumb fucking idea. I'm certainly looking forward to how this plays out.

Only a bad DM would offer them such an easy out. Given the state of the world, I'd make the task of finding such a scroll at least as difficult as the route they're taking.

Maximo

innocents bodycount

But who needs plans though, right?? I feel like they are going to purposefully get themselves put in prison
which seems like a dumb fucking idea
. I'm certainly looking forward to how this plays out.

Gate scrolls are reeeeeeally rare and I believe only wizards can cast gate at the highest level, doubt anyone like that exists in the world.

I love how matt tied in that ending punishment for two fuck ups:Vax for being ostentatious
a white tiefling? those are rare as fuck and would turn an eye anywhere.
And Kiki for not being very team oriented.

If they work for
the pit fiend
, this shit just got real!

.JayZii

Banned
I enjoyed Matt getting to describe a completely new setting to the party, but last episode did feel like the players just trying to buy time until Sam (and Ashley) were back on. I especially liked the description of the tower.

I did not enjoy Marisha not listening, not following what was going on and not being a great team player. I've come to accept that her play style is her being kind of oblivious to what's going on with Matt and/or the rest of the party at any given time because she's looking at her character sheets or taking notes, but some episodes it comes across more rude and disrespectful than others. Thankfully Matt tied it together at the end by making her bad plan be worthwhile while also referencing/chastising Vax's ostentatious alter self from earlier.

I don't even know what Taliesin is going for with Percy half the time. Are you evil or not? You just ate some fucking tortured souls for a buzz. It's all very fun to be goth and macabre in the abstract, but how does that not knock you down closer to an evil alignment at least?

I think they're going to have to make a deal with someone so maybe the guy in the bar wouldn't be such a bad idea. They can't fight their way through literal hell and get on the shit lists of at least hundreds of devils (probably including an archdevil since it's on his turf) then just Plane Shift out and call it a day. They thought one Rakshasa was bad, but some seem ready to play pretty fast and loose with all these other fiends.

Famassu

Oh shiiiit I'm watching The Kill Box. This seems so desperate after all these other enemy characters enter the fray after the surprise round ended. How in the fucking fuck are they going to survive or solve this other than running away. D:

Just started watching this series after really loving Easy Allies DND game, Tabletop Escapades.

I look at the youtube playlist and see 88 videos at 2+ hours each... dear god O_O

Just started watching this series after really loving Easy Allies DND game, Tabletop Escapades.

I look at the youtube playlist and see 88 videos at 2+ hours each... dear god O_O

You have no idea. Some eps go as long as 4+ hours. It's meaty. But it's so good at times. Great character moments, awesome battles. Just so good.

Keep with it. I started like a few weeks, maybe more than a month, ago and it's amazing stuff. I'm on like episode 25 or something. It's hilarious and kind of nerve wracking at times.

Maximo

Yep many of my friends have been put off due to how much they have to catch up but trust me take your time...its worth it.

.JayZii

Banned
Awesome guest character this week. I wish we'd gotten more of her, but I'm excited for next week's fight.

I probably would have put something about their legendary equipment not being stolen into that contract, but i guess we're just taking his word on that one. Also, the only thing keeping that devil from from going back on his word in that contract is 15,000 gold. So he could easily betray them and dump a bunch of gold on their corpses.

Awesome guest character this week. I wish we'd gotten more of her, but I'm excited for next week's fight.

I probably would have put something about their legendary equipment not being stolen into that contract, but i guess we're just taking his word on that one. Also, the only thing keeping that devil from from going back on his word in that contract is 15,000 gold. So he could easily betray them and dump a bunch of gold on their corpses.

Yep, I think Matt did that on purpose. He would have had their gear stripped from them and make them jump through HUGE hoops to get them back if they didn't mention it. And 15k gold vs
Percy's
soul? Way to sell yourself short lmao. 15k is barely anything to Vox Machina already. To a demon? Pennies.

I would have tried to tweak the 2nd pact but definitely the 3rd pact. For the 2nd, maybe an exclusion of specific places? And for the 3rd... A minimum rank or status upon death. No way would I want to come in as a fucking Lemure.

They think they won't ever be tempted to enact 2nd and 3rd pacts... Just wait if in the future
Vex fails a death saving roll and Keyleth for whatever reason can't do True Rez
It'll be the first thing that happens.

All in all, much better episode this week, and I like the guest. But I keep harkening back to my thoughts a couple weeks ago. Is Hotis really worth all this? A pact with a demon, killing an enemy that is 10x more powerful, and possibly pissing off creatures even more powerful. To kill a meme-tier Rakshasha?

It really feels like they are getting rid of a thorn in their foot by chopping the whole thing off.

.JayZii

Banned
Yep, I think Matt did that on purpose. He would have had their gear stripped from them and make them jump through HUGE hoops to get them back if they didn't mention it. And 15k gold vs
Percy's
soul? Way to sell yourself short lmao. 15k is barely anything to Vox Machina already. To a demon? Pennies.

I would have tried to tweak the 2nd pact but definitely the 3rd pact. For the 2nd, maybe an exclusion of specific places? And for the 3rd... A minimum rank or status upon death. No way would I want to come in as a fucking Lemure.

They think they won't ever be tempted to enact 2nd and 3rd pacts... Just wait if in the future
Vex fails a death saving roll and Keyleth for whatever reason can't do True Rez
It'll be the first thing that happens.

All in all, much better episode this week, and I like the guest. But I keep harkening back to my thoughts a couple weeks ago. Is Hotis really worth all this? A pact with a demon, killing an enemy that is 10x more powerful, and possibly pissing off creatures even more powerful. To kill a meme-tier Rakshasha?

It really feels like they are getting rid of a thorn in their foot by chopping the whole thing off.
Vox Machina has some real deal self loathing that guides their decision making. I think
Percy/Taliesin
is annoyed that he got his
Raven Queen
pact taken from him, so he's diving into this sub par deal on purpose.

They need to take out Hotis, because he'll be scheming against them and their friends and family for the rest of their lives, but I don't know how to go about that without pissing off a bunch of more powerful entities.

Sylas

Clerics, Sorcerers, and Wizards can cast Gate and they have to be lvl 17+

I believe Matt's also stated that he isn't just going to give his players 9th level spells and that they'll have to earn them somehow. Which makes sense flavor-wise. I've always kinda hated the idea that the PC just kinda... figures it out upon reaching level 17 from a rules perspective.

Gotta earn that shit and find a way to learn it first.

.JayZii

Banned
I believe Matt's also stated that he isn't just going to give his players 9th level spells and that they'll have to earn them somehow. Which makes sense flavor-wise. I've always kinda hated the idea that the PC just kinda... figures it out upon reaching level 17 from a rules perspective.

"Jinkies! I was just napping and had a great idea. If I move my hands like *this* while casting a spell, I might be able to alter the fabric of space time and grant myself any wish I desire. Dope."

Pilgrimzero

Your wizard etc is considered to be studying and practicing in his off time. It's not like the spell just pops into his head at lvl 17.

I'm on Tiberius' last episode. He just mentioned the bringing the Draconian Army and everyone is like wtf we can do that. I'm assuming it doesn't actually happen since it kind of came out of nowhere. The Briarwood stuff is pretty good so far. I love vampires.

Sylas

Your wizard etc is considered to be studying and practicing in his off time. It's not like the spell just pops into his head at lvl 17.
9th level spells are still ridiculously powerful. Granted, it's more of a flavor thing for me and my players--there's something satisfying about turning your powerful spells into a quest.

Maximo

I'm on Tiberius' last episode. He just mentioned the bringing the Draconian Army and everyone is like wtf we can do that. I'm assuming it doesn't actually happen since it kind of came out of nowhere. The Briarwood stuff is pretty good so far. I love vampires.

Yeah I liked Tib at the time but he tries to control the narrative too much.

.JayZii

Banned
Seems like it would depend on the campaign and the characters more than anything. If they had a wizard in Vox Machina, they would almost never have a chance to study for weeks at a time unless they specifically made time to do so.

Seems like it would depend on the campaign and the characters more than anything. If they had a wizard in Vox Machina, they would almost never have a chance to study for weeks at a time unless they specifically made time to do so.

True, though they did get some days of nonadventure during their boat ride to/from Vesra (even if most of it was flashfowarded)

Slightly off topic but just saw the thread in OT about Tony Romo. Wonder how Travis is going to take it lol.
It has been assumed for a while that the Cowboys would cut him, so he was probably mentally prepared. Now if he had stayed in the league and went to the Redskins it would have broken him.

It has been assumed for a while that the Cowboys would cut him, so he was probably mentally prepared. Now if he had stayed in the league and went to the Redskins it would have broken him.

I don't know anything about football, I just know that Travis is a cowboys fan (don't we all though since Travis hasn't been secretive about it lol)

lol ^^

If Keyleth dies, they have no way to get out of hell lmao.

Percy should really invest in a crossbow for clandestine missions. Or develop a fucking silencer.

edit: Oh wait, they have a silence scroll! I guess they forgot all about it :(

.JayZii

Banned
That was an intense game. That moment when everyone including Matt realized their campaign could be ending with a single die roll was a sobering moment. I was losing my mind when Laura was thinking the wrong door because she misheard "fanged" as "feigned".

They all looked really genuinely happy by the end of the session, too. Overall, a nice climax to a storyline that I'm sure is completely over and will never come back to bite any of them in the ass again. Ever.

Famassu

The luck of these people. A single person throws more critical 20s during a single session than our entire 4 person group has during our 3 quests (in about 9 months of playing). -_-

And how in fuck do these people not die. This third Duragon Batturu had so many of them on death's door but somehow they are all still alive. Even the Ripley fight would've gone fine had not all of the party (except Grog and Percy) started it with losing half of their health due to the trap.

Maximo

The luck of these people. A single person throws more critical 20s during a single session than our entire 4 person group has during our 3 quests (in about 9 months of playing). -_-

And how in fuck do these people not die. This third Duragon Batturu had so many of them on death's door but somehow they are all still alive. Even the Ripley fight would've gone fine had not all of the party (except Grog and Percy) started it with losing half of their health due to the trap.

They are ungodly lucky when it comes to certain fights some people bitch how death doesn't matter but Matt makes revival way harder then the official rules as well as bumping and changing abilities/stats of certain creatures he doesn't hold his punches they are just get insanely fucking lucky.

In the 1 off with Joe Manganiello on their pay site, Percy had advantage on a roll so he rolled both at the same time and both were 20s.

Top Bottom