• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cross-buy for 3DS -> Wii U (but not vice-versa) now possible only in Europe

Chindogg

FWIW I tried asking Yacht Club Games if they'd be interested in cross play for Shovel Knight.

10488058_10100479076469230_7073914473453769839_n.jpg

Gotta read between the lines on this; look at the fact that it doesn't work in both directions in the European release, and the fact that they call this "conditional purchase" instead of something more similar to cross-buy.

Assuredly what's happening here is that Nintendo doesn't actually have a single store system with a concept of products and entitlements; they have two separate systems for 3DS and Wii U, which are only linked to a shared identity provider (the NNID).
The way this is probably implemented, the 3DS system sends a message to the Wii U system (that they probably had to set up manually) after a purchase and tells it to add an item to the user's download history.

It probably doesn't work the other way (Wii U -> 3DS) because the 3DS system is older and isn't set up to capture triggers the same way. It probably doesn't work in the US because they're running on a completely different version of the store infrastructure and it hasn't been updated with the conditional
Are we certain it is added to the download history and not just a full discount on the shop. A full discount just requires a lookup when you access the page.

In any case I think it might be that the 3DS eShop does not support dynamic pricing which is what prevents it working the other way round. That is pricing things differently based on your download history (which the NNID sees everything) which essentially what this promotion (and the past ones*) are.

*-W101 30% off if Pikmin 3 bought, SMK price discount on MK8 and 30% Pullblox world if a 3DS entry owned.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
In Europe we have now the first real cross-buy title, meaning no matter which version you own you get the other one for free
Angry Bunnies (Cypronia) - Free if you downloaded Angry Bunnies: Colossal Carrot Crusade on Wii U. (Offer ends October 30, regular price €6.49/£5.99)

Angry Bunnies: Colossal Carrot Crusade (Cypronia) - Free if you downloaded Angry Bunnies on Nintendo 3DS. (Offer ends October 30, regular price €6.49/£5.99)

Its full cross-buy, but its a time-limited offer. Squids Odyssey offered only one-way cross-buy, but it wasnt/isnt time limited as far i know.

So...Baby steps i guess ?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
In Europe we have now the first real cross-buy title, meaning no matter which version you own you get the other one for free

Its full cross-buy, but its a time-limited offer. Squids Odyssey offered only one-way cross-buy, but it wasnt/isnt time limited as far i know.

So...Baby steps i guess ?

Well, yeah, it's the first true cross-buy.
Given it's a...err...not-so-big title (just to not say what it really is :lol ), it gives hope we can see it happening for other titles in the next future.

I mean, burying all the possibilities of the cross-buy with a shovel would be quite out of character for a knight.

Eh

In any case I think it might be that the 3DS eShop does not support dynamic pricing which is what prevents it working the other way round. That is pricing things differently based on your download history (which the NNID sees everything) which essentially what this promotion (and the past ones*) are.

*-W101 30% off if Pikmin 3 bought, SMK price discount on MK8 and 30% Pullblox world if a 3DS entry owned.
Looks like I was correct. I like to call dynamic pricing conditional discount these days.

I would deduce firmware 9.0 on 3DS as well as removing 3DS screenshots to the eShop added this functionality. Angry Bunnies is one example of this but the DKC Returns discount is another (yes the DK land games are on the 3DS eShop but you need to be able to look up purchase history for it to work and if you've got purchased history and are cursed with an NNID link you can look up Wii U purchases too)

Top Bottom