• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crowbcat - Gears 5 lacks weight and intensity

MMaRsu

Banned
Both are fucking terrible. Two terrible ends of spectrums. You dont wanna be a dude being all about woke shit neither should you wanna be one who hates gays and people of other color skin. Sadly on Reeee it's just one type * the woke ones* and on here it's mostly the other ones (not you)

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
I take a break for a couple weeks from GAF to enjoy Gears 5 without spoilers and trolls only to come back to all these shit show gears threads will all the usual pieces of shits trying to derail threads, troll, and ruin others discussion and enjoyment of the game. Fuck off GAF. A couple of you have been cool, but the majority of this place is a God damn joke. No one takes seriously any of the shit TLW, dforce, daniel, demigod, itwasntme, and plenty others, so what's the point of trying to discuss anything when paid shill and astroturfers are allowed to run rampant. Guess what though? All the old main posters for xbox are gone. Banned or fed up. Me too. Back to just enjoying games. Fuck this bullshit. 🖕

Damn homie went in. Definitely In his feelings lol 😂 😂 😂 talk about it big pimpin lol 😂 😂 😂

(don't kill me I'm just joking😂)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I take a break for a couple weeks from GAF to enjoy Gears 5 without spoilers and trolls only to come back to all these shit show gears threads will all the usual pieces of shits trying to derail threads, troll, and ruin others discussion and enjoyment of the game. Fuck off GAF. A couple of you have been cool, but the majority of this place is a God damn joke. No one takes seriously any of the shit TLW, dforce, daniel, demigod, itwasntme, and plenty others, so what's the point of trying to discuss anything when paid shill and astroturfers are allowed to run rampant. Guess what though? All the old main posters for xbox are gone. Banned or fed up. Me too. Back to just enjoying games. Fuck this bullshit. 🖕

tenor.gif

It's a thread about a Crowbcat video, maybe go to the official Gears 5 thread?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Mate, you are one of the most notorious Xbox Fanboys on the forums who routinely pushes console wars. You are literally no different than the people you called out. Try to at least realize how hypocritical you are before trying to start something.

Last edited:
Man I feel like it's 2008 and I'm back on the Gamespot System Wars forum!

Especially since I'm playing Gears 2 lol. Just got to the vehicle section. This game is awesome. How did we get from being swallowed by a giant worm while in a helicopter to whatever bullshit Gears 4 was peddling? :pie_thinking:

However, I noticed the cosmetic destruction was toned down somewhere along the way :pie_thinking:

60fps with a slower CPU than the 360, they had to sacrifice. They think they're heroes for hitting 60, but anyone with half a brain of videogame knowledge can see where they cut the corners.

To be fair, the CPU isn't actually slower in anything other than clock speed. IPC on Xenon was something awful like 0.2, much closer to 1 on Jaguar. Both have 128-bit vector units.

I doubt there are any circumstances where even single threaded Xenos could beat Jaguar. Maybe some kind of vectorised, predictable data streaming workload benchmark. But I don't think that in any real workload the 360's Xenos would get close.

Obviously animation, draw calls, streaming requirements, tiled resource calculations, lod calculations, audio processing, decompression overheads and system reserve and all that good shit are higher in the current gen than back on the 360.

Hopefully with the success of Gears 5, and the move to a CPU 3 ~ 4 times faster for next gen, we can get the environmental gunplay eye candy back up to crazy levels.

I did love shooting the crap out of environments in Virtua Cop 2 more than 20 years ago ...

FranXico

60fps with a slower CPU than the 360, they had to sacrifice. They think they're heroes for hitting 60, but anyone with half a brain of videogame knowledge can see where they cut the corners.
They deserve all the praise they get for commiting to 60fps and hitting the target, but of course some things were toned down here and there.

Let’s try to keep the conversation on the content of the video, and not senseless console wars going back-and-forth attacking each other.

It’s national videogames day, people!

With you there sir.

There does need to be a counter to people arguing from a position of bad faith though. Only so many blatant misrepresentations of what people are actually saying before someone pushes back.

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
With you there sir.

There does need to be a counter to people arguing from a position of bad faith though. Only so many blatant misrepresentations of what people are actually saying before someone pushes back.

Counterpoints can definitely be constructed towards posts one feels are doing that, without the parties resorting into petty name calling and downright trolling one another in a hostile or aggressive manner.

thelastword

Banned
The older XBOX posters are gone because they always assumed the victim role, they peppered threads with the whole mob mentality and when things didn't go their way "they got bitter and used very coarse language and insults against posters".....How is that wanting discussion?.....Many times you guys would say certain posters are preventing your'll from having proper discussion, but as soon as said posters vacate the thread, either willingly or through mod action, that particular thread goes dead.......So this is not about wanting discussion, its about wanting to shut the opinions of certain posters so that your opinion can thrive and perhaps become an echo chamber...…

This is not how you convince people to love and appreciate XBOX, let the games do the talking......Hell, I'm considered a PS guy, but I rarely
make contributions to PS OT's, farless XBOX....Does it mean I don't play the games, hell no.......I prefer to discuss the technical part of games.....It's just so strange that people who say they are enjoying the game want to spend more time in the tech thread, when they have declared themselves not to be tech savvy or concerned whether a game is 60fps, 30fps, 4k or 1080p...…It's all about fun to you right?..... so go on and enjoy Gears 5.......Why are people who are having an objective discourse on the technicals of Gears so enraging to some? You having fun in Gears is subjective, that's why I don't go challenging people who say they don't like UC or LOU, its their choice, their take, even when I suspect they may be trolling by calling all Sony games the same, having no or mediocre gameplay.....I'll just express why that is not so, because objectively Sony games tend to have deeper gameplay elements, more ways top approach the enemies/levels etc....So I'll call that out, but if someone says they prefer Gears over UC, it's their choice, but even then persons have a right to challenge what is considered good gameplay and can have a mature dialogue there.....

For a while now, some of you guys have endeavored to make Sony games seen as movies you just watch, so it was never about having proper discourse even when it came to gameplay elements and discussions.......So if you are really not tech savvy and get an aneurysm because persons are discussing....

-Physics dialed down
-not 4k 60fps as many articles suggested before launch
-Worse shadows and ATD than before
-Some tech sites muddying the waters with wrong technical info

The point is, this is all objective discourse, which can be proven......If such discussion is so detrimental to your enjoyment of Gears 5, which you said you spent weeks away from GAF to enjoy, how comes the first thread you decided to open was a tech thread, why not the OT to give the Gears fans your take on the game and have the great discussion you seek? Or rather find very like minded people who love the game and give it praise? I may be wrong, but I searched the Gears OT and you never posted in it, not once.......

Anyways, I'm playing Gears right now as we speak...As crowbat showed lots was dialed down....I love TPS so I'm playing anyway...it's definitely not an ugly game, it's definitely one of MS's better efforts this year.....They tried to do somethings to make it more open ended and implement some RPG lite elements like most leading TPS at the minute.....I can't say I agree with DF saying it's the best PC port ever though....I get lots of stuttering in cutscenes, even a system freeze during one last night, had to hardboot, so Coalition definitely needs to get somethings sorted out.....It would also be great if they didn't dial back all those physics, shadows and reflections for the PC version also..... PC could definitely handle all of this at 60fps..........

thelastword

Banned
Mod of War Mod of War ...….

Since he mentioned my name, just thought I would answer.....When I was attempting to post, GAF was acting funny.....Hope the post is in spec. Saw your message just moments ago...

Counterpoints can definitely be constructed towards posts one feels are doing that, without the parties resorting into petty name calling and downright trolling one another in a hostile or aggressive manner.

Ideally yeah, but what good is an accurate counterpoint if the agitator can troll and shitpost around it with impunity post after post after post after post?

Let’s try to keep the conversation on the content of the video, and not senseless console wars going back-and-forth attacking each other.

52 minutes after you posted the above:

The older XBOX posters are gone because they always assumed the victim role, they peppered threads with the whole mob mentality and when things didn't go their way "they got bitter and used very coarse language and insults against posters".....

Yeah ... it's not looking good for those of us coming into a Gears 5 thread hoping to read about and talk about Gears of War.

The older XBOX posters are gone because they always assumed the victim role, they peppered threads with the whole mob mentality and when things didn't go their way "they got bitter and used very coarse language and insults against posters".....How is that wanting discussion?.....Many times you guys would say certain posters are preventing your'll from having proper discussion, but as soon as said posters vacate the thread, either willingly or through mod action, that particular thread goes dead.......So this is not about wanting discussion, its about wanting to shut the opinions of certain posters so that your opinion can thrive and perhaps become an echo chamber...…

tenor.gif

This is seriously some of the dumbest shit I've read around here. And that's saying a lot.

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
Ideally yeah, but what good is an accurate counterpoint if the agitator can troll and shitpost around it with impunity post after post after post after post?

52 minutes after you posted the above:

Yeah ... it's not looking good for those of us coming into a Gears 5 thread hoping to read about and talk about Gears of War.

If you feel a post is trolling and breaking any of the rules, then report the post and the staff will handle the situation, just as I did here.

I removed the petty personal attacks to get the ship back on course, and did not warn or thread ban anyone. Gave you all the benefit of the doubt that you were just getting a little heated but still saw there was a want to discuss the topic.

For thelastword thelastword , I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he did not see my post since he quoted one on the page prior, in which he acknowledged that he saw mine after.

To address your point about discussing the game, these are technical and or critique threads that are going to have both positive and disappointing commentary in them.

Good rule of thumb is that OTs are the main “safe space” for the games where we are much, much heavier handed at removing troublesome posters with the only intent is to troll. With that said, I commend the community for doing a good job respecting those threads, since we almost never get reports from them.

Again, use the report feature and the staff will assess and action accordingly if needed.

Soltype

Why is that people are more vocal about gears 5 and it's a better game than 4. I don't remember people complaining half as much about 4 when it came out.

Why is that people are more vocal about gears 5 and it's a better game than 4. I don't remember people complaining half as much about 4 when it came out.

Gears 4 was a soft launch in general, I barely knew it existed. Played it on gamepass and got maybe 70% in with a friend before giving up because of how boring it was.

thelastword

Banned
If you feel a post is trolling and breaking any of the rules, then report the post and the staff will handle the situation, just as I did here.

I removed the petty personal attacks to get the ship back on course, and did not warn or thread ban anyone. Gave you all the benefit of the doubt that you were just getting a little heated but still saw there was a want to discuss the topic.

For thelastword thelastword , I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he did not see my post since he quoted one on the page prior, in which he acknowledged that he saw mine after.

To address your point about discussing the game, these are technical and or critique threads that are going to have both positive and disappointing commentary in them.

Good rule of thumb is that OTs are the main “safe space” for the games where we are much, much heavier handed at removing troublesome posters with the only intent is to troll. With that said, I commend the community for doing a good job respecting those threads, since we almost never get reports from them.

Again, use the report feature and the staff will assess and action accordingly if needed.
What happened is, I quoted the poster some time ago and started the response, but got engaged in other activities, so I came back to it a bit later...…..After completing the response. I hit submit, it tried to connect, but I got some weird page saying Gaf was offline, waited a few minutes and refreshed the posting again, it went through.......Then I saw the other posts including Mod of Wars...…It is then I made mention of that to him and asked if my post was inline with what he requested.....

quickwhips

This thread is crazy trying to catch up. I finished the first chapter and played some escape, horde and koth. Probably best multiplayer gaming ive had in a long time. Campaign is good so far. I miss Baird smart ass comments every two seconds still though. I thought gears 4 story was boring but ill see how i feel with 5 when i finish the campaign.

MiguelItUp

Wow, this thread is a flashback to a lot of THOSE threads from decades ago, lol. I never would've expected that considering the original topic, lol.

The video points out a lot of details that honestly just make 4/5 feel less meatier and intense than 1-3, and it's pretty crazy. New/different team and all that, sure, but why remove standard mechanics that were present in the games previously? It's really strange. Not to mention it makes the end result just not feel as weightier, as full, or as intense. Game still looks beautiful though, plus I feel like I haven't played a Gears game in eons, and I adored 1-3.

Wow, this thread is a flashback to a lot of THOSE threads from decades ago, lol. I never would've expected that considering the original topic, lol.

The video points out a lot of details that honestly just make 4/5 feel less meatier and intense than 1-3, and it's pretty crazy. New/different team and all that, sure, but why remove standard mechanics that were present in the games previously? It's really strange. Not to mention it makes the end result just not feel as weightier, as full, or as intense. Game still looks beautiful though, plus I feel like I haven't played a Gears game in eons, and I adored 1-3.

There's certainly a tradeoff between "weight" and "response". For me, now playing on a mouse and keyboard, it feels better - more responsive and engaging.

The armour in Gears 1 ~ 3 made everyone look like an absolute unit. Especially with the legs. The new characters look a bit more mobile, and feel that way too. It's a change alright, but I'm glad they've done it. Still has a very solid feel to it though. Those necks...

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

I do feel like there is something lost between the weight and grit of the original trilogy and the more speedy, high tech new trilogy - but they are also going for different things and have different goals. 1-3 felt like you were in the middle of a horrid war full of misery, torture, and death. 4 and 5 feel more like the start of a war using new technology and techniques that were developed and perfected during the time of peace post-war.

Seems like they preserved the classic Gears mechanics :messenger_weary: :messenger_ok:

I'll never understand why people play PvP in gears. I remember giving it a chance in gears 2, it's such a rage inducing online experience. Like how is having instakill weapons a good idea in a game you can abuse the rolling and snapping to cover mechanics to close large distances in no time? Never touched it again after that.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Replating Gears trilogy almost every year and I love those games. 1 is heavy, slow and atmospheric. 2 and 3 are crazy and absurd. Nothing else like this. Fantastic games with likable characters.
4 was okish but quite boring and characters sucked aside from Marcus. I will play 5 next week with gamepass on pc. I think it will be first gears I play first in coop so maybe that will help.

SLB1904

Banned
Funny how when a Xbox exclusive releases a single negative review warrants a freaking own thread...

With a Sony exclusive game people would never do this on NeoGAF
That's bull and you know it.
The game still great it has flaws that could improve in a sequel.
Also the game is sitting on 85/10
What else you guys want.

thelastword

Banned
Funny how when a Xbox exclusive releases a single negative review warrants a freaking own thread...

With a Sony exclusive game people would never do this on NeoGAF
It's not really a review of the gameplay/gameplay mechanics, but an honest technical review...It's objective....The only thing that ties it to how the game is perceived, is how some of these technical issues can dial down immersion in the game, which can also impact how you receive/rate a game....

I won't call Crowbcat review negative, but real, nothing is sugar coated or excluded, no opinions are given, just raw footage showing the differences between Gear's generations..

As for traditional reviews, they are not all rosey, there are a few negative ones. I guess you can call these negative, but it's their opinion and such reviews are subjective......

New Game Network 73

"Gears 5 offers a familiar action experience that should satisfy fans who gravitate towards its expanded multiplayer options. And yet, the uneven campaign and lack of significant gameplay innovations mean this latest chapter does little to draw in the uninitiated."

Gamespot 70

"Gears 5 is very much a return of those best elements of Gears of War, but with a focus on making the game feel somewhat more adaptive to your particular ways of playing. Whether you want campaign or co-op, Competitive or Quickplay, there's an option for you in Gears 5, and plenty of stuff to reward you for time spent and skill gained. Gears 5 might suffer from some of the same storytelling missteps as its predecessors, and it might not venture far out of the past, but the new ideas it brings to the series are all good reasons for fans to return."

Gamer.No 70
"Gears 5 has the worst single player campaign in the series so far. However, the multiplayer is still excellent."

Metro Game Central 70
"The attempts to innovate in terms of storytelling and structure feel superficial and ineffective, leaving Gears 5 to survive purely on its increasingly overfamiliar action."

US Gamer 60
"Gears 5 survives on its solid cover shooting gameplay and a campaign that isn't afraid to pose difficult questions about problematic topics. But the largely stagnant Horde mode and general mess of an Escape mode really pull the sequel back from being a bold step forward."

-------------
You see, even in the most negative reviews for Gears 5, some hate the multiplayer, some prefer the campaign etc.....It's all subjective unlike what you present in objective tech threads......Hope that clears this up for you......

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
At least Crowbat finally came out with another video
His videos are always super entertaining. It is cool to not like him recently but I find myself agreeing with most of his stuff which does not mean I don't like those games. I enjoyed Crackdown 3 for what it was but his video on it was great

I have a theory that the more games advance in better frame rate and graphics, which is a good thing, the less and less detail will become a concern.
Analogy here I could think of is games are becoming "Toy Story 4" in higher fps and 4k resolution but lack the detail of Avatar.

gatti-man

I'll never understand why people play PvP in gears. I remember giving it a chance in gears 2, it's such a rage inducing online experience. Like how is having instakill weapons a good idea in a game you can abuse the rolling and snapping to cover mechanics to close large distances in no time? Never touched it again after that.
It’s not really abuse if everyone can do it. It’s mechanics that you learn and learn how to counter. Gears 2 was probably my favorite mp of them all lol. Sure it was rage inducing but also had insane 1v4 victory moments etc.

The only thing I ever hated was sticking grenades to walls that were impossible to see with some wall textures. Even that was cool though.

Last edited:

Piku_Ringo

Banned
His videos are always super entertaining. It is cool to not like him recently but I find myself agreeing with most of his stuff which does not mean I don't like those games. I enjoyed Crackdown 3 for what it was but his video on it was great

Oh, don't misunderstand, I enjoy Crowbat and his videos are always insightful even with him never really having to utter single word in them. Especially his E3 cringe completion supercuts. I just don't like the long waits for another upload from him. But I suppose quality over quantity is best.

Top Bottom