• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

crowdfunded Phoenix Point now 1 year Epic Store exclusive.

mcz117chief

Man now I'm starting to get pissed. Before this whole incident you could download backer builds from a link they sent you via Xsolla, but now, oh boy, they want you to download the Epic Store Launcher just to get another backer build since now they just provide keys. Oh man, what a load of crock.

Kadayi

Banned
I'm amazed that they thought this whole dick move to their backers would go well for them, so I can only envisage that they must be in some financial straits in terms of bringing the game to market and so the Epic deal in terms of the money hatting, even with the refund issue is really just a means to tide them over during the final stages of production.

Swap the Name 'Epic' With Activision, EA, Sony, Microsoft, Valve, Ubisoft...and I have seen this thread countless times before.

Epic will release a game that everybody will love and Epic will be the saviours of gaming

This guy has been pretty honest. They took the money from Epic to make it the best game possible.

Very strange that people would want the quality of a game suffer because it isn't on 'their' favourite stores.

And I thought console fanboys were bad :messenger_neutral: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Kenpachii

Nice will check it out.

Swap the Name 'Epic' With Activision, EA, Sony, Microsoft, Valve, Ubisoft...and I have seen this thread countless times before.

Epic will release a game that everybody will love and Epic will be the saviours of gaming

This guy has been pretty honest. They took the money from Epic to make it the best game possible.

Very strange that people would want the quality of a game suffer because it isn't on 'their' favourite stores.

And I thought console fanboys were bad :messenger_neutral: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Just your typical zoomer steam fanboys. They smoked gaben the savior to much and are now indoctrinated.

Its sad, but with time they will realize there a huge market on PC outside of steam.

Last edited:

Devs should work for free though. Bad, lazy devs. /s

Diddy X

Epic giving a damn about other company's customers wouldn't make much sense, they want customers for themselves and they will do whatever it takes to get them as long as it's legal and it's right in capitalism.

Dunki

Nice will check it out.

Just your typical zoomer steam fanboys. They smoked gaben the savior to much and are now indoctrinated.

Its sad, but with time they will realize there a huge market on PC outside of steam.
No one is questioning this. HOWEVER. Leaving alone such a HUGE market like Steam sounds utterly ridiculous and Stupid. Especially when we know that such games are heavily frontloaded. Best thing is to give Customers the choice. Also Epic does not care about ANYONE else as long it is not on the Steam Store.

Not forgetting, that the store is a fucking mess. Do they have a shopping cart now or do you still get banned for byuing multiple Products at once?

I amke a more extrem compariion but otherwisepeople will not understand it. No matter how good a product is. When its being sold by the Saudis I still would not support it. Same here. Epic has caused a destructive and toxic atmosphere with their lies, and attacks towards Steam. They always try to paint Steam as the bad guy here while they actually doing everything they can to destroy the PC community.

Epic was almost dead before Fortnite and Honestly I can not wait until Fortnite is over and they are back to their pittyful self. Maybe then they will realize how fucking vile and arrogant they are/were

Also I am not a fucking asshole so I will not Support Chinese companies. I have made several sacrafices already. Games I will never play because of it. But to me my morals and stadards are much more important than a game series I love. (aka Anno)

Last edited:
People are so immature over EGS exclusives...

It costs you NOTHING to install the EGS app.
The devs can make a BETTER game, with ZERO extra cost from you.
The devs live a happier life in a industry rife with stress, long hours, and unpredictable sales.

Stop being so toxic everyone.
The Devs have litterally being bought out. They don't need anyone to play the game because they got fully compensated. But the only reason they got bought out was because the fans gave them the support they needed to catch Epic's eye. So now the fans got milked for support, then was abandoned once they are no longer needed.

Yes, the devs got rich, but don't think this wasn't a betrayal. Everything they did was legal, but we both know it wasn't ethical. They can enjoy their money because I am not going to give them a penny. They don't need it anymore anyway.

Hostile_18

Banned
Honestly if the shop you purchase this game from has that much effect on you as a backer then perhaps you wernt as big a fan of this game as you think you are. Never mind this shop will be doing so much more for the IP you "love" than Steam ever would in terms of financial support.

Refunds for those that want them are reasonable but theres so much to be aggrieved over in the game industry as a consumer but shop front (that is accessible to all) really isn't one of them.

Kenpachii

No one is questioning this. HOWEVER. Leaving alone such a HUGE market like Steam sounds utterly ridiculous and Stupid. Especially when we know that such games are heavily frontloaded. Best thing is to give Customers the choice. Also Epic does not care about ANYONE else as long it is not on the Steam Store.

Not forgetting, that the store is a fucking mess. Do they have a shopping cart now or do you still get banned for byuing multiple Products at once?

I amke a more extrem compariion but otherwisepeople will not understand it. No matter how good a product is. When its being sold by the Saudis I still would not support it. Same here. Epic has caused a destructive and toxic atmosphere with their lies, and attacks towards Steam. They always try to paint Steam as the bad guy here while they actually doing everything they can to destroy the PC community.

Epic was almost dead before Fortnite and Honestly I can not wait until Fortnite is over and they are back to their pittyful self. Maybe then they will realize how fucking vile and arrogant they are/were

Also I am not a fucking asshole so I will not Support Chinese companies. I have made several sacrafices already. Games I will never play because of it. But to me my morals and stadards are much more important than a game series I love. (aka Anno)

U are the perfect example of what i was talking about. A indoctrinated steam fanboy.

Last edited:

Dunki

Honestly if the shop you purchase this game from has that much effect on you as a backer then perhaps you wernt as big a fan of this game as you think you are. Never mind this shop will be doing so much more for the IP you "love" than Steam ever would in terms of financial support.

Refunds for those that want them are reasonable but theres so much to be aggrieved over in the game industry as a consumer but shop front (that is accessible to all) really isn't one of them.
To all huh? Tell that to the developer of Darq who wanted to sell his game on all Stores but after he declined the exclusive offer suddendly Epic store was out of the question.

Also when you promise a Steam release with your Kickstarter or other corwdfunding and suddendly you are saying FUCK YOU to these people without this game would not even be possible. Then I already know that I can and will not trust this developer EVER again until he apologizes for his greed

U are the perfect example of what i was talking about.
Thanks for the compliment. Because unlike you I have morals and Standard values I will follow.

Last edited:
People get weak in the knees with a guarantee of a payout. It's understandable as we're all looking to survive and thrive the best we can, but many casually throw their integrity in the bin for a little coin.

Hostile_18

Banned
To all huh? Tell that to the developer of Darq who wanted to sell his game on all Stores but after he declined the exclusive offer suddendly Epic store was out of the question.

Also when you promise a Steam release with your Kickstarter or other corwdfunding and suddendly you are saying FUCK YOU to these people without this game would not even be possible. Then I already know that I can and will not trust this developer EVER again until he apologizes for his greed

Thanks for the compliment. Because unlike you I have morals and Standard values I will follow.

Open to all as in any consumer can download the epic app, it's not like a console exclusive. No one from the audience is locked out and the game can have alot more resources put into it as a result.

If anything I think you should direct your anger at Steam for offering such unfavourable terms to developers.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I followed through on my promise to refund Shenmue 3, and have yet to install the Epic launcher. I will continue to refund crowdfunded exclusives and other exclusives to the point where all options are exhausted. My hate is strong and still growing.

Dunki

Open to all as in any consumer can download the epic app, it's not like a console exclusive. No one from the audience is locked out and the game can have alot more resources put into it as a result.

If anything I think you should direct your anger at Steam for offering such unfavourable terms to developers.
Oh yeah the 12% lie....

Lets just ignore that the 30% is the standard fee EVERYONE else takes. Lets forget that Valve is working on the store and its features all the time. Lets ignore such great features like local remote play, family sharing etc. Let us just ignore this.

Sweeny himslef said that the 12% is NOT substainable at all to even manage the Epic Store. A Storefront which has not even the basic features you could programm in a few weeks. A Storefron which has no Shopping cart. Which had no serch function for over a year. A Storefront which gets you banned when you purchase too much at once. But yeah lets all believe the 12% lie which they only do to hurt Epic and so they even have the slightest chance of success

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member

The devs can make a BETTER game, with ZERO extra cost from you.
The devs live a happier life in a industry rife with stress, long hours, and unpredictable sales.

Stop being so toxic everyone.

I've used Steam for almost 15 years now, I trust the service and have kept my games on there for a long time. I also like the service - it's added tons of features over the years, it's very mature and rounded out, and works well. So demanding I ditch the service so I like and trust to use one I don't like and don't trust actually costs me something. Because I play videogames to enjoy myself, not to make devs rich.

If Epic wanted to get me on board they actually need to give me a reason to, and moneyhatting devs with Fortnite zoomer money isn't it. Call me a Steam drone if you want, but it's objectively not true, as I've been playing PC games lately through Xbox. But that's because MS gave me access to them for $1. Even then, I trust MS/Xbox more than I do Epic.

I'll skip Phoenix Point until it comes out on a service I use. I can play one of the zillions of TBS games on the other platforms until then.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Hopefully people that keep mentioning this sentence will look at the fact that people want to spend money to jump on the VR train for Alyx will soon realise that cost has nothing to do with the negativity towards EGS.

Mattyp

Gold Member
New streamer meltdowns are always the best threads, even these older ones I miss.

Thanks for the bump.

lukilladog

That´s just wishful thinking. I can do the same and tell you to spend all of your money on steam exclusively so new devs keep bringing new ideas and concepts. Epic is cherry picking and discriminating heavily what they allow on their store.

Top Bottom