• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cruis'n Blast (Arcade) announced by Raw Thrills and Nintendo. Out Jan 2017

Celine

Really?...

Cruis'n USA was an average game at best, I can't believe that. At all.
Cruis'n series is one of those strange case where the shallow gameplay sort of become its strength point (with the presentation and american low brow humor) for a quick and casual experience.
Cruis'n series has a cult following due to its crazy popularity in the '90s.
Selling over 70K cabinets in the '90s arcade scene was a huge number (for comparison Mortal Kombat + Mortal Kombat 2 sold about 51K cabinets).

Ye gads! That cabinet looks like everything 90s was put in a blender together and mushed into some hypercolour nightmare.

man, we never had arcades in germany in the 90s :(
Really? So at the height of the Streetfighter 2/Mortal Kombat/NBA Jam etc craze, there were no arcades in Germany? That is really sad.

You should give Trackmania a try if you haven't.

I've been looking to get this game but with no demo, I'm not too sure about buying it. Are the controls anything like Daytona? I mean where it controls well and you aren't sliding all over the place. Pure arcade racer. Even if its nothing like Daytona, hwo about Sonic Racing Transform? I don't want a hybrid racer like Forza Horizon.

I don't think a Raw Thrills game has ever been ported to console.

This is the said truth. A Raw Thrills team is largely made up of people who made Hydro Thunder. That team made a spiritual successor called H2Overdrive. There's a ton of great videos of it online. Sadly, I have never encountered an H2Overdrive machine. :(

Sakujou

Banned
Ye gads! That cabinet looks like everything 90s was put in a blender together and mushed into some hypercolour nightmare.

Really? So at the height of the Streetfighter 2/Mortal Kombat/NBA Jam etc craze, there were no arcades in Germany? That is really sad.

arcades were considered gambling so the only few machines available were only for adults.

i only was able to see some arcades when we went seeing relatives in france, UK or Spain.

when i got the first time to japan more than 10 years ago, i jizzed my pants to see so many arcades still going so strong.

750Ti's roughly on par with PS4/XB1, right? If so, don't get your hopes up that NX will match this.

That depends on the engine and whether said engine supports fp16. But this is a raw thrills game so it's more than likely you won't see a home release regardless

For all the jokes about The 750ti here, it is certainly higher end than your typical arcade cabinet

big_erk

In Kansas City we have an arcade/bar called Up/Down. They need to get one of these in there.

IMG_6436-post_zpsjprjws5o.jpg

I'd like to try it out, but Raw Thrills doesn't port their games to consoles and I don't live anywhere near an arcade cabinet to my knowledge, so whatever.

Next best thing would be for Nintendo to make one specifically for their own platforms, considering they own the IP itself. It would be nice to have a new over-the-top crazy arcade racer again. Wasn't too fond of the N64 USA port, but N64 World was legit.

This is the said truth. A Raw Thrills team is largely made up of people who made Hydro Thunder. That team made a spiritual successor called H2Overdrive. There's a ton of great videos of it online. Sadly, I have never encountered an H2Overdrive machine. :(

Speaking of which, Hydro Thunder (great game) did get a sequel (Hurricane), which according to reviewers was pretty good. But it's an XBLA exclusive (MS bought out the Hydro Thunder IP before Midway was acquired by WB), which kinda sucks considering the original game was on N64, PS1, and DC. :/

Joey Ravn

Banned
"State of the art GTX 750 Ti Nvidia supercomputer"

... 2017.

They are "coding to the metal". I mean, sure, that expression is terribly PR-ish, but given how well the 750 Ti performed a few years ago and having a locked-down set of hardware, I can see why they could boast about the graphics.

And it's certainly much better than what most arcades have always had, and currently have.

As I said in the other thread 2 month ago, I do still see this coming to NX considering crus'n for wii was by the same company.
4 of the 5 cruisins were arcade ports and GBA exclusive was a rushed game for launch window.

Airan

They are "coding to the metal". I mean, sure, that expression is terribly PR-ish, but given how well the 750 Ti performed a few years ago and having a locked-down set of hardware, I can see why they could boast about the graphics.

And it's certainly much better than what most arcades have always had, and currently have.

Raw Thrill's inhouse engine has never been anything spectacular though. Very intrigued to see if the graphics in this game are worthy of the marketing hyperbole.

arcades were considered gambling so the only few machines available were only for adults.

i only was able to see some arcades when we went seeing relatives in france, UK or Spain.

when i got the first time to japan more than 10 years ago, i jizzed my pants to see so many arcades still going so strong.
Dude...I feel for you that you missed out on that arcade era. That's not fair.

In case anybody was interested, I'm going to put an approximation at $12,000 per unit.

Source: I used to work in the arcade industry and still have some connections there. Also, this price fits in with what Raw Thrills has been charging their distributors for the last couple larger racing games.

pulsemyne

Yeah there was just a midway board in Cruisin USA. Nothing N64 at all.
Also a 750Ti is, as others have said, good for an arcade board. If the NX has the same power then it's certainly comparable to vanilla PS4/Xbone.

Synth

For all the jokes about The 750ti here, it is certainly higher end than your typical arcade cabinet

This is honestly the saddest thing about all this.

Remember the days when "state of the art" in the arcades truly fucking meant something (Model 2, CPS3, etc)? Now it means about X1/PS4 level, 3 years later, when those console's hardware was already underwhelming at launch. :(

Dremark

Banned
Never cared much for this series but I know a lot of people have a soft spot for it so I'm still kind of glad to see it's making a comeback.

alf717

I got some Excite Truck vibes from the attract mode video. Seems to be a mix of Crusi'N and Rush.

Wow a new Cruis'n arcade title in 2017. What decade do I live in now. Too bad where I live there are really no arcade's anymore which is a shame.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Pretty cool. Hope the game turns out good (and comes to the Dave & Buster's near me).

Here's a list of known locations of H2Overdrive cabinets: http://aurcade.com/games/view.aspx?id=1420

_woLf

This actually looks a lot more like what I'd expect from a Cruis'n game compared to the abomination that was released for the Wii. I'd play it.

All we need now is a new SF Rush and Xtreme G.

Arcadehero

Neo Member
To clear up a few things (I wrote the AH post, have been in contact with Raw Thrills about this)

- There is no NX port on the table. Like Raw Thrills' other games, this is meant to be arcade exclusive. Raw Thrills developed the game in-house and their market relies on exclusivity. See: World's Largest Pac-Man (2016); Galaga Assault (2016); Jurassic Park (2015); MotoGP (2015); Galaga Assault (2015) Aliens Armageddon (2012) and pretty much everything else that have done excepting Target Terror and the Cruis'n port on Wii (the latter was a port of the original FnF game they did). That isn't to say such a thing might change a few years down the road but at the moment they (Raw Thrills) have no plans for it.

It also is worth pointing out that Nintendo has been on an arcade licensing kick as of late: Mario Kart Arcade GP DX (to Namco); Luigi's Mansion Arcade (Capcom & Sega) and Mario & Sonic At The Rio 2016 Olympic Games Arcade Edition (Sega). Mario Kart is arcade exclusive and both of the Sega ones have elements that are different from the consoles, particularly MSR which has a wildly different control scheme.

-I own an arcade and was quoted $7200 each. I already put in a pre-order for a pair ;) That doesn't include shipping and taxes of course. Pricing will vary among the different distributors out there but they will likely be pretty close to that. To compare, the Mario Kart Arcade GP DX games that Namco is currently selling tend to be around $11,000; Sega's Showdown is around $8000.

-Lately all of RT's games have been running off of HP boxes that run Ubuntu Linux. Not sure what CPU or RAM will be in Cruis'n but their target is 1080p@60FPS

-The card system "might" come back. Not sure how that might work exactly unless they keep a spot available on the control panel or do the Namco/Sega thing and have a separate kiosk station

-Cruis'n Blast will be at a major amusement tradeshow next month called IAAPA 2016. I'll get some hands-on video of it then plus their new The Walking Dead light-gun game that is also coming Q1 2017.

-I'm waiting on one more email but I'm getting some info that Raw Thrills is working on a Space Invaders arcade game that is meant to release at the end of 2017/beginning of 2018

Hope that clears some things up :)

To clear up a few things (I wrote the AH post, have been in contact with Raw Thrills about this)

- There is no NX port on the table. Like Raw Thrills' other games, this is meant to be arcade exclusive. Raw Thrills developed the game in-house and their market relies on exclusivity. See: World's Largest Pac-Man (2016); Galaga Assault (2016); Jurassic Park (2015); MotoGP (2015); Galaga Assault (2015) Aliens Armageddon (2012) and pretty much everything else that have done excepting Target Terror and the Cruis'n port on Wii (the latter was a port of the original FnF game they did). That isn't to say such a thing might change a few years down the road but at the moment they (Raw Thrills) have no plans for it.

It also is worth pointing out that Nintendo has been on an arcade licensing kick as of late: Mario Kart Arcade GP DX (to Namco); Luigi's Mansion Arcade (Capcom & Sega) and Mario & Sonic At The Rio 2016 Olympic Games Arcade Edition (Sega). Mario Kart is arcade exclusive and both of the Sega ones have elements that are different from the consoles, particularly MSR which has a wildly different control scheme.

-I own an arcade and was quoted $7200 each. I already put in a pre-order for a pair ;) That doesn't include shipping and taxes of course. Pricing will vary among the different distributors out there but they will likely be pretty close to that. To compare, the Mario Kart Arcade GP DX games that Namco is currently selling tend to be around $11,000; Sega's Showdown is around $8000.

-Lately all of RT's games have been running off of HP boxes that run Ubuntu Linux. Not sure what CPU or RAM will be in Cruis'n but their target is 1080p@60FPS

-The card system "might" come back. Not sure how that might work exactly unless they keep a spot available on the control panel or do the Namco/Sega thing and have a separate kiosk station

-Cruis'n Blast will be at a major amusement tradeshow next month called IAAPA 2016. I'll get some hands-on video of it then plus their new The Walking Dead light-gun game that is also coming Q1 2017.

-I'm waiting on one more email but I'm getting some info that Raw Thrills is working on a Space Invaders arcade game that is meant to release at the end of 2017/beginning of 2018

Hope that clears some things up :)

Thanks for the clarification and info! :)

I would hope though that Nintendo gets Sumo Digital on an NX port. Raw Thrills don't even develop on consoles. Target Terror and Cruis'n Wii I think were both outsourced. Big Buck Hunter Pro Wii I think was by Play Mechanix before they merged, not sure, but even then... :p

Arcadehero

Neo Member
That's right, I forgot about the Big Buck home stuff. They have an odd plug-n-play version of that too but it's so watered down compared to the arcade stuff that no one into BB really cares :p

I also want to mention another arcade racer that is making a comeback (Not MaxiTune 5, which Namco is finally bringing over to the US) but I'm waiting on more concrete info to spill the beans. It will be pretty big though, arcade fans will be excited.

That's right, I forgot about the Big Buck home stuff. They have an odd plug-n-play version of that too but it's so watered down compared to the arcade stuff that no one into BB really cares :p

I also want to mention another arcade racer that is making a comeback (Not MaxiTune 5, which Namco is finally bringing over to the US) but I'm waiting on more concrete info to spill the beans. It will be pretty big though, arcade fans will be excited.

Would you know what Big Buck Hunter Pro on Wii is most based on? Is it a direct-port of a specific entry or what? I've been curious.

GDGF

Soothsayer

There is an H2Overdrive cabinet at the local Cici's Pizza here (Savannah, Ga). Gave it a shot the last time I wanted a stomach bomb. Pretty fun!

Guess I should add the location to the list above when I get a chance.

Oregano

OMG Sega Rally is coming back!/joke

That would be crazy hype though.

Was this for the SD cabinet (shown at location tests) or the (what I assume is the) DX cabinet in the press release?

Arcadehero

Neo Member
Would you know what Big Buck Hunter Pro on Wii is most based on? Is it a direct-port of a specific entry or what? I've been curious.

IIRC, It was a port of the arcade version of Big Buck Hunter Pro. At the time Raw Thrills/Play Mechanix was moving on to Big Buck Safari and then Big Buck World. At the moment they are on Big Buck HD Wild, which should be the case until 2018, maybe longer.

OMG Sega Rally is coming back!/joke

That would be crazy hype though.

All I'll say is that it is Sega. Problem is that they have a lot of good racers to pull from :p

Was this for the SD cabinet (shown at location tests) or the (what I assume is the) DX cabinet in the press release?

The location test version was only for testing and it reused some CARS cabinets that they had overstock on (that game was done as a limited release to Chuck E Cheeses around 2012/2013). The version pictured is currently the only one they have shared. I asked if they would do a motion version like they did with Jurassic Park last year but that was a no. The last time RT did different cabinet versions was with Fast And Furious Super Cars but they had the SD version and the kit. I do imagine that they could do a DX version if Dave & Busters wants it though. They did that for the Ghostbusters videmption game that is out there.

Top Bottom