• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crypt of the NecroDancer |Release OT| Kick off your early access shoes

Vlad

I have this game for months but I still have no idea how to play it well.

The best thing I can say is: don't rush. As tempting as it is to just barge into a room and start murdering to the beat, that's a good way to start taking extra hits that you simply can't afford. Once you see a group of enemies, assess the situation and back off it necessary. If there's a bunch of skeletons in a room, it's often best to hop back to where you came from and let them filter over to you.

This really applies a lot for the later enemies, some of whom you have to hit, back away, hit, back away, etc.

You can bomb the shopkeeper's walls for extra gold.

Is there a way to map the controls to the facebuttons + the dpad of a 360 controller? The X/B and Y/A combos are really annoying to do on just the face buttons.

CassSept

What is the penalty for not finishing levels in time?

Also, any exploration tips for beginners? I keep running out of time and I don't know how to approach it.

BigDug13

Also, any exploration tips for beginners? I keep running out of time and I don't know how to approach it.

Pretty sure the penalty is simply dropping to the next level and not getting whatever money and items were left on the level. Only tip I got is to buy a torch as soon as it's available. Even a +1 regular torch is huge at helping to find hidden rooms. Blow up a shopkeeper corner with the one bomb you get at the start to gain 50 gold to help buy something right away. I think about 75% of the time that's where my default bomb gets dropped when I start.

Dr. Buni

The best thing I can say is: don't rush. As tempting as it is to just barge into a room and start murdering to the beat, that's a good way to start taking extra hits that you simply can't afford. Once you see a group of enemies, assess the situation and back off it necessary. If there's a bunch of skeletons in a room, it's often best to hop back to where you came from and let them filter over to you.

This really applies a lot for the later enemies, some of whom you have to hit, back away, hit, back away, etc.

You can bomb the shopkeeper's walls for extra gold.
Thanks, these are helpful tips. Is there any way of keeping the beat without moving the character?

Oh I am still get wrecked by the dragon if I don't have the fire laser beam thingy.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

If you don't beat the boss before the song finishes, you get trapped in a small room with him on the next floor. No punishment if you beat the boss and unlock the stairs and then roam around.

Thanks, these are helpful tips. Is there any way of keeping the beat without moving the character?

Oh I am still get wrecked by the dragon if I don't have the fire laser beam thingy.

There's an item you can find that keeps your multiplier going, and a character who doesn't have to move on the beat. For the most part you need to be moving though.

If you need to close a gap with an enemy, try moving to a wall and digging, it keeps the beat but you don't move.

If you manage to pick up a war drum in a dungeon you can hit that instead of moving, but it's pretty rare.

Ge0force

Banned
I started playing today, what a great game! I unlocked zone 2 after a few tries, but after going to the character select screen, zone 2 was locked again. I didn't select another character tho. Is this a bug or normal behaviour?

Tenebrous

I started playing today, what a great game! I unlocked zone 2 after a few tries, but after going to the character select screen, zone 2 was locked again. I didn't select another character tho. Is this a bug or normal behaviour?

Can't say it's ever happened to me, but I'm sure it's easily fixed. Beating it again shouldn't be too hard... Unlike Zone 2, which is a nightmare right now, haha.

I need to dig through my music collection for some custom OST goodness. Already got Hotline Miami added to the mix.

Dr. Buni

There's an item you can find that keeps your multiplier going, and a character who doesn't have to move on the beat. For the most part you need to be moving though.
If you need to close a gap with an enemy, try moving to a wall and digging, it keeps the beat but you don't move.

If you manage to pick up a war drum in a dungeon you can hit that instead of moving, but it's pretty rare.
Nice. Thanks!

Murugo

I've been playing Necrodancer since its early access launch last year. It's my favorite indie game without a doubt and one of the best rhythm games out there. The developers have put an incredible amount of effort in polishing the experience.

The only character keeping me from completing an all character run is Monk. With the poverty restriction it's very easy to get yourself trapped by gold, and on occasion I forget what I'm doing and pick up gold in front of me. Once that's done, though,
it's off to the Coda grind.

Corpekata

Banned
I don't think you need to do combos. I just map them in the game, everything is one button for me. Map the combos to like L1 or whatever. Though generally I only have enough items and spells for A, X, Y, B, L1 for bombs and sometimes R1 if I have 2 spells.

Miker

The Dualshock 4 with its separate buttons on the D-pad is godlike for this game. Move with the D-pad, as god intended, and combos are assigned to the face buttons and triggers as needed.

If you don't beat the boss before the song finishes, you get trapped in a small room with him on the next floor. No punishment if you beat the boss and unlock the stairs and then roam around.

Correction: If you fail to finish a floor in time, you might be forced to fight a couple of enemies and a mini-boss in a enclosed room before progressing. Note that this mini-boss is not the one you have to kill to open the stairs to the next floor. Basically, there will be 2 mini-bosses in one floor.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Correction: If you fail to finish a floor in time, you might be forced to fight a couple of enemies and a mini-boss in a enclosed room before progressing. Note that this mini-boss is not the one you have to kill to open the stairs to the next floor. Basically, there will be 2 mini-bosses in one floor.

I think it depends on if you've already beaten the current floor's miniboss before time running out.

I run out of time all the time and never spawn in the miniboss room, probably because I'm usually using all that time to get every last pick up and kill every last enemy, not to run away from the enemies.

I've been playing Necrodancer since its early access launch last year. It's my favorite indie game without a doubt and one of the best rhythm games out there. The developers have put an incredible amount of effort in polishing the experience.

The only character keeping me from completing an all character run is Monk. With the poverty restriction it's very easy to get yourself trapped by gold, and on occasion I forget what I'm doing and pick up gold in front of me. Once that's done, though,
It took me 15 hours to beat the game as Monk. It was really strange going back to the other characters after him, as I would constantly hesitate to pick up gold, whereas when I first started with Monk, I couldn't stop attempting to pick up gold and thus dying. lol. I think in time I could finish Aria and Bolt, but doing an all character run is too much. That would take a whole lot of dedication and skill. It sounds like you have both of those though, so best of luck to you.
I think it depends on if you've already beaten the current floor's miniboss before time running out.

I run out of time all the time and never spawn in the miniboss room, probably because I'm usually using all that time to get every last pick up and kill every last enemy, not to run away from the enemies.
This is correct. If you have killed the floor's boss, you will not be penalised for jumping through a trapdoor, or waiting out the whole song. You will spawn normally in the next level.
Basically, just never be in line horizontally with it for more than one beat. Kill it by going up or down. Here is a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HO9rswe6-U&feature=youtu.be

Also, videos for every enemy if anyone needs it: SPOILERS though https://docs.google.com/document/d/1S_Q5Egn2IJh44U0q_dxOYarmEtPG_-e0GJGnmWq_pZI/edit

I think this would help immensely with Monk runs:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=371308441&searchtext=
I will probably use it if I ever try to play Monk. It may walk the fine line between quality of live improvement and cheating, but I don't want to rewire my instincts like that and then back.

JazzmanZ

so uh does this game have a replay problem?

Because I watched my replay in an All Zone run and the character took a mind of it's own at some point and died where it should not have.

CassSept

Got to the Necrodancer for the first time today and I screwed up:( Gosh, Zone 4 is really hard and after that the boss murders me :(

Vlad

Got to the Necrodancer for the first time today and I screwed up:( Gosh, Zone 4 is really hard and after that the boss murders me :(

Have you freed the guy from zone 2 yet? The one you need the glass key for? It took me a while to do (and that was before they patched it to make it easier), but having him unlocked makes completing individual zones a LOT easier.

CassSept

Have you freed the guy from zone 2 yet? The one you need the glass key for? It took me a while to do (and that was before they patched it to make it easier), but having him unlocked makes completing individual zones a LOT easier.

Yeah I freed all of them. Items at start of a zone is a great boon to my runs but it's still not enough. I can see myself getting better but it takes a while, especially since 4-2 and 4-3 are so darn fast.

There's already a thread about it, but might as well post it here for increased visibility/awareness: Crypt of the Necrodancer is coming to PS4 and Vita, with an additional chiptune soundtrack by Jake “Virt” Kaufman, the composer for Shovel Knight.

Honestly, I'm super excited for this. Can't wait to get this, Darkest Dungeons and (to a lesser extent, since I already got a lot of juice out of it back then) Super Meat Boy all in my Vita.

NoKisum

I've been dying to hear news about what's going on with the Playstation version. Didn't they have a booth at the recent PSX? I'm surprised no one posted any gameplay impressions of it.

cj_iwakura

Any advice on the last story character mode? It's like any one thing that could have been easier was tossed to the wayside. At least allow upgrades or something, sheesh.

AEREC

I've been dying to hear news about what's going on with the Playstation version. Didn't they have a booth at the recent PSX? I'm surprised no one posted any gameplay impressions of it.

I'm really looking forward to the vita version...I stopped playing it on PC to wait for it.

cj_iwakura

After struggling all weekend, I reached the final boss of Aria(insane) mode.

Just need to kill the damn thing. I really do enjoy the story, though. Has a great setup.

Kansoku

After struggling all weekend, I reached the final boss of Aria(insane) mode.

Just need to kill the damn thing. I really do enjoy the story, though. Has a great setup.

After struggling for like half a month, today I finally beat it.
Aria never again. After some time the game stopped being fun (while playing with her).

Also, I don't know if it was a bug or something, but I was disappointed there was no cutscene or anything after that. The only Aria cutscene I got was the first one when you go in Zone 4.

cj_iwakura

After struggling for like half a month, today I finally beat it.
Aria never again. After some time the game stopped being fun (while playing with her).

Also, I don't know if it was a bug or something, but I was disappointed there was no cutscene or anything after that. The only Aria cutscene I got was the first one when you go in Zone 4.

Wait, what? Sheesh, maybe I shouldn't bother then. And yeah, it has way too many restrictions. She could be able to take a better dagger, or gain more life along the way, something. It's like Demi-Fiend battle levels of BS.

Kansoku

Wait, what? Sheesh, maybe I shouldn't bother then. And yeah, it has way too many restrictions. She could be able to take a better dagger, or gain more life along the way, something. It's like Demi-Fiend battle levels of BS.

Wait until you see Coda.

Also, looking at some youtube videos, it seems it was a bug on my part.

God, this game is so good. Finally went back through Act 2 to get the shopkeeper that'll give you weapons for diamonds. Damn glass keys!

NoKisum

Man, I'm starting to lose interest in the Playstation version since Ryan Clark confirmed we can't use our own music anymore. And NecroDancer was shaping up to be the perfect portable game for me too.

Also, is there a way to play on PC without the pop out window when picking music? Mac version goes through your library in-game.

Yeesh, I just tried out Zone 3 with Eli and, howdy, does it ever get hard. So many enemies in that zone put immediate pressure, you have very little time relative to the first two zones to strategize where and when to drop bombs.

Vlad

I've done it, cleared the game with Aria.

Retired.

Ugh, I was so close to putting the game down, too. I did all four zones with Cadence and Melody, and Aria was just getting annoying. Kept picking away at her first zone time and time, and right before I was about to give up, I manage to clear it. Now I'm stuck with the "well, if I could do that, I may as well do the last three".

At least the in-game item pool for Aria is mostly adjusted to not give her a whole lot of useless items (I'm looking at you, The Lost from BoI!).

cj_iwakura

Ugh, I was so close to putting the game down, too. I did all four zones with Cadence and Melody, and Aria was just getting annoying. Kept picking away at her first zone time and time, and right before I was about to give up, I manage to clear it. Now I'm stuck with the "well, if I could do that, I may as well do the last three".

Welcome to my hell. At least it gets easier the further you get.

I was kind of dreading when I read about how Aria works, but reading further and discovering all the work they put into making it feasible (and like someone noted, basically the opposite of what was done with The Lost). It almost tempts me to try for it, one day.

Lucumo

Has the song that is being played really a connection with the beat you have to follow? If so, then me being terrible at music in general really hits home in this game.

Sai-kun

Banned
Has the song that is being played really a connection with the beat you have to follow? If so, then me being terrible at music in general really hits home in this game.

Yep, it's pretty accurate for the most part too. I've played some weird, beat-shifting songs and it always picks up on it. Always gotta move on the quarter note.

Top Bottom