• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cryptocurrency |OT| Nothing from Money

One thing is bothering me, and it might be a silly question, but I will ask it. How is it that a lot of these coins values on the markets are equal to, or in some cases, so much higher than a lot of huge companies on the stock market? I know it isnt an apples to apples comparison, but does anyone have a good link to read on how this subject?

I mean, not to be dismissive or overly simplistic, but they literally have no correlation at all.

Does the fact that the USD/EUR ratio is below the value of various stocks cause you any consternation? Should we be hesitant about holding money in USD because the 10-dollar bill doesn't have much value? Or should we be concerned about the fact that the 1000-dollar bill is valued more than most stocks?

As the saying goes - Alright, but what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

Sony

Nintendo
Looks like we are recovering but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't considering panic selling at the dip lol. Price went back up from $1.90 to $2.13 as I was turning my PC on to better monitor the price.

Price went up the moment I wanted to buy more. My first few days on the crypotocurrency trade have been nothing but stress xD Thing is, it's unnececary. My investments aren't remotely enough to get a decent profits out of the trades I do.

DonMigs85

Price went up the moment I wanted to buy more. My first few days on the crypotocurrency trade have been nothing but stress xD Thing is, it's unnececary. My investments aren't remotely enough to get a decent profits out of the trades I do.
It seems the trick is really to invest in new promising coins that start at fractions of a cent. There don't seem to be too many of those nowadays though.

gaming_noob

If you haven't already, vote a delegate. Should give you around 0,3 ARK per day.

I read about this and I've decided to just let the ARK sit in my Bittrex account. I've already read a few horror stories about Passphrase mess ups. As ARK value rises so will the compensation from the delegates. With only 1172 units of ARK I would earn, wild guess, maybe 100-150 ARK in 2 years from delegates? Probably a lot less if ARK skyrockets (crossing fingers).

Donos

I read about this and I've decided to just let the ARK sit in my Bittrex account. I've already read a few horror stories about Passphrase mess ups. As ARK value rises so will the compensation from the delegates. With only 1172 units of ARK I would earn, wild guess, maybe 100-150 ARK in 2 years from delegates? Probably a lot less if ARK skyrockets (crossing fingers).
Not sure if I'm fully getting you right. You are saying you don't want the free ARK just because you could possibly (copy and paste) fuck up while transferring all your ARK from Bittrex to the official wallet? And you are letting it stay on an exchange where it's not really yours? More power to you.

Cipherr

Not sure if I'm fully getting you right. You are saying you don't want the free ARK just because you could possibly (copy and paste) fuck up while transferring all your ARK from Bittrex to the official wallet? And you are letting it stay on an exchange where it's not really yours? More power to you.

Yeah I feel like this is a big mistake. You are given a chance to write and copy and save your passphrase. Save it and use the Ark wallet. Giving up free money in ARK in exchange for keeping your Ark on an exchange (several have been hacked before; not saying bittrex will be, but its inarguably less secure than keeping it in your personal wallet) is crazy.

You will literally be paid money to keep your ark more secure. C'mon man grab that wallet and secure your money.

Edit: After thinking I suppose Im making assumptions about his ability to secure his codes. If you are in a situation where you can't guarantee the safety of your passcodes etc then in that specific scenario it might be safer sitting on the exchange. It would be unfortunate though.

Tk0n

I have a really good feeling about STRAT for the next days. I think its the next of the "old coins" to break out. But i got no funds to divert as Im mainly in ARK, PIVX and LSK anyway. And they all look good right now and i dont want to miss the ship again.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I moved my Ark just this morning. Just keep code in safe place.

I think I'm over coinbase for BTC. Which do you guys use? Yes I read the OP but I've read some negative things about some of those.

Cipherr

I must say I'm a bit pissed since I bought BNB at over $2.50...

Yeah I have some on it too. Thankfully I only put like 60$ there, I just checked it and its WAY the hell down. lol. I would have been pretty mad had I put more there.

It's a shame too because I think the Binance/BNB idea is actually pretty solid too. Especially their long term plan to take a percentage of profits to buy and destroy coins to shift the supply/demand needle.

A really solid idea IMO. Only been a few days though, if it gets too low around the 11th Im going to buy a bigger chunk.

DonMigs85

Yeah I have some on it too. Thankfully I only put like 60$ there, I just checked it and its WAY the hell down. lol. I would have been pretty mad had I put more there.

It's a shame too because I think the Binance/BNB idea is actually pretty solid too. Especially their long term plan to take a percentage of profits to buy and destroy coins to shift the supply/demand needle.

A really solid idea IMO. Only been a few days though, if it gets too low around the 11th Im going to buy a bigger chunk.
Yeah same. I don't wanna kick myself if it hits like $20 or more by next year

Sony

Nintendo
I must say I'm a bit pissed since I bought BNB at over $2.50...

I have 522 of them... most bought over 2$. I think we bought into the hype of BNB.

And wtf @ LSK, just drop already man. I feel like I should buy as the price spike won't have time to correct itself... I really feel this'll go double digit.

Cipherr

And wtf @ LSK, just drop already man

Its waiting for everyone with discipline to buy it first so it can tank. Until then its going to continue this nonsensical multi day meteoric rise
7SmwVzH.png

Sony

Nintendo
Its waiting for everyone with discipline to buy it first so it can tank. Until then its going to continue this nonsensical multi day meteoric rise
7SmwVzH.png

Without discipline you mean? :p
I'm not even sure why LSK is rising this much. I mean, I believe in the dev team and the idea, but did it get added to a new exchange or something? What is going on?

Looks like we are recovering but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't considering panic selling at the dip lol. Price went back up from $1.90 to $2.13 as I was turning my PC on to better monitor the price.

How are you feelin' :(
I'm honestly concidering panic selling FFUUU-

Some guy on Reddit said in a Binance thread that he thinks Binance is manipulating the coin value and keeping it down, because they have to buy back the coins eventually...
The Binance CEO replied:

"This is CZ, CEO of Binance. Thank you for the very constructive analysis!

I won't comment on price, as my opinion is certainly biased (I am actually even more optimistic than your analysis :)). Many people still don't understand our value just yet. We will demonstrate this over time, and they will understand.

I will clear doubts on the second part of your analysis regarding "buy backs", or we putting pressure on the price.

First, we, the team, has not sold a single BNB coin. You can check this easily on Etherscan. The BNB contract address is: https://etherscan.io/address/0xB8c77482e45F1F44dE1745F52C74426C631bDD52 From there, you can find the contract creator's address: https://etherscan.io/address/0x00c5e04176d95a286fcce0e68c683ca0bfec8454

You can see there is 80MM BNB (the 40% for the team) sitting on the creator's address, never moved. The creator's address has a simple transaction history. From creation of the 200MM BNB, there are 14 outgoing BNB transactions, no incoming. So that means the 80MM BNB never moved out.

Regarding the "buy backs", there is 0 reason or need for us to keep the price down. We will spend 20% of each quarter's profits to buy back, at market value. If the market value of BNB is high, then we can only buy a small portion back each time. It will take a long time for us finish the buy back. But that's ok. The value of the coin is high, the BNB holders will be happy. We hold a decent number of coins, we are happy. If the value of the coin is low, then we will be able to buy a larger portion back each time, and hence increase the value of the remaining coins, making everyone happy again.

I hope this clears up the doubt. We are working very hard to increase value of the coin, but some market fluctuations are unavoidable. You can only buy when other people sell. Every drop is an opportunity.

Thank you for your strong support in Binance.com. Stay tuned for more rapid developments..."

https://www.reddit.com/r/binance/comments/6w1xcm/binance_bnb_coin_value_analysis/

Tk0n

For you BNB holders: You cant expect that the coin of your choice will rise all the time. Or be above the price you bought it for forever. Sometimes it corrects after a big pump just to prepare for the next. Sometimes you have a month long decline and all of a sudden the price jumps.

For instance: lisk was below the price, i bought it for, for two months. Now its 150% above my invest. (But im sure the correction will be bad) ARK had been slowly declining for 2 months before the last jump.

BNB made quite big moves and a correction is expected. It might be back in no time.

Ofcourse, you could have a DGB situation, like me. It price is almost a 4th of the price i bought it for... I dont expect it to recover anytime soon if ever.

It helps if you diversify your portfolio. Dont put all your money in "the hot coin of the day".
And if you invest while the price is jumping upwards, you might be buying at the peak.

I just read iota will be listed at binance soon. Cool. Maybe i have another look at it.

Sony

Nintendo
^I need a reality slap every once in a while. It was an absolute rookie mistake to buy that much BNB. I want to get in on the LSK boat, but at its current price it's too high for me.. I keep hoping and expecting a correction but coin keeps growing.

Anyways, IOTA is a nice concept and is being added to binance soon indeed, hope that gives both BNB and IOTA a boost. I'm not too sure at which price I should invest in IOTA though. When I do, I'm in it for the long term. Te idea of IOTA is nice, but I'm not too optmistic about the dev team.

Tk0n

At the initial surge of ANS/NEO it dropped from 15 or so $ back to 5$ after the press conference and people flipped out because they bought at 15. Look where it is now. Dont give up hope. You never know.

Donos

Also don't put to much faith/hope into coin xy getting added to exchange xy. If the exchange is not on of the really big/popular ones, it's not really worth the hype.
Some subreddits read like constant ".... is soon going to be added to ..... and then to the moooon". Or "let's get xy to Poloniex/XY exchange. Write them!"

DNT...

Tk0n

Also don't put to much faith/hope into coin xy getting added to exchange xy. If the exchange is not on of the really big/popular ones, it's not really worth the hype.
Some subreddits read like constant ".... is soon going to be added to ..... and then to the moooon".

DNT...

Same goes for "rebrand coming soon" or "wait till china wakes up".

Sony

Nintendo
Same goes for "rebrand coming soon" or "wait till china wakes up".

I hope LSK rebrand causes it to nosedive :p need tp buy some.
I have a modest ARK stash, want to buy some more but it's practially at ath now, if you odn't concider it's launch.

tanuki

I have quite a lot in binance, basically all my Neo profits, and it does suck to see it drop so much. But I'm just gonna ride it out and see how I goes. I still think it could reach $5 or $10 given time. (Hopefully...)

Donos

With BNB there is a clear useability of the coin (fees) so i would not be too worried about the price in the future. Although i guess Binance keeps "influencing" it if they want/need to.

Sony

Nintendo
Lisk going for the next run :D

It defies logic, why does it keep rising?? Now I'm 100% confident I missed the LSK boat, this won't drop substantially anymore.

LSK crashes once before so I'm very cautious to buying this high. But damn, every day this coins rises with 1.5 dollar... I wonder if there is gonna be a crash at all.. What do you guys think?

Sony

Nintendo
I think it's highly unlikely that it won't fall back a bit at some point.

Fall back to which point though? If it keeps growing like this, it could fall back to a point that is higher than now. To think that I had this 33LSK@3.12 euro.. Could have had a nice 100 euro profit by now. Maybe I'll invest the missed profit into this coin and set a put option to sell the coins if I get lose more than 30 euro it.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
NEO does not drop under 0.0087, when it reaches that level, price got pumped a bit...rinse and repeat.

Fall back to which point though?

Somewhere in range from 0.00098 (highly unlikely) to 0.001500 BTC (latest support level).

Of course I am no expert in TA, those are purely my predictions and it is very possible that I am dead wrong :p

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Yeah I'm impressed with the Smoothness of the TNT ico, got all the coins out a week ahead of schedule, had no issues getting them into my wallet.

It has the same issue as a lot of coins for me in that the tech is great and has value but I don't really see why the coin blockchain is worth anything but hey at least it seems well run.

Sulik2

Just be patient with BNB their entire use case for the coin guarantees it will go up in value. Just stick it in a wallet and sit on it for a year and then check the value. The way this coin is being used it's hard to imagine it not going up because of the buy backs.

Sony

Nintendo
I don't understand why Lisk is getting so much attention, but it makes me even more confident with my ARK bag :D

The idea behind it is pretty neat, but imo, not +100% in 3 days neat. I has some ARK, want to buy some more when it drops to the 0.000365 area.

But yeah, Lisk's success is puzzling. Even the reddit was pretty much dead ago and most of the communication now is 7.15!! to the moon!! etc. Like it came out of nowhere.
The reason I bought some a couple of days ago was ahead of the rebrand. But then I saw it dipping a bit and the n00b that I am, I sold it instead of held it.

pieface

The idea behind it is pretty neat, but imo, not +100% in 3 days neat. I has some ARK, want to buy some more when it drops to the 0.000365 area.

But yeah, Lisk's success is puzzling. Even the reddit was pretty much dead ago and most of the communication now is 7.15!! to the moon!! etc. Like it came out of nowhere.
The reason I bought some a couple of days ago was ahead of the rebrand. But then I saw it dipping a bit and the n00b that I am, I sold it instead of held it.

It's got to be purely speculation about a rebrand which apparently they've been on about for 1.5 years.

I think people are just chasing the next neo and are hoping lisk is it. Meh, i think their Dpos system sucks.

gaming_noob

Which delegate for Ark have you guys voted for? I will just select whoever replies first. Thanks!

Edit: just voted for Jarunik - found Donos' post about it.

Sony

Nintendo
LSK slightly down.. fingers crossed for a crash xD what to do.. what to do..
Yesssss... yesss.... mooore. MOOORE

Cipherr

Lisk pls..... I dont have any of you. stop

For you BNB holders: You cant expect that the coin of your choice will rise all the time. Or be above the price you bought it for forever. Sometimes it corrects after a big pump just to prepare for the next. Sometimes you have a month long decline and all of a sudden the price jumps.

For instance: lisk was below the price, i bought it for, for two months. Now its 150% above my invest. (But im sure the correction will be bad) ARK had been slowly declining for 2 months before the last jump.

BNB made quite big moves and a correction is expected. It might be back in no time.

Ofcourse, you could have a DGB situation, like me. It price is almost a 4th of the price i bought it for... I dont expect it to recover anytime soon if ever.

It helps if you diversify your portfolio. Dont put all your money in "the hot coin of the day".
And if you invest while the price is jumping upwards, you might be buying at the peak.

I just read iota will be listed at binance soon. Cool. Maybe i have another look at it.

Thanks for this. Im going to be putting in thousands slowly from Sept to end of December so learning these lessons early will probably serve me so well. I burned up some cash trying to day trade style chasing gainers and learned that it was a bad idea. Now to just learn to stop freaking out on dips like BNB and Ill be ready by the time I actually start putting decent money into the system.

Sony

Nintendo
Lisk pls..... I dont have any of you. stop

Thanks for this. Im going to be putting in thousands slowly from Sept to end of December so learning these lessons early will probably serve me so well. I burned up some cash trying to day trade style chasing gainers and learned that it was a bad idea. Now to just learn to stop freaking out on dips like BNB and Ill be ready by the time I actually start putting decent money into the system.

Why would you want LSK to stop if you dont have them? :p

I'm not sure what to do with LSK, invest now that it's down or leave it as is. I still think it's a bit overvalued but I don't think I've seen a 100% rise and 50% drop so for in 4 days.

Top Bottom