• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2: Black Fire Mod. You will say OMG

faridmon said:
WTF? Crysis didn't look that bad, didn't?
No, don't think so. Number of people seem to think this was pre-dx11 patch and on low setting.

I'm not impressed with the screenshots, although I haven't played through the game yet I have saw enough to be impressed with the graphics of Vanillia which I am not with this. It kills the mood and is delivering a bad comparison.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
LovingSteam said:
Holy shit

ebKUM.gif
What? The person who made the "improved" shadows has never stood under a tree.

The M.O.B

godhandiscen said:

Yup, a quick google for tree shadows brings up this.

stock-photo-tree-shadow-on-plaza-bricks-33551329.jpg

Crytek had it right and these guys messed it up, just another reason this mod isn't making me say OMG.

NateDrake

Between the GTA4 mod and now this, I hope next-gen systems deliver visuals like these two games but better. Certainly has me anticipating what the next-gen will offer.

Looks very nice, but Crysis 2 on my xbox looks better than those original comparison pics.

But if anything the game needs an AI mod.

Demon Ice

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:
I don't know if the texture pack is working correctly for me. Some textures seem improved, others aren't'.

For example I can't replicate this:

http://i.imgur.com/2zjG8.gif[img][/QUOTE]

Are you running DX11? Looks like there is some POM going on in that "Improved" shot.

saunderez

I'm not a fan. Whilst the DOF is nice, they've managed to make NYC look far too clean for a warzone. And whats the deal with replacing the soft shadows for trees?

scitek

Yeah, I hope someone's working on an AI mod. I don't like the lighting, too much contrast. I've been playing with Maldo's textures for a while but didn't know there was a version 2.0 out, so thanks for that.

Gav47

Wow, shadow all of the things, the only shot that look better than the original is the one with the pebbles on the beach, the wooden planks would have looked better if the rocks in the top right hand corner weren't in such sharp contrast with them.

I like mods that do this sort of thing, developer are too hampered by having to deliver a product that will run on the maximum number of machines as possible to make games that look this good.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
I don't know if the texture pack is working correctly for me. Some textures seem improved, others aren't'.

For example I can't replicate this:

2zjG8.gif

I'm not trying to be picky but, other than the papers and the tire where is the rest of the debri? Looks like they just replaced the mapped ground texture with a big seamless rock texture they found online somewhere. It does look better though, glad I never paid for the game I had no idea it looked that bad. That's some duke nukem' shit right there.

Also, the guy looks like he is opening his eye and then closing it again pretending to be asleep. Once you see it you can't unsee it.

MidgarBlowedUp said:
I'm not trying to be picky but, other than the papers and the tire where is the rest of the debri? Looks like they just replaced the mapped ground texture with a big seamless rock texture they found online somewhere. It does look better though, glad I never paid for the game I had no idea it looked that bad. That's some duke nukem' shit right there.

Also, the guy looks like he is opening his eye and then closing it again pretending to be asleep. Once you see it you can't unsee it.

Don't let some crap pics fool you. Yeah some assets aren't that good, that can happen to any game to place things in a bad light.

Crysis 2 is easily one of the best looking and running games out there. Duke Nukem would have been lucky to be half as good looking.

And Directx11 mode can tear systems.

neoism

where do you put it... steam version... I install the texture pack in my mods folder under common in the steam folder... its still not up in the the mods tab in the game :(

Some stuff looks much better, other bits... not so.

Does DX11 still rape AMD cards? I have a 6950 so I've waited out because I read performance was so shit.

scitek

So, I did mess with that shadow jittering option, and I think 0.4 looks terrible, but I set it to 6 instead.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Dabanton said:
I'm sorry but LOL

The first picture is hilarious the original looks better in both mood and lighting these modders seem to have a bright daylight fetish.

http://www.abload.de/img/qeydufuzjfodq.gif[IMG]

[IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/kjll6fr4k.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
You're a fan of piss filter?

Plywood said:
You're a fan of piss filter?

That section of the game is set in an area where aliens have destroyed a ton of the city and are releasing gross-ass spores. It's not green and hazy for no reason. Things don't need to be pristine and picturesque everywhere.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
BigJiantRobut said:
That section of the game is set in an area where aliens have destroyed a ton of the city and are releasing gross-ass spores. It's not green and hazy for no reason. Things don't need to be pristine and picturesque everywhere.
That's a good reason but I still like it. Then again I'm a fan of the RE5 piss filter removal mod.

Radec

I NEED SCISSORS said:
This mod has some standout areas but the lighting in the daytime is so bad it makes it look like it has no lighting, and at night time there are crushed blacks.

[/IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/crysis22011-08-0101-24bp90.png[/IMG]

cantseeshit.png

the fuck ?

Now it's much harder to see the enemies! (not those cloaking bastards).

Some pics are outstanding though.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
MidgarBlowedUp said:

You can make any game look awful if you try.

Smokey

Meh.

They cranked the brightness and contrast way to high for my liking. Also the game is meant to look foggy in certain areas, not as bright as possible. The textures are good though. Think I'll stick with DX11 + Hi-res pack.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Their color grading and lighting looks like a joke compared to the original. The comparisons are so carefully selected it's ridiculous.

That night screen shows how fast it all falls apart.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
MidgarBlowedUp said:
I'm not trying to be picky but, other than the papers and the tire where is the rest of the debri? Looks like they just replaced the mapped ground texture with a big seamless rock texture they found online somewhere.
I'm pretty sure the rocky texture is from the original Crysis.

faridmon said:
WTF? Crysis didn't look that bad, didn't?

No, it didn't. Those seem to be some crazy cherry picked screens to me. Crysis 2 looks amazing, especially with the DX11 & High Res Texture updates. Some aspects of this mod seem appealing, but overall and especially with that night time picture someone posted, it just isn't worth it.

Xane

bhlaab said:
Increase Contrast to 999999999999
Open Textures in Photoshop Render>Sharpen Render>Sharpen Render>Sharpen
Replace Some Textures with a bunch of clashing google image search images

congrats you have just made a popular graphical overhaul mod
Nailed it.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
bhlaab said:
I want so much bloom I don't know what to do with it. Crank that shit up to 11!
On the other hand I want it so the shadow of a flower is darker than the most moonless of nights.
I want as much tesselation as my gpu can handle. Seriously I want every inch of the main character's hand to be like a rocky crag because more is better.
I want planks of wood to be inexplicably ten times more detailed than any other object in the game.
I want color theory to go fuck itself
Also I want the main character to be carrying a katana for some reason!!!!!!! RAD

yes, that would be good.

ss_lemonade

For those shadow pics, couldn't you adjust the shadow blur via ini files/console? I remember doing the same in the original crysis (shadowjittering cvar)

saunderez

georaldc said:
For those shadow pics, couldn't you adjust the shadow blur via ini files/console? I remember doing the same in the original crysis (shadowjittering cvar)
Yeah you can fix it, the point is it never needed fixing. Shadows are soft in real life, just like how Crytek originally had them.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
saunderez said:
Yeah you can fix it, the point is it never needed fixing. Shadows are soft in real life, just like how Crytek originally had them.

actually softer shadows require more resources to render.

NBtoaster

LovingSteam said:

Um...the old armor color wasn't blue. Terrible comparisons and some bad changes.

The sharp shadows just look like he's removed the shadow jittering and increased their resolution to the max the game supports.

What the game needs is for someone to fix the bugged tesselation and oafish AI.

RiverBed

Banned
This is what Crysis 2 should have looked like from the start. I was very disappointed by how C2 didn't have the same wow factor as C1 did given the years they are apart and advancement in tech...fuck, they didn't even build it with DX11 out of the game...
godhandiscen said:
I like the 'wow' factor to be there regardless of 'reality'. The shadows in the mod look much better- regardless of how shade looks in real life. Get a grip people.

saunderez

RiverBed said:
I like the 'wow' factor to be there regardless of 'reality'. The shadows in the mod look much better- regardless of how shade looks in real life. Get a grip people.
How does it looks better? If by better you mean ignoring the semi-translucent properties of leaves then yeah its heaps better. To me the new shadowing looks wrong. The original shadowing is consistent with my experiences of how shadows actually work.

NBtoaster

RiverBed said:
This is what Crysis 2 should have looked like from the start. I was very disappointed by how C2 didn't have the same wow factor as C1 did given the years they are apart and advancement in tech...fuck, they didn't even build it with DX11 out of the game...

There's little wow factor. It makes the shadows look a lot more aliased and the shadow cascades more obvious. Having a softness to the edges makes it look a lot better.

Which of these looks better to you?

Jittering at 0.1:

http://i.imgur.com/exRm0.jpg

Jittering at 2.5 (default ultra setting)

http://i.imgur.com/9uL0m.jpg

Jittering at 1.0

http://i.imgur.com/eRYwO.jpg

mandiller

Alrighty. I've given the mod a bit of a spin. I'm running Crysis 2 with the latest patch and DX11 on Ultra. I applied the mod and this is the result.

"MAXIMUM SETTINGS" (said in the suit voice)

UBCPSh.jpg

zAXQOh.jpg

74OWoh.jpg

DgMZwh.jpg

t222Vh.jpg

CLICK HERE for a gallery of images I took at full resolution.

Top Bottom