• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2: Black Fire Mod. You will say OMG

ss_lemonade

Just tried it, and here's what I think:

- First loaded up the 3rd map. Beginning indoors was a wee bit too dark, but when I got outside, I kinda liked the change of TOD lighting. I also like the shadows, despite not being realistic
- Next I loaded up the 2nd map. Again, indoors were too dark and some textures were too oversharpened. Encountered some shadow and texture bugs but what hit me the most was the absense of fog underwater. You could see just as clear as normal when diving and it just looks terrible.

Ukp2Oh.jpg

- Loaded up the final map. This level was amazing on stock dx11 but now, it looks hilariously bad. Lighting is waaay too bright and again the absense of fog to cover up the normal flaws just made me scratch my head. Did they even test this thing and if they did, how in the world did this pass their QA

rfumkh.jpg

Please tell me something's wrong with my install

ss_lemonade

scitek said:
What QA? Some guy on a forum made it.
Yeah well, I figured if I made a mod such as this I would at least test it out on all maps/levels to see which parts look bad and try to fix them because seriously, you'd be blind to not notice the issues I pointed out.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
georaldc said:
Just tried it, and here's what I think:

- First loaded up the 3rd map. Beginning indoors was a wee bit too dark, but when I got outside, I kinda liked the change of TOD lighting. I also like the shadows, despite not being realistic
- Next I loaded up the 2nd map. Again, indoors were too dark and some textures were too oversharpened. Encountered some shadow and texture bugs but what hit me the most was the absense of fog underwater. You could see just as clear as normal when diving and it just looks terrible.

Ukp2Oh.jpg

- Loaded up the final map. This level was amazing on stock dx11 but now, it looks hilariously bad. Lighting is waaay too bright and again the absense of fog to cover up the normal flaws just made me scratch my head. Did they even test this thing and if they did, how in the world did this pass their QA

rfumkh.jpg

Please tell me something's wrong with my install

You will say OMG

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
MisterAnderson said:
I watched the two videos in the beginning and didn't see the difference... the screenshots make it look like night and day though.
Yeah, careful selections can do that. Just look up a post and you can see the complete opposite happen.

So anyone who's installed this - how does it run? Does it chug?

What setup are you running and resolution etc?

I'd like to try it out, but not if it needs more grunt...

ColonialRaptor said:
So anyone who's installed this - how does it run? Does it chug?

What setup are you running and resolution etc?

I'd like to try it out, but not if it needs more grunt...

Runs just as smooth for me as Crysis 2 already did while maxed out.

commedieu

Banned
The M.O.B said:
Yup, a quick google for tree shadows brings up this.

stock-photo-tree-shadow-on-plaza-bricks-33551329.jpg

Crytek had it right and these guys messed it up, just another reason this mod isn't making me say OMG.

Really... You're not impressed at all because the one shot, of the tree's shadow isn't diffused enough...

my OMG is at how shitty C2 is, and how a texture mod looks better than a retail release for 60.00, how much of a downgrade it was from Crysis.

The textures look several times better, not sure if you can discount it due to a tree shadow.

saunderez

commedieu said:
Really... You're not impressed at all because the one shot, of the tree's shadow isn't diffused enough...
They did that to all shadows in the game. Soft shadowing is reality.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
commedieu said:

my OMG is at how shitty C2 is, and how a texture mod looks better than a retail release for 60.00, how much of a downgrade it was from Crysis.

The textures look several times better, not sure if you can discount it due to a tree shadow.
The texture pack is a separate mod. They just packaged them together.

commedieu

Banned
saunderez said:
They did that to all shadows in the game. Soft shadowing is reality.

Again,

soft shadowing is causing you to packup and go home...

Please...

I don't have c2, no interest in it. But whomever, did a good job. outside of the totally reality breaking storm-out-the-room shadows :)

Dibbz

commedieu said:
Again,

soft shadowing is causing you to packup and go home...

Please...

I don't have c2, no interest in it. But whomever, did a good job. outside of the totally reality breaking storm-out-the-room shadows :)
Err yeah getting rid of soft shadows is a completely stupid thing to do. Couple that with the fact the lighting is completely messed up on most levels and the fact the texture pack is from a completely separate guy just stuffed into this mod. More than enough reasons there to stay clear of this.

markao

Anabuhabkuss said:
Guys

http://www.crydev.net/viewtopic.php?f=308&t=71027

Having problem with the 6th step. I can not make any changes to Target. What gives?

Running on Win7 64 bit

EDIT: Nevermind. Didn't need to mess with it. Tried the MOD for a stage. Have to agree, lighting is bad, textures are great. Would rather just play using DX11/HighTex and sacrifice textures for better lighting.
Keep an eye on Maldo's, the guy doing the textures, blog .

He's working on an update, to fix some of the issues with the Crysis 2 dx 11 update.

modulaire

Installed it... yeah, I don't like it at all.

The complete visual package of the original Crysis2 is much better and consistent than this mod (at the moment).

So I uninstalled the game from my PC and deleted any remaining files and did a fresh install.

I followed all the steps outlined here but for some reason the MaLDo HD Texture Mod doesn't work.

It says that on the main screen you should see both logo's. Sadly I only see Blackfire's logo.

I uninstalled it again, and reinstalled it..same deal.

I decided to play anyway. The game looked great till I got outside. Everything close to me looks nice and sharp, but anything in the distance/background is blurry as fuck. It makes it hard to spot enemies.

If I stop and aim down the scope, they come into focus, but the rest of the background and anything else in my field of view (aside the gun) is badly out of focus :(

Why didn't you just make a thread for that instead of posting in a thread for another mod?

EDIT: Oh. Junior. Well, why didn't you ask someone to make a thread?

Gvaz

Banned
Why didn't you just make a thread for that instead of posting in a thread for another mod?

EDIT: Oh. Junior. Well, why didn't you ask someone to make a thread?
I don't personally like making new threads for content on a thing, because it should be self contained so that people can view it who're subbed to that thread. *sub pops up in control panel you were F5ing* oh hey new posts? New content? Sweet!

Exceptions would be the Nehrim conversion mod or something "big"

Top Bottom